Yet another DAS question

smallworldnh

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering if I try to get a DAS for my 87 year old mom. She can walk short distances, she will be in a wheelchair most of the time and can get up to get into a ride vehicle if the walkway isn't moving or if there is no steep step up or step downs, as long as she can stay in her chair in the queue. We had no intention of getting a DAS, but after reading some threads about the heat (going October 3) and having to queue in the hot sun because of distancing, I wonder if it would be worth it to try. She is fine in a covered area, but gets sick in direct sunlight. What do you all think the chances of qualifying are? thank you!

The OP of this thread had a successful trip with DAS. I just recommend having a back-up plan as well just in case -- protective clothing, hat, time of day, etc.
I would try for using both. Additionally, I wonder if the OP has considered how hard it will be on their party to physically push a wheelchair, especially in the heat.

I don't know if their mom could handle an ECV, but if she could, that might be a better route to go for everyone's sanity and if they rent from Gold Mobility, there is a fan on most models, which helps a lot more than most people think it will. A little tip is to use it while in air conditioned buildings for a bit after entering, it makes it almost feel like you have your own personal air conditioner. If not using an ECV, there are plenty of personal fans out there, I just recommend getting one that is rechargeable rather than needing to constantly change batteries.

IIRC the OP has pushed her mom in a wheelchair at WDW previously and knows what to expect. An ECV is not always the best option.
I suggested considering (not saying to do it, just consider) an ECV because I never saw anything in the first post that says they have experience pushing a wheelchair at WDW.

And it looks like even if they do, they don't normally do so in the heat. And there is a big difference between pushing a wheelchair in comfortable weather and the heat.

Again, I did not say they should or shouldn't use an ECV, I just asked if they considered it given how hard pushing a chair through the parks is, especially in the heat.

I also think it important to mention it for others that may have similar situations, so they can consider it as well, basically, the more you know, the better, right?

I would try for using both. Additionally, I wonder if the OP has considered how hard it will be on their party to physically push a wheelchair, especially in the heat.

I don't know if their mom could handle an ECV, but if she could, that might be a better route to go for everyone's sanity and if they rent from Gold Mobility, there is a fan on most models, which helps a lot more than most people think it will. A little tip is to use it while in air conditioned buildings for a bit after entering, it makes it almost feel like you have your own personal air conditioner. If not using an ECV, there are plenty of personal fans out there, I just recommend getting one that is rechargeable rather than needing to constantly change batteries.
Unfortunately, she will absolutely not try and ECV. She's afraid of them, so a wheelchair it is. Luckily, my son and his wife will be joining us so we'll take turns with the pushing! I did buy the cooling towels and the neck fan and will be ordering a clip on umbrella type thing. Thank you though.

IIRC the OP has pushed her mom in a wheelchair at WDW previously and knows what to expect. An ECV is not always the best option.
So my mom has not been to WDW in many years, she's been once in her forties and it's on her bucket list to go one more time! She suffers from mild congestive heart failure but it's under control and she's doing really well. I'm just worried about standing in the sun for a long time. Otherwise we'd be fine. I read the post that you supplied a link to and it was very informative! Thank you all very much for the ideas. I guess we'll go for the DAS, see what happens, and use it if necessary! :)

I have seen older folks in wheelchairs using umbrellas for shade. Dehydration is a huge concern for someone that age. They do not do well with making sure that they drink enough. I have seen many older people being taken out by the EMTs. Maybe taking a break in the hottest part of the day, packing a cooler bag with frozen water and cold wet washcloths, etc. Swim rash guards are also great to wear. Many do not look like swimwear, but are lightweight and have some SPF protection. I would like to say that I am confident that you will get a DAS, but there is a possibility that they say that she does not qualify. Can you imagine if all seniors got a DAS just because they are older and can not handle the heat as well as they used to.

I have seen older folks in wheelchairs using umbrellas for shade. Dehydration is a huge concern for someone that age. They do not do well with making sure that they drink enough. I have seen many older people being taken out by the EMTs. Maybe taking a break in the hottest part of the day, packing a cooler bag with frozen water and cold wet washcloths, etc. Swim rash guards are also great to wear. Many do not look like swimwear, but are lightweight and have some SPF protection. I would like to say that I am confident that you will get a DAS, but there is a possibility that they say that she does not qualify. Can you imagine if all seniors got a DAS just because they are older and can not handle the heat as well as they used to.
The reminder to stay hydrated really should be for every single person. Not only does the heat cause dehydration, but even when using a mobility device, you are likely more active in the theme parks than you normally are, which can result in further dehydration if you aren't careful.

As for the DAS, it really wouldn't matter much if every single person over 80 got one, heck I think if you can show an ID that you are over 80, you should get immediate front of the line access and again it really wouldn't impact lines much at all.

The reminder to stay hydrated really should be for every single person. Not only does the heat cause dehydration, but even when using a mobility device, you are likely more active in the theme parks than you normally are, which can result in further dehydration if you aren't careful.

As for the DAS, it really wouldn't matter much if every single person over 80 got one, heck I think if you can show an ID that you are over 80, you should get immediate front of the line access and again it really wouldn't impact lines much at all.

It might not impact the line that much, but then it would open a can of worms. All seniors get a DAS, how about those with babies, arthritis, etc, etc, etc. There has to be a line.

It might not impact the line that much, but then it would open a can of worms. All seniors get a DAS, how about those with babies, arthritis, etc, etc, etc. There has to be a line.
Yeah, in my example, 80 and older is the line and obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to do that .....but the reality is it is based on needs, so it is up to the person and the to figure out the best accommodation. Not for us to judge one way to the other.

Yeah, in my example, 80 and older is the line and obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to do that .....but the reality is it is based on needs, so it is up to the person and the to figure out the best accommodation. Not for us to judge one way to the other.

What in my original post was judgemental? And as far as the dehydration issue. It is MUCH worse for older people then younger. An older person that gets dehydrated can have their system shut down very quickly and that can be something that they may not recover from. It is even more imperative for those that age to be extra vigilant in those conditions.

What in my original post was judgemental? And as far as the dehydration issue. It is MUCH worse for older people then younger. An older person that gets dehydrated can have their system shut down very quickly and that can be something that they may not recover from. It is even more imperative for those that age to be extra vigilant in those conditions.
Sorry, I was t meaning that towards you, I was seeing another poster at the time that was being judgmental, I finally blocked them. That was my fault, I was mixing up posts.

But you are right, it is indeed even more important for those that are older to stay hydrated, but I figure it should also be a good reminder for all of us, as we forget that being more active requires more hydration. I know I have been guilty of that.

It never hurts to ask, but as someone with significant issues with heat sensitivity, the DAS itself isn't a huge help in that area. Sounds like distancing is starting to let up a bit, but during our April trip the lines moved pretty quickly so even those in the sun weren't too bad. One of the longest outdoor lines was TSM as it wrapped around to a whole other area, but it was almost a constant slow movement so it didn't feel like we were just standing there baking in the sun. Definitely make sure to have some cooling towels, a neck fan (or one that maybe attaches to the wheelchair) and a cold drink just in case. With no FP+ currently and only one DAS at time we spent more time in line than usual for us on our most recent trip.

And, unusual things can happen - for example, yesterday Animal Kingdom had a power outage. The boat ride in Pandora went from a 20 minute wait to 65 minutes. People in line when the power flicked off had to decide whether to stay in the line and wait or leave. And those already in the attraction were trapped there until things started up.

Giving one group of people front of line access based on age is not legal ..in theory it sounds nice, but can you imagine the cascade of demands for front of line for the very young, cancer survivors. What about disabled vets? I could make a list several pages long of people that would be kind to give them front of line access.

Giving one group of people front of line access based on age is not legal ..in theory it sounds nice, but can you imagine the cascade of demands for front of line for the very young, cancer survivors. What about disabled vets? I could make a list several pages long of people that would be kind to give them front of line access.
I doubt it’s illegal, but it doesn’t make good business sense.

If Disney wanted to give FOTL based on age to an age group, there is nothing illegal about that. They are a private company and if they wanted to give a perk to a certain age group, they can. It doesn't necessarily have to be a disability access.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter