Where do you buy furniture?

We just ordered new stuff from Lazy Boy. Pricey but it was so much more comfortable than any other stuff we sat on. They are running on a 14 week ordering timeline though, and my current stuff is on its last legs. Can’t wait for it to come in, it’s been 4 weeks so far!
[/Q
We just ordered new stuff from Lazy Boy. Pricey but it was so much more comfortable than any other stuff we sat on. They are running on a 14 week ordering timeline though, and my current stuff is on its last legs. Can’t wait for it to come in, it’s been 4 weeks so far!
It’s been 10 weeks for us so far. 😬

It’s been 10 weeks for us so far. 😬

I’m hoping to have ours by the end of the year but we will see! Not sure if they manufacture here in Canada or if they make in the USA and then bring it up here or what, but things have been so backed up in so many sectors I’m not surprised it’s going to take so long. I just wish it WASN'T taking so long!

We bought direct from NC in one of the "in stock" clearance centers when we lived in NC

Other places we've bought from:
Ashley (sleeper sofa)
Rooms to Go (sectional, coffee table)
Ikea (tables, chairs, bookcases)
Wayfair (headboard, desk, upholstered chair)
Target (barstools, side tables, storage)
Amazon (headboards, occasional tables)

We just ordered a leather set from Florida Leather Gallery after looking at 4 million pieces online and in person. Their prices were great, service was fantastic, and it's made to order. Will be here in 10 weeks.

We almost bought from Costco but after looking at the swatches, didn't love the leather color. They often have great sets in store but their online selection is great, too. FL Leather Gallery ended up being about the same price as Costco but I got to sit on it and look at all the leather samples in person.

We also looked at Article, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Joybird, Poly and Bark, and Burrow.

Local outfit near us, Johnny Janosik. I can't buy anything online only - I've got to be able to see it, sit on it. Get a feel for it.

I’m hoping to have ours by the end of the year but we will see! Not sure if they manufacture here in Canada or if they make in the USA and then bring it up here or what, but things have been so backed up in so many sectors I’m not surprised it’s going to take so long. I just wish it WASN'T taking so long!
I’m hoping they don’t call me for at least a couple more weeks now because we bought a new house and are moving. That way they can move the queen sleeper sofa and we don’t have to! 😃

We buy from a variety of places. We have furniture we bought from IKEA and World Market in 2003 that's still going strong. That includes an IKEA master bedroom set that's in our guest bedroom in our current house, IKEA bookcases that have survived 3 moves without a problem and still look great, and a solid wood dining room set and bar cabinets from World Market. The dining table is a work table in my office now and is built like a brick. We also have furniture from Nebraska Furniture Mart, local furniture stores, Ethan Allen (custom leather swivel chair), Room and Board (sofa), Anthropologie (sofa), and a local import store in the Design District.

One thing I highly recommend is finding a good, affordable upholsterer. If you're willing to put in the legwork and extra effort, you can sometimes recreate the look of expensive furniture for much less. Several years ago, I fell in love with some very expensive carved chairs at Ethan Allen that I couldn't afford. I was able to find well made similar chairs at a used furniture store for dirt cheap because the upholstery was torn. I didn't care because I didn't like the fabric anyways. I took them to my upholsterer and got them rebuilt and reupholstered. Both chairs ended up costing less than one chair from Ethan Allen. Last year, the same thing happened. Again, I fell in love with some extremely expensive wicker and wood chairs from Ethan Allen. They only had two rectangular cushions. We were able to find some similar chairs sitting outside at a local import store in the Design District. The cushions were stained because they had been sitting outside without any protection so we got them to drop the price. It's much easier to negotiate at local stores than at chain stores. I had brand new cushions made in high-end upholstery fabric at the upholsterers and, once again, got two chairs for less than the cost of one Ethan Allen chair.

Another strategy I have is to be patient. I scout out what I want and wait for a sale. When we moved into our current home last year I didn't have enough storage in the kitchen. I found the perfect stand-alone pantry at Ballard but it was very expensive. I made do and waited until it went on sale before I purchased it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter