“Bubble” - licious – A Northern Family's Disney Tale! UPDATED 8/27/09 (LAST CHAPTER)!

Northern Disney Girl

DIS Veteran
“Bubble” - licious – A Northern Family's Disney Tale!

Hello! Welcome to my long awaited Trip Report! It has taken me a very long time to organize myself and actually start this trip report! I am so glad that you have dropped by to read about my family's adventure in Disney World!

Before I get started with all the wonderful details, let me give you just a bit of background information.....

Cast of Characters:

Me (Kimberly): I am a SAHM of two beautiful girls and wife to one amazing husband! I am only slightly obsessed with Disney! This was my 4th trip to the World! The other 3 trips happened during my teenage years!

DH(Ken) My wonderful Knight in Shining armour! A computer geek with the Federal Government by day, writer, actor, director, runner and father/husband extrordinare by night! Loves Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, and is a thrill ride junkie! This is his first trip to WDW!

horton178.jpg

DD 8(Emily) My first born! Beautiful, intelligent, sweet and so very thoughtful! She loves to read, draw, do crafts and is the best big sister I have ever had the fortune to know! She loves Star Wars, Narnia and Pirates of the Caribbean! This was her first trip to WDW!

DSC01457.jpg

DD 5 (Natalie) My baby! Sweet, kind and the most generous little girl I have ever known! She loves to draw, paint, read and bake with Mommy! She loves Disney Princesses, Winnie the Pooh and Minnie Mouse! This was her first trip to WDW!
DSC01449.jpg

Trip Details:

Dates: The entire length of our trip was from January 18th – January 30th ! 10 days of those were spent at WDW! More about that later!

Where: We actually stayed at 3 different resorts! All Star Sports, Wilderness Lodge, and Pop Century! Again more about that later!

Well, I think that about covers everything you need to know about the background details of our trip! Now......on with the Trip Report!

For me, it's even more fun when you have a loved one with you who hasn't even been to WDW. You have THREE beloved people to share the World with. How fun! I can't wait to hear more about it.:yay:

Chapter 1: The Day before Disney or We are on our way...FINALLY!

Date: January 18th, 2009
Time: 630am
Place: Northern Ontario, Canada

Ken and I woke up to the sweet sounds of our favourite radio station and quickly climbed out of bed! We showered and dressed and finished the last minute details. Ken loaded up the car while I gave my sister a quick call to say farewell! (Her children are VERY early risers)

The girls woke themselves up at 7am, were dressed and ready to go by 715! As we are getting ready to head out the door, I suddenly realize that the girls have no shoes to wear! How I missed this detail, I have no idea! Their outdoor runners were all too small! Luckily, they had brought home their indoor shoes from school! I told them to wear those and that we would buy new shoes when we got to Minneapolis and the Mall of America!

Problem solved, we were out the door and in the car at 7:27am! Down the street and around the corner we go to the nearest Tim Horton's to get some coffee and breakfast for the road! Coffee and breakfast sandwiches for me and Ken and chocolate chip muffins for the girls! MMMMM, yummy!

P1050461.jpg

Breakfast and coffee out of the way, we are ready to hit the highway! It was now, 7:46am and we are really on our way! The girls were so excited! They were watching out their windows and calling out all their favourite sights!

“Mommy, look, there's our grocery store!”
“Daddy, there's our McDonald's”
“Mommy, Daddy, look, there's our Airport!”

And on it went for about 10 minutes until we finally got away from the city! Once we were out of the city, it was all white and beautiful as we passed by the rural farm area as we headed south to the American border!

Natalie, as expressive as always, gushed as we passed by a particularly smelly dairy farm,,,,”That poo smell makes me think of elephants, and that makes me think of Dumbo! Mommy, I have been waiting for sooo long to ride the Dumbo ride an finally I am going to ride it! Oh Mommy, I am so excited! “ Fighting back the tears, I said “ yes, Nat only 2 more sleeps until you get to ride Dumbo!”

Silly Me! I forgot to retrieve the camera from the trunk of the car until after we crossed the border!

The border crossing went very well, and very quickly thanks to our lovely new passports! We reached the US border at exactly 825am EST(CST)! We are making great time so far! We went to the border store to fill up our tank with gas and buy my wonderful caffeine addicted husband another Extra large coffee! I think we must have been the first customers of the day because when I asked about buying a coffee, the clerk said I could have some for free! Cool! Gas tank filled, bladders empty and happy hubby with more coffee, we are ready and back on the road by 740am (CST).
DSC01782.jpg

DSC01781.jpg

DSC01780-1.jpg

The girls, having already finished their muffins, and still claiming hunger, open their snack bags at approximately 8am (CST). I had packed a wide variety of treats for them to snack on as we drove to Minneapolis. Boxes of raisins, fruit snacks, granola bars, trail mix, cereal bars, dried fruit and of course, GUM! They were quite happy to munch away and help Daddy look out for deer!
DSC01778.jpg

Ah, Yes, Deer! Along the highways in Northern Ontario and subsequently Northern Minnesota, it is imperative to keep one's eyes wide open for large four legged animals with hooves! Deer and Moose are quite abundant in this part of the world and can be quite oblivious to fast moving vehicles at times! We did have to brake once for a crossing of 3 does who I assume were just out for an early morning meal!

Shortly after 8am, the girls start peeling off their layers! Now let me explain a bit! Leaving behind a very cold climate to head into a much warmer one can be a mite bit tricky! When we left our city that morning, the temperature was -17 degrees celcius! For you folks who measure in Farenheit, that is a big Fat 0! That is not including any wind that might be a blowin'! So, anyway, we had the girls dressed in the following: Fleece pants on the bottom with long sleeved shirt under a fleece sweater under their fleece lined vests! Topped off with hats and gloves, they were warm as toast in the car! After about an hour or so they began to feel a teensy bit too hot! So off come the hat and mitts and vests!

Now, at about 845am, the weather began to get a bit interesting! It started snowing! HARD! This made things a bit interesting to say the least! Something I noticed about drivers in the U.S. - not a whole lot of the vehicles passing us on the other side of the highway had their lights on! That shocked me! Here it is, not even 9am, on a dark and snowy morning and these cars are driving without lights on! I find that to be very dangerous! In Ontario, that is a chargeable offense! It is considered to be dangerous and hazardous driving to drive in poor weather conditions without lights! Needless to say I was a tad bit nervous!

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

We made it to Duluth, MN at exactly 10:20am. We were exactly on schedule! Even with a snowstorm hounding us! We pulled in to the first halfway decent fast food place we found, which just happened to be my fave – WENDY's! I just lurve me some Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad! Unfortunately, it being not quite 1030 yet, the place was not yet open for business! No Problem! The parking lot was empty and our legs were definitely due for a bit of a stretch! Out from the car we jumped and did laps around the parking lot until we saw a bemused employee unlocking the doors to let us in! Following the yummy smells inside the restaurant, we placed our orders, used the restrooms and found some tables onto which we placed our food!

Not quite ready to sit down again just yet, Ken and I ate standing while the girls enjoyed their twirly chairs! Ken had the most meat he could get between two buns and a salad! I had my fave aforementioned salad and the girls mowed through their chicken tenders and fries, washed down by lemonade! Lunch break finished, we headed back to our car, buckled in and headed....across the street to Dunn Bros. to get some of the best coffee I have ever tasted! Stopping here on every Duluth trip is an absolute must do!

So, our bellies full, bladders empty and once again, Daddy happy with his coffee, we once again set off. This time to travel the remaining 2.5 hrs to Minneapolis! I have to tell you, my husband has quite the eclectic taste in music! On this particular segment of our voyage, we were listening to the soundtrack to Disney's The Pirates of the Caribbean – The Curse of the Black Pearl! Earlier in the day, we had listened to Matrix – Reloaded, Rammstien, some Nova Scotian sea Shanty's and some of the soundtrack from Lord of the Rings!
The girls, being warm and full, decided that it would be a good time to have a wee siesta! They both conked out about 20 minutes outside of Duluth and slept practically the rest of the way to Minneapolis! I believe I too had a bit of a nap! By now the snow has cleared and the sun was shining! Driving conditions much improved, no deer in sight and his fave tunes playing on the radio, my hubby was indeed a happy man!
DSC01795.jpg

The rest of the drive to Minneapolis was quite uneventful! We had been given some excellent directions from Ken's parents on how to find our way to our hotel and we were quite confident we could get there with little difficulty! The one thing we had kind of forgotten about was our gas tank! Just as we were about to head into the middle of the city, I happened to take a glance at our fuel gauge, it was almost empty!!!! We both watched with bated breath as we frantically searched for a gas station along the freeway! Finally found one, filled up the tank with gas and then proceeded to get almost lost as we then searched for our hotel! We found it indeed! We all heaved a collective sigh and pronounced the first part of our journey to be successful!

We had chosen the Park Plaza in Bloomington on the recommendation of my InLaws who fly out of the states quite often. A nice hotel, great rate and a fine spot to park our car while we fly to warmer conditions! We checked in, found our room, did the basic necessities of unpacking and then headed off to somewhere none of us had ever been before! The Mall of America!
DSC01796.jpg

We had missed the 230pm shuttle from the hotel so we decided to drive over! We found our way quite well and parked in “Indiana” (for those of you who have never been to MOA - the parking building is HUGE! All the different sections of said building are named after one of the states!) We found our way inside and immediately took care of the first order of business! SHOES! Remember, the girls were wearing their indoor school shoes! So we found the nearest Payless shoe store and took care of business! Emily found a great pair of blue and white Tinkerbelle shoes and Natalie found herself some pink and white butterfly runners! A perfect match for each girl!

Next, we found our way to the Disney store so that I could exchange some of the girls' Christmas money into Disney Dollars! It was a wee bit tricky to remove ourselves from that store as there was a very tempting 70% off sale happening at that very moment! Extract ourselves we did though and went in search of the next important thing! FOOD! We had already decided that we wanted to give BubbaGump Shrimp Co. a try! Shrimp all around, a beer for Dad and a Pina Colada for Momsy! After a lovely meal, we decided to spend the last of our remaining minutes at MOA at the LEGO store! Fun was had by all as we played and built and raced our little lego cars all over the ramps! Too soon though the closing call was made and we had to head back to our hotel! We weren't too sad though, as we knew that in a few short hours we would be on a plane headed to none other than.....Walt Disney World!

We made it back to the hotel without any further complications and got everybody and everything ready for our departure early the next morning! As I was setting out the girls' clothing for the next morning, I realized that I was beginning to feel a little itchy and twitchy! Did I forget to mention that I have a slight allergy...to seafood? Yup! It isn't normally a problem. I can usually eat shrimp without complication. This night however, my body decided that it was not going to comply with vacation rules! Within 15 minutes, I was covered in hives from head to toe! No antihistamines in sight! The hives looked horrible but actually the itching wasn't too bad. I figured I could handle it without drugs! I proceeded to take a cool bath, slather myself in as much lotion as my skin could absorb and drink as much water as my bladder could hold! It worked, sort of! The itching stopped. The hives did not go away! I soon realized that sleep was near impossible!

I tossed and turned and turned and tossed and finally managed to fall asleep around 1230am! We had crawled into bed at 9pm! Our wake up call was at 330am! I had a grand total of 3 hrs of sleep! I was a wee bit tired, but not itchy! Check. Yup, hives still there!
I reminded my self that today was the day for which I had been waiting so many years and to stop pouting and darn it, be happy! It worked! The happiness and excitement won over and I was ready to go!

Chapter 2 : Off to see Mickey OR how we got to Disney!

Place: Bloomington, Minnesota
Time: 330am
Date: January 19th 2009

The wake up phone call came at exactly the same time as the radio turned on and my watch alarm went off! No sirree, there was no way we were going to miss our flight! All family members awake and accounted for, we began our hasty departure to the downstairs lobby to await our 4am shuttle to MSP! The bus pulled up at exactly 350am, loaded people first and luggage second and we were on the road at exactly 4am! In precisely 25 minutes we were pulling up to the airport check in at Northwest Airlines!

All 4 family members, 4 carry on bags and 4 checked bags accounted for, we head in to get checked in for our 720am flight! The line went quickly, bag check went smoothly and we were on our way to security! I was a bit nervous about the whole taking off of the shoes thing because in Canada we don't have to do that but it was all good! Next item of business, find out where our departure gate was located! The girls were thrilled to pieces with the moving sidewalks and insisted on standing (not walking) the whole way! We were all getting a mite bit peckish round about this time as it was nearing 6am and we hadn't had a bite to eat in nearly 12 hrs! Imagine our joy when we simultaneously found our gate AND a McDonald's! And they were right next to each other! Such Bliss! We ordered some breakfast and sat down to munch!
DSC01799.jpg

DSC01800.jpg

After consuming our wonderful breakfast, I sent Ken to find us some coffee and I went in search of some hive killers! I had noticed an open newsstand and fervently hoped that there I might find some relief from those pesky spots! Success! 1 Claratin for 2.99? I didn't care! I bought it along with some Orange juice and a water and went back to find my family! I found them at our gate along with about 200 other people waiting to wing their way south to sunny Florida! I sat down and my dear sweet husband handed me mandatory morning java! An extra large double double! Mmmmmmm! The girls were keeping themselves busy with Daddy's PDA, playing some sort of games that he had installed just for this trip! I sipped at my coffee and people watched! There were at least 20 other families with smallish type children assumedly on their way to Walt's World as well!
DSC01805.jpg

Our flight boarded right on time, we found our seats and settled in for our 3 hour flight to sunny Orlando, Florida! Coming up to this point, Natalie had been a bit nervous about flying! She had flown before but didn't remember as she was not quite 2 on her last plane ride! I was a bit worried about how she would do, but she surprised me! I gave her lots of cuddles and GUM and she did really fine! She has what we call a nervous bladder! Whenever she feels uncomfortable with any given situation, she suddenly has a desperate need to visit the nearest washroom! She doesnt necessarily need to USE said washroom, she just needs to check it out! Kind of her own little escape technique! Well, on this trip I expected to be up and down to the washroom at least every 10 minutes! She only had to go 3x and of those 3 times, she actually USED the toilet twice!
DSC01808.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

Another bag of snacks and a bag each of toys games books and GUM helped to pass the time rather quickly and before we knew it, the Captain was announcing that we were about to land in Orlando! Woohoo! Landing was fine, and we were actually early! I was ready! I knew what to do! I had studied the maps and I knew where to go and exactly how long it would take to get there! Magical Express here I come......or do I?
DSC01813.jpg

I was so excited! We were finally here! Walt Disney World! We just had to make our way down the escalator, around the corner and check in at the ME desk, right? Well, we found the escalator no problem, but just as I am about to lead my family down the stairs to our awaiting chariot, my dear husbands exclaims....”Shoot, Emily's camera isn't here!”
“Well, where is it then, dear?” I replied. Ken's face turned a sickly shade of green as he forced the words out his mouth.”In the seat pocket on the plane!” I can't be sure because I wasn't able to see my own face, but I believe I turned 3 different shades of red just then! This could not be happening! This was definitely NOT part of the plan! I was in a near state of panic! What do we do? Keep going or go back for the camera? I looked at my daughter's face and I knew we couldn't leave the camera behind!

So off we were to find the nearest help desk! We were quickly pointed in the direction of Northwest baggage assistance office! We all trooped inside and explained our situation to the clerk. She called the gate to see if someone could check if the camera was indeed still there! It was! Hooray! Unfortunately, however, they were understaffed at the moment and nobody would be able to bring it to us. So, one of us would have to go and fetch it from our arrival gate! Me being the more directionally proficient of the two of us was deemed the camera fetcher. I was given a gate pass and we all trooped back to security. I left all my stuff with Ken and the girls and proceeded to make my way back through security onto the light rail back to our arrival gate, grab the camera, back onto the lightrail and back down to where I had left my family! The whole process took exactly 8 minutes! We had only lost 15 mins!

So camera securely tucked into MY carry on bag, we headed down the escalator and around the corner to the Magical Express desk! Papers in hand, I pointed out to my family where they could wait for me and proceeded to enter the line! It went quickly and soon enough we were headed to the “Red Carpet”. We only waited about 10 minutes before we were being loaded onto our bus! By this point I was nearly shaking with excitement and anticipation, the rest of my family clueless as to why Mommy was so excited about riding a bus!
DSC01814.jpg

DSC01815.jpg

We boarded the bus, found some seats and prepared to be whisked away to our first resort – All Star Sports. The bus driver said it would be about 35 minutes until we arrived and he was absolutely correct. It was exactly 35 minutes from the time we started moving until we pulled up to the front door of the AS Sports!

DSC01817.jpg

DSC01818.jpg

Hey! Welcome! Thanks for reading! Where are you from? We are in Thunder Bay! :goodvibes

we're from timmins! :)
that's actually kinda cool that you come from thunder bay, one of my friends came from there!! she's new at our school, and that's where she came from!

sorry, im just so amazed by it :laughing:

Hey I found it!! I'm excited to read all about your trip! I especially enjoyed the part about Mall of America - it's so familiar, I could picture you at Lego land!

You have a lovely family and I can't wait to read more about your trip.

Hey I found it!! I'm excited to read all about your trip! I especially enjoyed the part about Mall of America - it's so familiar, I could picture you at Lego land!

Hey Snowbirds! :goodvibes Thanks for joining in! :thumbsup2 I am so pumped to finally be doing this! IT is really helping me get through the "I'm not going to Disney for a very long time" blues! :sad1: I already have chapters 3,4 and 5 witten! Just have to upload some pictures to photobucket! Please hang in there with me! I will do my best to do at least a couple chapters a week! :surfweb:

Oh, I am so excited to be reading about your trip:) I feel as tho I am along with you...thanks for sharing:)

Chapter 3: We've finally arrived!
Place: Disney's All Star Sports Resorts
Time: 1:00pm
Date: January 19th.....

Having regained my composure, I told the rest of my family to follow me and we quickly made our way inside to the check in desk! There was already a bit of a line up so I secured my place in line after showing the rest of my crew to the nice comfy benches for their waiting enjoyment.
DSC01821.jpg

DSC01822.jpg

The line went fairly quickly and I was very soon being ushered to the next available CM. Budda bing budda boom and yadda yadda yadda we were checked in, given all necessary paper work and a map to show me the correct way to our room! I found my bored and antsy family, collected our carry on bags and we were off to find our room! We had been given a room in the Football section. Room 230, building number 10! No too far away from the main building. That really didn't matter to us we were only staying the one night! We found our room and before everyone could trample in and mess it up, I asked for 2 minutes to take a couple of pictures while it was still tidy! I opened the door and stepped inside and this is what I saw.....
DSC01824.jpg

DSC01825.jpg

DSC01826.jpg

DSC01827.jpg

The crew was getting a bit restless so I let them in and we settled in a bit. The girls were super excited to see the Mickey Heads on the bed and wanted to have their picture taken with it right away!
DSC01829.jpg

After getting cleaned up a bit and changing our clothes, we headed out in search of food! It was now getting close to 2pm and the last solid meal we had eaten was at the McDonalds at MSP nearly 8hrs before! We were feeling a mite bit peckish! We did have a 5pm ADR @ T-Rex but didn't think it wise to starve ourselves until then! We found the food court and took a look around. We paid out of pocket for a large pizza and a fruit bowl.
DSC01830.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

After filling our bellies, we decided that it was time rest a bit! Having been awake since 330am, my body was ready for a wee rest. My poor husband was looking like something akin to a zombie and the kids were practically falling asleep on their feet! We trooped back to our room, closed the curtains, shut off the lights and all fell into a deep sleep. Well, all but me, that is! Try as I might I could not fall asleep! Too excited I guess. So I just lay there listening to the sweet sounds of sleeping from the rest of my family. At 345pm, I woke them all up and we prepared ourselves to go to Downtown Disney!
DSC01832.jpg

aw! i love the picture of your DD in the 'O' she reminds me so much of my cousin!:)

and, how many hours were you guys all awake?!

aw! i love the picture of your DD in the 'O' she reminds me so much of my cousin!:)

and, how many hours were you guys all awake?!

It was too funny! We told them to "strike a pose" and that is what they did! :lmao: I think that if she had a book, Em would have gladly curled up in that "O" for a good long read! She was very comfy! :cutie:

We were up at 3:30am to catch the shuttle from the airport! Ken and the girls had a brief nap from about 230pm until 345pm. I didn't sleep! We were in bed by about 930 that night! It was a very long day! 18 hrs on about 3 hrs of sleep! :faint:

Hey Kim! I made it! I'm loving your TR. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks Meghan! :hug: I am enjoying yours too! I am excited to hear all about the plans for your upcoming trip too! :thumbsup2

Keep hangin' out! It's going to be really fun! I have some really good chapters coming up really soon! :goodvibes

I hope you don't mind but I like to respond one chapter at a time since you had so much stuff going on during your adventure! First of all, I am really impressed. You obviously planned this trip out and stayed right on time despite a blizzard and an allergic reaction to shrimp. Great attitude btw! I used to get hives when I was younger and they're no fun. I think your girls are adorable and loved the photos of the blizzard. Although I'm in Texas now, I grew up in Michigan and I love the snow. On to chapter two!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter