Which resort is a never or never again for you?

The last resort we stayed at- The Riviera. My daughter loved it, I intensely disliked it. I thought the rooms were more like a convention center and while the huge bathroom area is nice, it cuts way down on the living area- storage was virtually non-existent. The walk from our room to anything was the longest walk I've ever had. We got none of our room requests (a first for us) and actually it was exactly the opposite of anything we asked for- wrong side of the resort, not close to elevators, a mile away from transportation. Even when we asked to be switched, it did no good at all. They had nothing that met anything we asked for. The view was meh at best. The pool is exceptionally boring and all in all, just not my kind of place. I really wanted to love it, but for the price, I didn't- I wouldn't have liked it at any price. I also rule out any value resort other than Art of Animation. I'm sticking with my favorites from now on - POR, Beach/Yacht Cl and Wilderness Lodge.

I haven't revisited the thread for a while and find it interesting what a range of opinions there are.

I rather thought, unsurprisingly, that there'd be never-Value folks or never-Deluxe (that one for the obvious reason, cost). Didn't expect to see so many who dislike various Moderates.

Thanks again, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. I expect they're helpful for people considering a different level of stay in particular. No one wants a disappointing stay, and the promos and video tours can't convey things like moldy smells and other factors that only someone who's put up with them for a long stay can describe.

It could be especially upsetting to book a Value stay for the colorful theming to thrill kids/grands only to find the furnishings look and feel cheap. Or saving for an extra-special Mod or Deluxe stay and ending up hating the resort.

Nothing like firsthand experience to give a real-life view on what a resort is truly like.

Old Key West studio. First DVC stay and actually started to regret my purchase. Did not like the odd L-shape configuration of the studio & decided outside entryways were not for us anymore.

Beach Club. When we stayed it was dated and showed visible wear and tear. Both hot tubs in Stormalong Bay were not hot and needed a new heating element that, according to maintenance was on back order. Our room was near an elevator and we could hear the thing operating through the paper thin walls. For a premium price I expect a premium experience and this was closer to an older Best Western.

Never again - Hilton LBV - it was during its bad phase 2009ish, I was staying on points so it was free but it still felt it was overpriced. The beds were made up of multiple old sheets that fell apart in 5 minutes and the place was dirty.

Never - Contemporary ( not BLT I have not tried that) I don't like the noise.

I am a Swolfin person, but that was when it was a Starwood property - I will see if Mariott is a positive or negative change.

The last resort we stayed at- The Riviera. My daughter loved it, I intensely disliked it. I thought the rooms were more like a convention center...
My impression exactly! DH loves it and wants to stay there for an arrival one-nighter sometime.

We only roamed about lobby and gift shop while waiting to go up for dinner at Topolino's, so I've no idea of the rooms other than from watching video tours. I was unimpressed by the lobby decor--stark, boringly neutral colors and surprisingly uncomfortable sofas. And one measly gift shop for a resort suggesting the Riviera? Ya gotta be kidding me.

To be fair, maybe I'm simply spoiled by the multiple GF shops. After all, the other DVC resorts have only one gift shop, even WL with 2 DVC associations, BRV and CCV.

That's not it entirely, though. As attractive as Riviera's exterior is, I can't figure why the halls and public areas are done mostly in grays and black. Screams "convention center" to me, too.

I stayed offsite as a teenager - probably never again for that… but I could be wrong.

As an adult (with kids) we’ve only ever stayed at poly. Now that they’re getting older I wonder if the Epcot area resorts make more sense.

I also love a hotel with theming… and definitely do not feel fancy enough for the GF

I'm afraid most of that could have happened at any Disney resort.

None of the phones at any of the Disney resorts actually connects with the front desk.
True, but POR is the only resort where that’s happened to us in all our years at WDW. Also, when we have a problem that requires the help of the front desk at a deluxe, it is always within walking distance. I feel that a resort so sprawling needs a way to contact the front desk without having to drive or take a bus.

True, but POR is the only resort where that’s happened to us in all our years at WDW. Also, when we have a problem that requires the help of the front desk at a deluxe, it is always within walking distance. I feel that a resort so sprawling needs a way to contact the front desk without having to drive or take a bus.
Oh I’m no fan of the moderates for that reason. But you listed not being able to actually call the front desk and that is the case at all of them.

....I also love a hotel with theming… and definitely do not feel fancy enough for the GF
....well, here's a great tip for you: "Keep your pinky finger out when sipping tea." That ought to do it...:teeth:

Old Key West studio. First DVC stay and actually started to regret my purchase. Did not like the odd L-shape configuration of the studio & decided outside entryways were not for us anymore.
....which is why I only stay at Deluxe resorts...except the Poly - been there, done that. I didn't like having to go to the Great Ceremonial House in the rain all the time.

Never Again:
(1) Swan. For me, it was like being in any hotel in any city anywhere in the US. I want to be at Disney when I'm at Disney. Fortunately, I was able to switch to AKL so spent only 2 nights of a 9-night trip at the Swan.

(2) ASMusic. I had hardly any sleep there because of the paper-thin walls--not helped by having a connecting door. it was as though the couple and their baby in the next room were in my room, since I could hear all their conversations and, uh, activities. Not to mention the constantly crying baby. After walking 10+ miles a day I need to sleep at night. So, never again. Which leads me to:

Never:
(1) Any All Stars. See ASMusic above.
(2) Dolphin. See Swan above.
(3) CBR. It just doesn't appeal to me in the least.

There are other resorts where I'll probably never stay but it's not impossible that I would, so I won't rule them out.
....I totes agree with all you've posted. You obviously have great taste and are very intelligent. ;) [ :thumbsup2 ]

....which is why I only stay at Deluxe resorts...except the Poly - been there, done that. I didn't like having to go to the Great Ceremonial House in the rain all the time.
So I think we got spoiled with the Poly. We had gotten upgraded to Club Level, which I thought was AMAZING. And the Hawaii building was a really great location, plus being CL we had everything we needed right in the building. I wonder if I would like it as much not staying CL

So I think we got spoiled with the Poly. We had gotten upgraded to Club Level, which I thought was AMAZING. And the Hawaii building was a really great location, plus being CL we had everything we needed right in the building. I wonder if I would like it as much not staying CL
...wow, consider yourself lucky! We were in Pago Pago, which was so far from EVERYTHING. And, it seemed like every time we ventured out [whether to go to a park, get food, refill mugs, etc.] it was always misting or raining, or very windy or SOMETHING. I love the vibe of the Poly, but it's my opinion that Deluxes should have indoor corridors...

Poly. Might be an unpopular opinion but the monorail was down for both of our MK days in the morning so we ended up on a bus. Also couldn't get coffee before 7am in our mugs on our AK day. I would also really like a 1BR vs a studio. Maybe it will happen with the new tower. Would much rather be at a Deluxe where we can walk to parks if the monorail has a bad day.
You can walk from Poly to MK now. It is a bit long, but a nice walk.

I didn’t care for these rooms either. It just felt like a regular old hotel room and not DVC. The rest of the resort was fine and we particularly liked the rocking chairs. I did snag a studio here as a quick add on at the front of our November trip though. It’ll be fine as a place to lay our heads for one night before moving on to Copper Creek. Hard to ignore that point chart!

This is a fun thread. Staying mostly in DVC resorts adds a layer of difficulty to decide which would be a never again because of room size/categories. An example being an OWW studio not near hospitality house being my least favorite but a 1 or 2 bedroom near hospitality house would be near the top of my list.

I tend to like resorts where I know ahead of time a general area where the room is located. If I get a savanna view at Kidani I may be a mile away from everything but if I get a lake view at Poly I know it will be on one side of one building and can plan accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter