• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do you buy furniture?

All of our major furniture (living room, dining room, bedrooms) are from Raymour or Ashley. DDs bedroom is from ikea because she wanted that sleek white look. We really tried talking her out of it because we despise putting their stuff together but she wasn’t having it. I do have some accent pieces from ikea or amazon like our sofa table or a bookshelf.

I must say I really love raymour but Ashley’s customer service seems to suck for us. We constantly have to ask them when the stuff is coming. They forget to call us. It takes weeks for the furniture to come in versus raymour 72 hour guarantee. We just had a sofa for our finished garage come in from Ashley and they never called us the day before with a time estimate even after I called and they told me they’d be calling. Luckily we were home when they showed up. This has happened twice now.

Last edited:
I always buy my furniture at IKEA, and it has been a while since I last bought one for the house. Maybe I should go tomorrow.

When we moved into the last house, we did go down to N.C. to look around. I know we bought a large, expanding oak kitchen Table and chairs, two bedroom sets, end tables and a four piece wall unit there. Already had a living room set, from Macys, and a bedroom set and a dining room set from local furniture stores/chains.

I did also get some garage shelving and bookcases from ikea.

We were fortunate to have some good local stores and small furniture chains around, though a couple of those closed up over the years.

More recently a relative who was looking went to La Z Boy, Bobs, Raymour and Flannigan, Ikea, and Mealys. They ended up with a mattress from Bob’s, a recliner/sofa/chaise combo from La Z Boy, living room tv and end tables from Ikea, and a bedroom set from Mealys (but their local store closed, and I am not sure about the rest of that chain).

:goodvibes I'd need you to post pictures of your stuff before I could agree with your second statement.

I think it depends on whether you are the type of person who wants to decorate with the latest trends or not. Nothing wrong with doing that, and nothing wrong with not doing that either. Our house has everything from antiques to about nine years old, but everything is simple and solid. We don’t get into trendy colors or styles. There’s nothing wrong with being trendy, but it does mean you have to decorate more often with more new pieces. We don’t buy new unless the old wears out, and that doesn’t happen often. You won’t walk into our house and think it’s stuck in any particular era or theme. It’s just an eclectic mix of functional pieces.

As far as where to buy, the last few pieces we have purchased at Ashley and Hudson’s.

We replaced our couch and chairs last year. Our previous couch was made by Flexsteel and we bought it used and it lasted well over 10 years and still in great condition. We gave it to family members. We purchased our living room from a local consignment furniture store. The furniture in that store is of excellent quality. Paid $900 for a leather recliner sofa and 2 La-Z-Boy recliners.

I shopped everything local this summer for a couch and really could not find what I wanted. I ended up buying a couch on-line from Costco and it worked out great. It seems like great quality so far.

They do usually have sectionals in stock if you can get to a Costco to check them out. They have a wider variety in January. If you order on-line, the shipping is included in the cost.

I second Costco! Great quality with 100% money back guaranteed satisfaction. They also have a price match guarantee. If it goes on sale after you purchase it, they match the price.

My son got a bedroom set from there. Looks great and great quality.

Costco stands by what they sell!

We replaced our couch and chairs last year. Our previous couch was made by Flexsteel and we bought it used and it lasted well over 10 years and still in great condition. We gave it to family members. We purchased our living room from a local consignment furniture store. The furniture in that store is of excellent quality. Paid $900 for a leather recliner sofa and 2 La-Z-Boy recliners.
Great deal! The chairs alone would have run you more than that new. :thumbsup2

IKEA. I have dogs. They end up destroying nice things. IKEA furniture is cheap enough to throw away that I don't feel bad replacing it when new puppies destroy them. I don't buy my mattress from them.

It really really depends upon what you want and how long you want it to last. Like TV guy I've got a bunch of hand me down furniture, bureaus, a bed, side tables, etc. I had more but replaced some of it recently as it just didn't fit the aesthetic I was going for. This summer we renovated the house (new paint, floors, kitchen, bath) and I wanted a mostly new look. We got a new couch at the local furniture as well as matching end tables. Bed and night stands and a few other pieces came from Jordan's Furniture, which is a regional chain. But the rest - well, FB marketplace and craigslist and antique stores. Second hand I got a maple Haywood Wakefield bureau, a Maple Ethan Allen desk and mahogany Ethan Allen bureau and an antique Oak dresser, plus a solid cherry Canadel table. All in excellent condition. Total cost for all five pieces - less than $1,000.

We just ordered new stuff from Lazy Boy. Pricey but it was so much more comfortable than any other stuff we sat on. They are running on a 14 week ordering timeline though, and my current stuff is on its last legs. Can’t wait for it to come in, it’s been 4 weeks so far!

Most of our purchases have been from a local furniture store. Our dining room was from a Sear's furniture store 20+ years ago. When we moved to our current home we bought bedroom set from Raymour & Flannigan. Finally had room for a king bed & I wanted the furniture to match. We also have a LL Bean futon & some bookcases.

Well, I live in North Carolina, so we're spoiled for choice. And I'll be honest, before we moved here, I had heard about quality furniture from NC, blah, blah, blah--never took it very seriously. Then, once we moved down, we needed a new bed for the master bedroom. We went to a custom furniture place, literally around the corner from our house. Wow. It truly was custom, and made to order, even though it was all wood, versus picking the fabric on a sofa. Let me tell you, that bed is gorgeous. And solid! It's a massive piece--king sized, platform bed with a tower on either side, pull-out drawers and shelves, mirrored back with lighting. Very fancy!

I've heard of people making pilgrimages to NC just to get furniture, and I've also heard of people ordering it to be delivered. I don't know that I'd be comfortable with the latter, depending on the size of the purchase involved.

Besides the bed, most of our furniture was picked up at standard furniture stores--serviceable, but nothing special. However, we do have a few other, special pieces. DH's mother's father was an upholsterer, and we have several chairs that he made. We acquired them when MIL went into assisted living. Our couch was designed specifically for my FIL. This furniture will be around, long after I'm gone. We have a chair for each of our children, then DS23 has claimed the couch--he's the same height his grandfather was, while DS14 is 2" taller and still growing. Someone will inherit the matching ottoman from hell--seriously, if you stub a bare toe on that thing, you'll be in tears. I don't know what the carved legs are made out of--titanium, maybe? Ouch!

So, OP, I don't know how much that helps.

I wanted a custom headboard because I love the look of the fabric style headboards but woven fabric headboards squick me out.

Haverty’s works with some company in NC and called their rep to do a custom navy leather headboard for me and it’s amazing. It was not cheap, but it’s such high quality!

over the years from a variety of stores no longer around (long gone chains, jc penny when they carried some). most recently we bought solid wood coffee table and tv tables from 2 different places (matched amazing well) but did research on the brands of each after we saw them to determine quality before buying. got our lazy boy from an authorized dealer (after researching which of the dealers around us had the better customer service reputation). 2 tips i learned working many years ago in a furniture store-(1) if you fall in love with an item and the store says it's 'exclusive' to them from the manufacturer ask what the name of the item is/manufacturer then go home and call other chain stores local to you to find out if it's entirely exclusive to the other store or just withing a so many mile radius of the other store. most times-it's the so many mile rule. if that's the case the other chains may be able to have one of their more distant stores sell it and order it for you at a much reduced price and arrange for the item to be delivered to your local store for delivery to you, (2) if you are going to get a more spendy item of furniture (like a lazy boy sectional) that you hope to use for years and years-look into ordering along with the item a few yards of the upholstery fabric 'from the same fabric run'. reason being-most people have their designated spot to sit on a sofa so that fabric wears out faster than the rest. it's much less expensive to have one seat cushion or back repadded and reupholstered than the entire piece (the fabric isn't cheap but getting it from the same run/at the same time guarantees a match to what is on your item).

Years ago there was a special Sears clearance outlet really close where I live - it was in Richmond, California

OMG-i had a friend who LOVED that place. she owned rental properties and always got her large appliances there. she loved the prices she could get on the previous year's floor models.

I second Costco! Great quality with 100% money back guaranteed satisfaction. They also have a price match guarantee. If it goes on sale after you purchase it, they match the price.

My son got a bedroom set from there. Looks great and great quality.

Costco stands by what they sell!

costco is good but if it has to be ordered or you purchase it online then you have to read the fine print on delivery carefully b/c with many of their larger items their contracted shippers will only deliver to your driveway so unless you have a furniture dolly and the ability to get it into the house where you want it you're up for a challenge.

I'm the opposite - I have no desire for furniture that will last forever. I like to change it up once in a while when I redecorate or when we move, so "investment pieces" are out. There are several national furniture chains here that carry reasonably-priced, fashionable merchandise and every set we've had has come from one of them. We've been married 25 years and are on our 4th set of living room furniture. Prices change over time but our current couch and love seat cost $1,200 for the set.

I'm getting the itch to freshen things up again as it's been 6 years and decor trends have really changed. We always pass our outgoing stuff down to friends or family. Our one and only set of (expensive) La-Z-Boy motion furniture was purchased in 2006 and used by us for 4 years. As far as I know it's now in it's 3rd home and still in very decent shape, so the quality is definitely there.
I agree I would not invest in long term furniture unless it was a craftsman made piece of wood furniture ( a table, cabinet, display etc...)... anything soft ssuch chairs or couches simply by low end by price but high end by style...

My SIL spent over 5 grand on a new sectional and already after 3 years you can see where she and he have their evening spots in it, sunken in and color fading... so not worth the money.. our sectional was maybe 1200 and from shape held for 10 years, but fabric is disgusting.. we got a creme microfabric ( why ??)... been meaning to toss for 5 years now ,but other house items have taken priority.
My DH and I always argue he leans more " that is crap if so cheap and quality is reflected in price".. Well not always and honestly I would rather toss a couch every 5-7 years and have a new, clean one showing no use.

When we moved during the summer, we needed to replace our living room set and get some new shelves and TV stands. Our living room set came from Rooms To Go, and then for a while, there was a mountain of Ikea boxes in the garage.

I agree I would not invest in long term furniture unless it was a craftsman made piece of wood furniture ( a table, cabinet, display etc...)... anything soft ssuch chairs or couches simply by low end by price but high end by style...

My SIL spent over 5 grand on a new sectional and already after 3 years you can see where she and he have their evening spots in it, sunken in and color fading... so not worth the money.. our sectional was maybe 1200 and from shape held for 10 years, but fabric is disgusting.. we got a creme microfabric ( why ??)... been meaning to toss for 5 years now ,but other house items have taken priority.
My DH and I always argue he leans more " that is crap if so cheap and quality is reflected in price".. Well not always and honestly I would rather toss a couch every 5-7 years and have a new, clean one showing no use.
Yuck - I hate that. Being as we buy less-expensive pieces and always upholstery (I greatly dislike leather seating) I am always careful to choose something with removable cushions. I watch them like a hawk and rotate them regularly to keep the wear even and faithfully steam clean them once a year. Our current set is one of the oldest we’ve ever had and we had the foam in the seating replaced about 3 years ago to extend its life.

Raymour
Macys
Ashley
Pieces from Overstock & Home Goods

People I know have also bought from Bob's, Costco, Overstock & Wayfair just to name a few

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter