2015 destash - Purge Purge Purge, Purge is the word

I shredded a bunch of old receipts, junk mail, credit card offers and old rx recipets, bills etc. I had to empty the shredder basket 3 times! Cleared off my desk. Threw out an old faded hoodie with broken zipper, decorative pillow , a few old lil junk pieces and a bag of junk mail envelopes, junk mail inserts, papers and misc trash. Tomorrow I plan on hitting my closet.

I still have a bunch of clothes I need to repost on craigs list and FB sales page. I have a party next month so I'm trying to declutter and give the house a good cleaning.

The other day I went through one cabinet and tossed a few things. I get a week off in Dec so I hope to really hit the bedrooms

Tossed out a bunch getting ready for our big move next weekend! No real furniture items to get rid of here, but threw out a lot of old papers and whatnot. I have a couple books I might try to trade in on Amazon, but honestly I don't know that I'll get anything for them. We also managed to sell a pedestal sink we're not using from our new house on Craigslist for $100! We still have two light fixtures and a ceiling fan to sell. The ceiling fan sells new at Lowe's for $200 so we're hoping to get $100 for it.

I'm giving away two garbage bags of clothes to someone I know who will use and appreciate whatever fits her or her daughter. I really wish I could help this woman more!

I also got rid of one bag of trash.

I've rearranged my bedroom so my sister can move in for a few months during her divorce transition. I've been in her shoes and I hope this helps her heal. I cleaned out my closet as well and put away items and rearranged the rest. I've freed up quite a bit of space! I need to find a new home for my bike so maybe the living room? Maybe I will finally get through my scrapbooking stuff! Only a couple of weeks left until she moved in but I'm hoping it's only for a few months til she moves out. I like my space!

Just took a big bin of kids clothes and a bag with toys and books to Once Upon a Child. I'm going back in a bit, but I hope they took a bunch of it! Sold a few things on Craig's List. Trying to go through all the toys we have out, to see if there is anything that we can get rid of or sell to make room for Christmas toys. It's a vicious cycle! Some goes out, more comes in!

I hit my bedroom for a lil bit. My allergies are acting up from the closet dust :/ Hubby has stuff next to my closet side so its hard to get into the very end part of my side of the closet. That side gets so dusty because of it. Everytime I try getting something I ALWAYS trip because of his side drawer and pile next to it. I finally told him I'm done dealing with it!!!!! I don't need to hurt myself. I'm thinking of getting rid of his larger chest drawers and getting a smaller one to go under our window where I have my long dresser. I'm wiling to get rid of my dresser. We have an older home so our master room isn't very big. I figure getting rid of both items the dresser/chest drawer will give us more room and less junk we had store in them.

I got rid of
-a pair of old shoes
- a pair of heels I wore once will go on CL
-an old wallet
-shoe box
-broken curling iron
-curling iron box
-5 pair of brand new Victoria secret cotton under wear with tags still attached. I gave those to my daughter
-some old make up
-folder
-bag of trash
-lots of dust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still need to go through my drawers and closet/clothes

I debating to hit my spare room . I know I'm all over the palce-lol! I just feel my bedroom wont be completely don't until my husband takes care of his side. My spare room I have more control of.

We got rid of a giant computer armoire this week and the room looks so much bigger now! I'm hunting CL for a better desk for DH with space for dual monitors. I need to go through the stuff we took out of the armoire and hopefully pitch some of it. There is also a big pile of papers to shred and that is on the agenda for today.

I had hoped to get the rest of the basement carpet ripped out this weekend but don't think that will happen now. I did organize the give away pile and still need to address things in the corner of the basement. I've had a house of teens since Friday night and was not able to work down there. There is a big bag of trash from last weekend that needs to go out tomorrow night and a few more things from the garage. I may go through my closet again because I know there are things I can't or won't wear again.

I should probably focus on finishing one area but it depends on my mood and what I feel like tackling. It looks so much better though so I'm happy. I don't think our garage has been this cleared out in years and I hope to keep it this way through the winter. I guess one of the benefits of the kids getting older is less stuff but it's been hard to get rid of the childhood things.

There have been a few requests for a guitar I listed on CL and have a few more things I'd like to list this week. It is such a pain sometimes but the extra cash is nice for certain items.

I got the garage cleaned out to get ready for the Boy Scout wreaths coming this weekend. I did throw out some things, but some just got shifted to the basement. However, I did give away winter coats and boots and mailed another box of work journals. I need my kids to go through their board games. I will keep a few for nostalgia (like Candyland), but some others need to go.

I'm also all over the place with purging. I tackled another kitchen cabinet this morning and am getting rid of some plastic cups and bowls & a plastic pitcher & a couple older drying cloths. Also put a kids game aside for selling/donating as they never play it anymore.

When we moved into our home, people that helped us move, just placed items and boxes either in the basement or garage. The garage was really ok, but nothing was really organized. So, we tackled the garage and I wanted to clean the steps leading down into the basement, so I could paint the steps. Both shop vacuum's did not work. My dh tried to fix them. I used one and it was blowing so much dust, my dh looked down the steps towards me and yelled it wasn't working. I stopped what I was doing, picked it up and threw it in the garbage bin. I told him the other one was going in the garbage too. So 2 items that should of been thrown away years ago. Sad part-we have to go buy a new one.

Took a big load of stuff to Goodwill this weekend and went through some more gloves, scarves, belts, etc. to get rid of last night. I'm hoping to clear a couple more things out of my closet when we move. I really don't have THAT much, but I know I'm holding on to a lot of t-shirts for sentimental value from things, like DH buying it for me on a trip or something. It's the kind of thing I'd rather have to remind me of something we did rather than have the extra room in my closet, so I will likely hold on to those. Still working on selling our ceiling fan/light combo and had one person text about it. Maybe we can identify some more things to get rid of us we pack up the last little bit!

Wow.... some of you are STILL making great progress this year! I have made VERY LITTLE progress and it makes me sad! I hate the thought of starting 2016 with the same clutter I started 2015 with!

That being said.... I put 18 listings on Ebay with "buy now" prices and I will honestly take much less than the asking price, just to get a few $ in my pocket and some junk from the house! Plus I posted something on a FB yard sale site in June that got zero responses... UNTIL TODAY! And now I have TWO people who want the item! WOOHOO! I'm going to take this as a sign and relist a few other items I have languishing here!...................P

I just called VVA and scheduled a pick up for Monday. I'll be giving them 3 bags full of clothes and shoes, plus another bag of toys and games that the kids don't ever use. :yay:
I finished going through my closet and dresser with the KonMari method- although I will admit I have a spare room closet with my dressy clothes (you know the ones you keep for a wedding or "in case" you go out for New Year's Eve...) that I have yet to go through. I have also given away a box of clothes to a friend of the family who is struggling a bit financially. She was so grateful!!
I did a mini-purge in my son's room. We sorted out some papers and old school supplies, and ditched some empty boxes and things he didn't even want, and then found a home for all of his legos. How did he get so many???
My goal for this weekend is to try to either get through that closet or start going through the kids' play room. Honestly I don't know where they would put any new toys they might get for christmas!!!

-edited to add- We ended up with 5 bags of give aways- after finding more clothes and shoes, and some additional toys and games. :)

Last edited:
Everyone was off today, so the kids gave me a few minutes to sort through and purge board games. Then DD was inspired on her own to sort through the basket of hats and gloves. I've got another bag full that I am washing and taking to a kids charity next week. I did have to draw the line at giving away ALL the extra pairs like DD wanted to. When we are shoveling out after a snowstorm, it is nice to have dry gloves on hand! :thumbsup2

Dropped off the gloves to the kids charity, mailed another box of work journals, and took 7-8 boxes of board games and clothes to the thrift store. I started to clear out the basement area to make room for the artificial Christmas tree we put there, and I came across more items that I needed family input on. We did that after dinner tonight, and now I have a few more boxes for the thrift store!

Scheduled a meeting to sell the kids train table and listed the sand/water table. Also finally made it through scanning all the artwork from June until present and recycled it all! Threw 3 broken Christmas items while decorating. Two I didn't realize were broken at the end of last year and the other broke while decorating. Also put 5 Christmas items in the donate box.

OK everyone the holidays are upon us, remember the rule!! One thing in, two things out!! 5 presents under the tree, 10 items gone gone gone!

I will be starting a new thread around Christmas. Got any catchy titles?

I have cleaned in my bedroom - all my drawers in my dressers and half of my walk-in closet from top shelf to the floor. I am going to clean out the other half next weekend and start on our spare bedroom and the toy closet in the living room. I have two tubs for our yard sale in the spring, 3 tall trash bags full of junk, shredded a huge stack of papers, items to go to the consignment store in a Feb., and sorted 2 storage boxes of pictures to 1 box threw some away and made 4 stacks to hand to family. I was going to start on it when I retired in June but decided not to wait.

over the past week I have sold our 3 unused car seats on Craig's list! Phew! Those things took up a ton of room in our laundry room. I have another bin and bag to take to Once upon a child, hopefully this weekend. And we donated a few stuffed animals at my daughter's karate class. They were taking donations for kids in the hospital. Feels good to get rid of some things as I know we will soon be a bit more cluttered with new Christmas toys.

Finally emptied out our old file cabinet (why were we saving all of this junk??) and reorganized our important papers! Shredded like crazy! Still have to scan some things and shred some more - so happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter