Deluxe Dining Plan
Value and Regular Seasons
$99.97/adult
$26.84/child

Peak and Holiday Seasons
$102.27/adult
$28.91/child

2012 was $85.52/$89.52 and $23.79/$25.79
Damn... even I'm starting to doubt value now. Lots more math with updated menus will have to be done when they release them (expect beginning of the year at the earliest), but it looks like they're really starting to price anyone but the top end out of the system.

I suppose if DDP bookings tank this year (or over the next few), they'll start to take a second look at them.

If disney keeps up this 10% increase per year strategy they will really hurt themselves as peoples incomes are falling or staying the same

If disney keeps up this 10% increase per year strategy they will really hurt themselves as peoples incomes are falling or staying the same

The DXDP is almost a 20% increase!!!!!!!! :scared:

We were on the fence about whether or not to do the DDP for our upcoming vacation, most of which is in 2013. Looks like my decision has now been made!

Thank god for TIW!

We were on the fence about whether or not to do the DDP for our upcoming vacation, most of which is in 2013. Looks like my decision has now been made!

Thank god for TIW!
I'm pretty sure that if your check in is before New Years, you still get the 2012 pricing.

Not to put you back on the fence or anything though :p.

We tried to convince ourselves that ddp is a good value for a family of 5 but thank god they have priced us out of ever using it again.

Thank god for TIW!

It is just $2.53 more per adult per night, $2.33 per child. On a 10 night stay that for a family of four that is $97.20; less than the cost of a Mickey Bar per person each day ($140). Not sure why this would alter anyone's decision on whether to do the plan, especially since menu prices will rise as well. :confused3

It is just $2.53 more per adult per night, $2.33 per child. On a 10 night stay that for a family of four that is $97.20; less than the cost of a Mickey Bar per person each day ($140). Not sure why this would alter anyone's decision on whether to do the plan, especially since menu prices will rise as well. :confused3

You need to do your math again. The DxDDP is $14.45 more per night per adult and $3.05 per child. That's a lot more than a Mickey Bar. And menu prices will not increase that much.

This makes the free dining plan a WAY better discount for our family (3 adult priced and 2 children) than even a 40% percent off even a deluxe room.

$1200 discount for free dining for six nights.

Fingers crossed for free dining!

I thought paying $85.52 for the DxDP this past March was a lot. We just barely broke even since some of our credits we did use for CS and we do not order the most expensive item on the menu. $99 + just scares me as does wondering what the menu prices will rise to if paying OOP

For me, the DDP was minimal value in the first place, not counting the Free Dining promotion for my trip in Sept/Oct, it would have saved me roughly $20 over the length of the trip, (9 nights), so this does tip the scale in the opposite direction (9 x 2.53 > 20). Of course, for my solo trips, I don't consider DDP anyway since I prefer to dine differently.

The DxDDP hit is huge though. at ~$14 per night per person increase, this will shift many of the balance points (break-even, QS/TS ratios, how many can you skip) quite a bit further off their mark than they are now. Math will take some time to work out for those, but we'll see what we come up with.

For the credit costs, going back to Faldred's original calculations, we see the following (assuming all entitlements are the same):
2QS + 1S = 37.58
1TS + 1QS + 1S = 55.59
3Dx + 2S = 99.97

Using 3 for S (to symbolize an average of $3 for snack) we get

2QS = 34.58
1TS + 1QS = 52.59
3Dx = 93.97

QS = 17.29
Dx = 31.33

1TS + 1(17.29) = 52.59
TS = 35.30

So, in non-peak season, these are the rough estimated costs per credit per plan:
QSDP: 1 QS credit costs ~$17.29
DDP: 1 TS credit costs ~$35.30
DxDDP: 1 Dx credit costs ~$31.33

(*Cost per credit, at least in my world, is an estimation of how much the actual credit costs you when you buy the plan. There is no bearing on what you order, or how many credits you leave unused, since you still have them, they're just not used. Value per credit is where these things come into play. Again, at least in my world :p)

** ETA: I'm also going to go ahead and assume that the original numbers posted are correct. I'm sure they are, but when I was going to check via the formulas I used last year, I couldn't easily find a constant room to use to compare peak and non-peak across the different use cases I had created. As such, I gave up and didn't feel like doing it :p.

DDP: 1 TS credit costs ~$35.30
Take out tax, and it's about 33.50 per credit.
We can break it down further. Beverages are pretty close to $3 and desserts $6-7.

So you need to always order a $24 entree (with dessert and beverage, and with getting good qs value), just to break even.

There are many Disney TS restaurants with few to none choices above that level. (most have a couple $25-29 items).

And remembers, that's just to break even. Getting significant savings on a regular basis is virtually impossible. (not going to eat at Wolfgang Pucks for lunch every day, and Akershus buffet for dinner every night).

With the disproportionate jump in the DxDP cost, I have to think we may see a disproportionate price increase at the Signatures next year as well, since most people seem to justify DxDP by using it as much as possible for Signature dining.

We usually get the DxDDP, but at $100 pp/nt., there is no way we would do it next year. And next year, my youngest child turns 10, so we'll all be adults. Yikes!

We can break it down further. Beverages are pretty close to $3 and desserts $6-7.

So you need to always order a $24 entree (with dessert and beverage, and with getting good qs value), just to break even.

There are many Disney TS restaurants with few to none choices above that level. (most have a couple $25-29 items).

And remembers, that's just to break even. Getting significant savings on a regular basis is virtually impossible. (not going to eat at Wolfgang Pucks for lunch every day, and Akershus buffet for dinner every night).
I'm thinking the ~$17 mark on the QS meals is going to be even more difficult to hit. Looking at CHH, Tuna sandwich (8.99), drink (2.89 (lg), and dessert (3.59), totals 15.47. With tax, this brings it up to 16.47, so we're still around a dollar short of breaking even. The highest priced item on their menu is the salmon at $10.19... so even with that, we're looking at around 16.67/17.76 (heh, coincidence?), or a savings of a whopping $0.47 or ~2.6% (and again, that's the highest priced items on that menu).

Now, a ~$35 1 TS meal isn't quite as bad, 2012's mark was around $34. So while it wasn't easy and "automatic", it's not that big of a change there, but the huge change in the value of the QSDP (which is what drives the QS estimate on the DDP as you can see) is really going to make the DDP much tougher to come out with good savings overall (doesn't matter if you save $5 on every TS meal, if you lose $6 on every QS!)

From the posts on DIS, many people do not bother to consider the cost of the dining plan vs. paying out of pocket. They somehow equate paying in advance with saving money. I still haven't puzzled out that logic.

I suspect QS menu prices will rise in accordance with these DP increases. Also, WDW gves a lot of free dining to overseas guests UK etc. So, those who pay for dining plans probably end up subsidizing the free dining plan folks from within the US or across the pond. I have a feeling there will be less free dining offered in the next 2 years, as the Mouse doesn't want people who would come to WDW anyway, to expect free dining. Just my 2 cents.:coffee:

I have an idea!

Why don't you buy "gift cards" with $$$$ attached to them and use that as your "dining card". This way you can eat what you like WHEN YOU LIKE. You will not be locked in to eat every single day for every single member in your party.

Personally I think the new dining prices are beyond ridiculous. Just think about 6 years ago the Dining prices were approximately $35.99 per person and included an appetizer and the TIP!!!

I think this is borderline gouging people, in my opinon.

Brunettepixiedust:

You need to do your math again. The DxDDP is $14.45 more per night per adult and $3.05 per child. That's a lot more than a Mickey Bar. And menu prices will not increase that much.

My calculations were based on the poster's quick dining figures:

"Quick Dining
All Seasons
$37.58 per adult per night
$14.32 per child per night

2012 was $34.99 and $11.99 respectively"

So my math was correct.

For Plus Dining the poster listed the following "Peak and Holiday" removed for simplicity:

Plus Dining
Value and Regular Seasons
$55.59/adult
$17.16/child

2012 was $51.54/$16.02

This shows a rate increase of $4.05 per day per adult and $1.14 per child. For a family of 4 with 2 children over 10 days this amounts to $103.08. Again, Mickey bars at $3.50 each for 4 people over 10 days = $1.40.

The math will be different for everyone depending on everyone's own situation, and the value to each will be different. For instance, we did not get the dining plan last year because we stayed at FW in our RV and cooked many of our own meals.

However, staying in a hotel changes the equation for us and we do get the dining plan. Even if it costs slightly more (and it may or may not depending on your choice of restaurants and entrees), the value of not having to worry about prices, and knowing that meals are taken care of on arrival has value to our family.

To each his own, but while this is an increase, and that is never any fun, it certainly doesn't look like it will change the math much one way or another by a great deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter