What do I need for a plane trip?

MsMamaBear

Mouseketeer
I booked our flight for our trip and I wondered what do I need for her ID? Do I just bring her birth certificate? Will I need a letter from her dad since he is on the birth certificate although not active? I didn't think anything of it til now. It's a domestic flight, so it's not like I'm trying to leave the country. Just got super worried after I was super excited!(It's her first flight!)

This is so tiring ladies and gentlemen. So tiring.

I'm no help at all given I'm not a citizen, but for peace of mind I would attempt to get something. It would be awful to do all of that planning and have issues at the airport.

Good luck!

I booked our flight for our trip and I wondered what do I need for her ID? Do I just bring her birth certificate? Will I need a letter from her dad since he is on the birth certificate although not active? I didn't think anything of it til now. It's a domestic flight, so it's not like I'm trying to leave the country. Just got super worried after I was super excited!(It's her first flight!)

Congrats on your trip! It is a good idea to bring a photocopy of her birth certificate (don't bring the original) but it is absolutely not necessary. Check with your airline to be sure, but I think non of them require child IDs for domestic flights. We are flying Delta and they don't.

I first flew with my twinnies last year and I intended to bring copies of their BCs...can't remember if I did, because we were never asked!

Be sure to bring bubble gum and give her a piece to chew right before take off to prevent any ear-clogging-popping issues. Little kids are much more susceptible to this.

Whenever I have traveled with my little guy I bring a copy of his birth certificate and copies of court documents stating I am the sole parent due to terminated rights. No one has batted an eye or asked to see them but I feel better bringing them!

Thanks ladies! That helped a lot. I don't have papers because we were never married, but hopefully there is no problem. I'll be bring those anyway.

I live up in Canada and take my nieces on my Disney Trips. I have their passport and a note from their parents (rarely does anyone even ask, and that's just to cross the boarder-more often than not it's when we are trying to return home).

For flying I would bring gum, fruit snacks or lollipop for ears. I also bring a spill proof bottle for drinks-last thing I want is juice everywhere-pick one with a decent sized opening for ice cubes.

Congrats on your baby girl's first flight. Exciting! Contact the airline for required documents for their specific airline. Most airlines require you to show them the birth certificate the first time they fly on that airline. After that, it's already in the system and not necessary on subsequent flights with that airline. You shouldn't need a note from the other parent for domestic travel. My ex travels with my son domestically without a note from me. Hope that helps. Congrats again.

Thanks ladies! I talked to my lawyer and I'm super prepared now. We are going to have an awesome flight! Then it's waiting til her passport appointment so we can apply for that finally! :)

Last edited:
I've traveled with my 5 year old. I always take a copy of his birth certificate and I keep a copy of my custody agreement in my email. Happy travels.

For our first flight I took copies of my kids birth certificates but was never asked to show any kind of ID for them. If you were flying internationally you obviously would have to show a passport which requires both parents to show in person or a notarized letter authorizing the request from the parent who doesn't go to the application location for children under 16.

For our first flight I took copies of my kids birth certificates but was never asked to show any kind of ID for them. If you were flying internationally you obviously would have to show a passport which requires both parents to show in person or a notarized letter authorizing the request from the parent who doesn't go to the application location for children under 16.

Yeah, I went through asking him to sign it for 2 years (even had to cancel a cruise) before I just went to a lawyer and asked her about it. He's pretty absent now, so the special form should do it.

That stinks that you have to deal with all of that, I was pretty lucky that way. I am only just now going to get my kids their passports for our next vacation. They are old enough now that I don't need to get anything from my ex. I hope all works out for you and I'm sure you will have an excellent trip!!!

My son is 12 now & I've never had to show anything for him. It's a good thing too, because it never even occurred to me to take something.

I've never had to show anything for my 8 year old (and she's an international adoption so we don't even look alike). I've never been asked. Although, makes me think maybe I should just have her passport just in case. The only time I worried about paperwork for her was when we went on a cruise.

I never had to show anything to fly with my daughter- and I have taken my godkids when they were little and was never even asked for their birth certificates either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter