We’ve Arrived at Disney Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point!

Also the fact DCL didn't even try to make it attractive is sad. It can help motivate kids if you can say things like keep walking until you get to "the green triangle" or the "mickey painting" and we will take a break. This is going to look endless at the end of the day.
They might still do something to decorate it. I'm sure that it wasn't high on the list of things to get done in time for opening day, though. We'll see!

Hey families! Spend a magical day at the beach. Except at the end of the day when your kids are exhausted and everyone is hot and sandy and carrying beach gear you get to walk this giant pier. Hope it isn’t storming!

I get the long pier for marine preservation, etc but they should have transportation to help. That is a long walk for families, people with mobility issues, etc

They might still do something to decorate it. I'm sure that it wasn't high on the list of things to get done in time for opening day, though. We'll see!
I keep hearing the refrain of DCL will fix or add or change etc but this is their Media Preview. DCL knows photos of that pier are going viral today. They had a chance to improve the optics somewhat and they chose not to. DCL is hosting the media, this should be their best foot forward with images that make people eager and excited to book a cruise to Lighthouse Point and the first impression for many is going to be photos of an extremely long pier with no real touch of whimsy.

This isn't Castaway. The first images of the island are not drop dead gorgeous IMO. This isn't even the parks where even from the parking structures you can see icons to get you excited- Castle, Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth, etc. That pier and that view is the first thing guest see and I expected DCL to do better. Coco Cay has a better and more inviting pier.

Will the pier being further out help ships dock more reliably? Thankfully we've never had a failed Castaway day but I'm always kind of worried about it.

Will the pier being further out help ships dock more reliably? Thankfully we've never had a failed Castaway day but I'm always kind of worried about it.
When a ship can't dock at Castaway it's usually because of wind. Even if the ship can dock at LHP in the wind, do you want to walk down that dock if it's windy? And there is no way they are going to let anyone on that dock if there is even the slightest chance of lightning (for very good reason).

That looks terrible. I don’t mind walking, but generally you are wearing beach foot wear. As someone with an old ankle injury, walking that would make it hurt so bad. Wearing sneakers is another thing to pack and then you risk getting sand in them.

I'm not really digging the island anyway from what I have seen. Now I look at this long walk and it might just be a day on the ship for us. However maybe they put a character every 100 feet as you walk to maybe give kids interest and excitement walking down the pier. Between no Dr Facilier on the new ride and seeing this pier I could really use a dole whip.

This is the same island that Princess Cruises uses for their private island, called Princess Cays on Eleuthera Island in the Bahamas. Been to it many times. (It is just on the other side of the island from the DCL Lighthouse Point area). Princess uses tenders to get from the ship to the island.

Did DCL build this "highway" in the ocean so they wouldn't have to tender? I am sure there will be trams to get you from the ship to the island? No way people can walk to and from that far especially in the sun and heat.

Last edited:
I'm not really digging the island anyway from what I have seen. Now I look at this long walk and it might just be a day on the ship for us. However maybe they put a character every 100 feet as you walk to maybe give kids interest and excitement walking down the pier. Between no Dr Facilier on the new ride and seeing this pier I could really use a dole whip.
We have stayed on the ship at Castaway Cay before and it was a great day! We loved the view from the ship, which we had almost to ourselves.

The island is amazing!!!!!

The family beach is incredible. It is as nice as Serenity Bay at Castaway.

Sure the landscape needs to grow in and mature but it does not detract from the beauty.
Are you there now? How do you know all of these things?

Did DCL build this "highway" in the ocean so they wouldn't have to tender? I am sure there will be trams to get you from the ship to the island. No way people can walk to and from that far.
Yes, Disney built the long pier to avoid tendering.

No, there aren't trams running on the pier. There are golf carts for those who need them and everyone else can walk. It's not that far. I think people are making a big stink about a minor inconvenience.

The island looks gorgeous to me, but I like a much more natural look. Once the planted vegetation grows, it will be even better.

I do have concerns about mobility challenged customers and that pier. Even with a bunch of golf carts, I could see a very long wait if people who don't have mobility concerns are tired and trying to use them. It seem like they should have just built the tram stop on the pier. Although it would need to be built bigger, it would have been money well spent to make it more of a first-class experience for customers getting off the ship.

Although it would need to be built bigger, it would have been money well spent to make it more of a first-class experience for customers getting off the ship.
Construction of the pier was one of the most contentious pieces of the development, though. I'm not sure that Disney could have made it larger.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

New DISboards Posts

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest