• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Working on Weight Loss During Training--Wk of 11/12

Minnie - I have back/sciatica problems also. I had a back injury about 12-13 years ago, so the problem has always been there. But the last couple of months have been hard. What type of problem do you have?

I am not ready to give up the 1/2. I just won't. I am hoping to make it through January before I get my back investigated more. Who knows tho, if I can't get the stretching to help, I may have no other choice. It just terrifies me. My FIL is getting out of the hospital today from back surgery and my mom had back surgery when I was younger. I just don't want it!!!

For those that like to have the convenience of the bars~ have you tried the 100 cal. Balance Bars? They are very good & have some protien in them. Although they are smaller than the Snickers bar they are still good to hold over that appetite.

Hi gang, glad to see everyone checking in...thank you Cam for doing a buddy check on us. :thumbsup2

I missed my WW meeting (Tues.) due to a snow storm...the major highway was closed for 7, or so hours and I was stranded at home. I've been doing a construction clean, for owners 2 stories above us, so I haven't been walking on my tm, but have been cleaning for 6+ hours. I figured that has to count for at least 6 exercise points, right?

My biggest problem with snacks/sweets is working at Starbucks. Man, that place is a killer for someone watching their weight. Since it's close to Christmas we have been doing samples of the holiday snacks...cranberry bliss bars, gingerbread loaf, orange cream muffins, so on and so on. I think to myself, "oh, this little piece won't hurt", then after 10 "little pieces" I get very depressed :guilty: I have got to figure out a way of satisfying my sweet cravings w/out eating that stuff. HELP!

DH and I are going to his bosses house for Thanksgiving and it's being catered, so that's going to be another temptation...I think I'll eat a salad before going over.

Thanks again Cam for keeping us in gear :wizard: Good luck gang and have a great weekend. :cloud9:

Monte -- I have found that carrying a couple of flavors of sweet sugarless gum (watermelon is one of my favorite flavors) and keeping a piece in my mouth at all times keeps me from mindlessly munching. Good luck -- I know it is hard!

Hi everyone! Just checking in. Thanks again, Cam, for bringing us all together again. :goodvibes

Minnie (Suzy :) ) - I'm sorry to hear about your back/sciatica problems. My friend, Cindy, who will be helping me in the half, has had some problems with a sciatic nerve. She's been going to a chiropractor each week and she said that has helped her some. Hope you can get back on track soon. :goodvibes Are you sure Disney is out? :hug:

Monte - I feel your pain. I'd go crazy in a place like that. :crazy:

Cam - good idea about the sugarless gum. I didn't even think about that. Duh! I don't crave sweets so much but I do a lot of mindless snacking. :rolleyes:

Jen - I'm a little nervous about being 7 1/2 weeks out. So far, my longest LR (walk/run) was last Saturday at 6 miles. You've done 8. Good for you! I'm scheduled to do 7 this weekend and I know I can do it (trying to think positive here). I just hope I can do it in 15 minutes/mile or under.

Wendy - Try to think about it like this - for every pound you DID lose, that's ~10-15 pounds of less pressure on your joints. Your mind may not think those lost pounds matter but your body does. Hang in there. For someone who has run all these marathons, I'm in total awe of your accomplishments.

Tiff - I should try those bars. Do you have a favorite?

Sunny - I'm right there with you on the "Believing" part. If someone told me last year that I would be training to run a half this year, I would have thought that person was crazy. How could I train for a half when I've never stuck to any exercise program in the past for any length of time. I always thought that these long distance races were for slim, athletic type of people (and I still think that sometimes when I'm on a LR :crazy2: :teeth: ) but I'm trying to trick my brain into thinking I can do this. This may sound mushy but the encouragement given on this board to fellow participants really keeps me going. Honestly, if I hadn't found this board, I don't think I would have continued. Thank you all! :thumbsup2

For everyone
- the beauty about getting off track with the eating is that you can get right back on track. Don't look at past mistakes. Just think about what you're going to do today to reach your goals. In addition to preplanning the snacks and meals, I've always heard that keeping a food journal of what you eat helps track those calories. If you drink it, ink it. If you bite it, write it.

Here's what I've had/will have today:
B: 1 egg, 1 slice of 100% wheat toast, 1 & 1/2 slices of turkey bacon, and heart-healthy OJ. (Sounds like a diet commercial. :teeth: )
L: A WW Smart-One enchilada dinner. Love that Mexican food.
Snacks: 2 small handfuls of walnuts.
D: Barilla Plus spaghetti and 2 small meatballs in tomato sauce.

Sounds like a lot of food but I think this will all fit in my calorie intake plan.

Sending good thoughts to everyone for a healthy day!

Hi, everyone!
DH talked me into going out to dinner tonight when I was at my weakest (7 hours since lunch, no snack -- ugh!) Went to applebees and did the new rosemary chicken w/the salad. The chicken was core, I'm certain, but the salad (I had dressing on the side) had fresh parmesan. It was delicious. I also had some of DH's garlic fries which had olive oil on them. And a weight watchers french onion soup. DH and DS shared an appetizer sampler. I had the tiniest buffalo chicken tender and a taste of the spinach dip, but didn't cave in to all the other goodies on the platter. It helped that I had a paperback along that I read. I am estimating a total of 15 WAPs (1 for spinach dip; 2 for buffalo chicken tender; 2 for dressing; 3 for soup; 7 for fries) since the greens and the chicken itself were core. Oh, and I was strong enough to take the skin off the chicken and to not eat the entire serving (still getting that only eat til you're satisified routine in hand)
Thanks for keeping me accountable, guys! I really appreciate it. Tomorrow will be a pure core day.

Thanks Cam for keeping us going! :goodvibes

I know what my problem is: major sleep deprivation. When you are so tired & you have to stay awake, you eat. Food (any kind really) gives you a little boost. Gets the blood pumping again. This is how I gained about 20 lbs. after my wedding & before I was preggo with Zack. I start work at 3:30am, and I would munch all morning to stay awake. Now that I have been doing WW for over 2 years, I eat much better. I still eat really well at work, but recently, I lose it at home.

Chad worked last night (3pm yesterday to 5:45am today - ugh!). So, I had to stay up to bring Zack to my SIL's to sleep over. But she didn't want him until 8pm to be sure her daughter was asleep first. Totally understandable. So, we did errands & I got Zack a happy meal while we were out. I was crashing, so I got a happy meal too. :blush: I did count the points, but still... I just am so tired all the time, I end up making poor choices just to get through the day.

I will almost be relieved when Chad is finally laid off! Maybe then I can sleep. We'll have no money, but maybe my eating will improve & I'll lose some weight! :rotfl: Speaking of the sale of his tv station to mine...the FCC approved the sale yesterday, so it definately is only a matter of time. Very sad. :sad2:

Kristi -- I am so sorry about Chad's job situation. I hope he finds something very quickly. I'd bet that you are also stress-eating, which I'm sure we can all understand all too well. Take care of yourself, sweetie! :hug:

keenercam said:
Kristi -- I am so sorry about Chad's job situation. I hope he finds something very quickly. I'd bet that you are also stress-eating, which I'm sure we can all understand all too well. Take care of yourself, sweetie! :hug:

Thanks! :goodvibes
And yes, lost of stress-eating going on! :rolleyes:

Jen - I have a bulging disk between L4 & L5 which they want to do surgery on. I have so far refused this but it causes sciatica and hip pain if I push things to much.

Susie - Disney is definitely out this year. I can't manage the distance training necessary to do it right now. This is the 2nd year in a row that injuries have stopped my plans :sad2:

Kristi - :grouphug: DF has just been through an almost plant shutdown about a month ago instead they took a major pay cut. He is now going through the interview process for other companies but it is very stressful. I know what your going through and how tough it is. My best to you and :wizard: that it all resolves itself soon :grouphug:

Cam - Eating out is just plain tough but I'm thrilled to see you made such good choices :cheer2: You could have easily caved in and you stayed strong I am sooooo proud of you :cool1:

As for me I did okay yesterday. I managed to stay on plan all except for that darn exercise which I WILL get started on some way some how :blush:
Today though is a toughie. I have lunch out planned with a friend and will try to find something on plan. Then the weekend is upon us and my son will be home which normally means pizza/movie night. I will try to do my best to stay on plan and get my rear to exercise some how :guilty:

Best to everyone! Please check in and let us know how your doing :grouphug:

So, confession time. After I posted last night, I ate candy cane pie. UGH! I am thinking another 6 points. :sad1: No willpower.

The only good thing that came out of it was a sugar boost that got me through the task of going through 5 huge rubbermaid containers of clothes I put away after last winter. I made piles for Goodwill, Dress for Success, ebay/consignment, my SIL, an IRL friend, and a WISH friend. I was able to cull out a few things to wear this winter, but I now have no safety net.

All of the 24w, 22w, 20w, 18w, 18s and most of the 16w and 16, as well as all 3x, 2x and 1x will soon be gone. OMG! If I gain back any weight, I am in BIG trouble. NO loose clothes to reach for. If anything starts getting tight, it will be a constant reminder to get to the gym and eat smarter. :rolleyes:

GOOD FOR YOU CAM!!! I did that this summer. I don't have many clothes right now, but I had to stop relying on the big ones. Tho I love shopping in my own closet and wearing pants that haven't fit in a couple of years!!!

Minnie - Oh, I hope your back pain gets fixed soon. I haven't gone in for an MRI because I am being stubborn. My doctor says it could be the scar tissue causing my pain, or something else. But being that I am in my mid 30's, so didn't want to push surgery yet. I have this horrible popping sound in my lower spine and pain across the low pain and down my sciatic nerve at times. I am currently using stretches to eleviate the pain and hope that works. If not, then I will have to see if I have a bulging disk or other damage. When I was about 20-21 ish, I fell off my horse and landed on my tailbone. It jammed my back and since then I have had many many problems. Most have gone away after a period of rest. But I think all my training may not be giving myself enough rest.

OK, yesterday I did OK. We were going to pick up a pizza on our way home, then I said, oh I will just whip something up when we get home. We get home late on T, W, Th. So I made baked potatoes with toppings. The girls love those. I heat up a can of chili and then can put whatever they want on their potatoes.

CAM - last night I decided to make some cabbage/kidney bean/tomato soup concoction. It reminded me of your kidney bean concoction. Thanks for the idea.

You're welcome, Jen! And congrats on the great willpower last night.

Today is going to be mostly controlled for me until tonight.
B: shredded wheat w/8 oz skim milk; coffee w/4 oz skim milk
L: kidney beans, corn, chicken, tomatoes
S: apple, clementine

Dinner is uncertain. DS's play opens tonight and we'll eat afterwards, probably between 10 and 10:30. UGH! Not sure yet whether we'll tag along with the kids to the diner and eat something there or just drop DS off and go somewhere else. In either even, I'll probably lean toward a huge salad,maybe with grilled chicken.

Tomorrow is crazy, too. Quick,early breakfast before driving an hour for DS's All-State Chorus audition, then drive an hour home to drop him off, then drive 1/2 hour back in the same direction for DD's football game. Still hoping to make some kind of food to take to the FB game so that I am not tempted by all the yummy concession stand stuff.

Wow, you guys have been busy!!!

Cam - Way to go on getting rid of the safety net!

OK, now I'm scared. I've been doing ebtter adn at least I'm not gainign like I did last year, but this time last eyar is when I finally kicked it in gear. The saddest part is that I'm right about where I was last year. :( About 3 to 4 months of doing well went down the toilet and I've never fully gotten back to it. SO help me, we are gettign so close adn I WILL NOT run with more sticks of butter than last year. SOmebody kick my but.

Oh, and girls weekend with teh ILs is NOT the way to get me going for real! :guilty: On the flipp side, if I can get through this weekend ok, the rest shoudl be easy for me, right? That's what I'm going with.

Good luck meeting those goals and stying on plan this weekend!

Carrie - :yay: :yay: Double side kicks. Hope that helps. I find that if I don't plan, I fail. I haven't planned too well this week, so it's been a stuggle. Good weeks for me are when I have my dinners pre-prepared so I know what we are having and it's ready to go.

I usually do OK at work, unless DH insists on lunch and it's not Subway. I have no self control at restaurants.

Carrie-- Be sure to jot down everything you eat. It may be disheartening to look at the list later but the thought of having to write something down sometimes keeps me from eating it. Also, in difficult, tempting situations recently, I have endeavored to always leave at least one small piece of every item I'm eating on my plate. It is amazing to think of how those uneaten calories can add up. Sending you pixiedust: sweetie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter