“Hey bartender, let the whiskey fall” – 2010 F&W Report - 12/8 - 3D Dessert Party

Karamell-Kuche
As we got to the Germany Pavillion, there was one of the shoppe's employees handing out samples of the goodies that waited inside. She had a tray with the caramel corn, caramel squares, & something else that I didn't try. With the awesome quality of those samples, I knew we needed to go inside and buy something to enjoy later!

I couldn't figure out what exactly I wanted so I took some time to figure out what exactly I wanted. I ended up going with Chocolate Cookie w/ Caramel Filling and a Large Bag of Fresh Caramel Corn

033ay.jpg

It took me the rest of the week to devour the bag of caramel corn & each time I feel more and more in love with it.

The chocolate cookie, well I ended up not eating it until the day after I got home (this past Sunday) while I was catching up on my DVR. It still tasted fresh & I loved it! I can only imagine how much better it would taste when its not 5 days old.

I liked the shrimp cake, it had the consistency of shrimp to me. I think it was a hit or miss thing.

The lettuce wrap though, that I'll agree on, it was delicious!!!

I liked the shrimp cake, it had the consistency of shrimp to me. I think it was a hit or miss thing.

The lettuce wrap though, that I'll agree on, it was delicious!!!

I'm glad you liked it! I think I would give it another chance since it seems to be so varied. Too bad I don't get to go back for more F&W this year.

I loved that pork & may end up trying to make it myself for an upcoming potluck I'm going to.

EPCOT Food & Wine Festival Part 3

United States

Our next stop was the United States booth where nothing really stood out for my food wise, but drink wise.

Red Stag Lemonade by Jim Beam
023xt.jpg

So good! I may have started making my own whiskey lemonade now at home because I enjoyed this so much.

Australia

We were rather full at this point but we worked through it -

Lamington(Chocolate-Covered Butter Cake) & Rosemount Traminer Riesling
037tu.jpg

The cake was nicely done even if it had way too much coconut for me. (I like the taste of coconut but hate the texture of it) My husband enjoyed it too. The wine was on the sweeter side which worked well with the Cake.

France

Parisian Cosmo Slush
038ab.jpg

This is up against the Gray Goose Slushie as my favorite drink in Disney. its refreshing and just the right amount of booze!

At this point, I was feeling a good buzz & my husband was hot. We decided to head back to the resort. When we got there - the maid hadn't visited yet. We decided to go swim for the first time at the resort until we could get back into the room & decide what we were going to do for dinner.

Excellent reviews. Love the pics, also!

Black Pepper Shrimp w/ Sichuan Noodles .... looks sooo good, can't wait for DF and I to try it.

:thumbsup2The cosmo slushie looks really good, it's on my list for next month

Its awesome! I hope they keep it around for a couple months afterwards like they did last year as if I end up doing a winter trip I want it again.

Excellent reviews. Love the pics, also!

Black Pepper Shrimp w/ Sichuan Noodles .... looks sooo good, can't wait for DF and I to try it.

Thanks for joining along! It was a great dish :)

Jiko

When we returned the room, we noticed the room wasn't cleaned yet (despite it being 3pm) we decided to head to the pool for a bit since the pool at the Rock area of ASMo was practically empty. By the time we got back to the room we were tired and beat. There was no way we were going to head back into a park for dinner at Bistro, despite knowing how amazing it would be. We had the computer pull up what was available for dinner that evening & discovered that Jiko had available near the opening time that evening & we got ready for dinner.

We got there right on time & were immediately seated. We both got an alcoholic beverage - my husband some rum/oranage/cranberry drink & my self some kind of martini.
042puu.jpg

043vp.jpg

Both of them were tasty for our meal.

Our server came to talk to us about the menu (he seriously was the best server of the trip) & brought out the bread.

045up.jpg

I love the bread here! The flavor of the butter works so well with the honey wheat.

I decided to start with
Crispy Curried Beef
“Bobotie” Roll with Cucumber Raita, Green Mango Atjar, and Honey Roasted Groundnuts
046jf.jpg

The very first time I went to Jiko many years ago with my mother right after AKL opened, they had something really similiar to this as part of a sampler appetizer & I remember loving it back then. This new verision is just as good as I remember. Its rather heavy though & made me glad I didn't get a full entree this evening.

For my entree, I went with my personal standby -
Barbecue Chicken Flatbread with Apple-Jicama Slaw, African Barbecue Sauce, and Four Cheeses & Side of Mac & Cheese

050sn.jpg

051wr.jpg

I love both of these! I love the taste of the flatbread with the bbq chicken & slaw. I can never seem to finish it though.

My husband went with his personal standby.
Oak-grilled Filet Mignon with Macaroni & Cheese and Red Wine Sauce
049j.jpg

It was cooked exactly as he wanted & was very tender.

We were too full to have dessert at this time but the new dessert menu didn't seem to impress us this evening as nothing stood out as something we had to have.

I didn't know you could order a side of mac n cheese! I hate the way the red wine sauce gets all over it with the filet...I am so getting that next time I go to Jiko!

How long did it take to get your food at Jiko?

Also: that is GENIUS to order a flatbread and a side of mac & cheese!

I also loved the Cherry Colada but was really surprised it was served in a 4oz cup with no straw but rather they offered a spoon. I would have loved another one because it was so hot but $7.50 seemed excessive for a small cup. Your picture looks like the drinks served in a normal size cup but it could be the picture making it look bigger. Was yours also served in a small cup or was that due to the huge crowds the Sat. I was there?

amazing update, My husband LOVES Jiko but for our December trip I can't fit it to our schedule.
I didn't think we were going to end up here this trip either but I am glad we did, even if it took place of another meal we knew would have been amazing.

I didn't know you could order a side of mac n cheese! I hate the way the red wine sauce gets all over it with the filet...I am so getting that next time I go to Jiko!
Yup! Usually you can get sides of more side dishes served at restuarants. Its definately creamier than the one served with the filet but I like the way the red wine sauce and the mac work together when I've had the dish in the past.

How long did it take to get your food at Jiko?

Also: that is GENIUS to order a flatbread and a side of mac & cheese!
We were in and out of there in about an hour so we didn't have to wait too long at all.

Even a flatbread + a side was too much food for us that evening!

I also loved the Cherry Colada but was really surprised it was served in a 4oz cup with no straw but rather they offered a spoon. I would have loved another one because it was so hot but $7.50 seemed excessive for a small cup. Your picture looks like the drinks served in a normal size cup but it could be the picture making it look bigger. Was yours also served in a small cup or was that due to the huge crowds the Sat. I was there?
It was only a 4 oz cup. My picture was just a little too close. Yeah its overpriced but then again what isn't in Disney?

October 7th, 2010
Captain Cook's
Today was our 2nd Magic Kingdom day since we still had lots to get done in this park. Bored of my usual crossiant, I convinced my husband we were going to eat at the Polynesian before we got to Magic Kingdom for opening. He agreed as long as we did counter service. (Boo no Ohana or Kona for me :()

What did I get?
Tonga Toast w/ Bacon of course!

001ca.jpg

I've learned to just eat the insides of the toast as I want to make sure I actually get some banana in each bite. It was a nice switch from the usual breakfasts.

My husband well got the same thing he's been getting:
Bounty Platter
002vua.jpg

He said the food tasted fresher here than at All Stars & the potatoes were way better.​

October 7th, 2010
Liberty Tree Tavern
We spent the morning finishing up Magic Kingdom & checked in at Liberty Tree Tavern right at 11:30AM. We were quickly seated at a two top in the upper section on the right, decently quiet with not a lot of families around.

We went into this meal knowing exactly what we wanted.

For my meal, I had Tavern Fried Cheese

010sw.jpg

I love their Fried Cheese! Mozzarella Sticks & White Cheddar Bites. Its definitely a vacation treat to me as I don't have it at home much anymore. (It used to a treat we got at Chili's but last time we went to Chili's there was hair encrusted in my husband's burger - we aren't eating there again)

My husband went with the Burger w/ Bacon & Cheddar

009gt.jpg

008sq.jpg

He loved his burger! I think he ate the whole thing.

For dessert, we split their signature dessert, Ooeey Gooey Toffee Cake
012xq.jpg

I didn't enjoy it this time as much as I have in the past. The toffee cake wasn't warm like it was in the past which took away from the experience some. We still managed to eat the whole thing between the two of us though. :rolleyes1

Citricos

This evening we had dining reservations right at opening for Citricos. We were immediately seated next to the window overlooking the pool. We were seated right next to a woman that seemed to care more about talking on her cell phone than talk to her daughters that were trying desperately for her attention that even my husband noticed & felt bad for the girls.

Our server came to us to get our drink order and discuss the menu. My husband ended up going with the server's current favorite on the menu.

We were given some olive bread & multigrain bread w/ butter.
001gea.jpg

We decided to start w/ splitting an appetizer:​
[FONT=Century Gothic,Bold][FONT=Century Gothic,Bold]Sautéed Shrimp [/FONT][/FONT]Lemon, White Wine, Tomatoes, and Feta 14.00
002hqx.jpg

We had mentioned we were going to split it & they actually divided the portion for the two of us so imagine that as double that for a normal portion.

We dipped some of the bread in the lemon, white wine, butter sauce & loved it together! The manager visited our table and suggested we tried that and we are so glad we did!

For entrees, my husband went with
[FONT=Century Gothic,Bold][FONT=Century Gothic,Bold]Roast Chicken Breast [/FONT][/FONT]Tanglewood Farms Chicken and Pappardelle Pasta
003ug.jpg

He loved it! He cleared the plate save the one bit I got to try. The sauce was amazing with the chicken.

For my meal, I decided to go with two of the other appetizers that I wanted to try.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Bold][FONT=Century Gothic,Bold]Duck Confit [/FONT][/FONT]Mascarpone and Ricotta Cheese Ravioli with Tomato-Basil Water
004ty.jpg

So very good! The duck was cooked just right & wasn't fatty. The ravoli was fresh tasting and great with a bit of the duck.

& for the 2nd part of my entree I had
[FONT=Century Gothic,Bold][FONT=Century Gothic,Bold]Gâteau of Crab [/FONT][/FONT]Lump Crab, Orange-Fennel Cream, and Tomato-Fennel Slaw
006mm.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of crab cakes but to me this isn't really a crab cake. There is a ton of crab that tastes amazing with the cream sauce. Its very rich though and there was no way I could finish it having had the other dishes.

This evening we skipped dessert as we had sweets in our room that needed to be taken care of.

We loved Citricos! It continues to be one of favorite places even if we do skip it more times than we should.

Love, love, loved our meal at Citricos last trip. DS had that chicken and wanted to lick the plate the sauce was so good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter