2014 - destash thread The Year of the Great Purge

I told DS that we needed to get all the donation bags out of the SUV if he wanted to go to the light drive through this year and he went to the donation center that very day. DD also went through 3 bins of stuff that had been hanging around.

We are making progress just not as much as I would like.

I am making progress, still have a long way to go...I will be in on next years thread as well. And I found 3 boxes of Christmas bags in basement when I went to wrap teacher gifts the other night! On the bright side, teacher gifts were all from the gift stash, so that is some items out. Of course, I have picked up a few "spare" gifts to have on hand this year. Overall, more went out than in, so it's still all good!

I am ready for the end of the year destash.

One of the org.is coming dec. 30th. Ds and I have a bag of stuff out in the garages that is going. I am also going to put aside some clothes for dh to look at. I am not making much progress with his stuff. He is always traveling and never here to have time to look at the things.

I think it will be just one bag, but its going, going and gone!

Also some of our christmas inflateables are broken, so we will see about that and I am thinking of downsizing the christmas tree. Its prelit and old and some of the rows of lights are out, so if we get a new one post christmas it should take up less room.

Also I was very good at disney on our trip with my spending. I only got 2 beach towels, 2 blankets and a few ornaments. All the other stuff is consumable like the popcorn, gummy mickeys etc.

Here's to more out the door in 2015!

What do you all do about old photos? I'm talking about pics from high school, twenties, etc. in the days before digital photos? I'm not interested in having tubs of these any longer. I guess I could scan them and keep them digitally, but even that seems like a waste of time for stuff I haven't looked at in years. Do you just toss them and not feel guilty?

What do you all do about old photos? I'm talking about pics from high school, twenties, etc. in the days before digital photos? I'm not interested in having tubs of these any longer. I guess I could scan them and keep them digitally, but even that seems like a waste of time for stuff I haven't looked at in years. Do you just toss them and not feel guilty?

Why not pick out just a few absolute favorites and let the rest go. My wedding album is the same. It is so large and I seriously have not looked at it in 25 years. I wish My daughter would listen to me. She picked out a package with her photographer for 250 pictures, and the photographer will be there 6 hours. Sorry for changing the subject.

Destash like you would anything else. Do a quick sort, purging the ones you hate, don't remember the people, blurry, etc.
Then reevaluate the rest and sort them as you go. By year, person, season, etc how ever your mind works.
If you remember the story, write it on the back or on a separate paper. If you don't remember the story then think about tossing. Those are usually not as sentimental, if you can't remember why you took it.

Personally I would scan the photos before tossing though.

Why not pick out just a few absolute favorites and let the rest go. My wedding album is the same. It is so large and I seriously have not looked at it in 25 years. I wish My daughter would listen to me. She picked out a package with her photographer for 250 pictures, and the photographer will be there 6 hours. Sorry for changing the subject.

I hear you! I think I looked at our wedding pics when we got them back and never once since:rotfl: I won't toss that...actually, I haven't seen it in years. I don't know where it even is to toss it:rotfl2:

I think the plan for your DS's toys is a great one! There is no need to have tons of stuff and you are helping others by donating. Win for everyone.

I went through my sock drawer this week. I decided life is too short to wear holey socks. I wear them most days with my boots and holes just make my toes uncomfortable.

I need to get or make an earring holder. I have lots of pairs but they get jumbled together in a box. I have an area of my closet that I have some shelves to hold this kind of thing. I bought fabric for the back wall of it but have yet to hang it. This is one of my winter break projects.

This weekend, we need do some basic cleaning but otherwise, the house is ready for my parents. With company last month and DD's new boyfriend coming over last weekend, I already took care of most of the clutter.

There are some projects to be done over break. The garage has not been tackled yet and it is a disaster. I should have time to get to it and recycle a ton of boxes.

It would also be nice to start rotating through areas I have already cleared. Some places do seem to get overrun again. Plus I get better able to toss out certain things after another period of time.

DS's closet needs another overhaul and DD20's bedroom is going to be addressed when she returns. I have a ton of papers for school that I need to organize or pitch. If I can get these things done over break, I will be happy.

I'm already getting the itch to start donating or throwing stuff out. I think the shopping & over decorating at Christmas overloads me then makes me want to clear out space!

Unfortunately my 2 year old has a really good memory so I don't know how long I'll be able to pull this off. I'm trying hard to teach to start teaching him about giving so hopefully every birthday/Christmas he will willingly give up some new toys?

I have that itch so bad right now too! Maybe it's Christmas that's doing it. We haven't even added more 'stuff' to the house yet but while DS is napping right now all I want to do is start a box for Goodwill instead of cleaning the house for Christmas tomorrow...

I hadn't planned on going through closets and drawers until after the new year but when DH was at work on Saturday DS "helped" me clean out all his drawers and his closet. I could do it weekly and it still wouldn't be often enough, I don't know how it gets so out of order. I've also tacked a bunch of small areas here and there.

Last edited:
Moved some more stuff around and managed to empty out a large plastic tote and a cardboard box. I organized a few drawers in the basement closet and moved some stuff around. I did start a Goodwill box and filled it up already!

Last edited:
Has the 2015 thread been started yet? I'm going to need it. After Christmas Eve at my mother's house I'm ready to throw out just about everything in my home to make sure it doesn't end up like hers. Sad. And frightening.

Has the 2015 thread been started yet? I'm going to need it. After Christmas Eve at my mother's house I'm ready to throw out just about everything in my home to make sure it doesn't end up like hers. Sad. And frightening.

Me too. When she died my grandmother had a path through her house and slept in a chair. I want to get rid of 10 things a day. I have said it before but if I can keep it up I will be doing good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter