Wondering about availability at VGF and OKW

Anal Annie

at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't help it
I am thinking ahead to 2015. We have a 4 night Dream cruise booked starting on Aug. 3rd and I am trying to figure out which resort(s) and for how many nights to go along with it pre-cruise. Our DS will graduate HS next June and will be starting college somewhere in the fall - I'm figuring it's likely going to be in mid-August for freshman orientation so we need to plan to go and get back a little earlier than what we're used to going (we usually push a little into Dream season which won't work now). (I know it might be later than that when he goes but I want to plan on the safe side as at least one of the schools he's looking at has said mid-August.) He's a swimmer and it will be his last summer swim team season too so we will not go before the end of season banquet etc either near the end of July. I am not normally a big fan of split stays because I don't want to pack but I was toying with the idea of 4 or 5 nights pre-cruise at VGF and about 3 nights post-cruise somewhere else. OR maybe just hit one resort for 7 or 8 nights pre-cruise and then maybe 2 nights post-cruise. I just want to be home with at least about a week to spare before we have to worry about moving him somewhere.

ANYWAY, I was wondering about the availability for studios at VGF - which view is likely going to be harder to get? Are the standard views harder bcuz they're less points or are the Lake views harder bcuz everybody wants the view? I don't really care if we have a view or not I'm just trying to figure out which way I'd better budget our points. I haven't been keeping up with this resort scoop so I don't even know how hard it is to get in the summer for a 7 mo. ressie. Is it even worth thinking about trying to get? We'd likely try for BCV as our 2nd choice and VWL as a 3rd - I never plan anything at 7 mo. without a Plan B & Plan C. I was just wondering about the popularity of the booking categories at VGF.

I was also playing with the idea of getting a 1 bedroom at OKW instead (we normally only use studios). We had to borrow some points for THIS year so we only have 199 pts. available w/o borrowing. But so we'd only have to borrow 23 pts. to just skip the VGF idea altogether and stay at OKW in a 1 bedroom. So far it has been our least fav. DVC resort but we haven't stayed there since 2007. Way before it was refurbed and before HH was a booking category request. We didn't like our location that we had there AT ALL and wouldn't want to stay there again UNLESS we could get the HH category. So my question for OKW is how hard is it to get the HH category at 7 months for a summer ressie? Does that category tend to get snatched up by OKW owners before the 7 mo. window? If we're going to ever give OKW another try it will have to be in HH or nothing. I know that OKW is usually available in general…I'm only asking about the HH category.

TIA - I'm just starting to put some ideas on paper to discuss with DH and DS. I want to have all our options laid out. :goodvibes

ANYWAY, I was wondering about the availability for studios at VGF - which view is likely going to be harder to get? Are the standard views harder bcuz they're less points or are the Lake views harder bcuz everybody wants the view? I don't really care if we have a view or not I'm just trying to figure out which way I'd better budget our points. I haven't been keeping up with this resort scoop so I don't even know how hard it is to get in the summer for a 7 mo. ressie. Is it even worth thinking about trying to get? We'd likely try for BCV as our 2nd choice and VWL as a 3rd - I never plan anything at 7 mo. without a Plan B & Plan C. I was just wondering about the popularity of the booking categories at VGF.

VGF studios are probably the hardest to book of DVCs at WDW. Even as an owner, I have missed out by not booking right at 11m for moderately busy, but not the busiest , DVC times. It might be possible to get 2-3 nights, but I wouldn't count on anything longer, regardless of the view. You'll have more luck with a 1bd, and most likely a greater chance with 2bd.

BCV also books quickly in the summer months. VWL will likely be the easiest of the 3, for a studio.

VGF studios are probably the hardest to book of DVCs at WDW. Even as an owner, I have missed out by not booking right at 11m for moderately busy, but not the busiest , DVC times. It might be possible to get 2-3 nights, but I wouldn't count on anything longer, regardless of the view. You'll have more luck with a 1bd, and most likely a greater chance with 2bd.

BCV also books quickly in the summer months. VWL will likely be the easiest of the 3, for a studio.

Thanks. Guess we'll just scratch the idea of VGF. I don't need the stress and am not prepared to part with the points for anything larger than a studio. It's a points hog and doesn't really look like our type of resort anyway. We just wanted to stay there once for a few nights to say that we'd tried it and so we could continue to say that we've stayed at all of the DVC resorts. Maybe the novelty will wear off in a few years and we can try it then. We've managed to be able to book at all the other DVC resorts now with only having to waitlist once so we are ready to start repeating resorts. I know BCV is hard to get so I might try walking it. That's worked out for us at a couple of resorts.

Thanks. Guess we'll just scratch the idea of VGF. I don't need the stress and am not prepared to part with the points for anything larger than a studio. It's a points hog and doesn't really look like our type of resort anyway. We just wanted to stay there once for a few nights to say that we'd tried it and so we could continue to say that we've stayed at all of the DVC resorts. Maybe the novelty will wear off in a few years and we can try it then. We've managed to be able to book at all the other DVC resorts now with only having to waitlist once so we are ready to start repeating resorts. I know BCV is hard to get so I might try walking it. That's worked out for us at a couple of resorts.

Oh, don't give up...VGF is absolutely beautiful. The studios are large and very, very beautiful. I doubt the novelty of staying there will wear off for most people anytime soon. You are just one monorail stop away from the MK and a quick boat ride back. I am not an owner there but have managed to snag a couple of very short stays to try it (one was post cruise). I agree it is a points hog, but it was fun to experience it for a quick stay. Why don't you just wait and check studio availability right at 8am at 7 months and see if you can do a couple of nights post cruise there? It would be a great way to finish off your vacation. If not available you can just book another resort. They all have something fun to offer. Also, people do cancel reservations and change things around, so if you have a couple of nights post cruise booked somewhere else because there is no availability at VGF you could waitlist or check the website for availability in case something magically opens up. That's how we got our nights (by checking ourselves online) Have a great trip and cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter