2014 - destash thread The Year of the Great Purge

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
Figured I'd get a new thread started so we can get going ASAP in the morning.

My goal for 2014 is to sort one bin or tote a day. Even if I don't empty it, I hope to reduce and combine until we are down to a minimum.

The 2 big projects for summer are the garage and the building.
I also need to fill our trailer with all the big pieces of furniture from MIL's. The trailer needs to be loaded by June 15 so we can take it to school for our annual rummage sale.

I'm in! Had to move a bunch of stuff around in the basement thanks to surprise accidental mold discovered last night when putting Christmas stuff away. Didn't get to go through anything but there is a paper box full of dh's old trophies that are going in the trash.

2014 is the year we finally do something with the basement. We have a small older home with no storage so everything is in the basement. I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff that can go this year. Excited to get it done!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am in. Most likely not be starting until Friday though. I work retail so my hours are being cut big time. Will have quite a bit of free time starting next week.

Count me in! I'm also looking at doing the January Cure from Apartment Theraphy. Too. I won't do it all perfectly but it's a good idea & I like but yeah...here's to decluttering!

Count me in! I thought I was doing well in 2013 but then I went down cellar to get the Christmas decorations out...UGH!! :sick:

So my goal for 2014 is to declutter the cellar.

I just did a huge 2013 destash!! I am so happy I got that done! My goal this year (probably in May) is to sort out my sheds (yes, there are 2 of them and get rid of everything possible! My mother is a pack rat and packs everything in the sheds - I swear I will probably find stuff back from when I was a child :lmao: I plan on getting rid of everything possible! Plus the sheds are very old and in the very near future we will be needing a new one.

When DH was cleaning out the shelves in the basement today, he found cards from our 10th anniversary. We were married 20 years ago last April! LOL

So 10 years, that stuff has been sitting there. It's nuts!

i am in! i destashed soooo much last year and have to start again. have a second go at it.
can't wait, i'm excited…..:cheer2:

While I didn't post a lot, I have been purging things from home and school. I intend to continue, so I'm in.....:)

Count me in! I'm also looking at doing the January Cure from Apartment Theraphy. Too. I won't do it all perfectly but it's a good idea & I like but yeah...here's to decluttering!

What is the January cure?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Must participate! I've already vowed that for every purchase I make, I must get rid of two things.......one new shirt? Out with two that I don't wear!

I've already cleaned out one closet to put the Christmas decorations in so I no longer have to haul them up the itty bitty attic steps. Now to tackle another closet......

I am in! We have too many toys and too much clothing! At least the boys do! We are in the process turning the office into an office/playroom and finishing organizing the garage.

I really like doing the Jan. Cure because it makes you think about your space & what all is in it. I didn't do all of it last year (plus I live at home still so I've only got one room really), but they included things that were simple, such as get a piece of art framed or think of what you want and actually need Ina space. Good food for thought...plus I love anything Apartment Therapy does....such food ideas.

Count me in!!!.

I started cleaning up in my spare room. I bought a 3 case cookie/cupcake holder from Costco to use this Christmas. Its brand new and I didn't use it. I'm going to take it back and get a refund. I have tubs up in the closet for Holidays Valentine's, Easter, Halloween and Christmas. I'm going to go through the Valentine and Easter stuff and start making plans on gifts to make up for co workers and my goddaughter. My goal is to empty out both baskets for those two holidays.

Today I was looking for a large roasting pan for my ham. I realized my kitchen cabinets are a mess again. I need to go through and declutter my kitchenware.

The plan was to take dd shopping . She got a lot of money for her bday & Christmas but her room is a MESS!. I told her she can forget shopping. We will stay home and declutter the house. I'm also going to take away her new ipod and her electronics until she organizes her room.

I have a bunch of stuff listed on CL and I just lowered the prices. Hoping to make a little $$

January Goals
My goals for this month are
1. organize/declutter kitchen cabinets1/2 completed just have to go through pots/pans and tubberware :/
2. organize/declutter pantrycompleted-
3. organize/declutter my bakeware cabinet
4. organize/declutter spare room cabinet
5. Clean out undergarment/sock drawer-completed-ended up doing all drawers 27 items tossed out and 17 items to get rid

Dh's goal ( my goal for him)
1. Cleanout his junk drawer and find our passports!!!Never gets to sick but he's fighting a cold so he's been resting before he goes back to work on Monday.

DD's goal ( my goal for her)
1. clean/declutter/organize her roomShe's been working on it a little at a time. She's been sick with sore throat/cold

The ultimate goal for the year is to declutter the garage!!!!!!

Update:
Friday night 1/3/14- I got a lil burst of energy so I cleaned and organized my spice cabinet and finished up my pantry
We have been sick so we've been resting a lot and watching lots of tv :/
What I don't finish Jan/Feb I hope to get on it in March. I will have a week off and hopefully have a yardsale

Sunday night 1/6/2014
I'm so proud of DD. She got of 2 bags(its about 5 grocery bags size) of trash/junk/broken items. I had an empty box of printing paper and she filled that up with some of her old toys from years ago(shes 15-lol) She also got rid of a couple of other items that didn't fit in the box(old globe, small tv cart that hold her junk, Disney fairy checker box drawer, plus she has a box full of her old stuff animals. She still has a lot of stuff she needs to go through. She did tell me" mom I cant believe how much stuff I have"
She's also put a couple of bags of stuff in my spare room that I havent even looked in, eoh and a moon chair(I think that's what its called it fold up)
Taking away her ipad and ipod were a big motivation for her. She did a great job so today she can have her ipod/ipad for just today . Then she needs to finish up her room

Just looked up the Cure. I like it much better than Flylady. Is she still around?
Happy New Year all!

Count me in for another year of decluttering, I did okay until last May and then things slid of the rail and did not get much done afterwards, I am going to try to do better this year and get rid of much more!!:cool1:

I'm in! I have to eat this elephant "one bite at a time" because my DH is a compulsive hoarder. I am not allowed to touch "his stuff". We are starting by replacing each VHS tape with a DVD and then donating the VHS tape. I have had some luck with finding DVDs at our location Salvation Army store in nearly mint condition...found Nightmare Before Christmas yesterday for $2.99. I did buy the newly released 50th anniversary edition of Mary Poppins brand new at Target but now I can donate the VHS tape. We do have equipment that will convert VHS to DVD but by law you have to save the original source material so that doesn't help with the clutter.

I have been going through my library of cookbooks and novels and checking their value on amazon. If they are only selling for 1 cent plus $3.99 shipping then I just donate them.

When decorating the tree this year I set aside some ornaments that had no meaning for any of us and donated those to the Salvation Army several weeks before Christmas.

My next move is to throw out or recycle any plates, bowls and mugs with chips in them.

I have a ton of collectibles I would like to list on ebay or Craig's list but really can't get motivated to do it - and deal with difficult buyers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter