What do you consider a lot? Student debt?

I know successful ppl 30 or younger also, but statistically the trend is that “kids” are leaving the nest much much later now & are still supported by their parents well into their late 20s. I know a few of those too & I find that to be ridiculous.

Yes, but one reason that some can't afford to live on their own until later is the sky rocketing cost of college in recent years and the debt load that they took on to pay for college.

Not to mention that I never understand why anyone would care where another lives and find it "ridiculous." If it wouldn't work for you and yours, fine, but why is it "ridiculous" for someone else. Be sure that you save plenty for college costs. Many parents in the past few years have found themselves ill prepared for the cost.

Yes, but one reason that some can't afford to live on their own until later is the sky rocketing cost of college in recent years and the debt load that they took on to pay for college.

Not to mention that I never understand why anyone would care where another lives and find it "ridiculous." If it wouldn't work for you and yours, fine, but why is it "ridiculous" for someone else. Be sure that you save plenty for college costs. Many parents in the past few years have found themselves ill prepared for the cost.
It’s ridiculous b/c we have a whole generation of “adults” who aren’t functioning as such. But more specifically, I would find it ridiculous if my DS were still living with me at 30. I lived on my own & had debt. Many ppl do/did. The concept of living with your parents until conditions are prefect is absurd to me.

It starts much earlier than graduation. The current proliferation of single dorm rooms is a very good indicator. DH & I had words over that one: I wanted DS to learn to share a dorm room, and DH, who lived at home during college, thought that sharing a bedroom with a stranger was just barbaric. (We both grew up working-class, but in his home the 2 children got 2 of the three bedrooms, while in mine same-gender kids were expected to share, even if that left the third bedroom empty.) I not only shared a 12 x 12 dorm room for 2 years, but I shared a bedroom in a small rented house for another two after that. Grad school got me my own room, but it wasn't until I was working full-time at a professional job that I got my own place, and it was NOT deluxe. (In fact, you can see it: right after I moved out, the film Sex, Lies & Videotape was filmed there; it was James Spader's apartment.) The car that I got my final year in grad school (first one ever) was 12 yrs old; a Corolla coupe stick that had a drooping headliner (which I pinned in place with straight pins; I now absolutely shudder to think of what that would have done to my head if I'd ever rolled the car! But ... at the time, cosmetic repairs were not in the budget.) This was in the mid-80s, and I had a very strict budget. My limit for food was $40/month -- I ate a lot of rice. (Does anyone else remember the Ladies' Night buffets that bars used to provide in the 80's? Every Friday & Saturday in college, my roommates and I trotted out our best (and ONLY!) clubbing clothes so that we could get past the doormen and eat free.)

It isn't the specific ways that we scrimped that I want kids to emulate. It's that we did creative things to make ends meet and afford rent, in order to stay out from under our parents' thumbs, and our parents didn't want us at home any more than we wanted to be there. I really do not want our kids moving back in after college unless it is for a finite temporary period (like 3 months to save up needed deposits.) We actually live well below our means, so I don't expect they will want to, quite frankly -- this house is 85 years old and completely lacks any modern creature comforts that I see in so-called "starter" homes built in the last 3 decades -- for one thing, it's much smaller!

For our family 15k was the number in my head I didn't want them to go over in student loans. I thought 15k, that's like buying a car, they should be able to pay that off in 3 years tops!

We have one graduating this May and she has 10k in loans, so she came in under budget. Her sister who will graduate May '20 is looking to come in around 10k in loans too.

I'm hoping they both stay at home after college and pay their loans off and save as much money as they can while they're single so they can start life with a good chunk $$. That being said, they will be paying us rent (not as much as if they had their own place) and taking care of their own expenses. We'll see what the next few years bring.
That’s a distinct possibility for us too. If DD graduates in her current major, she will make a good salary, but she will still have thousands in loans. There are several potential employers within 30 minutes of our house. She could live with us, pay us a small amount of rent, ang pay those loans off fairly quickly. She washes her own clothes, cleans her area, and cooks when she’s hungry.

She can close off her area of the house and have a lot of privacy, with 2 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, and a small study. We get along and enjoy spending time together. We never butted heads or argued. We are fine with her living with us for a couple of years, so she can pay off all loans and save up money for a new car. She will cover all her own expenses, so it’s not as if she’s dependent on us.

It starts much earlier than graduation. The current proliferation of single dorm rooms is a very good indicator. DH & I had words over that one: I wanted DS to learn to share a dorm room, and DH, who lived at home during college, thought that sharing a bedroom with a stranger was just barbaric. (We both grew up working-class, but in his home the 2 children got 2 of the three bedrooms, while in mine same-gender kids were expected to share, even if that left the third bedroom empty.) I not only shared a 12 x 12 dorm room for 2 years, but I shared a bedroom in a small rented house for another two after that. Grad school got me my own room, but it wasn't until I was working full-time at a professional job that I got my own place, and it was NOT deluxe. (In fact, you can see it: right after I moved out, the film Sex, Lies & Videotape was filmed there; it was James Spader's apartment.) The car that I got my final year in grad school (first one ever) was 12 yrs old; a Corolla coupe stick that had a drooping headliner (which I pinned in place with straight pins; I now absolutely shudder to think of what that would have done to my head if I'd ever rolled the car! But ... at the time, cosmetic repairs were not in the budget.) This was in the mid-80s, and I had a very strict budget. My limit for food was $40/month -- I ate a lot of rice. (Does anyone else remember the Ladies' Night buffets that bars used to provide in the 80's? Every Friday & Saturday in college, my roommates and I trotted out our best (and ONLY!) clubbing clothes so that we could get past the doormen and eat free.)

It isn't the specific ways that we scrimped that I want kids to emulate. It's that we did creative things to make ends meet and afford rent, in order to stay out from under our parents' thumbs, and our parents didn't want us at home any more than we wanted to be there. I really do not want our kids moving back in after college unless it is for a finite temporary period (like 3 months to save up needed deposits.) We actually live well below our means, so I don't expect they will want to, quite frankly -- this house is 85 years old and completely lacks any modern creature comforts that I see in so-called "starter" homes built in the last 3 decades -- for one thing, it's much smaller!

Boy this rang true for me! I shared a two bedroom one bath with 3 other girls and we felt like we had really graduated up from the dorms! The minute we turned 21, we also went to happy hours for the free food. Since I graduated a semester early (yes, to save money) the month after my 21st birthday and stayed living with my roommates while substitute teaching, I was technically already working in my field when I was hitting up the free food though. LOL

I'll never understand the single dorm room thing. My nieces and nephews who went to school on loans lived in singles. I made my kids live in the oldest dorms on campus in doubles. Older son was tripled (not by choice, overcrowding) so we really saved that year! Then they both chose to move off campus into even cheaper housing. The one who lived in a small town saved a bundle that way, the one in the city not as much.

Last edited:

Exactly! I don't feel the least bit bad that my DD23 is sharing an apartment or driving a 14yo car. She's putting her money where her priorities are--she has a 403b and a Roth IRA, and loves to travel. She went to Europe with us last summer (family trip), but she also went to Cuba on her own dime. She's currently hoping to go to Paris with her cousins this coming summer, and Thailand in a couple of years. Those trips, she will pay for 100% (although I might give her the leftover euros from our Europe trip, but she's not expecting anything). I think she does a great job of managing her own expectations, and balancing her needs with her wants.

It’s ridiculous b/c we have a whole generation of “adults” who aren’t functioning as such. But more specifically, I would find it ridiculous if my DS were still living with me at 30. I lived on my own & had debt. Many ppl do/did. The concept of living with your parents until conditions are prefect is absurd to me.

My problem with your statement and the original one that started this side conversation are exaggerations like "whole generation." I realize that I am touchy because I parented two millenials but really those statements are insulting.

Maybe you will understand when your DS is an adult and someone lumps him in with their perceived fault of some by saying "all."

Last edited:

Oh come on, everyone generalizes. When we are talking about "a generation" doing something it is because there is an obvious trend among that particular generation. It doesn't mean that every single member of that generation fits the description, it means that enough of them do that it is noticeable.
Some parents of young adult children understand that and don't get offended so easily.

Oh come on, everyone generalizes. When we are talking about "a generation" doing something it is because there is an obvious trend among that particular generation. It doesn't mean that every single member of that generation fits the description, it means that enough of them do that it is noticeable.
Some parents of young adult children understand that and don't get offended so easily.

I disagree. There is a perceived picture of a generation based on actions of a few that is magnified by the uglies on social media.

Hate the "tide pod generation ". Who started that?

Please get to know the people you want to generalize by volunteering and interacting with them through a school or community organization.

The current proliferation of single dorm rooms is a very good indicator.
That's not necessarily a good indicator.

For example in the dorms I lived in the singles were in the basement where the laundry room was. There weren't many of those rooms at all. But you could pay to have a double as a single occupancy. I did that my freshman year and I loved it. It was one of the best decisions I ever made for my freshman year. Oh I still had the communal bathrooms, my room was the first one located by the door nearest to the elevator so I still had plenty of activity around me, etc. I just really didn't like the single rooms. I felt like I was in a dark dank prison since there was a very small window that let in natural light.

I did live in a 4 person (2 room) dorm my sophmore year and my junior and senior years were spent in a 3 person (4 room) apartment.

I disagree. There is a perceived picture of a generation based on actions of a few that is magnified by the uglies on social media.

Generalizations about specific generations started long before social media was even around.

The idiots who decided it would be a good idea to eat Tide Pods?

Please get to know the people you want to generalize by volunteering and interacting with them through a school or community organization.

replies in bolded above are mine
Being offended just means you believe there may be some truth in those words.

I agree that "all" shouldn't be lumped into one stereotype of a certain generation. I think that both generations - parents and young folks today - have something to bring to the table. The key is probably finding a middle ground somehow. For me, that came with teaching my children as they were growing up some of the values that I held dear, that I learned from my own parents who were Depression era children, my mother coming from an extremely underpriveledged background, and those included understanding and appreciating what we have and how hard we worked for it. But I also agree that some of our children are, or can become, a little too used to having all the things that we provide them and aren't always completely thinking in terms of starting out humbly and working to earn things for themselves. But there's certainly a whole lot of variation here within the younger generations. I see it not only with my own kids but with many young people that I know and work with myself. We've had so many conversations, I've been able to learn a lot from them (in terms of college planning, especially) and develop an appreciation for what they're doing and how hard they're working, as well, in their own way.

DD21 and I discussed this thread last night and I even read her some of the posts. I told her that I could relate a lot to @disykat 's post and some others, as her Dad and I also built everything we have today from scratch with little to no monetary support from anyone else, and we loved it, as well, even if it was scary sometimes! When we first bought our house, for instance, I remember thinking one day how sad I'd be if we lost it because I loved it so much! The thought of all the bills in front of us at that time was daunting, but we just plugged away at it and here we are many years down the road and we're still plugging away, lol. We never wanted our kids to take advantage of "being comfortable" so we saw that they volunteered their time, held jobs during HS and now college, saved money, opened accounts and learned to manage them, kept their grades up, followed rules, etc. We were laughing last night about how it was important to us that they drive cars that were safe, but beaters in their own way - though yes, they were fortunate to have even those. DD has her grandmother's car and DS has my old one which has been in the shop more than it's on the road, I think. (And God love those guys in the shop, they've promised us they'll keep it going to get him through school, which reminds me, I need to bring them some cookies after the last miracle they performed for us a couple of weeks ago.)

Mine are juniors now - my son is contemplating a military career after graduation (looking at further career training and long term benefits) and my daughter is seven classes away from becoming a nurse. Both are working to figure out what comes next after college by setting themselves up for success now, with jobs and connections and ongoing planning and such. We live in a HCOL area where median home costs are around $500,000, and that's not a good thought to people their age who'd like to stay around here. Mine know DH and I are moving on to beefing up our retirement planning when they're done with school so they're on their own in terms of making it work for themselves. (Although we're happy to provide living arrangements for a while if they want or need them, which we expect they will while they get situated.) Which is why our planning for college that began way back in 8th grade was to keep costs as low as possible and try not to take on any debt, or keep that as low as possible, etc. Our hope is that that will put them in a good place to continue to make good choices financially so they can pay for basics that are so expensive today and eventually try to own their own home or some other things they want to do. Honestly, starting out here with a ton of debt is really difficult for people, as I've seen with so many. People at the beginning of this thread mentioned paying debt off quickly. I know plenty of people who are well into their 30s wth homes of their own and young children who are still under mountains of student debt. Their advice to me was always to not make the same mistake. It sounds like for some here, having debt has been ok as it forced them to make certain choices or allowed them to go to a school they really wanted to go to or whatever, and that's great. (DH and I both had college debt ourselves, but here I agree with @Colleen27 that times are much different now then they were 20 and 30 years ago.) Choosing to not have debt by things like commuting or working or going to less expensive schools is ok, too. It's all about what works for the individual in both the short and the long term. I also think it takes a certain level of maturity to say, yes, I am commuting, or working to pay for school, whatever, amidst so much backlash from people who still want us to all believe that you must have the "college experience"!

Last edited:

It's also quite interesting to note that the major reasons given for extended living with parents is student loan debt and the rising cost of housing.

There has been mention on some of the college threads that a piece of some family's college payment plans includes a recent graduate moving home for a year or so to pay off the debt gained to help fund college.

I just know that every young adult, I know personally, who still lives with parents does it due to those types of reasons, or because it's more of a cultural norm. They are all fully employed.

I believe that for every $10,000 in loan debt it's *roughly* $100/month payment.

So $10K - $100/month
$15K - $150/month.

Those seem pretty reasonable.

It's when you get up into the $50K - $500/month
$100K - $1,000/Month

...that it gets pretty difficult, IMO.

Imagine every month starting off with paying out $500/month, say - just for student loans.

Before rent, utilities, car, food costs, or incidentals (let alone retirement savings, insurance and such). One would have to pull a very decent salary as well as live in a relatively affordable area in order to make it work comfortably. And keep fingers crossed.

But this often isn't what we're seeing.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least three young people I know who have/had over $200,000 in student debt at the Bachelor's level. Not talking dentists here, just regular folk working regular jobs. $2,000/month out of the gate. One told me that in ten years, he's gotten his debt down to $100,000. Another joined the military reserves which reduced it by $50,000, but still owes $150,000 and now has to serve every third weekend on top of working a full time job. Two said they'd do it all over again, and one said she wouldn't.

Honestly, starting out here with a ton of debt is really difficult for people, as I've seen with so many. People at the beginning of this thread mentioned paying debt off quickly. I know plenty of people who are well into their 30s wth homes of their own and young children who are still under mountains of student debt.
I also think it depends on what the loan is, the repayment conditions, the interest rate, what you'll end up with paying at the end of the repayment term when you're considering the interest rate based on when you took out the loan and the conditions of that rate, how much of the payment is going to principal over interest, etc.

As an example the interest rate that I'm being charged on my Federal student loans is more than it is now but I started college in 2006 and graduated in 2010. The rates for federal loans flucuates over time.

And while the rising cost of tuition, housing and all sorts of other things impact the feasibility of being able to pay back the loans your interest rate can impact that ability as well.

Really this question of how much to take out is so subjective it's not very easy to answer. I do think looking over the monthly payments for the various amounts of loans is a good option. For me just about $20,000 in Federal student loans (4 years worth from 2006-2010) equals $226.56 per month. But for someone starting out this year their interest rates will be different than mine were.

I don't think the issue should be "how much" so much as, what exactly are you paying for? I love my college experience, it was extremely important for my growth as an independent person and nearly all of my personal value came from living on campus, being involved in student government, etc. I went to a relatively small liberal arts college and it wasn't extremely expensive nor extremely cheap. It was close enough to home to get there when I wanted/needed but not so close that I went too often. It was close enough to the big city that I could go there on weekends, but not so often that I got distracted from my college life (too much). But I probably could have gotten the same value of education elsewhere, for less. A number of factors made it so that I was able to move on financially relatively quickly after graduation. But I know people who have gone to expensive schools that 10+ years later leave them still paying off loans. If they could go back and choose a different program, knowing what they know now, would they? I don't know. But I think the conversation of value, and a realistic conversation about just how much it costs, and how long it is going to affect spending as young adults are also attempting to get their lives started as independent individuals, is important. That we ask 17yo kids to figure all this out is kind of mind-boggling to me.

some of us intimately know the people we speak of through personal interaction-they are our family members, neighbors and co-workers not someone we might interact w/ for a few hours in a volunteer setting (and frankly-none of the multiple universities and colleges around me offer or solicit any volunteer opportunities for non students), the community opportunities are there to serve the community not to afford someone volunteering a socialization or observation platform.

I believe that for every $10,000 in loan debt it's *roughly* $100/month payment.

So $10K - $100/month
$15K - $150/month.

Those seem pretty reasonable.

It's when you get up into the $50K - $500/month
$100K - $1,000/Month

...that it gets pretty difficult, IMO.

Imagine every month starting off with paying out $500/month, say - just for student loans.

Before rent, utilities, car, food costs, or incidentals (let alone retirement savings, insurance and such). One would have to pull a very decent salary as well as live in a relatively affordable area in order to make it work comfortably. And keep fingers crossed.

But this often isn't what we're seeing.

Off the top of my head I can think of at least three young people I know who have/had over $200,000 in student debt at the Bachelor's level. Not talking dentists here, just regular folk working regular jobs. $2,000/month out of the gate. One told me that in ten years, he's gotten his debt down to $100,000. Another joined the military reserves which reduced it by $50,000, but still owes $150,000 and now has to serve every third weekend on top of working a full time job. Two said they'd do it all over again, and one said she wouldn't.

i get what you're saying but i'll just throw this out there-

i can only speak for myself (but it was a commonality among those i knew back in the late 80's/early 90's)-

my car note was close to $300 a month (according to the inflation calculators that's about $562 now),
i had rent, utilities, car/renters insurance, health insurance, union dues, food and incidentals. my union dues were about what my dd pays for her cell phone so it's kind of a wash there.

did i live 'comfortably'? well, it wasn't in squalor but it doesn't even come close to what even 20 year old apartments offer these days (no microwave, fridge from the 50's, no dishwasher, microscopic little cooktop/oven, no washer and dryer on the property, no parking lot let alone covered parking). i could have gotten all of that but i couldn't afford it b/c the jobs i was educated for were in the high cost san francisco bay area and i (and most of my peers) couldn't afford those rents so we went with what we could afford-and commuted 2 hours each way/5 days a week. many of us also had side jobs to make ends meet. retirement savings??? i know everyone today runs around saying if kids don't start saving for this in their 20's they are doomed-but we didn't, we couldn't (didn't know anyone who really did until at least early 30's)-and we were not doomed (currently retired-and much more comfortable than i was when first starting out).

i think the level of 'comfort' can be fluid-what i grew up with as comfort certainly wasn't what i walked into as an independent self supporting adult but i aspired to it and managed to raise the bar over time. my dd certainly isn't living at the level she lived in here at home but it's better than what either dh or i had out the gate so that's progress.

p.s. i can't begin to imagine over $200K in student loans for a bachelors unless it was b/c of personal choice. many have posted tuition rates and others have shown how those can be reduced through opting to live off campus, in multiple roommate situations, at home commuting (which i did) so for me, i feel there has to have been some kind of options there that for whatever reason the person(s) made their own choice(s) on resulting in that amount of debt. i also kind of wonder what kind of $200K degree has a career path where the norm is starting wages of $24K per year? again-personal choices, but i have to think they chose a degree where the income doesn't support the expense (and how does someone who makes $24K a year pay off $100K in 10 years, i can't wrap my mind around those numbers-they have to be getting other financial help/have much higher income).

p.p.s. student loan repayment rates can greatly differ-dd has some that are JUST coming due for starting repayment and at about $12K she's looking at less than $90 per month (w/the interest reduction for auto pay). she plans to pay more but it really depends on the source of the loan and what the rates were like at the point it was taken, some are very manageable.

But positive generalizations of a generation seem to be ok...e.g. ”The greatest generation”. Here’s how I see it. There are overgeneralizations b/c it IS a trend like the pp said & then enough of us have experienced ppl who fit in that generalization so makes it seem even more true. I do know some ppl who don’t fit it, but I see them as the exception. I don’t think I’d take it as an insult if I raised a child from a generation that had negative generalizations. If my child did not fit the mold, I’d be proud that they were an exception to the negative generalizations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter