What do you think will really happen in 2042 or 2054?

I didn't say anything about offering a short term contract to me when I'm 66. Heck- they better offer me another 50 year contract. I plan to live till I'm over a hundred and plan to go to disney every year of that long life:goodvibes Plus even if my kids inherited my contract I'd imagine they'd want a long-term contract renewal (if they continue talking about disney EVERY day like they do now...)
I actually agree with the no short term extension option. I think it would allow too many people "in" that don't really want the same "disney" experience that I want. Or they'll sell or rent points to people that appreciate it for what it is. I's just like to see a renewal option that won't cost $700/pt. (or at least that, at the rate it's going. I bought in at $67 or $68/pt)

If DVC was interested in short term contracts they would have an alternative NOW for all of the 66-year olds out there.

Disney wants to lock people in long-term and the problem with offering 15-20 year contracts is that you can't limit sales to just people in their 60s. If someone in their 20s or 30s inherits a contract in 2040 and is then able to renew it for a short term at a good price, that defeats the purpose of selling long-term ownership to young families.

In 2042 it will be much quieter as all of the SSR "Bashers" will be gone. I will be thinking of them for the next 12 years as I am relaxing at High Rock Springs pool.

Yeah, I'll be 83 (God willing) in 2057 when my AKV contract expires. Not only will my grandchildren likely have benefitted from it, but there's a decent chance my GREAT grandchildren will have benefitted from it, too.

Wait a sec....I'm gonna need a lot more points! :)

That's the way I've been looking at it. I'll be 82 when they expire, and hopefully I still remember that I have any points at Disney at that point:eek: . My kids however love it there, and hopefully they'll take advantage of it, and still love it when they get older.

So, what do you think will really happen when the 50 year contracts run out in either '42 or '54? I am thinking that DVC will offer some sort of renewal or extension at that time. Just curious what you think.

Thanks!

Scott

If I'm lucid enough and spry enough to drag my wife down there, we will spend our last year of points on a 55 anniversary, buy APs and ride every ride and eat at our favorite restaurants. We'll then hobble over to the little DVC kiosk to renew if possible.

I'm just hoping the end of the world doesn't occur until 2054. I'd hate to leave points on the table.

I'm thinking I just made a decision for another add on for AKV's, longest lease. I have a large family with grands.

just make one of the existing 2042 resorts into a geriatric center, complete with 24hr/7day nursing, no stairs, redesigned bathrooms.
we could have sally's stamp collecting sundays, mickey's bingo mondays, terk's tabletennis tuesdays, etc.

it would be perfect ~ finally getting to actually live in WDW :cloud9: (of course, some DVCers stays might be much shorter than others, depending upon age when first buying). :rolleyes1

In 2054 my zombied corpse will enjoy a last DVC vacation then the resorts will crumble from years of neglect after DVC spent every last maintenance dollar on DVC Atlantis.

DVC has to do *something* or they will have a maintenance crisis on their hands. If they really are going to kick all the owners out in 2042, the owners are going to stop paying for maintenance. In the later years these buildings will be old and need a lot of work. But is anyone going to want to pay for new furniture, new carpets, etc. just so Disney will receive pristine buildings? And as it gets closer to the end, are people going to want to do even the basics of painting the walls and maintaining the grounds?

It's in everybody's interest to make sure that owners of the buildings have a long-term interest in their well being. (Assuming the world isn't close to ending) Disney will find a way to get interested owners - either by offering extensions, or buy buying people out.

I'll be dead by the time my SSR ownership ends. Or I'll be a very, very crabby 101-year-old. Either way, I doubt WDW will be a priority for me. Let my heirs figure it out (unless I've already sold it to finance the nursing home).

Say...that's an idea...Disney Nursing Homes for all us geriatric DVC owners. :lmao:

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

I would TOTALLY love a Disney Nursing Home...

DVC has to do *something* or they will have a maintenance crisis on their hands. If they really are going to kick all the owners out in 2042, the owners are going to stop paying for maintenance. In the later years these buildings will be old and need a lot of work. But is anyone going to want to pay for new furniture, new carpets, etc. just so Disney will receive pristine buildings? And as it gets closer to the end, are people going to want to do even the basics of painting the walls and maintaining the grounds?

It's in everybody's interest to make sure that owners of the buildings have a long-term interest in their well being. (Assuming the world isn't close to ending) Disney will find a way to get interested owners - either by offering extensions, or buy buying people out.
I don't think it will be that bad. Really all Disney has to do is appropriate maintenance, reduction of fees appropriately the last few years and formulate a plan for who gets to use a resort the last couple years and how that is done. I think the larger worry for default on fees is related to the aging membership population. I'm sure Disney would love to extend the ownership of the 2042 resorts to match Saratoga Springs or animal kingdom villas. The problem is that I don't really see any way they could feasibly do it. For some of the same reasons being quoted here related to default, Disney will have to have a fairly high penetration of the then current members to justify a extending the resorts. And that assumes that just the regular fees in general are reasonable which is a fairly large assumption unto itself.

I'm sure Disney would you like to extend the resorts but do so after they are through selling the majority of the new points available such as animal kingdom villas. The problem is getting enough participation at a high enough cost to make it is feasible. Really in only has to be a break-even circumstance on the sales side. The reason that to the economy of scale of the infrastructure as I alluded to earlier. It would somewhat reduced the overall cost to maintenance related to the management. You would also generate continued usage which is guaranteed income in other areas such as fresh rounds sales them park attendance.

I wonder what it would take to get to 78 percent of members to extend currently. From Disney's side they would probably like to get 15 to 20 dollars per point but I suspect that they would have to go down to well below 10 dollars per point to get a large portion to bite. Now if they would allow the extension for a trade in of points, I suspect that would be far more successful.

Now if they would allow the extension for a trade in of points, I suspect that would be far more successful.

You mean something like asking people to trade their 2008 and 2010 points in return for extending an extra 12 or 15 years on the back end?

You mean something like asking people to trade their 2008 and 2010 points in return for extending an extra 12 or 15 years on the back end?
Correct, ikely 2 to 3 years of points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter