2014 - destash thread The Year of the Great Purge

Well.... I finally made a baby step in the declutter process. One of the classes at school was looking for paper towel and TP tubes for a project. I had a big bag of them I had been saving because I was SURE I was eventually going to do one of those great Pinterest toilet paper tube projects and it would look like FINE ART!!:rotfl2: But of course, those tubes have sat in that bag in my craft closet for MONTHS..... so I just donated them to the class and they were delighted to get all that they needed in one fell swoop!

I WANT to declutter more before Christmas..... I am just constantly overwhelmed with the amount of STUFF we have (I'll be honest enough to admit that a big portion of it is MY stuff and MY fault)... but finding the time, energy, etc is tough! But baby steps are enough for now..... better than NO PROGRESS at all, right!?:thumbsup2

I plan to be ruthless with the Christmas stuff as I start to take it out. I did a big clean out of it last year as I packed it up and plan to do that again this year as I take it out! If it isn't special or sentimental or used every year, there is NO NEED to keep it!

Let's keep going and end 2014 STRONG on the Declutter Train!!..........P

I desperately need to get to a donation center this weekend! I have 3 boxes & 2 clothes baskets full to write up & move out. This will free up valuable garage space for indoor parking.

I just got called to fill an emergency 12 hour shift tomorrow, so there goes the 2 hours I had free while younger DS is as at.....only 6 school days left before Christmas & 2 of them I will have to work during!

On the plus side, DMIL & FIL were here for Thanksgiving, so I can honestly say "house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!!" rofl, got to go put in 9th load of laundry & head out to older DS Christmas concert. I hope they stick to planned hour because it starts late for little DS......

Decluttered my "paper mountain" in the kitchen (where I throw papers that I don't have time to deal with at the moment) plus cleaned out the pen/pencil cup that sits near the phone. I swear the whole kitchen looks cleaner!! Plus I found a $100 prepaid Visa card I had forgotten about.... just in time for holiday shopping!:cool1:

Baby steps everyone!!...............P

Decluttered my "paper mountain" in the kitchen (where I throw papers that I don't have time to deal with at the moment) plus cleaned out the pen/pencil cup that sits near the phone. I swear the whole kitchen looks cleaner!! Plus I found a $100 prepaid Visa card I had forgotten about.... just in time for holiday shopping!:cool1:

Baby steps everyone!!...............P

Good find! I agree, any clutter out is a good step in the right direction.

Today I cleared out the papers that have accumulated since Sunday. Usually I am good about going through the mail each day but somehow it got out of hand!

We got a lot put away when we had company before Thanksgiving. The basement is totally done now but I do have some "hidden" piles in closets I need to address - probably after the holidays.

The garage is on my schedule for this weekend. There are a ton of things I have just stashed out there this fall. I know there are a bag or two of clothes I haven't donated yet. Also, I plan to post an ad giving away boxes (from several online purchases) and 2 old Christmas trees that are out there.

It looks terrible out there at the moment but I'm hoping once I break down the boxes & put some stuff away, it won't be as bad as I think. I want to be able to get DD's car in there while she is out of town over the holidays.

Is everyone getting ready for the holidays? I plan to start decorating tomorrow night!

Good find! I agree, any clutter out is a good step in the right direction.

Today I cleared out the papers that have accumulated since Sunday. Usually I am good about going through the mail each day but somehow it got out of hand!

My paper clutter isn't usually mail.....that stuff goes straight to recycling and the shredder. My "mountain" is stuff I need to keep but don't take the time to properly file immediately, like pay check stubs from my second job, coupons, ticket stubs and programs (for the scrapbook).... and it just builds and builds until I can't stand it any more and then I usually take 30 minutes and sort, sort, sort!! I need a better system to file the stuff downstairs, so it doesn't feel like such a chore to put everything away (none of it should really be in the kitchen).

We got a lot put away when we had company before Thanksgiving. The basement is totally done now but I do have some "hidden" piles in closets I need to address - probably after the holidays.

:rotfl2: about your "hidden piles"!! I've certainly been guilty of that!!

The garage is on my schedule for this weekend. There are a ton of things I have just stashed out there this fall. I know there are a bag or two of clothes I haven't donated yet. Also, I plan to post an ad giving away boxes (from several online purchases) and 2 old Christmas trees that are out there.

It looks terrible out there at the moment but I'm hoping once I break down the boxes & put some stuff away, it won't be as bad as I think. I want to be able to get DD's car in there while she is out of town over the holidays.

Is everyone getting ready for the holidays? I plan to start decorating tomorrow night!

Wish we had tackled the garage before the snow flew......now it will probably stay "as is" until spring.:mad:

I may have an extra hour tonight that I didn't count on, since I am skipping a meeting. I plan to use that hour for some dedicated decluttering in the home office!! Wish me luck!...........P

My big project is complete thanks to all ds3 help. Today he is taking 7 wendys shopping bags full of stuff for the school christmas store along with 3 boxes of books.

I ended up keeping one bag of stuff, ds didnt realize I wanted some of it and I have another bag of stuff from that that will be donated to the school auction in the spring. SO all in all we did great! (I win alot of stuff in contests)

I guess we are all so OUT of the declutter mode right now, that it should be NO WONDER that this thread ended up on page 4!!

I'm making some progress today. I took everything I had listed to sell on FB that hasn't sold in several weeks and it is going OUT THE DOOR to the Goodwill today! I am done tripping over it and moving it around. I was also able to give some of it away to friends who could use it!

I also decluttered three large shelves in the kitchen this morning and made "magic reindeer food" with a bunch of stale odds and ends (oatmeal, cornmeal, ice cream sprinkles). I put it all in a peanut can that was in the recycling bin with a pretty label that reads "Magic Reindeer Food" and my kids will receive it on 12/24 from our "Christmas Kindness Kitten" (our version of Elf on the Shelf) to sprinkle in the yard on Christmas Eve for Santa's reindeer. Sure, my kids are nearly adults (well, technically DD is an adult), but why not have some fun!!?? And the squirrels and chipmunks who will eventually eat this will appreciate it!

Also cleaned out two drawers in my kitchen buffet and got the contents down to just barely over one drawer (tote bags!!).

Anyone else making some last minute progress to report?? ............P

I guess we are all so OUT of the declutter mode right now, that it should be NO WONDER that this thread ended up on page 4!!

I'm making some progress today. I took everything I had listed to sell on FB that hasn't sold in several weeks and it is going OUT THE DOOR to the Goodwill today! I am done tripping over it and moving it around. I was also able to give some of it away to friends who could use it!

I also decluttered three large shelves in the kitchen this morning and made "magic reindeer food" with a bunch of stale odds and ends (oatmeal, cornmeal, ice cream sprinkles). I put it all in a peanut can that was in the recycling bin with a pretty label that reads "Magic Reindeer Food" and my kids will receive it on 12/24 from our "Christmas Kindness Kitten" (our version of Elf on the Shelf) to sprinkle in the yard on Christmas Eve for Santa's reindeer. Sure, my kids are nearly adults (well, technically DD is an adult), but why not have some fun!!?? And the squirrels and chipmunks who will eventually eat this will appreciate it!

Also cleaned out two drawers in my kitchen buffet and got the contents down to just barely over one drawer (tote bags!!).

Anyone else making some last minute progress to report?? ............P

No progress, probably just falling further & further behind as I find more "must-do" activities, so I will bite: what is " magic reindeer food" because it sounds like I should be adding to my to-do list........rofl, but sounds fun for DS4 (and old brothe?)

I was gifted an inflatable Christmas decoration. Once I figured out why it was gifted to me, I regifted it to a thrift store. :rolleyes1
It came in a very large box so I am thankful I don't have to find a place for that ;)

DH went through a ton of books and purged over a box full. Got the rest either up on bookshelves or in 2 boxes awaiting purchase digitally.

Also got 1/2 the living room clean and got our tree up.

Next I will be purging decorations as I pull the bins out.

Question:
I have 2 flip top bins of bows, boxes and bags. I'd really like to just get rid of these, think it's a good idea?
I do use them, and tend to reuse them every year but the thought of having 2 containers of nothing but paper products bugs me. I think we have 6-8 christmas totes not including the kids ornament totes.

I think I need to join this thread. We are looking to moving closer to DH work and before we even think of looking at new houses we need to declutter this old one. Amazing how two people have accumulated so much stuff. Our garage is packed. Gonna have to make some tough decisions and just get rid of it. I mean it all has been sitting in boxes and not being used so obviously we can get rid of it lol. I won't mention literally the 100s of tshirts I have. Who needs that many tshirts? lol. Gonna be hard but after first of year we plan on going room by room and donating a lot.

I haven't done so great at actually destashing anything lately but I did get better control of my closet dresser and shelves I also made $34 off of a local swap site getting rid of a few items of kids clothing. Small progress but something I guess :(

I think I need to join this thread. We are looking to moving closer to DH work and before we even think of looking at new houses we need to declutter this old one. Amazing how two people have accumulated so much stuff. Our garage is packed. Gonna have to make some tough decisions and just get rid of it. I mean it all has been sitting in boxes and not being used so obviously we can get rid of it lol. I won't mention literally the 100s of tshirts I have. Who needs that many tshirts? lol. Gonna be hard but after first of year we plan on going room by room and donating a lot.

I too own lots of shirts. What I do with them is I fold everything like they do in the store. In thirds then up the middle. When I wear and wash them I fold them in half one way and half the other way. In 30 days what ever was still folded the store way, go. Keep what you really love and you will only wear what you really love.

If you move will you be hiring a moving company? Remember that you pay by weight so keep that in mind when purging.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will be starting a new thread for 2015 probably the week of Christmas.

I was gifted an inflatable Christmas decoration. Once I figured out why it was gifted to me, I regifted it to a thrift store.
It came in a very large box so I am thankful I don't have to find a place for that ;)

:rotfl: don't cha love it, when someone thinks you should have what they do not want. My MIL, has been watching us Declutter for a year now, and she came over and told us how they are going to start decluttering. They brought over at least 10 stoneware items. She put them on my new dining room table. I was so mad, because they are all heavy as heck, she scratched my table sliding them on my table. I told her I did not want the Stoneware, she told me she didn't either.

When they left my house I took pictures and put them all on my Buy, Sell and Teade board and sold everything.

Sorry to hear about your table :hug:

I LOVE IT :thumbsup2 I hope they are worth a million dollars and you are able to buy a new table LOL :idea:

I am trudging along still. Most things that get decluttered are going out to the garage sale pile in the garage and we will have a sale in the spring.

My bedroom is still an on going issue but it mostly a storage issue for things like envelopes, writing papers, etc. I might buy some photo boxes to store those office things.

I used up lots of ribbons and wired ribbon on this year's christmas gifts. Things are lean this year so I decided to make each package very pretty. Managed to finally use up some OLD wrapping paper too. Still have plenty for years to come but it is progress.

I have been trying to deal wit clutter as it comes in the house. Like cutting up my daughter's race tees when they come home for her eventual quilt. She doesn't want to wear them and she doesn't want them in her closet so a little square takes much less space than a full shirt.

Ebay and CL have been slow lately but I'm still trying. I think I have an auction ending tonight that I will need to ship in the morning so that's something. :)

I hope everyone is having a nice holiday season without too much stress and that all pur hard work over this past year has been paying off.

Well 2014 has been a good year for me for decluttering but still more to do in 2015, although I don't think it's ever 'done'. I think it's an ongoing process!

Anyone have any more destashing plans for the rest of the year or are you waiting until after Christmas/New Years to get started again?

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I desperately need to get to a donation center this weekend! I have 3 boxes & 2 clothes baskets full to write up & move out. This will free up valuable garage space for indoor parking.

On the plus side, DMIL & FIL were here for Thanksgiving, so I can honestly say "house was clean last week, sorry you missed it!!" rofl, got to go put in 9th load of laundry & head out to older DS Christmas concert. I hope they stick to planned hour because it starts late for little DS......

I have that sign up on my wall. :rotfl2:
And I LOVE scheduling home pickups from charities.
I took everything out of the bedroom closet that is not mine and hung up all my shirts and work pants in there. We have to get rid of the china cabinet, so cleaned that out, boxed up some stuff to put in the basement (yeah, I know, moving clutter from one spot to another) but did manage to put a few things on Freecycle and got rid of 2 small bags of trash. :faint:DD took the bakeware, a HUGE crockpot for a friend that has a cabin and always has a houseful, AND the double griddle, so my kitchen is looking better.

Well 2014 has been a good year for me for decluttering but still more to do in 2015, although I don't think it's ever 'done'. I think it's an ongoing process!

Really what I've done with Christmas and birthdays so far (he's 2) is instead of giving him all his new toys at once, we slowly open them and rotate them in with his toys. The stuff that he has no interest in or we decide he doesn't need either gets gifted or donated. It's been nice sometimes to have brand new toys to give him when he's having a bad day or is he doesn't feel good. I organized the gift area of the closet after I got all those toys out and it looks good. I used up a bunch of Christmas gift bags. I reuse them, cannot remember the last time I had to buy some. I'm sure we will end up with a bunch more next week though, never fails :rotfl2:

Starting January 1st I'm going through every drawer, basket, closet, shelf, cabinet, etc. and destashing again. I did that this year but it's crazy how quickly stuff gets out of order. I really need to try harder to keep things organized. Our linen closet and kitchen cabinets for example. We get in a hurry so we just throw things in. That reminds me, I had made room in a cabinet for all my Christmas kitchen bowls and plates and stuff and I haven't used any of it this year!

Anyone have any more destashing plans for the rest of the year or are you waiting until after Christmas/New Years to get started again?

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

I think the plan for your DS's toys is a great one! There is no need to have tons of stuff and you are helping others by donating. Win for everyone.

I went through my sock drawer this week. I decided life is too short to wear holey socks. I wear them most days with my boots and holes just make my toes uncomfortable.

I need to get or make an earring holder. I have lots of pairs but they get jumbled together in a box. I have an area of my closet that I have some shelves to hold this kind of thing. I bought fabric for the back wall of it but have yet to hang it. This is one of my winter break projects.

This weekend, we need do some basic cleaning but otherwise, the house is ready for my parents. With company last month and DD's new boyfriend coming over last weekend, I already took care of most of the clutter.

There are some projects to be done over break. The garage has not been tackled yet and it is a disaster. I should have time to get to it and recycle a ton of boxes.

It would also be nice to start rotating through areas I have already cleared. Some places do seem to get overrun again. Plus I get better able to toss out certain things after another period of time.

DS's closet needs another overhaul and DD20's bedroom is going to be addressed when she returns. I have a ton of papers for school that I need to organize or pitch. If I can get these things done over break, I will be happy.

I'm already getting the itch to start donating or throwing stuff out. I think the shopping & over decorating at Christmas overloads me then makes me want to clear out space!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter