• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Do You Consider a "Low Ball" Offer?

As others have said the risk with going too low is that a seller won't even bother to counter. If it's your first contract, maybe that doesn't matter, but if you're looking for a specific use year or a relatively small contract it could be a while before one meeting your needs shows up again. I'm not an expert on BLT contracts by any means but seems like you got a pretty decent price.

Was this with The Timeshare Store, Inc? If so I think they accepted so quick because I had previously low balled that bid. They countered back with me at $135 and I was going to counter back with $130 but was told they had received a "full price offer".
Yes, it was from Timeshare Store. Interesting tactic. I'm surprised they didn't "finish" with your negotiation before moving on. Perhaps they'll comment on this thread the formal protocol for multiple offers.

Can I ask what your original offer was?

Welcome to the wonderful world of second guessing every aspect of your DVC purchase. :) [edit] Like others are saying, you got a good price on a good contract, hopefully that's enough to make you not second guess it.

As for your second question, I'm sure people have lots of great lowball stories, I know that I have a few. But not in this current market and for every lowball success story I have 50 ice cold rejections. Congrats on your purchase!!!

I am happy with my price. Thanks, everyone, for pointing out that that's what matters.

I really want to hear low ball stories....anyone....?

I'm closing right now on an Aulani contract that was a low ball offer that turned into a curve ball for me. Sellers were asking $100/point. I had eyed it for a while but kept talking myself out of it. Finally I just figured I'd offer $80 to see where they'd come back at (or if they even would). Well wouldn't you know it? After not even a peep for three days out of them, they accepted. Be careful what you ask for! :)

I'm closing right now on an Aulani contract that was a low ball offer that turned into a curve ball for me. Sellers were asking $100/point. I had eyed it for a while but kept talking myself out of it. Finally I just figured I'd offer $80 to see where they'd come back at (or if they even would). Well wouldn't you know it? After not even a peep for three days out of them, they accepted. Be careful what you ask for! :)
that makes me smile...love it...congrats!

I am happy with my price. Thanks, everyone, for pointing out that that's what matters.

Two years ago, my second VGF contract was had for the low, low price of $128 and seller paid MFs (so brought it down to around $122.30 a point). Contract had full points and was listed at a reasonable $140 -- but it was on an obscure website and the sellers were international.

The agent was shocked when the sellers accepted -- he said they had previously declined $130 per point -- so I guess they got tired of waiting around.

I just bid $133 on a $145/point contract and it was accepted immediately. My knee-jerk reaction was I didn't go low enough. I definitely do not have the nerve to really challenge the bidding!

What are your "low ball" success stories?
I was told by agent $5 lower than asking is the normal so looks like a good deal.

Yes, it was from Timeshare Store. Interesting tactic. I'm surprised they didn't "finish" with your negotiation before moving on. Perhaps they'll comment on this thread the formal protocol for multiple offers.

Can I ask what your original offer was?
I was told by agent $5 lower than asking is the normal so looks like a good deal.

Agent from DVC Resale Market I guess?

I always think the best tool to look at is ROFR board and also just monitor Fidelity as they seem to be the more realistic pricing.

Last edited:
There was an SSR contract listed for $97pp. I offered $85pp, and the sellers accepted immediately. I considered it a low ball, BUT so did Disney. They took it. :/ Oh well.

I'm now pending ROFR with a June BLT add-on for $135pp also with full 2018 points forward (and a random extra 6 points). Considering that I am right near you in ppp, I don't think you were too high. The UY matters a lot too. February UY at BLT has the most available points! I don't know which UY you went with, but since there are more Feb contracts out there for BLT, you should be able to get a reasonable price on them, like you did. June, my UY, is not as available (1/3 the amount of points as Feb), but they are still out there as it is the second most popular UY at BLT. I have found that the June ones don't last long usually if they are priced even somewhat reasonably or if the seller is negotiable. Congrats on the accepted offer, and good luck with ROFR. I think in your case (and mine), passing ROFR isn't going to be the issue. The amount of time these resale contracts are taking to post points in your account lately will be the issue. Just try and be patient. I submitted on April 30th (exactly 3 weeks ago), and they haven't even gotten to those yet according to the ROFR threads.

Agent from DVC Resale Market I guess?

I always think the best tool to look at is ROFR board and also just monitor Fidelity as they seem to be the more realistic pricing.
Fidelity does always have lower prices. I wonder if theirs get taken more in ROFR. Just curious.But you are right about checking ROFR boards. I did that when I put in offers at both my AKL and OKW. The AKL I put in at $10 less than their asking and they accepted. I also got lucky it was in March as Disney wasn't buying them all back at the time and it had 1/2 of last years points and this year and I got it for $100pp

There was an SSR contract listed for $97pp. I offered $85pp, and the sellers accepted immediately. I considered it a low ball, BUT so did Disney. They took it. :/ Oh well.

I'm now pending ROFR with a June BLT add-on for $135pp also with full 2018 points forward (and a random extra 6 points). Considering that I am right near you in ppp, I don't think you were too high. The UY matters a lot too. February UY at BLT has the most available points! I don't know which UY you went with, but since there are more Feb contracts out there for BLT, you should be able to get a reasonable price on them, like you did. June, my UY, is not as available (1/3 the amount of points as Feb), but they are still out there as it is the second most popular UY at BLT. I have found that the June ones don't last long usually if they are priced even somewhat reasonably or if the seller is negotiable. Congrats on the accepted offer, and good luck with ROFR. I think in your case (and mine), passing ROFR isn't going to be the issue. The amount of time these resale contracts are taking to post points in your account lately will be the issue. Just try and be patient. I submitted on April 30th (exactly 3 weeks ago), and they haven't even gotten to those yet according to the ROFR threads.

I guess that kitchen remodel is turning into more BLT points? :rotfl:

I guess that kitchen remodel is turning into more BLT points? :rotfl:

This is cheaper than my kitchen remodel would’ve been. We can’t remodel right now with all the post-Harvey price gouging on renovations right now.

This is cheaper than my kitchen remodel would’ve been. We can’t remodel right now with all the post-Harvey price gouging on renovations right now.

we were going to do a pool remodel and the quotes we've gotten were insane. Like the cost of 650 points of VGF insane.

we were going to do a pool remodel and the quotes we've gotten were insane. Like the cost of 650 points of VGF insane.

Yeah. I know. We did it a few years ago. We just stuck with re-plastering and re-tiling. I did get my beautiful glass tiles!!! We didn’t change the shape of the pool or the decking or anything. It’s really expensive. My sister is about to put in a new pool and had sticker shock as well. It took her 2 months to agree to it because she thought it was too expensive.

I don't know that you can define a "low ball " offer. you can offer what you feel is a reasonable offer and the buyer can accept, decline or counter.
We have done that and had several responses. Never felt bad about any response. It is what it is.

I don't necessarily know what defines a "low ball" offer as I guess that would be in the eye of the seller receiving it. Here's what I do know. I made an offer on another SSR contract this morning, they countered and I declined (broker said they indicated that was as low as they would go) and while I recognize that the PP of SSR has risen I'm still not comfortable paying OVER $110 pp for SSR. Am I wrong here?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter