Why are IRS scam messages filled with such awkward grammar?

Actually leaving bad Grammer and making ridiculous claims is part of the game, they figure If that doesn't raise red flags right out the gate and they still hooked you...you likely will follow through till the end.

Because English is usually not their first language.

Yep. I've dealt with Indians (mostly overseas employment recruiters over the years) and their English grammar is similar to what I hear from these scam calls. It's way different grammar than Indian immigrants living in the United States who have adjusted to using American English grammar. However, some claim that the form of grammar they use is as legitimate a form of English as any. I mean - there are more people speaking English in India than in the UK.

Still - I remember hearing about the Justice Dept and their arrests/indictments of people in the US who worked with these scam callers. Many were ethnic Indians, but quite a few were Americans. They were doing things like buying the MagicJack VoIP boxes that were used to provide American phone numbers as well as runners collecting the cash card and/or gift card credits. You'd think that they would at least have someone go over the grammar of those robo messages to at least sound a little less awkward.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/five...s-multimillion-dollar-india-based-call-center
https://www.justice.gov/usao-edwi/pr/internal-revenue-service-impersonation-scammers-arrested

Actually leaving bad Grammer and making ridiculous claims is part of the game, they figure If that doesn't raise red flags right out the gate and they still hooked you...you likely will follow through till the end.

I've also heard that they seem to hook a lot of victims who are originally from India. I suppose the phrase "serious allegation against your name" is well understood in Indian English, although " serious allegation against you" would make more sense to an American.

Talking about this IRS scam, why they are still using this trick until now. I even got some calls from them few days ago, and after I Googled it, I found people have reported them at http://www.whycall.me/9546037026.html. Is there anyone of you who know someone fell for these IRS scams recently?

The grammar is intentional to a degree. It's a qualifier. People smart enough to be skeptical never call in when the computer shows them this fake alert.

There's no way I would send any money to India. Now, Nigeria whole 'nother story! :tongue:

I just got this call yesterday and I laughed because "cops" has replaced the original "magistrate" from their previous messages. I never answer any of these spam calls and they only leave a message once in a while. Cracks me up. Also why I still have a house phone and caller id

I just got this call yesterday and I laughed because "cops" has replaced the original "magistrate" from their previous messages. I never answer any of these spam calls and they only leave a message once in a while. Cracks me up. Also why I still have a house phone and caller id

There are federal magistrate judges in the US though. But I think it's a far more common use in India.

A lot of different scammer groups are still doing this. I was somewhat surprised that there was a raid in India last year where several of the leaders were arrested. They all seem to use similar scripts, with some scripted to say that the "sheriff" is going to come and arrest the recipient. A lot of them seem to also leave out a lot of prepositions, such as "confirm you" rather than "confirm to you".

Last edited:
I guess there must be, but it's truly astonishing. :sad2:

I'm pretty sure my elderly neighbor would fall for this scam. She is easily confused and worries about everything. I think she would really believe that she was going to be arrested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter