Would you spend 18 points for 2 days of Aulani Access?

lark

DIS Veteran
We could not get Aulani for our entire stay, so we booked the first two nights at the Marriott Ko Olina. There is, however, a standard view studio available for the first night we'll be there.

We don't really want to stay in the studio the first night, and then move to the Marriott for one night, and then move again. However, if we book the studio, even if we don't sleep there, I believe it should ensure that we have Aulani access for our entire trip -- on the first day, it's check in day, so even if our room is not ready when we arrive, we can hang out there. On day two, it's check out day, so I think we're entitled to access to Aulani for the whole day, right? On day three, it's check in day again, so we could go over early in the morning. So, basically, we get a day room for a portion of the first two days to use if we don't want to trek to the Marriott, and we get two days of Aulani access.

If anyone sees any problems with the logic, please let me know. More important, for those who have been to Aulani, would you think 18 points is worth spending to have access to Aulani for the first two days of our stay?

Logically, this makes sense.

If you put a 'cash equivalency on your 18 points (let's say 10 dollars a point) it would 'cost' you $180.00. So for $90.00 a day, you have access to the resort for two days.

Have fun!

Doesn't the Marriott resort have nice facilities, too?

Can't help but wonder if Disney's are that much better than Marriott's to be worth an extra 18 points, but that's very subjective and I haven't been to either resort, thus the question. :)

Can't help but wonder if Disney's are that much better than Marriott's to be worth an extra 18 points, but that's very subjective and I haven't been to either resort, thus the question. :)

Yup, that's the question, basically. I haven't been there either, so was hoping I might get some thoughts. With kids, water slides and lazy rivers seem to matter, although it looks as though there is a small slide at Ko Olina. My guess is the beaches are roughly equivalent, since both are lagoons on the same beach.

I have not seen either of these, but having toured a few Marriott resorts I can't see this as a need. The Marriotts I have been to are often nicer then the DVC resorts I stay at!!!!!

I copied this from a review of Trip Advisor
"The pools really shine here - even better in my opinion than at the Maui Marriott. A tunnel water slide and cave/waterfall pool on one end, an adult pool for a more quieter atmosphere and a young keiki pool that has a terrific faux-sand beach and bottom with 18" deep water. Absolutely perfect for the littlest kids and babies."

There are over 800 "user" photos on Trip Advisor, you might go check them out.

Excellent -- thanks much. The Marriott Maui pool is pretty nice, so if the Ko Olina pool compares, I agree it would be waste of points.

I've been to the Ko Olina Marriott - in a word - FABULOUS! You won't be disappointed. Here's our favorite hot tub. We'd hit this about 6 AM. You'll also get to experience Kolohe's. They make the best Mai Tai's!

DSC07568.jpg

I've been to the Ko Olina Marriott - in a word - FABULOUS! You won't be disappointed. Here's our favorite hot tub. We'd hit this about 6 AM. You'll also get to experience Kolohe's. They make the best Mai Tai's!

DSC07568.jpg

Ahhhhh Diane, that is a gorgeous photo--I can see why that would be a fav spot!:goodvibes

Yup, that's the question, basically. I haven't been there either, so was hoping I might get some thoughts. With kids, water slides and lazy rivers seem to matter, although it looks as though there is a small slide at Ko Olina. My guess is the beaches are roughly equivalent, since both are lagoons on the same beach.
Plus much of the resort is available even if not staying there. All you'd gain would be the pools and similar options. You'll also have access later in your trip if I understand you trip options accurately.

I have been to both. Ko Olina Marriott last year and just got back from Aulani last week. There is no comparison, Aulani is that much better. The Marriott is nice but pretty low key. There pools are pretty basic and small. I would use the 18 points for 2 days of access to Aulani. The resorts are at opposite ends of the Ko Olina resort area but there is a shuttle and it is walkable.

I have been to both. Ko Olina Marriott last year and just got back from Aulani last week. There is no comparison, Aulani is that much better. The Marriott is nice but pretty low key. There pools are pretty basic and small. I would use the 18 points for 2 days of access to Aulani. The resorts are at opposite ends of the Ko Olina resort area but there is a shuttle and it is walkable.

And just to show one person's Lemons are another's lemonaide when I was looking at the Marriott reviews on TripAdvisor at least one poster had the exact opposite view. Who know how OP will turn out :)

It's all the same beach anyway. All beaches in Hawaii are public, so anyone can use the lagoon at either resort, even if they're not staying there. So take the beach out of the equation.

We stayed at the JW Marriott Ko Olina a few years ago and it was amazing! I don't think you'll be disappointed. If it were me, I'd happily do a "split stay."

I'm anxious to hear what you think of your stay. Please advise us when done.

We loved our stay at Aulani and I don't think the other resorts are quite the same. What day were you planning to stay at Aulani? If it's a day when the Starlit Hui is on then I think it's definitely worth the extra points. There are other free classes and activities throughout the day (such as the lei making and star gazing walk) so I would make sure to take full advantage of all the resort has to offer. Get a copy of the daily and weekly IWA and you'll see what I mean.

We just returned from Aulani and we visited the other hotels, which of course is not the same as staying at them. However in our opinion although the other hotels are very nice and staying at them would be lovely, they do not compare to Aulani especially where the pool is concerned. However as a pp said this is completely subjective and someone else can see it differently.

At Aulani the lazy river is a bit too lazy but most of the kids there would just get out and swim with their tube. The slides are great, especially the dark one, fast and fun even for adults. Of course there is the Menehune Bridge that has smaller slides and spraying water everywhere. The pool area is just fantastic.

As far as the 18 points, well if you have 18 points to spare and you won't miss them or wish you had them later for another trip then I would do it. If they might come in handy for a later trip (and since you will be spending time at Aulani anyway) you might be better off saving the points.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

For 18 pts I would go for it. If you have kids, it is an absolute no brainer.

If you want to experience Aulani and have 18 points to spare absolutely. I agree if you get a night with Starlit Hui that is awesome. Every afternoon there was a pool party or games with the characters, on the beach you can borrow for free, boogie boards, umbrellas, sand toys.

And if you have kids under 13 Auntie's beach house is amazing! My son wanted to go every day and some days we couldn't get him to leave. he also loved the Menehune adventure trail (we probably did that 6 or 7 times) so there are a tonne of activities available more than just sitting by the pool or using the slides.

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want to do this. I mean by "Aulani Access" you pretty much mean "having use of the pool at Aulani" since nearly everything else at Aulani is open to guests not staying at the resort too. I would save the points and just use the pool at the Marriott the first couple days and wait for Aulani when you actually check in there. If this is about having access to a cool pool with waterslides, then just take your family to Wet and Wild which is close by.

We stayed at the Marriott KoOlina Beach Club for a week. It is a beautiful resort and the pools were wonderful and relaxing. :thumbsup2

Same beach same view of the pacific....... I would enjoy the Marriott then follow up with your stay at Aluni. You get to enjoy both resorts without running back and forth. Then come back and tell us what you think.

Went to Hawaii last minute at Easter this year and would have spent the 18 points in a heartbeat. We were unable to get Aulani at all for any night. We did stop one day and do a tour, have some food and really look around. It would have been worth 18 points to me to be able to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter