Would someone please tell me how bad driving to the parks from offsite Really is

msim

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I'm planning a trip to HIFS soon. Everyone keeps saying to stay on site because it will take an hour + to get from hotel to parks and back. I've never stayed offsite before. Is it really that bad?

Thanks.

HIFS is literally "down the block" from the entrance to WDW, less than a mile and less the trip from some ONsite hotels to the Magic Kingdom! The hour plus nightmares, I think, were talking about the areas on 192 that were under construction or the traffic on Intl Drive or I-4, both of which I have experienced. None of these problems are applicable to the HIFS, though.

We have never had a problem getting to the parks while staying off-site. There are so many signs that make it very easy to get to the themeparks. We normally stay on I-drive and it usually takes about 20 minutes to get to WDW; less if you are going to Downtown Disney. I have never stayed at HIFS but I think it is closer to WDW than I-drive is, so it probably won't take you even 20 minutes. I don't know if I would recommend leaving in the pm for a break and returning later but your morning/evening commute shouldn't be a problem.

Jodi

We stayed at hifs in August.......The drive from Epcot and Disney MGM is the same distance as the allstars resort and Downtown disney resorts. Unless you stay at the epcot resorts and can take the boat or walk in or stay at the monorail resorts HIFSis just as close if not closer than the Animal kingdom lodge, the wilderness lodge etc.. it depends where your going that day. HIFS is basicaly on Disneys doorstep...You wont beleive how close it is.

From the HIFS you can get to the EPCOT toll booth in less than 10 minutes; MK toll gates in less than 15 minutes. Driving time is not really a factor in staying there.

Thank you all very much!! I feel much better about my decision now.

I would say it is faster to drive from HIFS that to take a bus from MOST Disney hotels. I've done both.I prefer driving.

HIFS is really close, don't sweat it!!

While I have never stayed at HIFS, I have had accomodations in that same area where it is located in years past and never experienced any road-clogging traffic at all. Our commute has always been only a matter of minutes to WDW and does seem to indeed be shorter than actually riding the bus from many onsite hotels like others have indicated. Hope this helps; have a great time!

Getting to WDW is Fast!!
Getting back to HIFS gave us fits![but we always get lost, lol! even in our own city!! lol!]
There are immediately 3 exits and in seconds you have to chose which one you need.

So,get directions from the front desk clerks before you Go to WDW. Then you will be fine!!

[We finally just followed the HIFS buses back to the Hotel,it seemed there was always one leaving as we were!![Advoid the 192 exit,it is a spendy toll road!![$2.00 each way to get unlost!![But it was a Brilliant chose back to the Airport,when I-4 was a bumper to bumper traffic jam!! We had it practically to ourselves!!]

We stayed at HIMGE on 192 in November and found the drive into WDW to be a pleasure. We simply exited their parking lot straight up Seralago Blvd. and turned left onto Osceola Pkwy (no toll section). Like Tink2dw we also got lost numerous times on our way back, that one exit off of World Drive is very confusing. Our problems were solved once I picked up a Transportation Map at Guest Services - I would highly recommend you doing this on your first visit. Even my husband took getting lost in good humour - better to have trouble leaving than getting there I say.

I don't think the drive from either MOWC or HIFS is any harder than driving from an on-property hotel. It's a straight shot and only one or two minutes from OKW and PO - super easy.

My family and I just returned yesterday from a short trip to the Disney area. We got a wonderful rate at this new resort in Poinciana, which is about 25 miles south at WDW. When we first heard that the resort was that far away, we thought that we had rocks in our head to stay there. Well, let me tell you, it was a wonderful place to stay, and the ride was a pleasure! There was only one traffic light on the way there, and noooo traffic. This new resort was beautiful. We felt like we were in the middle of the Caribbean. They put us in this really nice 3 bedroom condo with a full kitchen and patio. I would tell anyone to try this place. It is wonderful!!! If you want to know any more about it, let me know at nicsdad@msn.com

We have stayed offsite the last three years and never had any problems. Disney handles the traffic like they do the lines in the park, with great expertise. It is true, 192 in Kissimmee is a nightmare so watch out if you're staying in that area. They should be done soon. Route 4 can sometimes be busy around rush hour so keep that in mind.

just returned from HIFS on 11/30 drive was very easy you are a minute from the entrance gates it took us less than 10 minutes to get to the furthest parking. Downtown is only 3/4 of a mlie according to the sign. My only advice would be watch the signs on the way out of all the parks looking for route 536. You will see alot for 192 there were not always signs for 536. we found if we did not see a sign for 536 and followed the signs for downtown disney it lead us right to it 536.

Claudine is so right...it can be easy to miss the signs for 536...Just keep in mind you want DT disney and you'll be there in no time. Getting in and out of the parks is easy.

Ditto what claudine said. We just came home on 12/2 after staying at HIFS for 8 night (I will never stay anywhere else unless I get a comped suite at the GF :lol ) If there's no sign for 536 just follow the DTD signs til you see 536 and bam, you're back at HIFS.

My parents were staying at CBR and one night we took the bus back there from the MK. I could NOT believe how long it took us to get to her resort! I would have been back to HIFS, in my jammies and asleep by the time the WDW bus dropped us off at CBR "onsite" :rolleyes

If you want to stay offsite there are plenty of nice places just west of main gate (World Drive) on 192. So there is no compelling need to stay further away and spend lots of time stopped ar red lights even without lots of traffic.

Going through DD proper, or more than a mile west of main gate on 192 or more than a mile east of I-4 on 192, you run into lots of traffic lights. On a road like 192 or Int'l Drive your net speed is probably only 15 miles an hour if that.

More Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Just want to quell any fears.....US 192 is really good now that most of the roadworks have been finished. It's an easy drive and I haven't heard of any hour long rides since last New Year...about the only time it gets close to this ! Stay offsite and enjoy the better rates and see something of Orlando...it has far more to offer than just Disney.

I've never had a serious problem with traffic. I usually take the Serebeth Rd. shortcut to avoid I-192 traffic.

The only place that I avoid staying is the cluttered end of I-Drive. If you hit that at rush hour, you might as well get out and walk. That will be faster! :)

We have stayed east of WDW on (and off) of 192, west ot WDW on 192, in LBV, and at Marriotts out near Sea World, and our driving time has never been more that 15-20 mins, and usually less than that. The only time we had problems was two years ago with construction on 192, but that's over now. When I see the crowded lines and congested busses of WDW transport, I'm always thankful to be sitting in my quiet, air conditioned car, listening to the radio (or the kids, usually either excited about going to WDW or snoozing after a long day), and not being hassled while making that short trip to the World or hotel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter