• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

“IT’S OUR MOTHER DAUGHTER TRIP!” Our Spontaneous Getaway - April 2011 COMPLETE 9/13

Sounds like a great travel day! Minus the no grilled cheese! :confused3 Was it a kids menu item or something??

We are staying at Coronado Springs in 72 days (lol) so I am happy to hear you thought it was pretty! :thumbsup2

How awesome that your driver took you right to Jambo House! I bet it was a great meal!!!! :surfweb:

Oh Lord. I'm VERY late. Stop the rumors, Jess and I are still best friends, Kristen's internet just had a lapse of "I'm not going to work" and I got slightly lazy at the same time. :laughing: But what else could you expect from your favorite frump? Hahaha.

BUT I'M HERE!!!!! :woohoo:

And loving this! Great job with the intro! I love the spiel about you and mother. Adorable. And I love those dresses! If they have some cute ones when I go in 11 days! :-)yay:) then I am soo buying them!

Okay...first update...I missed that too. Sheesh. I remember you telling me that you were sad about grilled cheese. LOL. But yayy for getting to Orlando half an hour early! :thumbsup2

Thank you for the handy dandy Magical Express directions, becuase, like you, I am always to excited to know where I'm going. Now maybe I will! I should write those down...

HALLELUJAH for getting an actual Magical Express bus! YAY! I remember how sad you were that it was a Mears bus in February. And that sign is lovely as always. I love driving under it at night. No clue why, it's just super magical to me then. :wizard:

I remember you telling me about your busdriver's descriptions of the resort...and I think you said it was a passenger that said that POP was a "motel 6" or whatever. How rude.

That Welcome Home sign melts my heart. I miss AKL so much, I think it's tied with the Yacht Club really. :love:

Can't wait to hear about dinner...and I know where it is. ;) hahaha.

Wow that was a long day at school before you left! I graduated hs this year too so I know what it was like, especially before a Disney trip:laughing: At least you had a good flight though and got there early, that's always a plus. Can't wait to hear about your dinner!

Wow at going to school before your trip to Disney World! I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on all the tests and quizzes! :laughing:

Am glad you enjoyed Hamlet and love the sunset picture that was taken! :thumbsup2

I'm seriously jealous by how much you go to Disney. Write more :) It's summer you have time!!! :lovestruc can't wait to hear more! Love you! <3

Oh my gosh, Jess! That's like 3 trips in less than six months, right? You should get an award or something. I am so jealous! And you stayed at AKL? I'm even more jealous! We had dinner at AKL last week and now I want to stay there more than ever! It's absolutely gorgeous.

I'm glad travel went smoothly, aside from not being able to order a grilled cheese (what's up with that? Grilled cheese is the GREATEST) and a bit of a rush to your dinner reservations.

Oh, I must ask, is Goofy holding Mickey rice crispy treats in that airport picture? Clearly I must fly to Orlando soon to take my own photo in that spot. I mean, you know how I feel about Mickey rice crispy treats. :rotfl:

CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!

Getting there is always exciting!! :banana:

Boo homework and studying and anything school related right before vacation! :laughing:

It really is! I LOVE going it's so much fun!!
And I know right?! At least I didn't have too much to do on the actual trip!

I know I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on school right before leaving for Disney! And yay for arriving early than planned, otherewise you would have missed your dinner reservation!

Haha it was difficult! I had to pretend I wasn't going throughout the day so I could get through it. And yeah, seriously! I never noticed until I wrote this TR installment that our flights were so early... Thank God! It wouldn't have worked if we were just on time!

Lucky you, getting to go to disney right after school. I went to Disney WITH school and I had to wait until early the next morning. :sad2: I disprove of this Hahaha LOL JK

Sorry you didn't get your Grilled Cheese like you wanted. I don't understand why they didn't let you in the first place ?_? I don't think I've ever heard of restaurants forcing you not to order one specific meal. I will never understand some places :confused3

Sounds like you had a nice flight! :-) Totally agree about finding the Magical Express. I'm probably going to have to write it down on a notepad. I usually remember where you have to go for certain places, but it's just a blur, even reading this and seeing the AKL sign, reminding me of my first trip, I don't remember :/ Nice of you helping first timers :thumbsup2

I can't believe how many stops they had before you got off the bus. And I can't believe the person who called POP, a glorified Motel 6... ummm... yeah right! POP is probably the best value you can get, Motel 6 you could get by sleeping in a dump. Sorry must rant about that.

At least you did make it to your resort (well the other half), can't wait to hear about your experience with Kidani, love that place! :mickeyjum

Going to Disney right after school was so fun! And aww well going to Disney WITH school would be AMAZING... I never got to do that!
And well.. the grilled cheese was on the kids menu. So they wouldn't let me have it :( Wah. Not fair. I AM A CHILD.
And yeah, Magical Express is confusing! I will try to remember for next time, but most likely I'll be asking someone again haha
And yeah I agree about Pop. I hate when people compare Disney to the real world. Seriously people, like, leave it alone. You couldn't do it any better!
And yes, thank goodness! I can't wait to share those updates!

Sounds like a great travel day! Minus the no grilled cheese! :confused3 Was it a kids menu item or something??

We are staying at Coronado Springs in 72 days (lol) so I am happy to hear you thought it was pretty! :thumbsup2

How awesome that your driver took you right to Jambo House! I bet it was a great meal!!!! :surfweb:

Yeah, it was on the Kid's Menu. What the heck... they should still have let me order it!
And aww yay! It really way! And hey... now it's 71 days!!
And yes, that was really nice of him!
And mmmmm yes that was a great meal! That's coming up next!

yay! Excited to be on board for another TR! Great job girl! :)

Hooray! Thank you so much! I'm glad you're here!

Oh Lord. I'm VERY late. Stop the rumors, Jess and I are still best friends, Kristen's internet just had a lapse of "I'm not going to work" and I got slightly lazy at the same time. :laughing: But what else could you expect from your favorite frump? Hahaha.

BUT I'M HERE!!!!! :woohoo:

And loving this! Great job with the intro! I love the spiel about you and mother. Adorable. And I love those dresses! If they have some cute ones when I go in 11 days! :-)yay:) then I am soo buying them!

Okay...first update...I missed that too. Sheesh. I remember you telling me that you were sad about grilled cheese. LOL. But yayy for getting to Orlando half an hour early! :thumbsup2

Thank you for the handy dandy Magical Express directions, becuase, like you, I am always to excited to know where I'm going. Now maybe I will! I should write those down...

HALLELUJAH for getting an actual Magical Express bus! YAY! I remember how sad you were that it was a Mears bus in February. And that sign is lovely as always. I love driving under it at night. No clue why, it's just super magical to me then. :wizard:

I remember you telling me about your busdriver's descriptions of the resort...and I think you said it was a passenger that said that POP was a "motel 6" or whatever. How rude.

That Welcome Home sign melts my heart. I miss AKL so much, I think it's tied with the Yacht Club really. :love:

Can't wait to hear about dinner...and I know where it is. ;) hahaha.

Hahaha welcome back, frump. Glad you could join us.
Thank you very much! I hope you find cute dresses when you're down there - you should definitely buy one!
And yes, my grilled cheese </3 wah. But yay for Disney. That made me happier.
And haha i should just get those directions tattooed on me so I can remember or something.
And EEP yay for magical express... yay for going under the purple arches!
Hmm alright it was a guy. I couldn't remember. I just wrote it down in quotes LOL
And yes, I love AKL. It's a great one!
Yummm yay for dinner! I can't wait to share that update!

Wow that was a long day at school before you left! I graduated hs this year too so I know what it was like, especially before a Disney trip:laughing: At least you had a good flight though and got there early, that's always a plus. Can't wait to hear about your dinner!

I know, right?! Thank goodness we got there with no troubles! I can't wait to share the dinner update!

Wow at going to school before your trip to Disney World! I wouldn't have been able to concentrate on all the tests and quizzes! :laughing:

Am glad you enjoyed Hamlet and love the sunset picture that was taken! :thumbsup2

Haha I don't know how I did it! But thank goodness those were out of the way!
And yes, Hamlet wasn't too bad! (I actually used that book for my AP Exam essay and Final Exam essay, so good thing I understood it!) and thank you! I love sunsets!

Joining in! Mother/Daughter trips to the world are the best! Can't wait to read more. :thumbsup2

Aww yay! Yes, they're great! Can't wait to share more!

I'm seriously jealous by how much you go to Disney. Write more :) It's summer you have time!!! :lovestruc can't wait to hear more! Love you! <3

Haha aww I will! :-) You're precious. Thank you so much for reading!! 9 DAYS FOR YOU! Love you too, princess!

Oh my gosh, Jess! That's like 3 trips in less than six months, right? You should get an award or something. I am so jealous! And you stayed at AKL? I'm even more jealous! We had dinner at AKL last week and now I want to stay there more than ever! It's absolutely gorgeous.

I'm glad travel went smoothly, aside from not being able to order a grilled cheese (what's up with that? Grilled cheese is the GREATEST) and a bit of a rush to your dinner reservations.

Oh, I must ask, is Goofy holding Mickey rice crispy treats in that airport picture? Clearly I must fly to Orlando soon to take my own photo in that spot. I mean, you know how I feel about Mickey rice crispy treats. :rotfl:

CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE!!

Haha I know... I'm nuts. Haha this never happens! But this year is just crazy Disney year - which is fantastic!
And yes, it's beautiful isn't it!? What restaurant did you eat at?
I know... that dang grilled cheese. WHY do you have to be a kid to order off the kid's menu? Anybody want to tell me? Not okay. Grilled Cheese should really be on the regular menu.
Thank goodness we made it to our reservation on time!
And YES HE IS! Haha you really do need to fly there just to get that picture. Because you would freak outt! Mickey Rice Krispies are FANTASTIC!

Going to Disney right after school was so fun! And aww well going to Disney WITH school would be AMAZING... I never got to do that!

It was very fun, but I must say I prefer it with family since I don't have the luck of having Disney-crazed fans like us. :-)

And well.. the grilled cheese was on the kids menu. So they wouldn't let me have it :( Wah. Not fair. I AM A CHILD.

Awww... that's crazy they wouldn't let you have it. I think if they read your frump-ified TR then they would know Jess is a child Hahaha

And yeah I agree about Pop. I hate when people compare Disney to the real world. Seriously people, like, leave it alone. You couldn't do it any better!

True this. Like I think the All Stars aren't that great, but seriously you cannot compare Disney to anything, there's nothing like it (well to people on here anyways) :goodvibes

Chapter 2 - Jiko
April 7th, 2011

We finally were at the Jambo house, and it was time to make our way over to our first dining experience of the trip! We decided, since we were staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we should try Jiko!

dsc0688y.jpg

Since we were running to get there on time, however, I didn't have time to change! So I was still wearing sweatpants!! :lmao: Of course the frump shows up to a Signature restaurant dressed in sweatpants! What a fail. Oh well.. they let it slide.

dsc0681oy.jpg

Here's the inside of the restaurant:

dsc0679v.jpg

We were seated really fast and our server's name was Shellie. She was AWESOME!

They brought us hot towels to start off.

The Filet with Mac and Cheese was no longer on the menu, and I was sad because I was really looking forward to finally trying that! So, I just asked Shellie to make sure, and she said they could make it for me! Yay!

She actually asked if I read about it on disboards. I told her yes and my friend (Kristen) and I are obsessed with all of the food. She seemed to know about it, but didn't go into detail. She had a guilty look on her face.... I think she's a diser ;)

We ordered our food, and then we were brought Cauliflower Soup! I don't even like Cauliflower and I really liked this! It was very yummy!

dsc0682c.jpg

The bread was next, and it was DELICIOUS! It had cinnamon in it and it was just so good! The spread was also very yummy!

dsc0683w.jpg

Then we got our meals! Mother got the Maize Crust Corvina which was fantastic! Shellie said that it would be her "before death meal" if she had to choose one!

dsc0685n.jpg

I got the Filet with Mac and Cheese with red wine sauce. The Filet was AMAZING! But if I got it again, I wouldn't get the sauce. It overpowered the mac and cheese and I don't really have an acquired taste for wine. Overall, though, it was a good meal!

dsc0684dw.jpg

Shellie loved this table that was near us with two young boys. They talked for a long time... but it's okay, we were patient.

She brought up our check with shortbread cookies. We were just too full for dessert!

dsc0686d.jpg

We were one of the last tables left for the night!

We really enjoyed Jiko and I am so glad that we got to eat there! And I'm also glad they didn't kick me out because I was wearing sweatpants. :lmao: What a great night!

dsc0687y.jpg

Overview of Jiko Dining Experience
Food: Delicious! The bread was fantastic with a cinnamon hint. The food was very authentic! The red wine sauce was overpowering, though. The fish was amazing! 5/5
Waitress: Shellie
Service: VERY friendly and attentive which made for an amazing dining experience! Besides being distracted with the other table at the end, she was very efficient. You can tell just by the server that it was a signature restaurant. Good detail! 5/5
Overall Experience: WONDERFUL! One of Mother's new faves. It was a little pricey, but it was worth it. You pay for what you get. There were lots of options. It was a great first night meal!

Continued in Next Post

that looks delicious! there are apparently many restaurants I have yet to try. I'll add this one to my list :) No worry about the sweats. One time, I'm pretty sure I was in tony's, there was some mother in a SWIMSUIT with baggy shorts on. In Tony's!!!!:sad2:

What a great start! The steak and mac'ncheese is right up my alley - I would pass on the wine sauce too!
Waiting (im)patiently for more! :cutie:

Haha aww yay I'm so glad! Thank you for reading! And it was so fun, my Mom and I are really close! And hahaha well, I'm sure if you were in Disney you would still have fun together :rotfl:

I hope so! I've been thinking about going down to Flower & Garden with my mother and older sister sometime - an extra person is the key to family vacations I've found. :upsidedow

I love all the different breads/butters that the restaurants have! I would LOVE to go on a bread-tasting tour through Disney. Do you remember what the napkins were made of? When I first saw the picture, I mistook it for burlap, which seemed weird for a signature. Were they just striped?​

Looks like it was really yummy...I would have to forgo the red sauce I think though....

Glad they overlooked your "frumpiness" although...you don't look like a frump at ALL! :)

Jiko sounds like a great table service! :thumbsup2 The Maize Crust Corvina looks and sounds delicious as does your Filet with mac n cheese with red wine sauce. Oh, some nice concoctions! I also love "fancy" bread, so that cinnamon bread sounds like something for me. :-) Your waitress sounded very nice (so nice of them to ignore the hint of Frump ;))... she did sound like a DISer and I wonder if she'll stumble upon this TR... hmmm... Great picture of you and your mom! :cutie: Now, I must ask, did you make any ADRs at Sanaa since you were staying at Kidani? That's my favorite Disney restaurant so I have to ask. LOL Can't wait to read more! :mickeyjum

Extra note on the side, love your new profile pic and the frumpy princess tag! :teeth:

Jiko looks so yummy! The filet w/ mac and cheese looks delicious, glad they still made it for you. And that's pretty cool that your waitress was a secret DISer!:rotfl:

Great updates! I'm falling behind again....:confused: I must get on the ball. ;)
The food looks yummy and I am glad that you gals are enjoying yourselves so much! And both of you look fantastic, you don't have that weary traveler look.

(oh and the red sauce......I would've skipped that too. In fact I might of needed a different plate to transfer over some of that food...lol)

Did I miss the post about which college you are going to in the fall? I have a son in college so I love talking about that stuff. PM me if you want :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter