Which rides are worth it?

Biscuitsmom31

<font color=peach>Burn a candle to deal with the s
This is our first time to Disney World. My husband has muscular dystrophy and will be in his electric wheelchair. He is able to stand when I can pull him up out of his chair to standing position. He is also able to walk on even pavement for a few steps with assistance. The MD has effected his upper body as well as his lower body (to a lesser degree) but he is unable to lift himself for transferring. I am curious if any of the rides are accessible for our "pull and pivot" method-where I can pull him out of his chair and he can pivot and plop into a ride seat. The ride seat could not be blocked in any way because I will have to be able to pull him up out of it. Also, nothing that requires him to step down at all. For him "stepping down" is more like "crash landing". I have RA myself and we will be traveling with 4 kids (did I bite off more than I can chew or what) so the main thing I really want to know is what rides that he can get on are worth the effort of doing so. He would definately not want to bust a hernia getting in and out for 2 minute ride.

I also want to let you know how thrilled I am that I found this board and how helpful everyone here has been. :banana:

If he can take a rough ride that moves you around a lot, Star Tours would be one that would work for your type of transfer. It is a theater where the whole theater is a similator. The seats are theater seats and wheelchair users sit in the front row (with several feet of space in front of you. The wheelchair can be pulled right into the theater and then you can transfer. The CM removes the wheelchair and then pulls it back in for transfer when the ride is over. If he needs extra support, you can ask for a 4 point harness. One thing to be aware of; the seat nack comes to just below my shoulders (I'm 5 foot 7) and there is no head or neck support.

A lot of the ride cars are side loading, where someone has to slide or be lifted sideways to get in and out, so would not work well for your method.

There are many attractions where he will actually be able to stay in the wheelchair and have the wheelchair loaded into a special wheelchair ride car (unless he has an unusually wide or long chair).
If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board, one of the posts on that thread (I think it's post 3) has a link to the WDW Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities. Once you get to the Guidebook page, you will find a link for each park which includes a list of rides/attractions where you can actually stay in the wheelchair for the attraction. Some of the good ones include the Kilomonjari Safari at AK, The Backstage Tour and the Great Movie Ride at the Studio. It is also possible to ride the train at MK in a wheelchair.
Just some highlights!
Are there any rides that you are especially interested in getting accessibility information about?

SueM in MN said:
If he can take a rough ride that moves you around a lot, Star Tours would be one that would work for your type of transfer.

A few years ago I rode Star Tours with a family with small children. Our ride did not move. I forget what the CM called it, but it is possible to ride Star Tours without the motion. It is a very different senstation without all the motion, but at least you can see the movie part of the attraction. This was during a slow evening - probably during Fantasmic, so there were not many guests & the CMs could be quite accomodating. At the time I had a friend with a heart condition & mentioned it to him (he has since had a very successful heart transplant!).

Biscuitsmom31 said:
This is our first time to Disney World. My husband has muscular dystrophy and will be in his electric wheelchair. He is able to stand when I can pull him up out of his chair to standing position. He is also able to walk on even pavement for a few steps with assistance. The MD has effected his upper body as well as his lower body (to a lesser degree) but he is unable to lift himself for transferring. I am curious if any of the rides are accessible for our "pull and pivot" method-where I can pull him out of his chair and he can pivot and plop into a ride seat. The ride seat could not be blocked in any way because I will have to be able to pull him up out of it. Also, nothing that requires him to step down at all. For him "stepping down" is more like "crash landing". I have RA myself and we will be traveling with 4 kids (did I bite off more than I can chew or what) so the main thing I really want to know is what rides that he can get on are worth the effort of doing so. He would definately not want to bust a hernia getting in and out for 2 minute ride.

I also want to let you know how thrilled I am that I found this board and how helpful everyone here has been. :banana:

I PMd you in response to your "Newbie" post. I'll be happy to share the information I've gathered about the various rides - for when we come to Disney World in December with my daughter's fiancee who has MD. You may be surprised by how many rides and attractions your husband will be able to experience without ever leaving his chair.

:grouphug:

Fortunately, at this point, my DH has no issues with his neck or core muscles. His problems are with his arms and legs so the moving and jolting won't affect him unless his legs are dangling-then they will just swing and kick with the motion. :flower:

I use an electric wheelchair full-time and can't sit up without complete support. Our last trip to Disney World I spent about 10 hours researching wheelchair accessible rides. I didn’t transfer for any rides and still had a fantastic time.

Here is a list of rides that you can drive your wheelchair directly onto without transferring, sorted by park:

Magic Kingdom---

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: (note-this ride doesn't fit longer wheelchairs-my standard electric wheelchair didn't fit-the manual wheels may make it fit, and the shooter is hard to reach, especially with contractures)

Stitches Great Escape (note-the bars that come down on the shoulders could be painful, especially if they are drawn up like mine-I haven’t ridden it)

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Takes you through several classic scenes-awesome-easy access)

it’s a small world (easy access)

Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)

Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, their are scenes along the way. I am not sure if all stops are accessible so get on at Main Street)

Jungle Cruise (recently converted-I haven't been on it)

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (too short for some chairs)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible

Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are impossible for wheelchairs (you can do a roundtrip on the raft that goes to Tom Sawyer Island)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Shows I recommend:

Time Keeper (360 degree imaging with awesome Animatronics that take you on a time-travel adventure fraught with danger and comedy)

Carousel of Progress (the classic tale following an animatronic family through different eras of invention)

Enchanted Tiki Room (‘Under New Management’ by Zazu and Iago creating a cute, funny adventure-mild danger- with special effects.)

Philharmagic (3D show-which are always awesome-I like it just from clips I’ve seen)

Spectromagic parade (nighttime parade of lights)

Wishes Fireworks (replaced Fantasy in the Sky-I have heard it is incredible and already love it from the pictures and video clips that I’ve seen-mixing lasers, beautiful fireworks, and heartwarming character narration).

Epcot—

Ellen’s Energy Adventure (easily accessible-cute Jeapordy style beginning that then takes you back in time to Dinosaurs)

Journey Into Your Imagination (easily accessible-really cute/fun ride with a fully accessible interactive special effects playground afterwards)

Living with the Land (informational tour about various climates and agriculture)

El Rio Del Tiempo (accessible-boat ride tour of Mexico)

The Living Seas (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access. At your own pace viewing of a live sea aquarium and the new Crush attraction)

The World Showcase (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access)

Street shows are hard to see unless you arrive a little early to sit in front

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows (including Innoventions) are wheelchair accessible (*note: The Kid cot fun stop crafts will be difficult to do unless you have a tray on your wheelchair because the table and chairs are low and the supplies are scattered)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave-- nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Shows I recommend:

Honey! I Shrunk the Audience-3D (awesome multisensory adventure with a 3D movie as well as a moving stage-you can feel the effects while in your chair-and incorporates the ‘feel’ sense)

Cranium Command (funny and cute story that portrays the job of a ‘brain pilot’ that tries to control the different organs/body systems of a 12 year old boy throughout his day-really funny)

Some areas of Innoventions are fun

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth—incredible nighttime show with lasers, fireworks, music, and a global earth ball promoting harmony through a heartwarming, fantastic display.

MGM Studios—

Great Movie Ride (note-this ride doesn't fit longer wheelchairs-my standard electric wheelchair didn't fit and I had to ride sideways-the manual wheels may make it fit)

Shows I recommend (MGM has a lot of good shows):

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (live action awesome show)
Sounds Dangerous (special show that relies almost completely on hearing with incredible effects)

Voyage of the Little Mermaid (play type show with characters, puppets, props, laser lights, and occasionally a fine mist to create the effect of being underwater. A great place to cool off)

Muppet Vision 3D (cute 3D show with feeling thrown in through water sprays, etc. The pre-show is also good)

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (based on the hit show with a chance to get in the hot seat to play for merchandise and a cruise. People in wheelchairs sit in cut out spots in the front. Note: the controllers are kinda heavy and the buttons are stiff-someone else had to help me)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Fantasmic-(The best nighttime/overall show. Note: Use the wheelchair seats in the back and arrive 2 hours to get a good seat)

Animal Kingdom:
Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-I didn’t ride this)

Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)

Kilimanjaro Safaris (mild thrill ride with a guide that drives you through authentic habitats to view real exotic animals-best experienced in the morning. Note: This ride is bumpy. You need to back in to the ride vehicle.)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible (*the Boneyard is not. *Conservation is listed as accessible but I didn’t visit it.)

All the nature trails are accessible and have beautiful wildlife. There are many exhibits-a few viewing areas are a little difficult to get to.

Shows I recommend:

Festival of the Lion King (ties with Fantasmic for best show-Incredible show with acrobats, fire blowers, animatronics-cannot miss)

Its Tough to Be a Bug-3D (multi-sensory show with animatronics as well as a 3D show. Note: a few effects will be missed if you’re not sitting in a chair, but I never transferred and fully enjoyed the show-one of my favorites)

Flights of Wonder (bird stunt/aerial flying)

I only transferred to rides when I was younger and stronger. The last trip I didn’t transfer to any rides and still had a fabulous, magical trip with the plentiful wheelchair accessible rides and awesome shows. Always carefully weigh out the risks of transferring.

One ride that you should definately transfer to is Soarin' at Epcot. You can drive your wheelchair right up to the seat and easily transfer using your method. With two people supporting me, even I was able to ride. Best ride ever!

Christamae

Thank you for the great advice EternalDisneyFan. I will print that one out for sure. :cool1:

eternaldisneyfan said:
Magic Kingdom---

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: (note-this ride doesn't fit longer wheelchairs-my standard electric wheelchair didn't fit-the manual wheels may make it fit, and the shooter is hard to reach, especially with contractures)
note: some electric wheelchairs will fit. my Jazzy 1103 fits fine

Stitches Great Escape (note-the bars that come down on the shoulders could be painful, especially if they are drawn up like mine-I haven’t ridden it)
note: the bars do not have to come all the way down and the castmember can adjust them for you but you need to inform them

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Takes you through several classic scenes-awesome-easy access)
it’s a small world (easy access)

Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)

Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, their are scenes along the way. I am not sure if all stops are accessible so get on at Main Street)

note: there is only one specially equipped boat so you may need to wait but it is fully accessible

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (too short for some chairs)

Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are impossible for wheelchairs (you can do a roundtrip on the raft that goes to Tom Sawyer Island)

note: ALL parades have special wheelchair seating at Liberty Square across from the Hall of the Presisdents, at the Hub near the castle and at the circle at the beginning of Main Street. Shows at the Castle do not have wheelcahir seating. Wishes doesn't have wheelchair seating. Shows at Tomorrowland Stage do have wheelchair seating.
Shows I recommend:

Time Keeper (360 degree imaging with awesome Animatronics that take you on a time-travel adventure fraught with danger and comedy)
Seasonal, not always open
Carousel of Progress (the classic tale following an animatronic family through different eras of invention)
Seasonal, not always open
Enchanted Tiki Room (‘Under New Management’ by Zazu and Iago creating a cute, funny adventure-mild danger- with special effects.)

Philharmagic (3D show-which are always awesome-I like it just from clips I’ve seen)

Spectromagic parade (nighttime parade of lights)

Wishes Fireworks (replaced Fantasy in the Sky-I have heard it is incredible and already love it from the pictures and video clips that I’ve seen-mixing lasers, beautiful fireworks, and heartwarming character narration).

Epcot—

Ellen’s Energy Adventure (easily accessible-cute Jeapordy style beginning that then takes you back in time to Dinosaurs)

Journey Into Your Imagination (easily accessible-really cute/fun ride with a fully accessible interactive special effects playground afterwards)

Living with the Land (informational tour about various climates and agriculture)
accessible boat
El Rio Del Tiempo (accessible-boat ride tour of Mexico)

The Living Seas (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access. At your own pace viewing of a live sea aquarium and the new Crush attraction)

The World Showcase (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access)

Street shows are hard to see unless you arrive a little early to sit in front
In England get on the curb and you can see ok
All the Character Greeting Areas and shows (including Innoventions) are wheelchair accessible (*note: The Kid cot fun stop crafts will be difficult to do unless you have a tray on your wheelchair because the table and chairs are low and the supplies are scattered)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave-- nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait
Areas at the International Gateway and between Germany and Italy
Shows I recommend:

Honey! I Shrunk the Audience-3D (awesome multisensory adventure with a 3D movie as well as a moving stage-you can feel the effects while in your chair-and incorporates the ‘feel’ sense)
You miss some of the effects if you remain in your wheelchair but get most of them
Cranium Command (funny and cute story that portrays the job of a ‘brain pilot’ that tries to control the different organs/body systems of a 12 year old boy throughout his day-really funny)

Some areas of Innoventions are fun

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth—incredible nighttime show with lasers, fireworks, music, and a global earth ball promoting harmony through a heartwarming, fantastic display.

MGM Studios—

Great Movie Ride (note-this ride doesn't fit longer wheelchairs-my standard electric wheelchair didn't fit and I had to ride sideways-the manual wheels may make it fit)
depends on the wheelchair. Jazzy 1103 fits

Backstage Tour - Accessible vehicle

Shows I recommend (MGM has a lot of good shows):

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (live action awesome show)
You will be seated behind the back row
Sounds Dangerous (special show that relies almost completely on hearing with incredible effects)

Voyage of the Little Mermaid (play type show with characters, puppets, props, laser lights, and occasionally a fine mist to create the effect of being underwater. A great place to cool off)

Muppet Vision 3D (cute 3D show with feeling thrown in through water sprays, etc. The pre-show is also good)

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (based on the hit show with a chance to get in the hot seat to play for merchandise and a cruise. People in wheelchairs sit in cut out spots in the front. Note: the controllers are kinda heavy and the buttons are stiff-someone else had to help me)

Fantasmic-(The best nighttime/overall show. Note: Use the wheelchair seats in the back and arrive 2 hours to get a good seat)
there are also a few wheelchair places in the front to the far left. I would not reccommend them for power chair users because of the possibility of becoming wet.
Animal Kingdom:
Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-I didn’t ride this)
Accessible spots on train. You need to back in place.
Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)

Kilimanjaro Safaris (mild thrill ride with a guide that drives you through authentic habitats to view real exotic animals-best experienced in the morning. Note: This ride is bumpy. You need to back in to the ride vehicle.)
Depends on your wheelchair. I didn't need to back in to the vehicle
All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible (*the Boneyard is not. *Conservation is listed as accessible but I didn’t visit it.)
parts of the Boneyard are accessible
All the nature trails are accessible and have beautiful wildlife. There are many exhibits-a few viewing areas are a little difficult to get to.
enclosed viewing areas have heavy doors. Tigers best view is impossible to get to in a wheelchair
Shows I recommend:

Festival of the Lion King (ties with Fantasmic for best show-Incredible show with acrobats, fire blowers, animatronics-cannot miss)

Its Tough to Be a Bug-3D (multi-sensory show with animatronics as well as a 3D show. Note: a few effects will be missed if you’re not sitting in a chair, but I never transferred and fully enjoyed the show-one of my favorites)

Flights of Wonder (bird stunt/aerial flying)

I only transferred to rides when I was younger and stronger. The last trip I didn’t transfer to any rides and still had a fabulous, magical trip with the plentiful wheelchair accessible rides and awesome shows. Always carefully weigh out the risks of transferring.

One ride that you should definately transfer to is Soarin' at Epcot. You can drive your wheelchair right up to the seat and easily transfer using your method. With two people supporting me, even I was able to ride. Best ride ever!

Christamae

Have a great trip

I wonder why all rides cannot be made the way Journey Into Your Imagination is? I was so impressed with the way this ride loads. I think someone should design w/c vans with this type of device. For those of you who don't know, its kind of like a circle cut out on the floor and you drive on to it and then they spin you so you face forward. Boy this would be great in your van. It takes my DH a many trys to get his chair to face forward once in enters out van.
Anyway I found it to be the most easily accessed ride.
By the way my DH has a large tilt chair and he fit Buzz and Great Movie ride.

eternaldisneyfan said:

Excellent, informative post EternalDisneyFan! Thank you for doing the research!

Okay, I have been on The Jungle Cruise since it was converted. The driver described it as three ride in one, I'll try to remember what he said while I type this.

There is one boat which can accommodate a Guest in a wheelchair, no issues with your husband stepping in any direction. He will ride up a (temporarily placed) ramp, or you will wheel him up - may have to go backwards. Once he's locked in place, the wheelchair platform rotates to face the front of the boat, then the driver lowers it so it's at floor level, aka same level as all the other passengers.

I forget to what the driver compared the first part of the "ride", the one where the platform turns, but he likened the lowering to Tower of Terror (no worries, it's SLOW) and of course the third part of the ride was the actual Jungle Cruise.

You can do this pivot method at Soarin'. There is a lot of room in the front row to maneuver.

You HAVE to ride it- it was the best ride all week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter