2013 Dining Plan prices are here

Unless something changes (which I don't foresee happening), I can't see QSDP being worthwhile as a money saver anymore. (Last year was a thin enough margin, they just shaved it even closer now.) Added to that, your vegetarianism (or preference for vegetables, whichever) and it will make it even less of a value (veggie options are typically on the low end of the menu price-wise). Now, if the pre-paid aspect of it is worth something to you, then there's no harm in going for it, but know that you're very likely to come out having spent more on the plan than you would off of it (I have a feeling that I'm going to be saying this a lot this year...).

Now, if I were in your shoes, you'd probably yell at me to get out of them (especially since you'd wonder who's this weird guy trying to put on your shoes). If I were in the same boat, and I had my flippy floppies, I'd go the gift card route if I were in your shoes, especially if you have access to the AP discount.

*(Pardon the silliness of the post, I've been staring at photos for a little over 2 1/2 hours... did some shooting on the way home from work today and processing them all, it gets me silly at times)

The list of restaurants in the initial 2013 brochures is not final. They include only Disney-owned restaurants and those who have already signed the contract for 2013 (likely none at this point). Non-Disney restaurants have until the end of the year to sign back up for the next year. Historically, only 1 restaurant has ever dropped participation in the dining plan, Fulton's, and they rejoined for 2012. There's a good chance that your favorite restaurant that was on the plan for 2012 will be on it for 2013.

(Note: Many of the Epcot restaurants are, in fact, not owned by Disney. Same deal with Downtown Disney, and same deal with the Coronado Springs Resort)

(Another Note: Le Cellier specifically is now with the Signatures, so it's there, just hiding. It looks like it may end up being signature status for Lunch & Dinner for 2013)

(yes, that's on a notepad today, and will be for a few days :p)

:thumbsup2

I am sooo into this thread. There must be something wrong with me! :rotfl2: I have a question for all you Mickey mathematicians out there, my quandary is would you get the QSMP for your DD (16) and yourself, both veg heads (9 days/8 nights) and be in prepaid bliss OR would you POP (with the clever GC option) and use your AP discount to make up the saving? I think this a no brainer but would love to hear opinions.

Soooo last night I sat down after this thread and really looked at the QSDP, not even worth our time $ wise. The plus or mid level seems to be a better choice for us but after some number crunching it came out that even at our fav places like Y&Y for TS we are losing $12 to $15 dollars and that's not including tip. BUMMER. I believe my best bet is to use the total dollar amount of what we would spend as a guideline of how much money to bring for food purchase on our stay. I am looking forward to seeing if we do spend the entire $889.44 that the plus dining would cost us. Hmmmmm.....

I use the Tutto Italia standard for DDP value--if I get one of the more expensive meals at Tutto Italia (always the most expensive 1 TS credit restaurant, I think), would that be about equal to a full day of the DDP? And based on AllEars, it looks like the DDP is going up faster than the price of their menu items. If I can't save a lot of money using a TS credit at Tutto Italia, I know that I can't save money on the DDP.

Now, if I get free dining it's another matter, but on it's own, I can't see how to save enough money on the DDP to make it worth the loss of flexibility that comes with it.

I was planning on the deluxe dining plan for our group of 3 adults because we would like to try the signatures, but then started to think about it.

My wife and MIL are not big eaters - they may share an entree or stick with an appetizer and dessert at dinner. Definitely not dessert eaters at lunch. We like water and wine with dinner.

Due to some IBS issues, light to no breakfast, later light lunches work.

We now plan to put the $300/day ($2100:scared1: ) on gift cards, get an AP and TIW card for my wife so she can take the 13 year old 11 months later.

Thanks to these boards, I think we will have a great time!

I'm shocked over the $14 per day price increase. But, just the same, I will be getting DxDP in 2013. Why? Because, for my wife and I, we will still be saving money!

A typical day for us begins with a snack credit at our hotel to get a bagel or muffin for breakfast, along with OJ in the free refillable mug included in the package. Had we bought that, it would be about $10 for both of us. For lunch, we're usually eating a table service meal in the park. Let's use San Angel Inn as the example. Our lunch bill there in December 2011 was $80 for the two of us. For dinner, we're eating at Narcoossee's. The December 2011 bill we had there was $140. We'll take the last snack home with us, perhaps a tasty piece of fudge or a cookie for each of us, $6 total for both of us. That's $236 versus $198 for 2013 ($170 for 2012, $156 for 2011). We're still saving money. And that assumes no price increases over the December 2011 prices I used for San Angel and Narcoosee's. If you do the math, in 2011 we saved 33%. If the food prices were the same in 2012, we'd have saved 27%. In 2013, we should, if the food prices don't go up, save 16%. The secret to our success is that we NEVER eat counter service. We almost never eat table service breakfast. We ALWAYS have a table service lunch. We ALWAYS have a signature meal once a day. And we have no issue with consistently ordering the most expensive items on the menus. Lobster? Twice. Surf and Turf? Twice. Filet Mignon? Four times. Bison? Yup. Artisan Cheese Plate? Two please!

I suspect they've raised the prices of DxDP in order to get people to get the regular DDP, which means more counter-service and less table service for Disney. It also means that signature restaurants should have more OOP customers. I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw a big jump in table service meal prices, so that Disney could continue to claim 25% savings by buying the DxDP or DDP packages.

It looks like it may end up being signature status for Lunch & Dinner for 2013)

Unfortunately you can't even count on Disney to get the brochures correct, after the fiasco with the reissued brochure in March that said the regular plan included an appetizer. I'd wait a bit to see what happens with Le Cel lunch.

I quit getting dining plans in 2008 and don't see any reason to return to them. At all. Ever. Even on free dining (of course DVC members can't get free dining on points reservations)

I suspect they've raised the prices of DxDP in order to get people to get the regular DDP, which means more counter-service and less table service for Disney. It also means that signature restaurants should have more OOP customers. I also wouldn't be surprised if we saw a big jump in table service meal prices, so that Disney could continue to claim 25% savings by buying the DxDP or DDP packages.
It's been reported that they are only advertising 15% savings now (last year was 20%), at least on the normal DDP. This suggests (to me at least) that menu prices will go up, but considerably less than DDP prices increased.

As a note, it looks like for my own stuff, DxDDP will still work and I'd still come out ahead, I may have to add a TS (either in place of an unused credit (4 this year) or a QS) or two for some extra padding, but that's not a big deal overall really.

Unfortunately you can't even count on Disney to get the brochures correct, after the fiasco with the reissued brochure in March that said the regular plan included an appetizer. I'd wait a bit to see what happens with Le Cel lunch.

I quit getting dining plans in 2008 and don't see any reason to return to them. At all. Ever. Even on free dining (of course DVC members can't get free dining on points reservations)
Absolutely true. Though it's better to prepare for the "worst" (in this case, for most people, LC going sig for lunch) and hope for the best, than just assume it's wrong ;) (hence my typical wishy-washy language of "looks like" "maybe" "rumors of" "possibly" :p)

As a note, it looks like for my own stuff, DxDDP will still work and I'd still come out ahead, I may have to add a TS (either in place of an unused credit (4 this year) or a QS) or two for some extra padding, but that's not a big deal overall really.

We've had the subjective versus objective valuation discussions at length. For me, in theory, I might come out a little ahead. But, I'd only do a dining plan if I was projecting rather significant savings. At the new pricing, I might save 5-10%, but that's not enough for me to justify it. What if I want to cancel a reservation... what if I'm not hungry.. what if 1 of my kids gets sick and doesn't want to eat anything.... Plus, feeling the pressure to "get value." All that, isn't worth a savings of 5-10% for me.
This past year, I probably saved about 20% on the DxDP -- that was worthwhile.

Going back in a few weeks without any dining plan. (But staying concierge). It's been nice, making a few reservations and knowing I can cancel most of them at the last minute, with no regrets. (Now I'll face the wrath of people for making reservations that I may or may not even keep).

I'm shocked over the $14 per day price increase. But, just the same, I will be getting DxDP in 2013. Why? Because, for my wife and I, we will still be saving money!

A typical day for us begins with a snack credit at our hotel to get a bagel or muffin for breakfast, along with OJ in the free refillable mug included in the package. Had we bought that, it would be about $10 for both of us. For lunch, we're usually eating a table service meal in the park. Let's use San Angel Inn as the example. Our lunch bill there in December 2011 was $80 for the two of us. For dinner, we're eating at Narcoossee's. The December 2011 bill we had there was $140. We'll take the last snack home with us, perhaps a tasty piece of fudge or a cookie for each of us, $6 total for both of us. That's $236 versus $198 for 2013 ($170 for 2012, $156 for 2011). We're still saving money. And that assumes no price increases over the December 2011 prices I used for San Angel and Narcoosee's. If you do the math, in 2011 we saved 33%. If the food prices were the same in 2012, we'd have saved 27%. In 2013, we should, if the food prices don't go up, save 16%. The secret to our success is that we NEVER eat counter service. We almost never eat table service breakfast. We ALWAYS have a table service lunch. We ALWAYS have a signature meal once a day. And we have no issue with consistently ordering the most expensive items on the menus. Lobster? Twice. Surf and Turf? Twice. Filet Mignon? Four times. Bison? Yup. Artisan Cheese Plate? Two please!

Curiosity is killing me, where do you get OJ in a refillable mug?

I have an idea!

Why don't you buy "gift cards" with $$$$ attached to them and use that as your "dining card". This way you can eat what you like WHEN YOU LIKE. You will not be locked in to eat every single day for every single member in your party.

Personally I think the new dining prices are beyond ridiculous. Just think about 6 years ago the Dining prices were approximately $35.99 per person and included an appetizer and the TIP!!!

I think this is borderline gouging people, in my opinon.
Brunettepixiedust:

I don't think I would call it "borderline" gouging; I would just call it gouging. Your being way too kind Brunette. :goodvibes

Unless I go during free dining I will not be buying the DDP in the future. Instead I will buy Disney gift cards at my local Giant Eagle, receive the fuel perks, and pay with my Disney Visa and get Disney Dollars.

Curiosity is killing me, where do you get OJ in a refillable mug?

You don't. As far as I know, milk and juices are unavailable for mug filling at all resorts. I've been to a lot of the resorts and I don't recall any that offer juice at this time.

My personal eating preferences are very much the same (don't have any problem ordering the filet or surf & turf + appetizer and dessert every night), our challenge is that we have a couple of young kids so we opt for earlier dinners, which creates a problem in spacing lunch and dinner far enough apart to be hungry enough to use all the entitlements at both meals.

So we typically do character breakfasts and signature dinners (with maybe an occasional TS lunch mixed in). The character breakfasts are a good dining plan value for kids under age 10 but not as much for adults. Still, under the old prices, it was pretty easy for an adult eating a character breakfast and signature dinner to come out ahead on the DxDP (assuming all dinner entitlements were used). Now it may or may not be, even using all snack credits. I'll personally probably still come out ahead (eating my filet or surf & turf) but DW often opts for a vegetarian entree.

And when DS turns 10, forget about it.

You don't. As far as I know, milk and juices are unavailable for mug filling at all resorts. I've been to a lot of the resorts and I don't recall any that offer juice at this time.

Me too, that is why I asked. Only two resorts left to try ..oops make it three with AOA, but I doubt I have the desire to stay there.

It could be that CraigInPA was using snack credits for the OJ.

Me too, that is why I asked. Only two resorts left to try ..oops make it three with AOA, but I doubt I have the desire to stay there.
OT: Which are your other 2 resorts? I have GF, YC, Fort Wilderness and AoA left :thumbsup2.

DDP: 1 TS credit costs ~$35.30

That means that a 2TS costs $70 per adult :scared1:

I think you might have to go to Narcossee's (sp?) and get the steak/seafood combo + the most expensive app and dessert to break even on that!

I don't recall juice, but I remember using some milk in my coffee that was near the coffee station at AS Music last year.

We've had the subjective versus objective valuation discussions at length. For me, in theory, I might come out a little ahead. But, I'd only do a dining plan if I was projecting rather significant savings. At the new pricing, I might save 5-10%, but that's not enough for me to justify it. What if I want to cancel a reservation... what if I'm not hungry.. what if 1 of my kids gets sick and doesn't want to eat anything.... Plus, feeling the pressure to "get value." All that, isn't worth a savings of 5-10% for me.
This past year, I probably saved about 20% on the DxDP -- that was worthwhile.

Going back in a few weeks without any dining plan. (But staying concierge). It's been nice, making a few reservations and knowing I can cancel most of them at the last minute, with no regrets. (Now I'll face the wrath of people for making reservations that I may or may not even keep).

Someone finally brought up risk! Woohoo...although not an economy expert-my Nerdy self always wonder how people forget this...

Many talk about peace of mind of prepay-but do you have piece of mind if you know you wasted money (I don't -I spend months mapping out how to hey maximum value)....then there is the missed an ADR or everyone got sick or I left food sitting on the table.

I would remind people to think carefully about giving Disney an interest free loan by prepaying for the meal plan.

Since when is prepaying something a good thing? Don't we want to hold onto our money as long as we can?

Why not prepay your electric, gas, etc. for the year if prepaying is such a stress reliever?

I have done the dxddp and half way through the vacation we didn't want to look at food. It's easy to think you want to order half the menu when planning the vacation. Once you are there and you are hot and occupied with fun things to do I don't think the desire to eat so much is there.

I have done the dxddp and half way through the vacation we didn't want to look at food. It's easy to think you want to order half the menu when planning the vacation. Once you are there and you are hot and occupied with fun things to do I don't think the desire to eat so much is there.

Perhaps for some people that's true, but we have done the Deluxe plan twice and loved it both times. I actually feel hungrier at WDW than at home, probably because we are using up so much energy every day. And the TS meals made great breaks too. So, I think it's just a case of, to each their own. Works for some people, not for others. No right or wrong way to do it.

I don't recall juice, but I remember using some milk in my coffee that was near the coffee station at AS Music last year.

They have milk or maybe half n half for use in coffee. But it's not there for guests to fill their mugs with milk.

I don't really like prepaying myself, because it limits me to what Disney wants me to order (entree, dessert) and they need to be worth the credit count. I went to California Grill and bought a plate of sushi and a couple scoops of ice cream. That's what I wanted. I suppose I could have had that on DDP but it would have cost 2 credits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter