2013 Dining Plan prices are here

My mother is the exact same way. She grew up very poor and likes being able to order whatever she wants without worrying about the price. If it is already paid for, she feels less "guilty" about paying crazy prices for a meal at WDW. She would always prefer to get the Dining Plan.
Some people are also the inverse of your mother, they feel they have to get the more expensive items simply because they want to get value rather than getting what they want. Just another side of the same coin (which, I'm sure you'd agree with).

My family is different. I am very much an anal planner. Using the menus on allears, I calculated the cost based on what we would really order. I think what gets lost is that many are spending money on things that they would not really order. If not on the plan, we would not get a dessert with lunch. I also would prefer plain 'ol ice water for lunch. At a few restaurants, I would just get an appetizer and dessert. We have already decided not to use the dining plan on our trip next summer (unless they chose to give it to us free and I do not anticipate that happening). For our family, the dining plan does turn out to be more money. I chose to calculate based on what we would really order and we just spend less that way.
Yes, and this is VERY very important to keep in mind when doing the math. There's another side to it though, and that's comparing what you're "ideal" dining experience is vs what you'd spring for OOP.

The best way that I can illustrate this is by personal example, so you all are coming with me on my trip in Sept/Oct. And by coming with me, I mean taking a peek into my mind when I made the decision to spring for DxDDP :p.

When I do my math, I compare what I'd be getting and where I'd be going OOP vs DxDDP. As such, the locations and orders changed between the two. I then worked my magic (e.g. let my spreadsheet calculate) and came out to ~$500/10 days for OOP or $680/10 days for DxDDP. I took those two numbers (or rather, the $180 difference) and compared that to the gain by going DxDDP. I'd gain roughly $450 worth of value for that $180 spent. I'd also be much closer to my ideal trip due to the differences in locations and experiences (actually, pretty much spot on). As such, I made the decision that spending this extra $180 was worth it for the increased gain in the trip. So, yes, I could have gotten away cheaper, (and, as I've been known to say, I could have decided to eat PB&J for the entire trip :p), but I felt that it was worthwhile to me to spend a bit more to enjoy much more.

So, the comparison of what you'd order for real is a very important piece of the puzzle, but it's not the whole picture if you get my drift.

Of course, this may all change next year....

Havoc,

Love your posts and analyses when it comes to DDP. In the above example, though, why did you have the hypothetical adult eat at Tony's in MK? Send them to dinner at Crystal Palace (at $40+ if I remember correctly) and now you have some plan value. Throw in a spouse and a couple of kiddos and there's even more value. ;)

Personally, I doubt that I would ever buy a plan. But we do have free dining next month. And since our ADR's include CP, 1900 PF, Boma, Ohana's and CRT, I'm pretty happy at the $1,000+ "value" of the free dining promo to us (much more than any room discount would bring) . . . :p
While I'm not speaking for Havoc, I fully agree with his choice of Tony's. Given the choice of Tony's, Plaza, or CP, Tony's would be the way to go for this illustration as it represents the middle of the road cost-wise. Choosing the top end (CP) is roughly as valid as choosing the bottom end (Plaza) for this type of example. Alternatively, you can replace MK with a resort and likewise choose the middle of the road option, the illustration remains the same.

I think both "sides" of the fence agree that using the extremes on either side don't illustrate the realities very well. As he's already responded in my slowbutt typing skills (I'm working, really I am.)

I'm waiting to see someone justify the pricing of the QSDP using the Cosmic Rays chicken & ribs combo, which I believe is only available at dinner now.
First they will eat an "early dinner" at 4:00 pm, and then a "late dinner" at 8 pm, and get huge savings with the QSDP!

While TIC, you've succinctly identified one of the difficulties of maximizing the value of the dining plans.

For example, with the 2013 price increases, Disney has effectively priced even the DxDP at the edge of even the more savy users' practical ability to drive value out of it.

Most savy DxDP users fall into one of two categories:

(1) Parties with no one under the age of, say 16, who use it for a 1 TS lunch and a late signature dinner (although such parties would often be better off opting for TIW)

(2) Parties with children under 10 (and no 10-12 pre-teens) who use it for a character breakfast and an early signature dinner.

Theoretically, you can drive the most value from the plan by using it for either: (A) 3 meals a day (with breakfast being a character buffet and lunch and dinner at relatively expensive 1 TS restaurants); or (B) an lunch at a relatively expensive 1 TS restaurant + a signature dinner per day (while, in either instance, using all available meal entitlements and snack credits).

However, both of these scenarios involve practical difficulties. The 3 meal a day scenario is simply too much food and time spent eating for most people (especially with the first meal being a buffet). And, if you have younger kids, the 1 TS lunch + signature dinner is tough because it's difficult to space the meals far enough apart to use all of your lunch entitlements and still be hungry enough to use all of your dinner entitlements (unless you have kids capable of consistently behaving well at a later dinner).

I still think the DxDP wins out if you're in the character breakfast + signature dinner crowd with kids under 10 (and no 10-12 pre-teens) AND you use all of your dinner entitlements AND generally order the more expensive dinner entrees (and your kids can generally behave well during, at least, an early dinner). But the 2013 price increase takes this from a "no brainer" to virtually "no margin for error."

Why is that terrible? I love the DDP when it's "free" for that very reason. I do think that you may change your mind next year when you have 4 "Disney Adults" and have to pay adult pricing for two kids instead of just one. You also may be paying lot more right now than you need to on the 11-year old now if they would have been still happy with kids meals. My 12-year old DD ate off the kids menus at many TS restaurants on our last trip because she was a fussy vegetarian who ate like a bird. The Disney owned restaurants will allow older kids to eat off the kids menu. I think that'll be her last trip on the kids menu though ... she's 5'1" and 100 lbs and starting to get an adult appetite.

I totally agree with you, my dd10 that will be added this year eats like an adult, (she is 5 ft 2 and over 100 lbs too)loves to try different things and eats like she has a hollow leg. Dd8.. Different story. Picky eater, teeny tiny.. She will not be eating like an adult at ten.

I still question the value because I am pretty frugal, but this same frugalness makes the DP sort of fun for me, splurging on food and not worrying about getting the $14 dinner instead of the $26 one. (I am weird that way).

But the 2013 price increase takes this from a "no brainer" to virtually "no margin for error."

Applause. Applause. Well said.
I used the DxDP for a trip in 2011 and 2012. In terms of adults, our daily value ranged from about $85 to $120. So it was really a "no brainer." We were breaking even, even on the cheapest days.

Under the new pricing, there would still be some days with pretty significant savings (Lobster night at Narcoose's!), but there would also be some losing days. (for example, 1 day did a $8 QS breakfast-Tonga Toast, a $33 lunch at Tony's, and a $40 dinner at Kona Cafe) The total experience would now need to be carefully calculated.

While in 2012 and earlier -- It was pretty hard to use 3 credits in a day and not at least break even. Now, it's actually pretty easy to lose money.

From the posts on DIS, many people do not bother to consider the cost of the dining plan vs. paying out of pocket. They somehow equate paying in advance with saving money. I still haven't puzzled out that logic.

:thumbsup2 We save money by paying OOP, and don't have to worry about needing to order the most expensive item on the menu to be sure we "get" our $$'s worth. A lot of time we don't want the most expensive - I like what I want at the time and it may be the cheapest (or not) on the menu. The QS plan is definitely a rip. And also on the plans now they make you buy the refillable mug. Say what? :confused3 We don't even drink their drinks - prefer water. That's a big money maker for them :crazy2:
It's like the pp said - having to "plan" to make sure you break even, let alone come out ahead!! What a headache that would be for me - not my idea of a fun relaxed vacation.

Welp, the jump up might just impact my decision to get the DxDP now.

I was doing the Math at the current rate, 5 nights was about 430 bucks for the DXDP, now it's pretty much 500 even.

At 430, with my ADRs and what I would order, I was looking to be in the green by 80-85 bucks, now I'll be lucky to scrape out 20 bucks.

I thought paying $85.52 for the DxDP this past March was a lot. We just barely broke even since some of our credits we did use for CS and we do not order the most expensive item on the menu. $99 + just scares me as does wondering what the menu prices will rise to if paying OOP

I'm with you there. We love the DxDP because we love to eat at a lot of the Signature restaurants and regular TS restaurants (we also do a lot of character meals while there). When we were planning out our upcoming stay I couldn't believe how much we were spending for 9 nights with 3 Disney adults and 1 child. We are going to DLR next year so after this trip our next WDW trip will be in 2014....I am NOT looking forward to seeing what the DDP or even the menu prices if paying OOP will be then :scared1:.

Hi! I not trying to debate you, I'm just thinking things through. If the previous poster stated that you would spend approximately $53.99 Out of Pocket per person per day, I'm still not sure why you or others would buy the dining plan? Again, not trying to be a contrarian here. But if you bought the food out of pocket then you can eat whenever you want on your time schedule and are NOT FORCED to eat every day (a snack, or Table Service etc.). Personally, I find the other poster's logic very sound advice, for me. But thank goodness we do have the TIW card which does save us 20 percent. I know you did mention convenience but why not fill gift cards up with $$ and use that for your food and beverage? Just a thought. :)

Thanks!
Brunettepixiedust:

:thumbsup2

This is why I did it in the past but this year my plan is to put the value of the DP on gift cards. For the first partial and full day I will eat whatever I want and pretend I'm on the plan but save receipts. AT the end of that time I will evaluate how much I have spent so far and as long as I haven't spent an overly large amount continue to buy whatever I want. Then at the end I can see what if anything is left on the cards.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the price difference in what you would have paid for a plan and what you actually eat because you want it.
I pay OOP and allow myself anything I desire. However, I do not eat 2 desserts every day, that's for sure!! I may eat a Mickey Bar during the day and then eat dessert with dinner but certainly would not do that every day of the trip because Disney is generous with food portions anyway so who can eat all that food? :scared:

:thumbsup2 We save money by paying OOP, and don't have to worry about needing to order the most expensive item on the menu to be sure we "get" our $$'s worth. A lot of time we don't want the most expensive - I like what I want at the time and it may be the cheapest (or not) on the menu. The QS plan is definitely a rip. And also on the plans now they make you buy the refillable mug. Say what? :confused3 We don't even drink their drinks - prefer water. That's a big money maker for them :crazy2:
It's like the pp said - having to "plan" to make sure you break even, let alone come out ahead!! What a headache that would be for me - not my idea of a fun relaxed vacation.

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with this.

I always read these boards and hear people talking about getting sick at Disney--food poisoning is usually what they blame--I think if you are eating to get the worth out of your plan, you're going to have a bellyache.

This makes perfect sense. We always order water with lemon. Sometimes we also split meals, and other times we bring snacks in with us. And we eat breakfast before we go. I rather save the extra money that would have gone to the DDP and put it in my 401K! LOL!

I just want to pop in here and thank all the math wiz's
But for now my head is spinning.
I am glad I popped in here to read all of this. You really opened my eyes to the breakdown of a credit!

Not practical for our family. We would have been stover $250 a day this year. Just back and on average our family of 6 spent about $150 a day.

We've not used the dining plan since the tip was no longer included. If you pick the most expensive meal, the tip increases proportionately. It's no longer a value. Besides, it's too much food!

I'm beginning to think there's a buffet price for people on the DDP and people paying OOP. We went to BOMA last fall, fully expecting to pay the $39+ charge per buffet. I think that's a lot of money but we love, LOVE BOMA. We were pleasantly surprised when the ticket for 5 adults was $150 + some change; not including tip. I can't explain it; not complaining but it makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

From the posts on DIS, many people do not bother to consider the cost of the dining plan vs. paying out of pocket. They somehow equate paying in advance with saving money. I still haven't puzzled out that logic.

It's a wash for us cost wise. What really matters is that I'm not whipping out my wallet four times a day. The more it comes out, the more I grumble, complain, feel nickel-and-dimed, and generally irritate and annoy my family while simultaneously defeating the purpose of relaxing and unwinding.

Plus, paid ahead means less to worry about budgeting. Personally, if they increased the cost by 20% and included an 18% gratuity automatically I'd be even more happy.

I've been a big fan of the deluxe plan, and I am glad we are doing one last trip with DxDP this October because I am not paying one hundred bucks per adult for it. Starting next year, we will go OOP.

I know many folks get the dining plan for free, but frankly it's simply not worth $56/day (And you *do* pay for it even when it's free because you are giving up a room discount for it). I would not compare the price of the FD discount vs. the 30% discount. I would compare the price of what you would actually pay for those meals OOP vs. the % room discount.

I have a feeling Disney's wonderful bean counters have realized that they are better off w/ folks paying the ridiculous rack rates and give them this "free" poor value dining plan, than have folks pay less for their rooms and pay OOP for their meals.

I am sooo into this thread. There must be something wrong with me! :rotfl2: I have a question for all you Mickey mathematicians out there, my quandary is would you get the QSMP for your DD (16) and yourself, both veg heads (9 days/8 nights) and be in prepaid bliss OR would you POP (with the clever GC option) and use your AP discount to make up the saving? I think this a no brainer but would love to hear opinions.

I just booked the DxDDP for October 2013 so I was reviewing the restaurant list in the 2013 DxDDP Brochure added to Disney's website. It is only showing 4 TS restaurants in Epcot and 1 in Downtown Disney. Has anyone else noticed this?? Most of the TS restaurants we were planning and visiting are no longer listed? Does Disney typically update this list closer to the ext year?

Sorry for all the questions, just wondering if I need to change our plans already.

This makes the free dining plan a WAY better discount for our family (3 adult priced and 2 children) than even a 40% percent off even a deluxe room.

$1200 discount for free dining for six nights.

Fingers crossed for free dining!

I agree, our family of 6 (4 "adults" and 2 kids) always goes when it is free dining now. The savings is greater than any other discount.

I am sooo into this thread. There must be something wrong with me! :rotfl2: I have a question for all you Mickey mathematicians out there, my quandary is would you get the QSMP for your DD (16) and yourself, both veg heads (9 days/8 nights) and be in prepaid bliss OR would you POP (with the clever GC option) and use your AP discount to make up the saving? I think this a no brainer but would love to hear opinions.
Unless something changes (which I don't foresee happening), I can't see QSDP being worthwhile as a money saver anymore. (Last year was a thin enough margin, they just shaved it even closer now.) Added to that, your vegetarianism (or preference for vegetables, whichever) and it will make it even less of a value (veggie options are typically on the low end of the menu price-wise). Now, if the pre-paid aspect of it is worth something to you, then there's no harm in going for it, but know that you're very likely to come out having spent more on the plan than you would off of it (I have a feeling that I'm going to be saying this a lot this year...).

Now, if I were in your shoes, you'd probably yell at me to get out of them (especially since you'd wonder who's this weird guy trying to put on your shoes). If I were in the same boat, and I had my flippy floppies, I'd go the gift card route if I were in your shoes, especially if you have access to the AP discount.

*(Pardon the silliness of the post, I've been staring at photos for a little over 2 1/2 hours... did some shooting on the way home from work today and processing them all, it gets me silly at times)

I just booked the DxDDP for October 2013 so I was reviewing the restaurant list in the 2013 DxDDP Brochure added to Disney's website. It is only showing 4 TS restaurants in Epcot and 1 in Downtown Disney. Has anyone else noticed this?? Most of the TS restaurants we were planning and visiting are no longer listed? Does Disney typically update this list closer to the ext year?

Sorry for all the questions, just wondering if I need to change our plans already.
The list of restaurants in the initial 2013 brochures is not final. They include only Disney-owned restaurants and those who have already signed the contract for 2013 (likely none at this point). Non-Disney restaurants have until the end of the year to sign back up for the next year. Historically, only 1 restaurant has ever dropped participation in the dining plan, Fulton's, and they rejoined for 2012. There's a good chance that your favorite restaurant that was on the plan for 2012 will be on it for 2013.

(Note: Many of the Epcot restaurants are, in fact, not owned by Disney. Same deal with Downtown Disney, and same deal with the Coronado Springs Resort)

(Another Note: Le Cellier specifically is now with the Signatures, so it's there, just hiding. It looks like it may end up being signature status for Lunch & Dinner for 2013)

(yes, that's on a notepad today, and will be for a few days :p)

Now, if I were in your shoes, you'd probably yell at me to get out of them (especially since you'd wonder who's this weird guy trying to put on your shoes). If I were in the same boat, and I had my flippy floppies, I'd go the gift card route if I were in your shoes, especially if you have access to the AP discount.

*(Pardon the silliness of the post, I've been staring at photos for a little over 2 1/2 hours... did some shooting on the way home from work today and processing them all, it gets me silly at times)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can try my shoes on any day Sir!
Thank you for the wonderful post :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter