Would you trust a factory refurbished camera?

peteykirch

DIS Veteran
I saw a great deal for a Nikon Factory refurbished D7000, and I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

I know that with a company like Apple, their factory refurbished items are pretty much the same as buying it off the shelf, and are in tip top quality.

Just for the numbers factor, the cost of the refurbished D7000 is 650, while a brand new one is 896.

I saw a great deal for a Nikon Factory refurbished D7000, and I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

I know that with a company like Apple, their factory refurbished items are pretty much the same as buying it off the shelf, and are in tip top quality.

Just for the numbers factor, the cost of the refurbished D7000 is 650, while a brand new one is 896.

I have purchased many factory refurbs from cameras to TV's to computers. I have yet to have a bad experience.

I just purchased the T4i from Canon during their refurbishment sale. I would never have known that it was not brand new. Hooked it up to EOScount to check the number of shutter clicks, there was 29.

Totally satisfied!!!!

I have bought two cameras from Canon's refurb. I havent had any issues with either...love them!

I've just bought myself a refurbished sony nex 6 with 16-50 and 55-210 lenses from the sony outlet website here in the UK.

It arrived today and it's everything I would want from a refurbished camera - no significant marks, etc, everything was included in the box and most importantly, it cost me about £250 less than buying it brand new :thumbsup2

I have purchased 4 refurbished Nikon p&s's. No problems. They all came with a 1year warranty and looked new. No marks on any of them.
Edited to say these were all refurbished by Nikon.

I've purchased a few P&S and bridge cameras as factory refurbs over the years. They all came with a full one year warranty and had no issues. My brother purchased a Nikon DSLR refurb 2 years ago and again, no issues. I'd want a warranty with it and check the terms and conditions carefully, but I prefer a factory refurb to a seller refurb if given the option.

Just thought I'd update from my post last night - took the camera out for a better play today and found that the lens is faulty...

Here in the UK we're entitled to claim a repair/exchange/refund as it was not sold as described (refurbed or not a camera should still be working when you get it) so in theory it shouldn't be too much of an issue considering the saving you get by buying refurbed, although I'm having a few problems with Sony passing me between sales (sorry we can't replace as don't have any more of that camera+lens combination so can only offer you warranty repair or refund) and warranty (we could help you buy it's so new that you need to go to sales and ask them to replace the lens).

Considering all this though, I'd still buy another refurb in the future as the savings are too good to pass up, so long as you know your rights just in case something goes wrong :thumbsup2

I picked up a Nikon Factory Refurb from Cameta Camera (they offered a 1-year warranty) and saved $450 from buying new. It was my first refurb camera and I would do it again. It only had 22 shutter actuations (this will vary, of course) and it looked brand new.

I have bought a few refurbished cameras and never had a problem...they usually come with a years warranty.
Ian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter