2014 - destash thread The Year of the Great Purge

My de stash is one that has been forced upon me, but I'm finding it quite therapeutic. Husband has decided he no longer wants to be married, so I am in the process of boxing up items he can take with him once he's settled into his new place. My kitchen cabinets and counters have never been so neat and clean!! 5 boxes of glasses and dishes plus several small appliances have been cleared out.

Sorry to hear. :hug:

My de stash is one that has been forced upon me, but I'm finding it quite therapeutic. Husband has decided he no longer wants to be married, so I am in the process of boxing up items he can take with him once he's settled into his new place. My kitchen cabinets and counters have never been so neat and clean!! 5 boxes of glasses and dishes plus several small appliances have been cleared out.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the decluttering goes smoothly.

Jojosam - so sorry! Best wishes that things go as smoothly as possible for you!

I had a great weekend getting stuff done around the house - doesn't really look like I did much b/c while I am working in one room my boys are wrecking another...lol.
Regardless, I went thru the medicine cabinet AGAIN, purged more old stuff that's been sitting in there for years (lotions i'll never use, old baby things, old make-up, etc). Had the great idea to use our upstairs bathroom medicine cabinet to store things I don't use regularly but don't want to throw out - we only use that bathroom at night usually, so there's not much up there and a huge medicine cabinet - only took me 9 years to decide to utilize it ... smh.
I purged another bag of toys - broken, mismatched, missing pieces from the boys room.
I boxed up all my Pampered Chef stoneware that I don't get to use much and put that in storage, which freed up a huge chunk of counter space.
Cleared off my kitchen table, but honestly the paperwork is overwhelming. Between mail, and school paperwork I tend to put it in a box to deal with later. I spent 2hrs going through a box tonight, and while I got a lot tossed, I still have a decent size box, plus another to sort thru. :-(
Hoping to get thru a bunch more before the holidays! Keep it going fellow De-Stashers!

Jojosam - so sorry! Best wishes that things go as smoothly as possible for you! I had a great weekend getting stuff done around the house - doesn't really look like I did much b/c while I am working in one room my boys are wrecking another...lol. Regardless, I went thru the medicine cabinet AGAIN, purged more old stuff that's been sitting in there for years (lotions i'll never use, old baby things, old make-up, etc). Had the great idea to use our upstairs bathroom medicine cabinet to store things I don't use regularly but don't want to throw out - we only use that bathroom at night usually, so there's not much up there and a huge medicine cabinet - only took me 9 years to decide to utilize it ... smh. I purged another bag of toys - broken, mismatched, missing pieces from the boys room. I boxed up all my Pampered Chef stoneware that I don't get to use much and put that in storage, which freed up a huge chunk of counter space. Cleared off my kitchen table, but honestly the paperwork is overwhelming. Between mail, and school paperwork I tend to put it in a box to deal with later. I spent 2hrs going through a box tonight, and while I got a lot tossed, I still have a decent size box, plus another to sort thru. :-( Hoping to get thru a bunch more before the holidays! Keep it going fellow De-Stashers!

Are you my twin?!!!?

I think I have the same boys, the same stack of mile high papers, and I did my linen closet last weekend. Filled an entire trash bag with stuff.

BernardandMissBianca said:
Are you my twin?!!!?

I think I have the same boys, the same stack of mile high papers, and I did my linen closet last weekend. Filled an entire trash bag with stuff.

Lol maybe! I need to get to my linen closet...

We have another open house on Sunday.
I feel the pain already in my back and hips.
My dh doesn't understand the whole cleaning process,
he thinks just taking things out to my car-the dog bed and toys is cleaning and he may vacuum.
Me, I scrub down 2 bathrooms, dust, vacuum, put away everything. Make sure nothing is laying on the floor. Clean all windows inside and out. I once did a walk through, right before the Open House and found underwear laying right out in the open. Have no clue how that happened.:rotfl:

Magazines are getting recycled. My father-in-law works part time at the printing factory-(they do Playboy) and all the inserts for Sunday papers, plus a ton of other magazines, and he is constantly bringing magazines to our house-not Playboy though. Mostly car magazines that my dh feels he can never part with. I have been stacking them in the linen closet and he has not missed them. They are going this weekend.

Aww, bummer. Hope you are doing okay.

Just gave DIL #1 2 Disney Dooney Bourkes. 1 I never really cared for and the other being a DCL one I like well enough but seldom use it.

She is over the Moon! :cloud9:

Have you done any destashing in the last few days?

I was motivated enough after work yesterday to do a little in my front room which is consistently a mess - used for storage, crafts, etc., but usually winds up having things tossed in until I can deal with them.
I took a bag of trash out, separated out a lot into specific boxes (crafts, Christmas, birthday, etc). Found several presents I forgot I had bought a while ago, and found our missing hot spot & charger for my son's video game! Still a ton to do, but happy about what I did!

Finally finished the front hall closet with ds today. We got sidetracked between his working alot and my getting donations for thanksgiving and operation christmas child at church.

But we ended up with 1/2 big bag of garbage, 1 bag to giveaway to goodwill, 1 1/2 bags are going to the school christmas store fundraiser and 1/2 big bag I am keeping. I only have 1 pocketbook left to go through.

So that is a big job out of the way.

Our next big thing is to final sort and organize in groups all the stuff going to the school. We cant take it until after dec. lst. But I know it will be a lot so we are happy.

And then its off to Disney dec 9-16 for dh and I. With that 20% discount coupon I will try to not buy too much. I usually just get food for the ds, blankets and a few ornaments and maybe a kitchen item but they usually just have the same stuff and nothing new. So I am going to be careful when I shop.

My 2nd BBBS pickup today...3 medium bags of clothing/shoes and 1 box of books. I also cleaned out the hall closet. Boy I didn't realize how much bedding I have!! I am trying to match up sets worth keeping (we have single, double and queen size beds in the house), but will donate others to the local pet shelter.
I also have another small bag of stuff to go to the thrift shop.
I am really loving this destashing!! :goodvibes

We are looking at new RV's so I got poking around to see what I could get rid of.

I found a book light that I thought I would love but hurts my eyes. pirate:

Also some left over quilt batting. :scratchin

That's really it but every piece counts, right? :thumbsup2

Finished up some craft Christmas projects so have those ready to send out when I finish the others.

How about you? While prepping for the upcoming holidays what you come across to destash?

We are looking at new RV's so I got poking around to see what I could get rid of.

I found a book light that I thought I would love but hurts my eyes. pirate:

Also some left over quilt batting. :scratchin

That's really it but every piece counts, right? :thumbsup2

Finished up some craft Christmas projects so have those ready to send out when I finish the others.

How about you? While prepping for the upcoming holidays what you come across to destash?

I know what you mean I always check print size before I buy a book. This week I mostly sheaded papers. We traded a car and I had to look through years of papers to find the loan release.

Well, I did it. I finally went through the 5600 emails on my computer. I wish it was an exaggeration but no. I have 195 to go. (I think that might be one reason why my computer crashes.) Yippee. Does destashing my computer count?
I am trying to get more organized. I want to spend more time over the holidays with the kids as DS is a junior and DD a freshman. I realize I am running out of time. I have all my shopping for the holidays done and wrapped. Except for my DS who does not want anything yet again this Christmas. Everyone says it is great but it is really a pain. This will be the first year in 17 years I will not be up til 4am wrapping.
I bought cooking supplies so we can make various goodies or at least they might forget I never cook and replace it with memories of me cooking.http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/goodvibes.gif
I have donated museum tickets about 6 sets to church and work for raffles. I have taken out only 3 other boxes of stuff. I confess to donating to work as my family will not see it. Out of sight out of mind. How is everyone doing?

Well, I did it. I finally went through the 5600 emails on my computer. I wish it was an exaggeration but no. I have 195 to go. (I think that might be one reason why my computer crashes.) Yippee. Does destashing my computer count?
I am trying to get more organized. I want to spend more time over the holidays with the kids as DS is a junior and DD a freshman. I realize I am running out of time. I have all my shopping for the holidays done and wrapped. Except for my DS who does not want anything yet again this Christmas. Everyone says it is great but it is really a pain. This will be the first year in 17 years I will not be up til 4am wrapping.
I bought cooking supplies so we can make various goodies or at least they might forget I never cook and replace it with memories of me cooking.http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/goodvibes.gif
I have donated museum tickets about 6 sets to church and work for raffles. I have taken out only 3 other boxes of stuff. I confess to donating to work as my family will not see it. Out of sight out of mind. How is everyone doing?

I need to do the same itch my computer and email......I have anywhere from 1000-1500, depending on how many days I go between checking email. It's just become a huge pain to open and see all the "clutter" electronically staring me in the face.

I brought up Christmas yesterday, as I am trying to get ready for Thanksgiving company (Yes, really what WAS I thinking?!?) I have tons of it, no where to out most of it & should really get rid of a lot of it. Anyone have ideas on where to donate this kind of stuff?

Ok, break time is over, back to the frantic cleaning!

I need to do the same itch my computer and email......I have anywhere from 1000-1500, depending on how many days I go between checking email. It's just become a huge pain to open and see all the "clutter" electronically staring me in the face.

I brought up Christmas yesterday, as I am trying to get ready for Thanksgiving company (Yes, really what WAS I thinking?!?) I have tons of it, no where to out most of it & should really get rid of a lot of it. Anyone have ideas on where to donate this kind of stuff?

Ok, break time is over, back to the frantic cleaning!

I belong to a buy, sell and trade board on Facebook. You can find them by your location. The group acts like a rummage sale board. I know Christmas items are going like hot cakes on my 2 boards I joined. I know my daughter wants to decorate her house she rents and they have nothing. The reason to find the site nearest to your home is the items have to be picked up or you meet in a certain location for the exchange.

I belong to a buy, sell and trade board on Facebook. You can find them by your location. The group acts like a rummage sale board. I know Christmas items are going like hot cakes on my 2 boards I joined. I know my daughter wants to decorate her house she rents and they have nothing. The reason to find the site nearest to your home is the items have to be picked up or you meet in a certain location for the exchange.

I had DD19 list DS12's clothes on a facebook site. No interest when I told her to relist them she wound up buying a Disney Vera Bradley bag:confused3

Did a bit of destashing in preparation for putting up the Christmas tree later this week. :santa: I weeded out some of the kids' books and moved the bookcase to the basement family room. I emptied a rack of toy bins, and hopefully DH can help me take that to the thrift store Wednesday.

I've been going through my craft stuff made $25

I need to relist some of dd's stuff. Right now we are so busy I don't have time to keep up with relisting but I'm about to go super cheap on some stuff I have listed. The pile is going by lil by lil

OK guys it's the last push of 2014!!!
Any purging over the holiday weekend?

Make sure you go through your holiday decor when you start pulling it out.
I plan to divide more ornaments between the kids and get rid of stuff we don't use.

Yesterday DH went through his coats and we he purged 4!! YEE HAW!! Still have 9 but I can at least hang them all up now. I also found bins that fit perfectly on the top shelf in the coat closet for spring jackets.

Today we tackle bags. We have a stack in the living room plus 3 bins of bags/totes/back packs in the loft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter