When will trip be Guaranteed?

DizMagic

DIS Veteran
We are booked on the adults only Alaskan adventure for this coming August. It is currently not listed on the Guarantee Departure list. When might I expect confirmation that the trip is a "go"? I would like to go ahead and start booking air and other arrangements. Ies, i am a bit of a pre-planner (and maybe just a little excited too).

Sorry to say, but there's no guarantee it ever will be. ABD reserves the right to cancel a trip up until the day they depart. Here's the wording from ABD's FAQ:

We reserve the right to cancel a trip at any time prior to its commencement for any reason, such as if there are too few Guests, or if the quality of the trip or the safety of the Guests would, in our opinion, be compromised, such as may result from unforeseen circumstances (acts of God) or other circumstances beyond our reasonable control.
Some trips are being Guaranteed, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern or rules (that we know of) as to which get Guaranteed or when it might occur. It's one of the policies that's driving a lot of folks away (even some of us who really LOVE the product).

Best thing I can suggest is to book your airfare through ABD (they'll book pretty much anything you want them to) so that if your trip is cancelled, it's easier to get changes paid for (if you re-book) or a refund (if you can't).

That said, it's a FABULOUS trip! I really love Alaska, and ABD has a really nice itinerary.

Sayhello

do you know if ABD can apply skymiles as payment? That would be only thing that would prevent me from booking through them, opposed to directly with airline.

I do not believe that ABD can use your skymiles in your booking. I can be wrong? If so please someone correct me. I got "stuck" with tickets for Italy when ABD cancelled pretty close to the date....and ABD will not reimburse you for any charges incurred by booking on your own......still very touchy subject.

do you know if ABD can apply skymiles as payment? That would be only thing that would prevent me from booking through them, opposed to directly with airline.
I believe carpenta is correct, and ABD cannot book airfare using frequent flyer miles (like Skymiles). But I'd call ABD and ask them to be sure.

I do not believe that ABD can use your skymiles in your booking. I can be wrong? If so please someone correct me. I got "stuck" with tickets for Italy when ABD cancelled pretty close to the date....and ABD will not reimburse you for any charges incurred by booking on your own......still very touchy subject.
I'm so sorry for what happened to you when your trip was cancelled. I really am shocked at how it was handled (especially at such a late date). But you cancelled the trip altogether, though, right? I still think they should have reimbursed you, but I just want others to know that ABD *will* pay for re-booking charges if you book your airfare yourself, and then have to change your flights if your trip is cancelled and you re-book on a different departure (they did that for me). I still think they should reimburse irregardless of the circumstances, but obviously, they don't. :(

Sayhello

I find this policy of not "confirming" their trips incredibly frustrating.

I asked Abercrombie and Kent (for an African Safari we are very seriously considering with them) when their trips are confirmed and they said when they have 2 or more guests booked on the trip it is confirmed.

I book airfare for my travels 9 - 10 months in advance. I think it's completely normal to do this (at least in Canada where generally the closer to the date the trip is the higher the cost of the airfare -- at least for the major carrier, Air Canada).

Is this policy (of not "confirming" trips) unique to ABD? I have been asking companies we are looking at safaris with and none of them have any such policy.

There are some travel insurances that will cover the cost of putting theiles back I to your mileage account if you need to cancel your flight. That may be something to look into.

I'm probably in the minority here but I go on the basis of "no news is good news" when it comes to whether or not a trip is going. If I don't hear from my TA about the trip being cancelled then I go on the basis that the trip is going.

I'm not on a guaranteed departure but I just heard from TA that one of our hotels has been changed so that tells me the trip is still going and I'm 8 months out. We are starting to look at airfares now and are waiting for a seat sale if possible because as *WDW*Groupie said, from Canada, you need to book as soon as something becomes available at a decent price. Europe usually goes on sale about 6 months before you want to fly.

Some trips are being Guaranteed, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern or rules (that we know of) as to which get Guaranteed or when it might occur. It's one of the policies that's driving a lot of folks away (even some of us who really LOVE the product).
Sayhello

Add me to this group. I have been a huge "salesperson" for ABD since we went on our first to Ireland way back in 2007 and love(d) the product. But with the recent deposit changes, the refusal to set and state reasonable guidelines for trip guarantees, and a disappointing cruise add-on last summer with an *enormous* group, I am no longer recommending them. My sister just asked me about ABD Alaska for her family of six, and although I've heard great things about the specific trip, I encouraged her to look at other tour groups. I did a recent trip with National Geographic and had a fabulous time--highly recommended. Ironically, I just received a brochure from AAA and they limit their groups to 16 also. I was going to do ABD China in 2017, but I'm looking at Thompson, AAA, and some others instead.

I did ask my TA when we booked last October and there were already 12 people (including the 2 of us) that had paid deposits. I am in the "i assume we will go" pot - but if the trip isn't officially guaranteed I just wanted to know what my options were for airfare refunds. We have purchased travel insurance, so maybe that will cover some of the costs that I hope I never need!

I did ask my TA when we booked last October and there were already 12 people (including the 2 of us) that had paid deposits. I am in the "i assume we will go" pot - but if the trip isn't officially guaranteed I just wanted to know what my options were for airfare refunds. We have purchased travel insurance, so maybe that will cover some of the costs that I hope I never need!
I would check your insurance, but those kinds of policies rarely cover default of the tour provider. I think they expect the tour provider to make good on that. I'd call the company your policy is with and ask them if something like ABD cancelling on you would be covered or not.

That said, I think 12 people (assuming no-one cancels) is definitely in the realm of most likely going. I've had a couple of Adults Only ABDs go with 14 people, and I'm pretty sure some other people have had them go with less. Adults only trips, which are generally during the "shoulder seasons" do tend to run with less people then the "regular" trips.

Sayhello

True life....ABD cancelled on me even though the trip was FULL and 90 days out.......I had purchased my own airfare and.....BINGO!!!!.....got stuck with them. NO REFUND from Disney....I was only looking for the $200.00 per ticket change fee.....NOPE.....NADA.....My T.A. was on the phone for hours and all he got was "well, they should have not purchased their own airfare.......I went to my trip insurance and you guessed it.......NOTHING.......$600.00 I had to pay.......either let ABD do the airfare or take an expensive chance.......Good Luck.

True life....ABD cancelled on me even though the trip was FULL and 90 days out.......I had purchased my own airfare and.....BINGO!!!!.....got stuck with them. NO REFUND from Disney....I was only looking for the $200.00 per ticket change fee.....NOPE.....NADA.....My T.A. was on the phone for hours and all he got was "well, they should have not purchased their own airfare.......I went to my trip insurance and you guessed it.......NOTHING.......$600.00 I had to pay.......either let ABD do the airfare or take an expensive chance.......Good Luck.
Just the change fee?? And they wouldn't pay that?? (I assume because you changed to a trip that was not theirs?) That is just sad and small.

Sayhello

Just the change fee?? And they wouldn't pay that?? (I assume because you changed to a trip that was not theirs?) That is just sad and small.

Sayhello
......................I thought the same thing............Happy New Year Sayhello.

True life....ABD cancelled on me even though the trip was FULL and 90 days out.......I had purchased my own airfare and.....BINGO!!!!.....got stuck with them. NO REFUND from Disney....I was only looking for the $200.00 per ticket change fee.....NOPE.....NADA.
....My T.A. was on the phone for hours and all he got was "well, they should have not purchased their own airfare.......I went to my trip insurance and you guessed it.......NOTHING.......$600.00 I had to pay.......either let ABD do the airfare or take an expensive chance.......Good Luck.

This is a very rare occurrence.

I realize it happened to you, but it's still a very rare occurrence.

...............since it "happened to" me and my family than I think that it is hard to believe I am / will be the only case and second people should be warned that this can occur.

...............since it "happened to" me and my family than I think that it is hard to believe I am / will be the only case and second people should be warned that this can occur.

I'm not disputing that it happened, so the quotation marks are unnecessary.

I book many, many guests on Adventures each year and work very closely with ABD. I have never had this happen to a guest.

My point is that this is very unusual.

When traveling, or planning to travel, things can and do go wrong. I'm sorry it happened to you. That is terrible, but hundreds and hundreds of people travel with Adventures By Disney without incident.

You can continue to warn people about this issue and I will continue to let them know that this is a very, very rare occurrence.

As a follow up I was just reading the ABD website and came across the following language regarding cancellation of trip by ABD and refunds on airfare (not purchased through ABD). This makes it seem like ABD will reimburse airline cancellation charges, if they cancel the trip. That is all I am concerned about, as I have NO intention of cancelling!!

"If we cancel your trip prior to its commencement because there are too few Guests: (i) We will attempt to rebook you on another departure of the same itinerary, subject to availability, and we will bear any reasonable airline rebooking charges; however, if we are unable to rebook you, we will issue a full refund of your land package price and plan (unless you have filed a claim); and (ii) if you booked airfare through us, we will issue a full refund of your airfare; and (iii) if you did not book airfare through us, we will reimburse you for your reasonable out-of-pocket (subject to proof) airline cancellation charges or, in the case of bookings using frequent flier miles, a reasonable cancellation service fee, provided you have exercised best efforts to mitigate such charges/fees; and (iv) the aforesaid payments and/or rebooking by us shall constitute a full settlement."

As a follow up I was just reading the ABD website and came across the following language regarding cancellation of trip by ABD and refunds on airfare (not purchased through ABD). This makes it seem like ABD will reimburse airline cancellation charges, if they cancel the trip. That is all I am concerned about, as I have NO intention of cancelling!!

"If we cancel your trip prior to its commencement because there are too few Guests: (i) We will attempt to rebook you on another departure of the same itinerary, subject to availability, and we will bear any reasonable airline rebooking charges; however, if we are unable to rebook you, we will issue a full refund of your land package price and plan (unless you have filed a claim); and (ii) if you booked airfare through us, we will issue a full refund of your airfare; and (iii) if you did not book airfare through us, we will reimburse you for your reasonable out-of-pocket (subject to proof) airline cancellation charges or, in the case of bookings using frequent flier miles, a reasonable cancellation service fee, provided you have exercised best efforts to mitigate such charges/fees; and (iv) the aforesaid payments and/or rebooking by us shall constitute a full settlement."

...................well they cancelled on me and did not reimburse my expenses........nothing........We (me and my travel agent) even pointed out THEIR policy and basically they told me to "go to H E double hockey sticks"........If it happened once it can happen again. Fore warned is Fore armed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter