2015 destash - Purge Purge Purge, Purge is the word

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
Welcome to the 2015 destash thread.
This is where we talk about our accomplishments, our dilemmas, and our goals for decluttering our home and our lives.

I'm in again this year.

Tomorrow I plan on tackling the master bedroom and bath area.

We're making our last donation of the year tomorrow.

Is this when I get rid of 57 years of useless Christmas gifts? :rotfl2:

I'm in. I moved and still need to purge stuff. I did good last week, got rid of one small box and took it to the trunk of my car. My goal is to get rid of at least one box a month next year and hopefully if I have to move again it will be with less stuff.

I lurked last year, but this year, I'm 100% in. It's time to get serious about getting rid of stuff.

Oh I am in.

Starting tomorrow on my daughter's bedroom. We've already started cleaning out her closet, but she got a new bed for Christmas, so we're doing an overhaul in there tomorrow.

Actually excited about it!

I'm in. I'm already a purger, but I'm about to do a major purge. I'm reading this and it is GOOD:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing...8-1-fkmr0&keywords=extraordinary+decluttering

Thanks for the recommendation! I just downloaded the sample to try.

I'm in again! I am really in the mood to declutter. Usually I love all of the Christmas clutter, but this year, it's really getting to me. I am trying to hold off on my urge to pack it all up. DD20 won't be home until next week so I need to leave at least the tree up for her.

I want to go back through several spaces and hit the "hidden" areas from this past year. I think this year I might try to tackle things by month.

Anyone have any blogs or challenges they like to follow for this?

Ok, we are watching Frozen and I'm looking up places to recycle items.I found a mail away place to send our broken Christmas lights and Best Buy will take our old TV and vacuum. Some of the garage items are broken or unused but I hate to throw out things that can be recycled. I plan to get all of those taken care of before I go back to school. First mini-goal of the new year!

Thank you thank you thank you bernardandmissbianca for starting the new thread. I'm not sure what I will do first tomorrow but it will definitely be something. Part of my struggle is often balancing keeping up with the day to day stuff in addition to getting to some of the existing clutter.

I have been decluttering for a while now, but must complete the work soon. We purchased a smaller home and need to fit ourselves into it without driving each other nuts! Current home is going on the market, so decluttering will help there too.

The thing I am most proud of decluttering in 2014 is my collection of old Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines!

I just need to get through a basketball tournament today and tomorrow and then will start. My DD's bedroom and playroom are where I need to begin. We have a town wide yard sale in April so I am going to start filling up the bins for that. Plenty of space in the basement to keep them there until the yard sale.

I desperately need to do this! I have a few months of maternity leave this winter, so I have no good excuse not to do it while I am home. My work schedule is why stuff stacks up in the first place. I work a lot (as does my husband), and then have no motivation to clean or declutter when I am home.

My biggest problem area is clothing. I need to weed out my stuff and my husband's. We have a lot of old stuff that does not fit or we just don't wear anymore. I do a better job on the kids' stuff, but I still have a ton to go through.

Toys are also a big problem for us. We now have three kids, 9, 3.5, and 6 weeks. I like to save the toys to pass down, but it results in a lot of clutter. Plus we keep getting more. I need better organization and some sort of rotation system.

Signing up for decluttering! I've boxed up some baby clothes but for some reason haven't taken them to donate. In the past, I've had great intentions of tagging them for consignment sales, but never get around to it. Time to just let them go!

After clothes, I have tons of craft supplies to declutter.

I'm in as well. DH and I are talking about downsizing houses to save some money since rent here is crazy expensive. I'm thinking a room a month so I can clear out, get stuff donated, sell some things, etc.

Starting on the playroom this weekend so we can get Christmas gifts organized.

Thanks for making this thread, OP!

I'm trying to get rid of clutter this year- we don't have a LOT, but there are still many things that aren't serving me anymore. I have become part of a local Facebook group where we buy and sell items to local folks for a discount (like an online flea market?). Thus far it has worked out really well. I have sold candles, food items that I can't eat but know others would enjoy, etc. I'm going to keep going around my house and listing items on that page to sell for an incredibly discounted price. The goal is really just to get the item out of my house, but if I can make a buck or two in the process, that helps! :thumbsup2 Maybe I'll make enough to send us to Disney this year.... :wizard:

I'm also all about the organization this year and not allowing things to pile up. No piling up dishes, no piling up bills, no piling up mail, no piling up laundry... if it takes 5 minutes or less to do, it needs done in that moment.

I'm not waiting until 2015 to start though- I'm starting now. Just went through the huge pile of bills and receipts that I had been putting off, and it feels so good. :woohoo: :goodvibes

Thank you thank you thank you bernardandmissbianca for starting the new thread. I'm not sure what I will do first tomorrow but it will definitely be something. Part of my struggle is often balancing keeping up with the day to day stuff in addition to getting to some of the existing clutter.

I struggle with the same thing. The 3 main things I have to focus on daily are dishes, laundry and paper. The stacks of papers that have been there will still be there next week, just don't add to them. Find a system to process mail and school papers as soon as you walk in the door.

Papers: Each of my kids has a tote with their color files, one for each school year and personal papers. As soon as papers come into the house from their back packs, that goes into a box next to the mail bin. As I sort the papers some goes right to recycling and some go into the box. The box gets filed every Friday into their totes.

Mail: Same thing. I file it as soon as it comes into the house. Junk mail goes right into recycling. Bills go into my bill book, credit card applications go right into shred pile.

Dishes: I make myself either do them every night before bed or after I take the kids to school. I like to do them at night because I can run the dishwasher after the kids go to bed and before I get in bed. It runs while I prep for bed and read.

Laundry: I started with one hamper but that became Mount Washmore very quickly. So I switched to 3 smaller hampers - whites, lights, and darks. Sadly it takes up more space in my room (house is small and no good place for hampers) but with 6 people in the house and 5 of us are runners, I have at least one load of laundry every day. I just cycle them out as much as I can.

The rest of the days are upstairs on Mondays and Tuesdays. Downstairs on Wednesdays and Fridays and Thursday is my day to have breakfast with friends and craft, etc.

I am in.

I've actually already started but it's always good to see what other people are doing to clean out. We started last month selling some of the extra stuff to make a little extra cash for Christmas and now anything that didn't sell has gone into a rubbermaid bucket in the basement. I'm going to try selling it all again come this month but if it doesn't sell then I'm going to donate it to our Boy Scout Troop for their Yard Sale in May. I'm also going to go thru my clothes and take a bunch to the local consignment shop. Anything they don't want is also going to the yard sale (left overs from the yard sale are donated to a local church for their white elephant so nothing will go to waste).

I make quilts for fun and have a bunch of them piling up so I donated one of my quilts to my friend's church for them to raffle off. I may do something similar with some of my other quilts.

In addition to what I've already found I still have a TON of stuff to go thru. One of those things I need to go through is my books. I have about 1,000 romance paperbacks. Does anyone know of any place either online or a brick and mortar in Massachusetts or Rhode Island that buys books for cash? I can donate them to the Boy Scouts as well, but first I would like to try to recoup a little of my cash to put away for vacation this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter