What's the smallest commercial airport you've used?

Probably Lanai, HI. My hometown airport (Erie, PA), which I haven't flown out of since I was a kid, has now "expanded" to 7 gates, I think. Most folks just drive to Cleveland, Buffalo or Pittsburgh for flights, since most flights out of Erie just connect in one of those cities anyways.

Used to travel for business, to many small cities and rural areas within the US. Some of the smallest airports I can recall:
Bemidji, MI
Paducah, KY
Mosinee, WI
Roswell, NM

Minot International Airport - ND. It had 2 "gates", a small waiting area, was super tiny, and their only option for food/drink was basically a snack counter you'd find at a bowling alley.

Just thinking of the good old days when we were still flying. I'm not necessarily thinking of "charters" that might use general aviation airports, but real airports with security, gates, etc. I haven't really been to too many small airports around the US and the world, but I have been to a few. I don't mean the length of the runway, but the ground facilities for passengers. On my trips to Asia I've been to some tiny airports with less than 5 gates. Kona Airport might have been the smallest domestic airport I've been to.
Columbus, Georgia, maybe? My company always booked our travel thru this airport, which was really nice after 9/11, because security was so much easier to get thru (in a good way) than in Atlanta.

TF Green in Providence (really Warwick) back in the '80's. Pretty sure it's bigger now, but at the time I could walk there with my suitcase from my dorm.

Yeah, it's bigger now. That was the last airport I flew through before the pandemic. It now has 24 gates on two concourses, and the walk to the rental car garage is unreal. I think it's about 1/2 mile, all on elevated indoor walkways that twist and turn to avoid buildings.

Smallest I've been to lately is AEX (Alexandria, LA). It's part of what was once England AFB, and still exists primarily to serve an army training facility, Fort Polk. It has 4 gates (though 2 were added after I was last there), and 9 flights per day. The only destinations are Houston, Dallas, & Atlanta, yet it bills itself as Alexandria Int'l Airport, LOL.

Small commercial airports that I fly into: Jackson Hole, Kalispell, and Kauai. They’re all small airports relative to the much larger ones. But if you fly small planes, then you open up the door to even smaller ones.

wow-I have a list of itty bitty ones
Southwest Wyoming Regional-Rock Springs Wy
Yellowstone Regional-Cody, Wy
Lawton/Ft Sill-Lawton OK ( one flight morning, one at night closed except for two hours before until 15 minute after depature)
Laramie Regional-Laramie WY

Those are just the smallest of the small-when you live in the Rocky Mountain west small airports are a fact of life.

I've been to some airports in Asia where some gates opened to buses picking up passengers and then to where the planes were parked on the tarmac in designated areas.

We had to take a bus to/from our plane at Kai Tak in Hong Kong even though there were gates in the terminal building.

With gates, the only 2 airports I've been in was KPIT and KMPS. Flew once from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis, then on a twin prop to a small airport (no gates) in South Dakota. Then flew back.

Pullman, Washington. Two gates, which really just meant two doors on ground level to walk out to the staircase to the plane. Iirc the entire operation was in one big room, with one area fenced off as past security. This was 20 years ago so may have changed.

I currently live in Pullman and just wanted to let you know that - No, it hasn't changed :-), although they have just redone the runway so the flights that used to get cancelled by low cloud cover can now land. They are in the process of planning a new terminal, so maybe soon it will be upgraded, but still small!

There were a few airports where I researched them. The Charles Schultz Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa has a single baggage claim area and I think two gates.

Santa Rosa for me. But I regularly fly out of this airport to Sea-Tac and LAX. Single baggage claim that is in the lobby. Single security and by gates they mean doors you walk out to go to the tarmac and up the ramp to the plane 🤣 They do have rental cars there too. Oh and a decent restaurant.

It is by far the easiest airport I’ve ever flown in/out of. They unfortunately don’t have a ton of flights (although it’s growing), but thankfully most of my work trips are to Seattle, so it’s perfect.

New Haven, CT. Pretty sure two “gates”. One small waiting room.

Barra Airport. Scotland. Technically it has 3 runways. But they're all on the beach and only exposed during low tide. The baggage claim was a table under a cover on an exterior porch. The Cafe ticketing and everything are in one room. There are no ordinary flights at night but in an emergency at low tide they can fly you out. They use the mini pick up truck thing they bring the luggage to the table in and other vehicle headlights.

Flew from Arnold Palmer Airport to Islip Airport for a business trip, that was the smallest airports and the tiniest planes I've flown on and I will not be flying like that again! Somehow you feel more expendable/more likely to die when you are only sharing a plane with 24 other people. Like, when I board a plane to Orlando with 200-300 people on board (however many seats there are on a standard jet) it feels safer because God wouldn't strike down all these souls...

I realize it's not rational, but that's how I feel😂

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest