We're Home From the Road!! 17 Days of Travel with Tons of Pics~COMPLETE!!

Day 2, Part 5​

As we finish up our time at Prehistoric Gardens.

Caught Ty & Derek on camera!!

Shyann:

Michayla:

My kiddos!!

We checked out the little gift shop, purchased a few small items and then loaded up the van and continued our travels south down Hwy 101.

Loved the latest update. I agree with you about the greasy food. Some of it looked good including the pancakes but like you I prefer french toast and honestly I am not a big breakfast eater. Most days I just have some cereal or oatmeal or even just a coffee LOL. When we do splurge and eat breakfast I always feel so full and bloated. That's too bad that that place was not as you remembered it.

So cool that you got to see some of the places in Coo's Bay that you used to live at and go to. That is a really nice fire station and memorial. So sad that those men lost their lives but what a nice memorial for them.

Loved the Dinosaur park. I don't know how we missed that on our trip in 11. We came down that same way and that looks familiar but maybe we just missed it. We went to the Trees of Mystery but didn't go to the drive thru trees either and I know they are close by as we did that back in the 80's on a similiar trip with my parents.

I also LOVE all the ferns and how green it is there. So pretty!

I would have loved the Prehistoric Gardens as a child -- I was majorly into reading about dinosaurs (along with reading about planets and ancient Egypt!:rotfl2:) in my younger years.

In fact, I went to Oregon as a kid (Coos Bay and Grants Pass included), and I'm not sure why the adults didn't take me to the Prehistoric Gardens!:confused3:confused3 I don't even think I was told that it existed. They opted for the Oregon Vortex, roasting marshmallows and hiking in the forest instead!

Very cool!

I think it might be fun to stand next to one of the dinosaurs to see the difference in size.

What a great experience for the kids I can remember my kids being wild about dinosaurs.

Loved the latest update. I agree with you about the greasy food. Some of it looked good including the pancakes but like you I prefer french toast and honestly I am not a big breakfast eater. Most days I just have some cereal or oatmeal or even just a coffee LOL. When we do splurge and eat breakfast I always feel so full and bloated. That's too bad that that place was not as you remembered it.

So cool that you got to see some of the places in Coo's Bay that you used to live at and go to. That is a really nice fire station and memorial. So sad that those men lost their lives but what a nice memorial for them.

Loved the Dinosaur park. I don't know how we missed that on our trip in 11. We came down that same way and that looks familiar but maybe we just missed it. We went to the Trees of Mystery but didn't go to the drive thru trees either and I know they are close by as we did that back in the 80's on a similiar trip with my parents.

I also LOVE all the ferns and how green it is there. So pretty!

It was a nice memorial....I'm glad they got the backing of the community to afford to put up a beautiful tribute for them.

Prehistoric Gardens was a childhood memory I still have......the boys all went as kids and now the 4 littles got their chance to go. It's due for a little refurb but I believe they do that during the winter months when the weather is pretty rainy and low attendance. They also have reduced hours that allow them to go in and do some things. They really need to trim the ferns and such to make the signs easier to see.

I would have loved the Prehistoric Gardens as a child -- I was majorly into reading about dinosaurs (along with reading about planets and ancient Egypt!:rotfl2:) in my younger years.

In fact, I went to Oregon as a kid (Coos Bay and Grants Pass included), and I'm not sure why the adults didn't take me to the Prehistoric Gardens!:confused3:confused3 I don't even think I was told that it existed. They opted for the Oregon Vortex, roasting marshmallows and hiking in the forest instead!

That's too bad that you didn't get to go as a kid.....it really was a pretty big draw to the southern Oregon coast as there aren't a lot of "attractions" here.

I have never been but it looks cool

It is pretty neat....especially if you like dinosaurs!!

Very cool!

I think it might be fun to stand next to one of the dinosaurs to see the difference in size.

What a great experience for the kids I can remember my kids being wild about dinosaurs.

They are "life-sized".....you feel pretty small in comparison to them. Shy was a little scared at first and wouldn't let go of Mike's hands....but once she figured out they weren't real or moved, she enjoyed herself.

I love the primordial look of the ferns. I think the overgrown look helps the mystic.

Day 2, Part 6:

We left Prehistoric Gardens and continued our journey south. Look it's the Pacific Ocean in Oregon!!

We stopped at McDonald's in Brookings (Ty & Derek walked to the Taco Bell). As we dined in the van, we had a seagull jump up on the hood and watch us eat.

We reached the California border right around 2pm.

Look it's the Pacific Ocean in California!! (it kinda looks the same.....lol)

We did a stretch break at the Trees of Mystery. We didn't have the time to go thru this attraction and we also couldn't see spending $110 for the 9 of us for a real short visit. The Trees of Mystery have trails that you walk and look at the beautiful redwood trees and read tales of lore. They have a gondola ride over the tree tops and a gift shop & museum that you can explore. Out in the parking lot is a 49'2" Paul Bunyan and a 35' Babe the Blue Ox greeting visitors.

It's a lot of fun to stand out and talk with Paul Bunyan....he banters with anyone that talks to him. Addy was going on & on when she said "You have a hairy chest".....he responded back~~ "and you are short!!". We cracked up over that one.

The kids sitting on Paul's boot.

These are from the parking lot.

Shy wasn't happy when it was time to go....but alas we needed to keep moving south.

I love the first seagull photo! That seagull was fascinated by your family! The seagulls in Avalon/Catalina get very comfortable around people (though they don't seem to be as interested in them as your seagull was in you guys!:rotfl2:), and they just perch themselves on railings nearby. Your seagull looks like it has a longer neck than the ones I was looking at last week.

Where did I see the Trees of Mystery not too long ago? I think, if I am not mistaken, they popped up in one of my beloved Hallmark Channel movies.:rotfl2::rotfl2: I don't think it was a holiday movie. It was probably a regular romantic comedy sort of thing. I think there was a single mom whose son wanted to see the Trees of Mystery, and then the guy she liked chased after them and found them there, at the site.

My first thought when I saw the seagull was "Mine! Mine! Mine!" :rotfl:

I love that Paul Bunyan was interactive! How fun is that?:rotfl:

Trees of Mystery sounds like a dime novel title.:lmao:

Day 2, Part 7:​

We traveled south 169 miles to the Chandelier Tree....aka: The Drive-Thru Tree.

Mike & the kids walked thru the tree.

We only stayed about 20 minutes...looking at the tree, watching people drive thru (which we couldn't do) and the gift shop. When we first parked, some idiot (who I'm sure was told NOT to attempt going thru the tree).....squeeze thru....scraping the pulled in mirrors as they inched slowly thru it. They had to have left marks down the side of their pickup. I would have laughed so hard (AT THEM) if they would have gotten stuck!! We traveled about an hour more to Willits.

We stayed at the Super 8. Wowsers......really nice motel!!! The rooms all faces a beautiful courtyard with a fountain. The rooms were nice & clean and the beds were comfy!! It ran us $105 per room (totally worth the extra $20 per room to get something decent and way nicer than the Motel 6 from the night before).

It was too late to take advantage of the pool/hot tub.

Wow! If we are ever in Willets I know where we can stay. What a nice looking place! I believe that green maybe the same green I have on the wall in our living room!

I love the first seagull photo! That seagull was fascinated by your family! The seagulls in Avalon/Catalina get very comfortable around people (though they don't seem to be as interested in them as your seagull was in you guys!:rotfl2:), and they just perch themselves on railings nearby. Your seagull looks like it has a longer neck than the ones I was looking at last week.

Where did I see the Trees of Mystery not too long ago? I think, if I am not mistaken, they popped up in one of my beloved Hallmark Channel movies.:rotfl2::rotfl2: I don't think it was a holiday movie. It was probably a regular romantic comedy sort of thing. I think there was a single mom whose son wanted to see the Trees of Mystery, and then the guy she liked chased after them and found them there, at the site.

I've never seen them get up on the car and watch you thru the windows....it was kinda creepy but funny at the same time.
That's funny that this place is in a movie.......It's been around I think since 1946 & still owned & operated by the original family.

My first thought when I saw the seagull was "Mine! Mine! Mine!" :rotfl:

I love that Paul Bunyan was interactive! How fun is that?:rotfl:

Trees of Mystery sounds like a dime novel title.:lmao:

I think someone said that at the seagull......lol

I didn't remember Paul Bunyan doing that before but Mike said it did. It was funny.

.......or a horror story!! :scared1:

Wow! If we are ever in Willets I know where we can stay. What a nice looking place! I believe that green maybe the same green I have on the wall in our living room!

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It was beautiful. They had a nice breakfast area (typical motel offerings...or lack of offerings). WiFi was free (everywhere we stayed which was nice).

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It was beautiful. They had a nice breakfast area (typical motel offerings...or lack of offerings). WiFi was free (everywhere we stayed which was nice).

I never expect that much out of a Super 8.

The Super 8 does look quite nice (the grounds and all) -- the beds are a good size too.

I've seen that Drive Thru Tree pop up on TV a couple of times. I'm trying to remember where. I think that the late Huell Howser did a show from that area (unless there is another Drive Thru Tree I am not thinking of) that included a stop at the tree, and in his typical, goofy, funny way he joked about the excitement of driving through the tree.

I also am inclined to think that the Drive Thru Tree made an appearance on one of Oprah's old episodes in which she and Gayle took a road trip. I could be wrong about that, though.

The Super 8 does look quite nice (the grounds and all) -- the beds are a good size too.

I've seen that Drive Thru Tree pop up on TV a couple of times. I'm trying to remember where. I think that the late Huell Howser did a show from that area (unless there is another Drive Thru Tree I am not thinking of) that included a stop at the tree, and in his typical, goofy, funny way he joked about the excitement of driving through the tree.

I also am inclined to think that the Drive Thru Tree made an appearance on one of Oprah's old episodes in which she and Gayle took a road trip. I could be wrong about that, though.

I think if memory serves me right and it may not there could be a drive thru tree in Yosemite. I seem to remember one.

Day 2, Part 8:

Once we got the van unloaded, we finally headed to dinner. Pretty late for the kids to be going to dinner after 8pm but it's how things worked out. We had chosen to eat at Lumberjack's prior to leaving for the trip and in fact, I had spoke to the manager about Shy's food allergies. (I emailed them and he called me like an hour later......there is still customer service out there!). We were seated in a section that was empty, other than a couple employees. Michayla was cranky and didn't want to sit in a chair......we didn't bring in her chair and wanted to try distracting her with her dvd player or toys.....didn't work. So since we had the section to ourselves, I turned some chairs to keep her corralled and let her loose. She was much happier.

We ordered our drinks & I asked for them to put a rush on Shyann's dinner since she was falling asleep. A while later, our drinks arrived and then they took our meal order. Service wasn't quick here or because I knew I had very tired kids....it just seemed slow. Well Shy's food didn't arrive early and came out with everyone's dinner......but Shy was a trooper and stayed awake and even got her dinner eaten.

Shy got the cheeseburger (no bun) with fries.....guess I missed getting the picture. Addy got the grilled cheese with fries.

Anthony got the French Dip.

Check out this burger Derek ordered.....it's called the Big Redwood Burger. It's a FULL pound of meat!!!

Ty got the SW Chicken Wrap.

I got the Fish-n-Chips.

I believe Betty had the Pork Loin Dinner.

Mike had a steak dinner.

The food was very good....just wish we could have done our dinner a tad earlier in the evening. It would have been much more enjoyable. It's definitely a place I would return to.

Derek almost finished the entire burger....but that bun was like eating an entire sourdough soup bowl (not hollowed out and then added the pound of meat and all the toppings). :eek:

We went back to the motel and quickly fell asleep. Room 1: Mike with Shy, Me with Michayla and Anthony camping out on the floor. Room 2: Betty with Addy and Derek with Tyler.

I never expect that much out of a Super 8.

This was not what we were expecting out of a Super 8....especially for the prices.

I think if memory serves me right and it may not there could be a drive thru tree in Yosemite. I seem to remember one.

I think there might be another drive thru tree somewhere.....but I believe the Chandelier Tree is the original?? Seems to me others have commented on one being closer to Tree of Mystery, including Kelly. The Chandelier Tree was a good 3 hour drive south.

Oh my gosh! Words escape me as far as that cheeseburger goes.:rotfl: And Derek :worship: :lmao:

I was just looking on google there are actually three drive thru trees. All along the coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter