What was the biggest Disney meltdown you've witnessed?

Luckily, no one called us out on ASD meltdown in WDW, largely cos as one point, all of us were crying simultaneously.
I do remember informing one older gentleman in the supermarket who was behind me and my ASDing 6 yr old in the checkout line.
DS (6) was complaining that the cheese we had bought as welsh cheese had a label on it that sad it was made in England (I know, you have to be an ASDer to get why this matters). The checkout assistant was lovely and was trying to explain to him about labelling laws (we were regular visitors)
The guy behind us said "Some of us have things to DO! Hurry UP!"
So, I turned round and told him "When you can get an autistic child all the way round a supermarket, buy all the things you need and not disturb anyone with screaming, then, you can complain about asking questions at the till!"
I am not proud of myself. We have a badge now for such occasions.

LOL I'm proud of you. :) However it really would be amusing if the older gentleman answered you with, "I'm also autistic." many many many older people DO have these troubles too, they just never were diagnosed!

I've been on both sides of this bridge... managing my DD pre-meltdown and during melt-down... I've also been stuck waiting in line and had the impulse to comment when someone else has a longer transaction to make... I am also the person who will try to entertain your screaming child in an aisle because I know how hard it is.

Right now we are in the "sweet spot" of grocery shopping age where my DD can read and track the shopping list, but we aren't having fights about colorful cereal because she knows it's a very special treat (okay more like when those AirMiles on sugary cereals show up!). But don't take her to to the sushi/Asian market or you will have total chaos on your hands. She knows what fish, what cut, what sauce... :(

LOL I'm proud of you. :) However it really would be amusing if the older gentleman answered you with, "I'm also autistic." many many many older people DO have these troubles too, they just never were diagnosed!

I've been on both sides of this bridge... managing my DD pre-meltdown and during melt-down... I've also been stuck waiting in line and had the impulse to comment when someone else has a longer transaction to make... I am also the person who will try to entertain your screaming child in an aisle because I know how hard it is.

Right now we are in the "sweet spot" of grocery shopping age where my DD can read and track the shopping list, but we aren't having fights about colorful cereal because she knows it's a very special treat (okay more like when those AirMiles on sugary cereals show up!). But don't take her to to the sushi/Asian market or you will have total chaos on your hands. She knows what fish, what cut, what sauce... :(
Yes, afterwards I did realise I did not know why he might have been in a rush and I might have been unfair, hence I am not proud, but, in my defence, it was the first time we have EVER got all the way around the shop without a meltdown...

Yes, afterwards I did realise I did not know why he might have been in a rush and I might have been unfair, hence I am not proud, but, in my defence, it was the first time we have EVER got all the way around the shop without a meltdown...
On Friday I was behind a woman with three children. I didn't think anything of it. Well until each child checked out with one piece of candy. And each child counted out the exact change.

There were 2 people behind me when she started. There were 5 when she and her children were through.

In addition, I am fighting my way through a lupus flare. I have only so much energy and it goes quickly.

I didn't say anything. But boy I wanted to. I understand wanting to teach your children about using money, calculating tax or even teaching independence. But please don't do it on my time. I just don't have much of it.

I didn't say anything. But boy I wanted to. I understand wanting to teach your children about using money, calculating tax or even teaching independence. But please don't do it on my time. I just don't have much of it.

I went out yesterday with my girls (4). They got money from their grandmother and great grandmother for their performances at their recital. They were allowed to buy whatever they wanted.

They each brought their own purse and were responsible for their own money. When it was time to check out, they did it individually. Had there been a line, we would have let the person behind us go first, but there wasn't.

The five minutes it took to check out was worth it to me because it brought my children joy. They earned that money by working hard on their dances all year long. Why should I rush them through and rob them the pleasure of getting to pay themselves (something most children enjoy) simply because the person behind me may be irritated? You say it is okay for a parent to teach their children about using their money, just not on your time. How? It isn't realistic to do it at home, as the money isn't really gone.

I do my best to be considerate to others around me, if I'm at the grocery store and the lines are long and I have a cart full of groceries, I always offer for a person with a few items to go ahead of me. It is not unreasonable for me to expect to be able to pay how I choose when it is my turn to check out.

I went out yesterday with my girls (4). They got money from their grandmother and great grandmother for their performances at their recital. They were allowed to buy whatever they wanted.

They each brought their own purse and were responsible for their own money. When it was time to check out, they did it individually. Had there been a line, we would have let the person behind us go first, but there wasn't.

The five minutes it took to check out was worth it to me because it brought my children joy. They earned that money by working hard on their dances all year long. Why should I rush them through and rob them the pleasure of getting to pay themselves (something most children enjoy) simply because the person behind me may be irritated? You say it is okay for a parent to teach their children about using their money, just not on your time. How? It isn't realistic to do it at home, as the money isn't really gone.

I do my best to be considerate to others around me, if I'm at the grocery store and the lines are long and I have a cart full of groceries, I always offer for a person with a few items to go ahead of me. It is not unreasonable for me to expect to be able to pay how I choose when it is my turn to check out.
You've said yourself that you allow people to go ahead of you. This mother didn't, she allowed 6 people to wait while her son counted out 12 pennies.

When do you do it? How? When there isn't a line. That is what I did. Heck, I home schooled. We had many field trips to stores to explore different lessons. But each time, we did it without holding up other shoppers.

I get that children need to learn. I get that they learn best in the real world. I don't get doing it at 5pm on a Friday with half a dozen people in line.

I may be completely wrong here but I'm not sure the poster was saying the kids can't pay for things on their own but I took it to mean now is not the time to teach then HOW to count up the money or HOW to calculate the tax. You absolutely can be in the store picking up an item and turn around and say "let's figure out how much this will likely be so when we get up there you're all ready to go". Quite honestly that's a life lesson right there. Notice how people comment on the boards about "please be ready to go through the bag checks at the gates at WDW so you don't slow others down" or they talk about the one time they got caught behind the person who didn't have their zippers undone or things readily available for security to look at.

There are places where being prepared is appreciated. At the checkout lane it's much appreciated if you have already started writing the check before the total is told for you, or that you have your method of payment out and all ready to go as it helps things move along.

It's entirely possible to count up what the item will be before checkout and then have the child pay for it themselves. It can even be a count up what it should be, put the unneeded money in a separate place (but maybe handy in case calculations were off-hey nobody's perfect right lol) as the money needed (that could be put in their coin purse or kids wallet or kids purse), and have the child themselves take it out of their coin purse/wallet/purse when at the checkout and it's time to pay the cashier.

I get that children need to learn. I get that they learn best in the real world. I don't get doing it at 5pm on a Friday with half a dozen people in line.

Yeah, but you said you homeschooled your kids. I am a SAHM. But not everyone has the luxury of being able to go grocery shopping at slow times during the day.

It's entirely possible to count up what the item will be before checkout and then have the child pay for it themselves. It can even be a count up what it should be, put the unneeded money in a separate place (but maybe handy in case calculations were off-hey nobody's perfect right lol) as the money needed (that could be put in their coin purse or kids wallet or kids purse), and have the child themselves take it out of their coin purse/wallet/purse when at the checkout and it's time to pay the cashier.

While I do agree that it is important for the children to be prepared with knowing how much their purchase will cost, if they were buying individual candy bars, they may have HAD to enter the checkout line to make their selections.

I understand that it can be frustrating, but to me, getting irritated to the point where you ALMOST say something to someone about them holding you up because their children are paying for their candy individually is akin to hollering at an elderly person for fumbling in their purse, then spending an eternity writing out a check, then deducting it from their register, then asking the cashier to put their paper bags in plastic bags so they have handles.

As I've said above, if I know I'm going to take a while, I offer my spot to the person behind me, even though I certainly do not have to. A person teaching their children how money works is someone who is trying to impart life skills. If it takes 5 minutes out of my day, that is fine. I am not entitled to get through the checkout line before them just because my checkout would be faster.

ETA: I am not trying to be combative or argumentative, just trying to provide a different perspective.

Last edited:

On Friday I was behind a woman with three children. I didn't think anything of it. Well until each child checked out with one piece of candy. And each child counted out the exact change.

There were 2 people behind me when she started. There were 5 when she and her children were through.

In addition, I am fighting my way through a lupus flare. I have only so much energy and it goes quickly.

Yes, as I said, I felt bad, because I didn't know, but, to be fair, since I also wanted to NOT push my luck and to get out of there as soon as possible, while peace was still on my side, I am talking about one child asking one question. WHILE I was paying, not INSTEAD of me paying. I felt guilty because you never know what anyone else is dealing with. I try to go to the supermarket without my children, to save such things. Sometimes it is unavoidable.

While I do agree that it is important for the children to be prepared with knowing how much their purchase will cost, if they were buying individual candy bars, they may have HAD to enter the checkout line to make their selections.
That's totally true but what's wrong with having the child pick the candy bar out (while notating the cost) and stepping out of line and figuring the amount out then re-entering the line?

I've also seen people looking at items in the checkout lanes like gift cards, gum, candy bars, drinks, without entering the checkout line. They usually say something like "oh excuse me just need to get this" or something like that or it's appearant they are not in line but just looking at the stuff. For example for some reason Walmart put these trading/game cards from a card-based game (think like pokemon but not) in the checkout lane only and the two kids just spent a few minutes looking at them to see which one they wanted while their dad waited just beyond the checkout lane.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a kid perusing the candy offerings at the checkout lane picking one out and then going off to meet their parent.

Totally get this isn't a perfect world just saying there are alternatives.

I understand that it can be frustrating, but to me, getting irritated to the point where you ALMOST say something to someone about them holding you up because their children are paying for their candy individually is akin to hollering at an elderly person for fumbling in their purse, then spending an eternity writing out a check, then deducting it from their register, then asking the cashier to put their paper bags in plastic bags so they have handles.
Well I would be irritated at what scenario you described though generally I wouldn't say anything. You could probably tell I would be irritated by my body language though.

One day I spent like 15mins in a line because each of the 3 people ahead of me was writing a check. I specifically went in the 20 items or less lane too. I would normally go to the self checkout but I had a wallet in those plastic anti-theft boxes and figured the self-checkout attendant may not have the device to take it off. None of those people started the check before they got to the machine and it took forever. Only I would get that type of luck lol.

As far as elderly a lot of people do understand that you are naturally slower as you age. I would still appreciate it if the elderly person was ready to go as far as payment method. As far as a child they should have the adult with them to be able to guide them on decision-making.

As I've said above, if I know I'm going to take a while, I offer my spot to the person behind me, even though I certainly do not have to. A person teaching their children how money works is someone who is trying to impart life skills. If it takes 5 minutes out of my day, that is fine. I am not entitled to get through the checkout line before them just because my checkout would be faster.
I think that's nice of you to offer your spot, but then how do make sure that someone else doesn't come up behind you in line. Would you just keep offering people to go in front of you? If so wouldn't it just be better to exit the line until you're ready?

That's totally true but what's wrong with having the child pick the candy bar out (while notating the cost) and stepping out of line and figuring the amount out then re-entering the line?

I've also seen people looking at items in the checkout lanes like gift cards, gum, candy bars, drinks, without entering the checkout line. They usually say something like "oh excuse me just need to get this" or something like that or it's appearant they are not in line but just looking at the stuff. For example for some reason Walmart put these trading/game cards from a card-based game (think like pokemon but not) in the checkout lane only and the two kids just spent a few minutes looking at them to see which one they wanted while their dad waited just beyond the checkout lane.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a kid perusing the candy offerings at the checkout lane picking one out and then going off to meet their parent.

Totally get this isn't a perfect world just saying there are alternatives.

Well I would be irritated at what scenario you described though generally I wouldn't say anything. You could probably tell I would be irritated by my body language though.

One day I spent like 15mins in a line because each of the 3 people ahead of me was writing a check. I specifically went in the 20 items or less lane too. I would normally go to the self checkout but I had a wallet in those plastic anti-theft boxes and figured the self-checkout attendant may not have the device to take it off. None of those people started the check before they got to the machine and it took forever. Only I would get that type of luck lol.

As far as elderly a lot of people do understand that you are naturally slower as you age. I would still appreciate it if the elderly person was ready to go as far as payment method. As far as a child they should have the adult with them to be able to guide them on decision-making.

I think that's nice of you to offer your spot, but then how do make sure that someone else doesn't come up behind you in line. Would you just keep offering people to go in front of you? If so wouldn't it just be better to exit the line until you're ready?
Yes, in some stores there are other options. Some local stores here are small and chain off unopened registers so you can't access the goodies there. An adult can pop by to grab something pretty easily, a mom with three kids, not so much. Not to mention the kid taking forever deciding, then trying to corral them back through.

Yes, most people do realize that elderly people tend to move more slowly. But children can too, especially when they are unsure of what they are doing. They should be afforded the same patience.

And, after the first person I let through, I usually turn to the person behind me and say, "Hey, I just want to let you know my transaction may take a bit." That's what I always did when I was couponing so they could choose another register or at least be prepared.

Again, as I added in my last post, I am genuinely not trying to be combative.

Yeah, but you said you homeschooled your kids. I am a SAHM. But not everyone has the luxury of being able to go grocery shopping at slow times during the day.
It was Hobby Lobby.

I am a little more forgiving at the grocery store. People have to go there.

But then there are numerous lines, at least around here. So I could have switched lines while her children counted out exact change.

But at Hobby Lobby, they generally only have one or two lines open. Which means I was stuck.

it hit a sore point, because I knew when we got in line that there was only two people ahead of me. I didn't realize that I needed to count each child. I wasn't feeling great, I was tired and I really didn't have patience for it.

Yes, in some stores there are other options. Some local stores here are small and chain off unopened registers so you can't access the goodies there. An adult can pop by to grab something pretty easily, a mom with three kids, not so much. Not to mention the kid taking forever deciding, then trying to corral them back through.
Ah I can see chaining off unopened registers. As to the opened registers I'm still on the it's possible to get items in the checkout lane without actually being in line for checkout.

I guess it depends on perspective and individual differences but I would be more impatient if a mom with 3 kids is holding up the line while her kids figure out what they want (and would be even more impatient if that took a while and then the kids were to pay for the items each individually themselves) versus the mom being in the checkout area or near it while the kids figure out what they want and then joining the back of the line to checkout. The former holds up the line and backs it up but the latter allows people to still go through even if those people are somewhat crammed in there with kids they are able to get through and on their jolly way. I would see kids in the checkout lane looking at their choices as a minor inconvenience but kids figuring out what they want or taking a long enough time counting/figuring out their monies actually in the checkout line itself as more than a minor inconvenience.

Yes, most people do realize that elderly people tend to move more slowly. But children can too, especially when they are unsure of what they are doing. They should be afforded the same patience.
Children of course can be slow no doubt and patience is needed but that's why I mentioned an adult who can help with the decision-making when it comes to children. I don't expect a child to understand why a person is impatient behind them so I wouldn't be thinking ill of the child but my thoughts would be more towards the adult who is responsible for them.

And, after the first person I let through, I usually turn to the person behind me and say, "Hey, I just want to let you know my transaction may take a bit." That's what I always did when I was couponing so they could choose another register or at least be prepared.
Right but why not just let them go in front of you as well until you're ready to go. I totally get letting them know so they have the choice but another checkout lane may not be a choice or one that let's them get out quicker. Lord knows my Walmart has Self-checkout on one side, 2 or so (sometimes more) speedy checkout lanes going on both sides of the checkout part and maybe 1 or 2 (sometimes more) normal non-speedy checkouts so generally nothing open in the middle of the check out area. So if something is going on in one lane it may mean quite a wait and/or quite a walk to another lane.

I suppose I'm not getting the logic of letting just that one person you immediately saw behind you go in front of you but then stopping anyone else that comes up behind and just telling them "it may be a while". Don't get me wrong I would def. appreciate you letting me know that but I guess I would prefer equal treatment if that makes sense? In other words extending the courtesy to one customer of letting them go in front of you but choosing not to extend it to another is why I was suggesting the option of stepping out of the checkout lane until you are ready-I would only bring this up in the case of you not being fully ready to check out versus you having a cart full of groceries and are just being nice and letting a person who has 2 or 3 items go in front of you.

I feel like with couponing there's not a whole lot you can do to get ready to check out other than have all the coupons for each transaction (if you need to do multiple) ready to go-most of the time is spent with the cashier scanning the coupon and you making sure it deducted the right amount. Counting/teaching/figuring out how to check out with respects to a child is something you can do or have more liklihood of being ready prior to checking out.

Again, as I added in my last post, I am genuinely not trying to be combative.
I don't think you're trying to be combative at all so no worries on the front.

I would only bring this up in the case of you not being fully ready to check out versus you having a cart full of groceries and are just being nice and letting a person who has 2 or 3 items go in front of you.

Frankly, I've not stepped in the checkout line without being ready to go. When I took my kids shopping yesterday, they had their money in their hand, ready to hand it to the cashier. I even put my groceries on the belt in a way to make it easier to bag (I used to be a grocery store cashier). I am just saying that sometimes there are little hold ups in life and I just try to make my peace with them.

A mom trying to teach her kids something and holding up a line (which, admittedly, Hobby Lobby is always slow anyway) isn't even a blip on my radar. If I did notice, I'd probably be a lot happier to see that than any of the questionable parenting I'm sure we've all witnessed in public.

Frankly, I've not stepped in the checkout line without being ready to go. When I took my kids shopping yesterday, they had their money in their hand, ready to hand it to the cashier. I even put my groceries on the belt in a way to make it easier to bag (I used to be a grocery store cashier). I am just saying that sometimes there are little hold ups in life and I just try to make my peace with them.

A mom trying to teach her kids something and holding up a line (which, admittedly, Hobby Lobby is always slow anyway) isn't even a blip on my radar. If I did notice, I'd probably be a lot happier to see that than any of the questionable parenting I'm sure we've all witnessed in public.
Ah ok. I was just speaking to other ways the situation can be handled is all as there is more than one solution to the situation that had been presented (the one solution of basically suck it up, be happy and give the person in front of you a break). So not meaning that statement in a mean way just a straightforward way.

Ah ok. I was just speaking to other ways the situation can be handled is all as there is more than one solution to the situation that had been presented (the one solution of basically suck it up, be happy and give the person in front of you a break). So not meaning that statement in a mean way just a straightforward way.

I didn't take it negatively. :D

I suppose I'm not getting the logic of letting just that one person you immediately saw behind you go in front of you but then stopping anyone else that comes up behind and just telling them "it may be a while". Don't get me wrong I would def. appreciate you letting me know that but I guess I would prefer equal treatment if that makes sense? In other words extending the courtesy to one customer of letting them go in front of you but choosing not to extend it to another is why I was suggesting the option of stepping out of the checkout lane until you are ready-I would only bring this up in the case of you not being fully ready to check out versus you having a cart full of groceries and are just being nice and letting a person who has 2 or 3 items go in front of you.
I didn't get it that she wasn't ready, just that she noticed the person behind her had just a few items, so let them go ahead. I wouldn't think just because she is courteous to that person she has to let everyone else in the store through just because her transaction may take awhile. I got behind a couponer who had all of her purchases organized and a notebook paper and stack of ads, every item she purchased she had a "story" for it... i.e "these are on sale at Walgreens, I have a coupon for these, these should be buy two get one of these free...." for her whole, full cart. By the time she was checking out I already had people in line behind me so I couldn't get out to switch lines. A heads up would have been nice, but since I was stuck, I stood there and marveled at how much work she put in to it and how much she saved. lol

I didn't get it that she wasn't ready, just that she noticed the person behind her had just a few items, so let them go ahead. I wouldn't think just because she is courteous to that person she has to let everyone else in the store through just because her transaction may take awhile. I got behind a couponer who had all of her purchases organized and a notebook paper and stack of ads, every item she purchased she had a "story" for it... i.e "these are on sale at Walgreens, I have a coupon for these, these should be buy two get one of these free...." for her whole, full cart. By the time she was checking out I already had people in line behind me so I couldn't get out to switch lines. A heads up would have been nice, but since I was stuck, I stood there and marveled at how much work she put in to it and how much she saved. lol
I think you may have misunderstood the conversation between me and the other poster.

We did talk about not being ready in other contexts but the couponing one was separated out and I explained on the "ready" aspect of that. Here's what I said about that:
"I feel like with couponing there's not a whole lot you can do to get ready to check out other than have all the coupons for each transaction (if you need to do multiple) ready to go-most of the time is spent with the cashier scanning the coupon and you making sure it deducted the right amount. Counting/teaching/figuring out how to check out with respects to a child is something you can do or have more liklihood of being ready prior to checking out."

So no I actually wasn't talking at all about not being ready and exiting the line until you are when it comes to couponing at all..........in fact I said the opposite.

I suppose I'm not getting the logic of letting just that one person you immediately saw behind you go in front of you but then stopping anyone else that comes up behind and just telling them "it may be a while". Don't get me wrong I would def. appreciate you letting me know that but I guess I would prefer equal treatment if that makes sense?

Granted, I am at work, and am skimming through, catching up on threads between phone calls, but she had mentioned couponing before you said you didn't understand the logic of only letting the one person through. I did notice later in that same post you singled out the couponing situation. I guess since you said you didn't get the logic of it I thought maybe you hadn't noticed that she did say she would do that when she was couponing. Was just trying to help...

Granted, I am at work, and am skimming through, catching up on threads between phone calls, but she had mentioned couponing before you said you didn't understand the logic of only letting the one person through. I did notice later in that same post you singled out the couponing situation. I guess since you said you didn't get the logic of it I thought maybe you hadn't noticed that she did say she would do that when she was couponing. Was just trying to help...
I understood what the poster was saying but I appreciate the thought :-). The didn't understand part was more of a general more broad thing whereas the couponing part was a specific situation thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!