Worried about OKW or SS....what to do?

kreckl

DIS Veteran
We are looking to add 2 nights onto our upcoming trip, and since we've never stayed at either of these, we wanted to try one. I'm a little worried about doing so as it seems like they are really spread out. We won't have a car and are going in Aug so will have heat and possibly rain. How can we be near amenities and enjoy these resorts without a car?
Is either one better? Is either pool significantly better for 2 teen boys? We would really like to be near main pool and food options, but I'm guessing so do most people.
Thanks!

I would always pick SSR given the 2 options because the buildings have elevators.

I've never stayed in Grandstand, but people like it because it's the first bus stop, and I would think teens could easily do the walk to the pool and main buildings. The Community Hall is well equipped.

Plenty of people here would choose OKW for a larger villa. What size villa do you want? OKW's studios have 2 queen beds, their 1 bedrooms have a queen sofa bed and a single chair bed in the living room. SSR does not have the chair bed in the living room.

We request by areas rather than close to amenities or bus stops so not everyone will be requesting the same. With some dependence on the size villa I'd recommend SSR based a bit on the closeness of DTD. You also have much better QS options, a pool table (was still there the last time we were) golf and feature pools. Any park bus will get you from your area to the main section and I think DTD bus will do the reverse. We usually walk so not great experience with the buses around the resort.

SSR has 2 themed pools. The original is closest to the Springs area and right next to the carriage house (lobby, shop, restaurants). The second is in center of the paddock area. It also has a slide and small bar/grill. It isn't too far from carriage house and the high springs pool (the original "main" pool. We really liked Paddock as we have a toddler and he loved the kids splash area there. The walk to Disney Springs wasn't too bad and being in the middle of the bus stops meant we usually got a seat on the buses. Grandstand seems nice from what I have read as well-you DO NOT want carousel section.

We don't care about the size of the room. It's only 2 nights then we are moving on to another resort. The boys are 13 and are fine sharing a bed. If I request an area, its not guaranteed. Would it be very difficult without a car to get around to the resort amenities?

Sounds like you would be better off at SSR.

If you can get Congress Park, that makes Disney Shopping Village...I mean Pleasure Island.....I mean Downtown Disney....I mean Disney Springs walkable.

You could also rent a car from the car care center for 2 days if you are worried about it.

If you are near the HH you'll be fine with reaching the food and pools. To contradict the popular opinion, I'm a much bigger fan of OKW. It was the first DVC resort I stayed in. That was when I was 14. Also Stayed at OKW as a 15 yo, 17-19 yo (just for reference since you have teens). I love it. The pool was fun, the atmosphere is relaxing and the rooms have a good amount of space (despite that not being a concern of yours. In my opinion I feel that SSR feels more spread out and I really did not enjoy it in my two times staying there. That's my parents' home resort and they avoid it now too (they have only stayed there once, I stayed with friends one time). Yes, it does rain here in august and it is hot. you'll be in the heat all day at the parks so the short walks from the bus stop wont make a huge difference. Most of the rain happens in the afternoon but you could get rained on at most resorts. Both have a boat to Disney Springs which is nice (if that is your sort of thing). Hope that helps. Enjoy!

if you choose OKW the studio's have 2 queen beds and are much bigger than SSR. Depending on what amenities you need, if you need to be by the main check in at OKW it is a separate booking category called Near HH. SSR you would need to request the Springs Section in order to be close to the Carriage House. Both of those areas would also have what is considered the Main Pool. OKW has an area called Turtle Pond that has a great pool and the Turtle Shack for snacks, however if you needed to get to HH you would need to take a bus lol its far but walkable if you like to go for a morning jog or walk. SSR I believe has 5 pools if you include the THV Congress Park is also a 10-15 min walk to Disney Springs which is nice considering traffic in that area is crazy. OKW has a boat launch to Disney Springs, however its from HH, so my recommendation is if you can book near HH at OKW I would choose that over SSR if you need to be by the main check in. However the Millers Road Section of OKW is also very close to HH and 2-3 minute walk IMHO almost as close as buildings 11-15 which are the Near HH category

I am an owner at SSR and when I stay there I choose Congress Park

Last edited:
We have stayed at both. While OKW is our home resort we really like SSR because it's close to Disney Springs. We stay across from Congress Park in the Paddock so we are close to bus stop (across the street) and quiet pool and short walk to Disney Springs. If you have 2 teens I would probably consider OKW given it has 2 queen beds in studio whereas SSR has one and a pullout sofa. If that's not a big deal than SSR would work.

If you are anywhere at OKW and find it too far to walk, just hop any bus since they all stop at the Hospitality House last. Then to get back to your area, either take the Internal bus that stops at HH area first and last or walk over to the Peninsular Road bus stop (right across the bridge from the HH) and take any bus to your area. We were just at Millers Road and would catch buses at both the Millers Road bus stop and HH bus stop. It's not that far around the resort walking. And kids should not have any problems doing that. The neighborhood pools are not themed, but are nice. These are at South Point, Turtle Pond (which is a bit larger with a small counter service open seasonally) and Millers Road. There are basketball courts and tennis courts at OKW. You can also walk to Disney Springs on a path alongside the golf course. Just stay off the cart paths.

Thanks for the help~ so, would you all do it? I now know what to ask for but if we don't get our requests...?

Thanks for the help~ so, would you all do it? I now know what to ask for but if we don't get our requests...?
How close do you really have to be to the resort amenities? Is a 10 minute walk from your room to the pool or to the quick service eatery outside your comfort zone?

We have stayed at SSR several times and find it fairly easy to get around. I can walk from any building in the Paddock or Congress Park sections to the SSR Carriage House, main pool, and Artist Palette Quick Service in about 10 minutes. However, my wife sometimes has asthma related respiratory issues so she walks at a slower pace than me, so we often walk at a much slower pace.

So, if your family has no mobility issues, I doubt if the layout of SSR will have a negative impact on their enjoyment.

We are looking to add 2 nights onto our upcoming trip, and since we've never stayed at either of these, we wanted to try one. I'm a little worried about doing so as it seems like they are really spread out. We won't have a car and are going in Aug so will have heat and possibly rain. How can we be near amenities and enjoy these resorts without a car?
Is either one better? Is either pool significantly better for 2 teen boys? We would really like to be near main pool and food options, but I'm guessing so do most people.
Thanks!
I wouldn't do OKW with out a car and would be reluctant for SSR. SSR is much better pool wise, request near paddocks pool. The walk isn't that far across the bridge for the restaurants and there is a snack bar at the pool.

If you are anywhere at OKW and find it too far to walk, just hop any bus since they all stop at the Hospitality House last. Then to get back to your area, either take the Internal bus that stops at HH area first and last or walk over to the Peninsular Road bus stop (right across the bridge from the HH) and take any bus to your area. We were just at Millers Road and would catch buses at both the Millers Road bus stop and HH bus stop. It's not that far around the resort walking. And kids should not have any problems doing that. The neighborhood pools are not themed, but are nice. These are at South Point, Turtle Pond (which is a bit larger with a small counter service open seasonally) and Millers Road. There are basketball courts and tennis courts at OKW. You can also walk to Disney Springs on a path alongside the golf course. Just stay off the cart paths.

Absolutely agree with Deb&Bill's post. I've stayed at both, but my home resort has been OKW since the early 90's. OKW Community Hall is every bit as good as SSR's. The proximity of DS to SSR is a plus IF you plan on spending time at DS. That said, OKW has a very pleasant boat ride at no charge that runs between OKW & DS throughout the day and evening.

Both are lovely resorts, very laid back. I have never thought of OKW as "more spread out" than SSR. They are both very large resorts. As Deb&Bill mentioned if you go with OKW, you just hop on any bus and it's last stop will be right at HH.

Was an OKW owner for many years and have stayed at both resorts. Our kids preferred OKW, tennis courts, community hall and ease of getting around the resort.

Thanks for the helpful info. I am not able to get HH at Key West, but its helpful to know where to ask for. I think we are leaning towards SS because we will have a lot of luggage and no elevators frightens me! So, we request near Paddocks pool? I see that it only has a "view" option for studios- so that wouldn't put us in a better location?

Don't make this bigger than it needs to be. Pick one this vacation and the other next time. As you stay at each resort update your resort pro and con list so years down the road you can remember the resort details as they pertain to you and your family. That way you will know which to re-book and which to skip and what to expect.

:earsboy: Bill

Why am I making it big? I have never stayed at either resort, so am asking a few questions. These are the only 2 DVC resorts we are unfamiliar with and I am trying to make a good choice for our family. On our last trip we tried 2 nights at Coronado. We had a building close to the main lobby but it was quite a hike to the pool. Since that is the only resort we have stayed at that seems to be that spread out, I am trying to see if its possible to avoid something like that again.

We really enjoy the Grandstand area at SSR (Bldgs. 8101-8436 or 8501-8836). Grandstand is the first bus stop and quick 5 min. walk up to the front (restaurants / lobby / boats to Disney Springs). If you request Paddock ask to be near pool & bus stop.

(PS) Walking around EITHER SSR or OKW could be similar to the walk at Coronado depending on where you wanted to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter