2013 Dining Plan prices are here

I don't think I would call it "borderline" gouging; I would just call it gouging. Your being way too kind Brunette. :goodvibes

Unless I go during free dining I will not be buying the DDP in the future. Instead I will buy Disney gift cards at my local Giant Eagle, receive the fuel perks, and pay with my Disney Visa and get Disney Dollars.

Oh. My. Gosh! THAT IS A GREAT IDEA~!!! Love it! So you're making money getting the Disney gift cards at Giant Eagle at the same time your getting the discount gasoline and getting points on your Disney Rewards Visa because you paying with that card! WOW! You're letting YOUR HARD EARNED $$$$$$ work for you! LOVE IT!

This is the best post on this thread! :thumbsup2

PS - You are right Disney is gouging people! It's to the point where sooner or later there will a huge EXODUS. LOL

Brunettepixiedust:

They have milk or maybe half n half for use in coffee. But it's not there for guests to fill their mugs with milk.

It's either half and half or cream. It's definitely not milk. Not something you can drink straight up, just put a little in your coffee.

Since when is prepaying something a good thing? Don't we want to hold onto our money as long as we can?

Why not prepay your electric, gas, etc. for the year if prepaying is such a stress reliever?

I have done the dxddp and half way through the vacation we didn't want to look at food. It's easy to think you want to order half the menu when planning the vacation. Once you are there and you are hot and occupied with fun things to do I don't think the desire to eat so much is there.

My trip last year, I remember being full ALL the time...I even missed out on my funnel cake that I had been waiting for all year:lovestruc...but because we had dessert every meal, I forgot about it and remembered when I got home:sad:

One point I want to make is I don't see how the DDP is too much food for people? (Do you not eat three meals per day when you're at home- we do....and we would like to on vacation!)! For us, it's honestly not enough. We always have to buy extra things. For example, we may have breakfast at Crystal Palace, a snack around 3:00 pm, and then Columbia Harbour House for dinner. When DS decided he wants popcorn for his snack, we have to buy a soda or bottled water for him to wash it down with). When we use TS for dinner, CS for lunch, and a snack credit for breakfast, we have to buy milk OOP at breakfast. I don't see how people have extra snack credits when we always have to buy stuff OOP every trip. Maybe other people have snack credits left over because they bring groceries, such as granola bars, so that they don't have to buy breakfasts???? By the way, none of us are overweight (we just have metabolisms to where we need to eat every 4-6 hours), plus we generally open and close the parks each day so we work up an appetite with all our walking.

Anyway, I did the math myself and figured out that we would come out ahead by over $300 paying OOP with a TIW card (and that's including the cost of buying a TIW card). I included the exact same restaurants for each calculation and the exact same things ordered.

I way overestimated what we would purchase when I did my calculations. So in my calculations for both DDP, OOP, and OOP with TIW, I included the fact that we generally need to buy an extra soda for everyone each day (unless maybe someone has a Mickey bar and doesn't need an extra drink that day) and I included everybody wanting to get a chocolate cake, for example, at Cosmic Ray's (which not everybody is going to want everyday, but I wanted to go on the high side of estimating OOP, so that nobody has to feel like they have to skimp on what they want if we go OOP).

On our next trip, it will be me, DH, DD (16), and DS (who will be 10 then), so four adults on the plan for nine nights, which is $2049.84 just on the cost of the DDP alone. Then when I add in extra sodas that we will more than likely purchase, it becomes $2125.29 (including tax on our extra sodas). Then when I figure in 20% tips, our grand total for DDP, extras, and tips becomes $2280.39. We don't really ever drink alcohol, so none of that is figured in.

For OOP without TIW, our costs for everything (including the four of us each getting a premade CS dessert at every CS, which we may not all want) including tax is $1806.24. When I add in tips, it becomes $1961.24. So it is less money than just the cost of the DDP credits of $2049.84! However, there could be inflation, which I did not figure in to my OOP costs.

When I figured in buying a TIW card, our costs for all food with the discount, tax, and tip is $1781. For the most part, I subtracted a 20% TIW discount (where applicable) and added in 20% tip, but tips are included at Cinderella's Castle, so I didn't figure in a tip there. Plus a discount at Flametree and no tip there, so even adding in the tip for the whole trip, the TIW was still lower (it's like the discount more than pays for a 20% tip so that is GREAT!!) Then I added in $90 assuming a 5% inflation rate, which may be high and $100 for the TIW card and my total would be $1971! I think I'll get a gift card for an even $2000, since somebody will undoubtedly want a souvenir mug from Pizza Planet or a popcorn souvenir bucket at Hollywood Studios. Even with a $2000 gift card, it's still less than the cost of the DDP plan of just the $56.94 per night which again would be $2049.84 for 4 "adults."

However, we DO eat a lot of character BREAKFASTS, which I know is a poor use of the plan. But we love breakfast at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace. And we're also having breakfast at Cinderella's Castle which would require two credits on the p;lan. And we're eating lunch at Sci-Fi one day- and on another day, we'll have dinner at 50's PTC, so I know that we aren't eating steak at Kona Cafe or anything else which would have maximized the plan. However, this is how my family likes to eat.:goodvibes

I'm glad that everyone has posted so much good information to consider. We have just always gotten the DDP, so never really put pencil to paper. Glad that everyone brought up so many good points so that I finally decided to spend time to calculate everything.

I did not figure in mugs. We stayed at Kidani on our last trip and so many times, we did not make it back to the hotel by 11:00 to be able to refill our mugs anyway. There was really no point in having them. Plus when we were actually able to use them, I was annoyed since I had to wash them. I really don't want to wash any dishes while on vacation, lol.

TexasErin you made lots of great points! I am investigating the pros/cons for our family too 2 adults and 2 sons, both are disney adults. 12, and 14. We also can do without the CS desserts, lots of times we asked for an extra bottle of water or apples or grapes. We do not qualify for TIW so its either pay oop for 7 TS mostly at dinner, and each person a CS lunch. We eat breakfast in the room, and sometimes use snack credits for muffin/danish. Got time, but the calculating is making me dizzy.

Thanks! Good luck with what you decide- it really is time-consuming to add up, but I feel like I just saved us $300 by taking the time to figure it out....Wish I'd done this sooner- I might could have saved us money on our last trip, lol.

:thumbsup2

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the price difference in what you would have paid for a plan and what you actually eat because you want it.
I pay OOP and allow myself anything I desire. However, I do not eat 2 desserts every day, that's for sure!! I may eat a Mickey Bar during the day and then eat dessert with dinner but certainly would not do that every day of the trip because Disney is generous with food portions anyway so who can eat all that food? :scared:

:thumbsup2 I totally agree with this.

I always read these boards and hear people talking about getting sick at Disney--food poisoning is usually what they blame--I think if you are eating to get the worth out of your plan, you're going to have a bellyache.

That's really a good point! I often just feel really YUCKY on vacation. I DO need three meals a day, but it's a lot less healthy than what I eat at home....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter