2017 DDP Changes

markpenske

Mouseketeer
Yesterday I downloaded the 2017 DDP guide. I noticed some big changes.
- No dessert with quick meals.
- 2 snacks per day
- The big issue that I see is the number of dining locations is much smaller than 2016.
Example: Only 5 table services are included at Epcot. Only one at Disney Springs.
We normally stay at the Coronado and this year No quick service or table service meals on the DDP. Seems like lot of our favorites (W. Pucks, Maya grill, Earl of Sandwich, T-Rex, Raglin Rd............) are not on the plan this year.

Last edited:
The big issue that I see is the number of dining locations is much smaller than 2016.

This is temporary. All third-party owned eateries negotiate contracts in December. The brochure is not yet updated for eateries who had until the end of December to complete contracts/negotiations.

All of the restaurants you mention are accepting DDP. The brochure is more static than the web site.

Yeah, and the quick service dessert loss for extra snack is a wash or better for basic DDP (it's a net loss on QSDP, but more flexible at least).

Are they going to still allow the beverage to be swapped for a snack/side?

It is still written into the brochure that the drink may be substituted for a snack at QS locations, but there is also fine print saying they don't have to do so. BoG has taken that route, and you cannot sub your drink for anything there.

I do not use the dining plan because we do not see the value in it, but I will comment on the change. I do not think removing dessert is a huge deal because, generally speaking, they are not good. I do think a price increase with the removal of an item stinks, though. More reason it is not a good value.

I do not use the dining plan because we do not see the value in it, but I will comment on the change. I do not think removing dessert is a huge deal because, generally speaking, they are not good. I do think a price increase with the removal of an item stinks, though. More reason it is not a good value.
But they removed the QS dessert and added a snack. It's a wash, and for the better.

It's a loss on the quick service plan.
THe QS desserts get old fast, but having the ability ti have two snacks can be a huge value to some. I dont get that plan, but I do use the snack on the DDP for Starbucks and holy value! Two of the drinks the way I like them can increase the value of snacks a great deal, increasing the value of the plan for me. As always, it is important to knwo how folks use the plan before insisting it will not be value for them.

THe QS desserts get old fast, but having the ability ti have two snacks can be a huge value to some. I dont get that plan, but I do use the snack on the DDP for Starbucks and holy value! Two of the drinks the way I like them can increase the value of snacks a great deal, increasing the value of the plan for me. As always, it is important to knwo how folks use the plan before insisting it will not be value for them.

But you don't have to get a quick service dessert. We never got a QS dessert on the ddp. We always substituted for a side. That was the value. Get an entree plus two sides instead instead of the dessert and drink. It made sharing and stretching your meals easy.

The change is definitely for the better on the regular ddp, but it's still a loss on the quick service dining plan. Remember.....you are losing two sides per day, but it is only getting replaced with one snack. A loss.

But you don't have to get a quick service dessert. We never got a QS dessert on the ddp. We always substituted for a side. That was the value. Get an entree plus two sides instead instead of the dessert and drink. It made sharing and stretching your meals easy.

The change is definitely for the better on the regular ddp, but it's still a loss on the quick service dining plan. Remember.....you are losing two sides per day, but it is only getting replaced with one snack. A loss.

I realize that, but you cannot substitute everywhere. If you can sub four a side, and you want that side, yes, the value is lost. If you cannot sub and had to get the dessert then, there goes the value. No matter....it is work to plan! LOL!

I realize that, but you cannot substitute everywhere. If you can sub four a side, and you want that side, yes, the value is lost. If you cannot sub and had to get the dessert then, there goes the value. No matter....it is work to plan! LOL!

The places we like to eat, all offer substitutions. If you don't want to sub in a soup/salad/fries etc... with your entree and you don't want dessert or an extra drink, then sure, taking away two sides/desserts and offering one extra snack will give you more flexibility, but I still consider it a loss.

The biggest loss for me will be losing the ability to substitute dessert for French onion soup at BOG. Now I will use a snack credit.

Where can you not sub a dessert for a side? I know they wouldn't let you swap the drink and BOG, but I've never heard anyone mention a place where you couldn't swap a dessert.

Where can you not sub a dessert for a side? I know they wouldn't let you swap the drink and BOG, but I've never heard anyone mention a place where you couldn't swap a dessert.

I honestly cannot answer that. I only have the posts here that indicate all restaurants are not in board, or that the substitutions are limited. We usually get the ddp or Dxddp and manage the credits so no substitutions are necessary.

But they removed the QS dessert and added a snack. It's a wash, and for the better.

If we didn't want dessert with our meal we would sub for a side, or get something we could snack on later. We never use a meal for breakfast, so to is it is not a wash, but loss.

If we didn't want dessert with our meal we would sub for a side, or get something we could snack on later. We never use a meal for breakfast, so to is it is not a wash, but loss.
For you it's a loss, for us it's a wash. When we have QS meals, we're not looking for more sides to add, because what it comes with already it plenty for us. Just like the DDP doesn't work at all for some families, for others it does.

I honestly cannot answer that. I only have the posts here that indicate all restaurants are not in board, or that the substitutions are limited. We usually get the ddp or Dxddp and manage the credits so no substitutions are necessary.

And that is why the change is a benefit to you.

For you it's a loss, for us it's a wash. When we have QS meals, we're not looking for more sides to add, because what it comes with already it plenty for us. Just like the DDP doesn't work at all for some families, for others it does.

Do you get the quick service dining plan or the regular dining plan?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter