What Do You Consider a "Low Ball" Offer?

SherylLC

DIS Veteran
I just bid $133 on a $145/point contract and it was accepted immediately. My knee-jerk reaction was I didn't go low enough. I definitely do not have the nerve to really challenge the bidding!

What are your "low ball" success stories?

I just bid $133 on a $145/point contract and it was accepted immediately. My knee-jerk reaction was I didn't go low enough. I definitely do not have the nerve to really challenge the bidding!

It depends on what the contract has for points. Is it loaded or stripped? If you get too good of a deal DVD usually will buy it back and not even thank you for your bargaining skills. Which resort is it? But it does not hurt to toss out a lowball number to see how bad they want to sell. We bought SSR last June for $85 a point it was Juse use year with current points. Didn’t want DVD to buy it from us. There were some that were bought back at that time around that price range, but some lower ones past ROFR. Good luck.

200 point BLT with double points. I was using $133 as a jumping off point. Agent said she didn't think ROFR would be an issue since DVD has not been taking BLT for quite some time. I'm interested in opinions--did I pay too much?

Anyone have any screaming deals they were surprised to have accepted by seller?

If it's lower than anything you see in the Rofr thread then it's probably low ball, if not then I think it's fair game.

Many people list their contracts for what they think is the going price, but are willing to accept less just to be rid of it. If you know what you are willing to pay, you can always submit an offer that's lower and move up if it's rejected.

I think that is a good price for the market right now. DVC is hot right now, who knows when and if prices will go down. I don’t see it happening any time soon, unless something major happens with the economy.

Last edited:
200 point BLT with double points. I was using $133 as a jumping off point. Agent said she didn't think ROFR would be an issue since DVD has not been taking BLT for quite some time. I'm interested in opinions--did I pay too much?

Anyone have any screaming deals they were surprised to have accepted by seller?

Which I find completely annoying since there seems to be quite the waitlist for BLT points. :rolleyes:

(Different perspective)

I don't think that's a lowball offer for BLT. You got a good one though, because it's got double points. I think some sellers are just asking too much. I made an offer around your price per point on a 100 point one that was neither loaded nor stripped, and the seller refused to even counter. I walked away, but that contract was later listed as "sale pending" on the broker's website. I don't know if anyone paid full price, but the asking price was over the asking on yours. Rather than consider what's a "lowball" based on the asking, I tend to have an idea of what a fair (but "good deal") price would be on a contract and then offer maybe just below that or right around that. Sometimes it is super low compared to asking, and sometimes it is not - my first VGF contract was only $2 below ask, but it had just been reduced into a realm of very reasonable asking price. I think it had been sitting at a much higher price for weeks and no one had made an offer on it. I made an offer on it the day it was reduced.

I don't think that's a lowball offer for BLT. You got a good one though, because it's got double points. I think some sellers are just asking too much. I made an offer around your price per point on a 100 point one that was neither loaded nor stripped, and the seller refused to even counter. I walked away, but that contract was later listed as "sale pending" on the broker's website. I don't know if anyone paid full price, but the asking price was over the asking on yours. Rather than consider what's a "lowball" based on the asking, I tend to have an idea of what a fair (but "good deal") price would be on a contract and then offer maybe just below that or right around that. Sometimes it is super low compared to asking, and sometimes it is not - my first VGF contract was only $2 below ask, but it had just been reduced into a realm of very reasonable asking price. I think it had been sitting at a much higher price for weeks and no one had made an offer on it. I made an offer on it the day it was reduced.

I agree! Some contracts are just really overpriced. For example, there is a completely stripped VGC contract asking $198pp. I would have no problem offering $30pp less to bring it down to a more reasonable price point. On the other hand, if a contract is fully loaded or already at a reasonable price pp, I would offer full asking.

You never know what's going on on the other end of the contract. Some people list high thinking that people might bite, and they'll take a lower offer. Some list for what they'll sell for and won't consider less. Some need to sell bad enough that they don't care about the price, some need to sell, but need a certain price, and others are just listing - if it sells it sells, if it doesn't they'll just rent the points out.

You weren't even 10% below asking - that isn't a lowball at all.

Was this with The Timeshare Store, Inc? If so I think they accepted so quick because I had previously low balled that bid. They countered back with me at $135 and I was going to counter back with $130 but was told they had received a "full price offer".

Was this with The Timeshare Store, Inc? If so I think they accepted so quick because I had previously low balled that bid. They countered back with me at $135 and I was going to counter back with $130 but was told they had received a "full price offer".

This happened to me here haha. I "lowballed" a BCV contract which was accepted without counter. When I reported it here on the ROFR thread, someone else posted that they lowballed it even more :P

There are so many factors on what constitutes a lowball offer. But ultimately, as others have said, it depends on the sellers and all you can do is offer that you feel is fair. I've had $15 below asking accepted without counter. And then other sellers who won't budge at all, even if I think the asking is way too high.

Welcome to the wonderful world of second guessing every aspect of your DVC purchase. :) In your case there were three possible outcomes. The first is that they would have sold for less and you feel like you somehow overpaid. The second is you hit their magic number, probably not likely. The third is you went in lower and someone else got the contract or they refused to counter or a million other things. Like others are saying, you got a good price on a good contract, hopefully that's enough to make you not second guess it.

As for your second question, I'm sure people have lots of great lowball stories, I know that I have a few. But not in this current market and for every lowball success story I have 50 ice cold rejections. Congrats on your purchase!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter