You're in a car park, a hitchhiker approaches you asking to take them to the place you are going to , do you take them?

NO!

this is based on an interview i saw when i was a kid of a notorious northern california serial killer whose killings involved the then common and popular trend of hitchhiking. he said that when someone invites you into their car or you ask to go into someone's car it's an invitation to enter and become a participant in the other person's 'world', and that his own 'world' involved torturing and killing people so :scared1::scared1::scared1: i don't get into stranger's cars/they do not get into mine.

That would be a hard and immediate no from me. I have only been approached for "bus fare" in parking lots which is most likely a scam. If I have cash I usually give it if someone asks. In my area transportation is readily available so if they truly need transportation or food they can get it. Lately I have been more way of people approaching me and worry they might try and rob me when I pull out my wallet, though. I live in a suburb near Baltimore and crime is on the rise all over, including on and near the campus where I work. I move quickly to my vehicle. I hate feeling this way.

NO!

this is based on an interview i saw when i was a kid of a notorious northern california serial killer whose killings involved the then common and popular trend of hitchhiking. he said that when someone invites you into their car or you ask to go into someone's car it's an invitation to enter and become a participant in the other person's 'world', and that his own 'world' involved torturing and killing people so :scared1::scared1::scared1: i don't get into stranger's cars/they do not get into mine.
When I was younger my car broke down on the highway in the rain. A man stopped and asked if I wanted a lift and I got into his car. I want to go back 30 years and slap myself. I cannot tell you how I cringe at that. He drove me directly to work, though. I was lucky. That was before cell phones. My boss read me the riot act and I never did it again.

I have in the past given a stranger a lift, long time back.
But nowadays that would be a No.

My daughter in princess dresses knows the answer to this, but we live in the city. And we're not really sure what a car park is.

Honest answer? I really don't know. It would depend on the exact circumstances. I've never been put in that situation. I have seen people out walking on dangerously cold winter days and stopped to offer them rides (always women, or women with kids), but I've never been approached by anybody asking for one. It is exceedingly rare to ever see anybody out thumbing it on the side of the highway anymore. I've never stopped for anybody in that scenario.

Last edited:

I have given and received a couple of rides in the past. But it just doesn't seem necessary enough in this day and age to be worth the risk. I would gladly call (and pay for, if needed) an Uber for them. Or let them use my phone to call a friend. Or give them bus fare. But especially in my current city, with both high violent crime rates and incredibly accessible transportation options, giving a stranger a ride doesn't seem like the right choice.

Yeah, parking lot. The folks in the UK aren't weird like those of us in the US. They don't park on the driveway and drive on the parkway like we do :rotfl2:

If you live in a heavily populated area you do more driving on the drive way vs the parkway :rotfl2: :car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car::car:

My husband used to give hitchhikers a ride all the time when we were first married. Those were innocent times and everyone picked up hitchhikers. This is in the late 60's. He said he always used to give them a ride, until bad things started happening and being reported in the news. We didn't have instant news like it is now. It used to make me nervous when he did this, so he stopped.

I hitchhiked one time with a group of teenage girls. We had gone for a long walk and went through several farmers fields and ended up pretty far from home somehow. So, we decided to hitchhike. We made sure that we only rode with an older grandfatherly man who gave us a ride to our subdivision, no problems.
When I look back on that innocent time, I cringe because a grandfatherly man could be a murderer!

No, I don't want to get murdered.

When I was on my summer abroad in France, I was walking from my friends' dorm back to my dorm with another girl late one night and a car of young men stopped and offered us a ride. The girl I was with told me she had a switchblade and mace on her and we did get in the car. Stupid! But they did just drop us off and we never saw them again.

No . I remember my Grandfather, ( who had been a long haul truck driver ) telling me to never pickup a hitchhiker . This was back in the 1970s. My Parents and the rest of my Grandparents said the same thing, but for some reason his warning stood out the most.

No. My dad‘s rule for providing me with a car was to never pick up a hitchhiker. I have broken that rule twice, only once with his car. Once I took an older woman, one of two, whose car had broken down to the nearest gas station. This was before cell phones. Turns out her nephew was the author of a popular book. The second time was in NZ while visiting wineries. DH, DD and I ran into a young woman at the second winery we had all visited. She was walking with multiple bottles of wine and we had a car. We took her to lunch with us and dropped her at the bus stop. She was a Russian banker on a required absence from work. We enjoyed her company. But I normally won’t give rides.

Hell to the No.

But I was a hitchhiker once. My car suddenly died on the freeway and I was able to drift to the shoulder. I was a half a mile from the nearest exit and a guy was on the shoulder. I asked if I could use his cell phone (this was in the late 1990s, I didn't have one yet) but he said it was a work phone so I couldn't. So, off I went walking. After a few steps, he came by and asked if I wanted a ride. I was like, nah. But he showed me his badge (forgot what it was for) so I was like, well, I guess so. He took me to the exit and the nearest McDonald's where I called my parents.

Thinking about that though, even though traffic was going pretty slowly (20 mph, we were in rush hour traffic), I probably shouldn't have done that. Cuz I could have walked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter