• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2010 Dining Plan Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The price for the deluxe plan is not increasing.

The per-night price for the quick service plan increases from $29.99/adult and $8.99/child to $31.99/ adult and $9.99/child.

The per-night price for the basic dining plan in non-peak periods increases from $39.99/adult and $10.99/child to $41.99/adult and $11.99/child.

The per-night price for the basic dining plan in peak periods increases to $46.99/adult (some sites say $47.99/adult) and $12.99/child. This applies to package reservations only and not to DVC members staying on points.

Peak periods are:
February 12 – April 10, 2010
June 4 – August 14, 2010
December 17 – 31, 2010

TDC Nala, I wanted to commend you on your patience and kindness on this thread. :worship: You have responded in such a professional way to a question that has been asked at least 80 times in a row. (It's a good thing I'm not the moderator I'd have told people off by now. :rotfl:)

TDC Nala, I wanted to commend you on your patience and kindness on this thread. :worship: You have responded in such a professional way to a question that has been asked at least 80 times in a row. (It's a good thing I'm not the moderator I'd have told people off by now. :rotfl:)

HERE HERE!:yay:

Sorry if this has been addressed but I want to confirm that the Fantasmic Dinner packages are still 1 TS credit?

Can't find the info anywhere!

Running the numbers with the increased prices in 2010 it looks as if we would only save $15 by getting the 1TS1CS1S plan for 6 nights. And that's only if we ordered dessert at every CS and used all the snacks which we probably wouldn't (we usually load up on take home rice crispie treats at the end of the trip). I know this is an age old debate! Sorry! Really considering just paying OOP. Seems as though DDP is only really cost effective now if you eat mainly TS dinners or a la carte restaurants. It's nice to have everything prepaid but not if you'll lose value (which is a relative term at Disney :rotfl:).

First, I want to apologize is this topic has already been answered elsewhere. I searched all day but there is just so much information out there and no real answers so here goes:

Does the free DDP in August/September ever overlap with MNSSHP and when does Disney generally release info about that year's DDP. I am planning on making reservations in January. Is that going to be too late? Too early? Any advice on trying to make the most out of MNNSHP AND my money? My priorities are on the party but the DDP would be an added bonus and any info would be a big help.

Thanks,
Black 'n' Red

Sorry if this has been addressed but I want to confirm that the Fantasmic Dinner packages are still 1 TS credit?

The Fantasmic Dinner Package costs 1 TS credit per person at Mama Melrose or Hollywood & Vine, and 2 TS credits per person at Brown Derby.

It follows whatever the regular credit cost of the restaurant is.

First, I want to apologize is this topic has already been answered elsewhere. I searched all day but there is just so much information out there and no real answers so here goes:

Does the free DDP in August/September ever overlap with MNSSHP and when does Disney generally release info about that year's DDP. I am planning on making reservations in January. Is that going to be too late? Too early? Any advice on trying to make the most out of MNNSHP AND my money? My priorities are on the party but the DDP would be an added bonus and any info would be a big help.

Thanks,
Black 'n' Red

Recently they have started MNSSHP right after Labor Day so it overlaps a LOT with the September free dining.

They generally don't release free dining for booking until late March/early April (Disney often changes things but that's what they've done in the past). If you book in January and you book a package, you may be able to add the free dining discount to your package later if there is availability at the resort you want, but if you book a room only reservation you will have to cancel that and rebook your reservation as a package if you want free dining.

Running the numbers with the increased prices in 2010 it looks as if we would only save $15 by getting the 1TS1CS1S plan for 6 nights. And that's only if we ordered dessert at every CS and used all the snacks which we probably wouldn't (we usually load up on take home rice crispie treats at the end of the trip). I know this is an age old debate! Sorry! Really considering just paying OOP. Seems as though DDP is only really cost effective now if you eat mainly TS dinners or a la carte restaurants. It's nice to have everything prepaid but not if you'll lose value (which is a relative term at Disney :rotfl:).

Of course the unknown variable in that analysis is if/how much menu prices will increase between now and your travel dates. Just something to keep in mind and keep an eye on, since you can add the DDP right up until a few days before travel.

I was looking at the official WDW site at the dining plan brochures. I was looking at Epcot listings and am surprised to only see 12 restaurants! Is this normal to have such a short list being this close to the new year? Are they just limiting dining plan places for 2010??? I sure hope not because we have ADR's at several places that are not on the list. :scared1:

This is normal. Restaurants don't confirm until the end of the year. The new list should be out very soon.

I hope that you are right! I knew the final lists didn't come out until late in the year, but I would think that 3 weeks before the new year starts that they'd have a more definite list. I will just wait until after the 1st so i don't worry myself. If anyone else knows...please post!

I have seen DVC members post who have asked Member Services and were given the $41.99 per adult per night and the $11.99 per child per night price for peak periods on the basic dining plan.
(DVC members do not pay for the plan until they check in, so none of them have actually paid yet)

Not only that, but the DVC Member Website shows only one price for the basic dining plan in 2010 and does not break that down into peak and regular pricing.

Posting here for reference... the mods are more than welcome to fold it into the 2010 FAQ if they want to.

Q. What is the actual "value" of a dining plan credit?

A. Based on the face value price of the various dining plans, I've come up with a rough estimate as to the "break-even" value of each type of plan credit. If you're interested in how I came up with these numbers, read on; if you just want the numbers themselves, skip to the end.

Important note: all credit "values" should be compared to OOP costs after taxes (menu price + 6.5%) (7% at some value resort food courts).

Let's start with basic assumptions. For the QSDP and DxDP, I value the "resort mug" at $0. I do this for a couple of reasons, the most straightforward being that a non-zero valuation would need to be spread out over the number of nights of the plan. Also, it's likely something I personally wouldn't buy if it wasn't included for free in the package. Obviously, other people may place a value on it, but it does confuse the math. The other main assumption is that the "break even" value of a snack credit is $3.00, regardless of whether it's for a child or an adult. We have enough "unknown" variables in these equations (4 unknowns in 3 equations) that we need to make one assumption, and since a snack credit is identical across all plans and has a fairly narrow range of possibilities, guessing here is the best bet. If you choose to value a snack credit differently, then simply carry this value through the remaining calculations below. I'll also round up plan costs to the nearest dollar (a $0.01/night/person difference is, I'm sure you'll agree, negligible).

From these assumptions, we can value the QSDP and DxDP credits directly. At $32/night for QSDP, the break-even point is $26 after snacks, so a CS credit has a $13 break-even point. At $72/night for DxDP, the break even point is $66 after snacks, so a DxDP meal credit has a $22 break-even point. (By the same math, kids' CS credits cost $2 and DxDP credits cost $5.)

Now that we have CS and snack values, we can determine basic DDP TS credit values. For non-peak, the $42/night for adults becomes $26 after deducting $3 for a snack and $13 for a CS credit; that $26 is the TS credit value. During peak season, the extra $5/night goes straight to the TS credit value, making it $31. Again, similar math for kids' credits yields $7 non-peak and $8 peak for a TS credit.

You might be slightly confused as to why a DxDP credit is actually valued at less than a DDP TS credit even though the DxDP credit includes an appetizer (where applicable) and the basic TS credit doesn't. There are two reasons -- first, DxDP credits get the benefit of buying "in bulk", that is, a larger "order" is often at a lower "per unit" price. Also, note that DxDP credits can be used for CS as well as TS, which pushes the average down a bit.

To summarize, based on the assumptions and calculations above, the "break-even" value (after tax) of each plan credit type is:

• (All Plans) Snack credit $3 adult, $3 child
  • QSDP or DDP CS credit $13 adult, $2 child
  • DDP TS credit $26/$31 for non-peak/peak adult, $7/$8 for non-peak/peak child
  • DxDP Meal credit $22 adult, $5 child

If you want to compare credit values to pre-tax prices (at 6.5% sales tax), use:

• (All Plans) Snack credit $2.82 adult, $2.82 child
  • QSDP or DDP CS credit $12.21 adult, $1.88 child
  • DDP TS credit $24.41/$29.11 for non-peak/peak, $6.57/$7.51 for non-peak/peak child
  • DxDP Meal credit $20.66 adult, $4.69 child

Faldred-

Very nice breakdown! I hope it helps others as well. I tried finding the breakdown once, but stopped when I almost HAD a breakdown :lmao:!

Now, I just add up my reciepts and see if it is less than what I paid for the DDP ;).

And I can't wait for the new DDP list to come out.

Forgive me, Faldred, but my brain turns off when I have to deal with math and numbers. :laughing: If I'm understanding this list correctly, I would have to eat at least $22 per meal for the DxDP to break even. If I spent less than $22 per meal, I would be paying more than I'm actually using.

Vicki

Great breakdown! I had given up and decided the DDP was worth whatever it cost not to have to worry with paying OOP. I think we will probably spend $13 per person CS and $26 per person TS and if nothing else break even. Its just to much to try and math out for me LOL

Forgive me, Faldred, but my brain turns off when I have to deal with math and numbers. :laughing: If I'm understanding this list correctly, I would have to eat at least $22 per meal for the DxDP to break even. If I spent less than $22 per meal, I would be paying more than I'm actually using.

Vicki
$22 X 3 meals (including appetizer/QS or TS) = $66.

Faldred's assumption of snack cost = $3 X 2 (per day) = $6.

$66 + $6 = $72 which is the cost of the DxDP per person/per day.

You can, as Faldred mentioned, also factor in the cost of the refillable mug which is included in the DxDP. If you know how many days you are staying, divide the mug cost by the number of days to get your per day cost and then subtract that amount from the $72 in order to "break even".

Thanks for your post, Faldred:teacher:

You have to average $22 per meal. Very often, it will work out that you have some less and some more expensive, but so long as the average is above $22 the plan is worth buying.

For example:
Kona breakfast: $17
Columbia Harbour House lunch: $15
Kona dinner: $46

Even though two of the three meals this day are less than the $22 mark, the average of the three comes to about $23, so you wouldn't be losing money on the plan. And where it gets to be a good value are on days like this:

Akershus breakfast: $31
snacks for lunch
Flying Fish dinner: $68
Average per-credit value - $33

Vicki

As Colleen27 notes, it's an average. One of the reasons the per-credit cost is lower is that it is assumed that you will be using some of them on lower-cost meals such as CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter