WDW bubble feel

Technically you need to cross a street (Disneyland Dr.), but that street isn't visible from the wide, shrubbery-lined pedestrian overpass between the DLH and Downtown Disney. So it isn't at all the same as crossing Harbor Blvd.

View attachment 896048

View attachment 896047
That's right! I forgot about the bridge. I've walked over to DL Hotel from Grand Cal a few times, but not right from the parks.

It’s a baseless opinion that you’re openly sharing. How would you react if somebody you knew started telling everyone ‘I don’t’t feel safe at all around them’ and when you confronted them, they respond ‘it’s MY opinion.’ Obviously that baseless opinion is going to impact you negatively.

In the two decades I’ve participated on these forums there’s been a perpetual stream of Disney-obsessed individuals who’ve never experienced life outside of WDW, decided to go to DL… and because it’s different, complain about safety. Nonsense. DL isn’t WDW. It doesn’t have the land to create the bubble that, for example, hides the fact that the All-Stars are nestled among several miles of run down hotels off 192 and would otherwise be a short walk from one of the nastiest Walmarts in the country.
I’m sorry you’re having a hard time understanding this, it’s MY opinion. It’s not baseless, it’s how I feel. You don’t have to share it, I have every right to express it. I clearly understand your opinion is different and give you the respect to express it please allow others to do the same. and with that I’m done responding to this question.

The fact is, when you stay on property, you are much less likely to experience the things some visitors find negative when going to and from Disneyland from their off-site hotels. Whether or not these are unsafe is a moot point. If it makes someone uncomfortable and/or gives them an uneasy feeling, then what's it to anyone else that they prefer to be on site and feel safer? This shouldn't even be an argument and I think it's unkind to give an opinion that negatively targets someone's pesonal view.

Religious zealots are more frequent in Downtown Disney than along Harbor Blvd. The Disney Bubble won’t protect you here. Not sure why Downtown Disneyland is considered public but Downtown Disney World (now Springa) isn’t.
Downtown Disney is subject to California laws about public activities at shopping centers:

Florida may have different laws. There may also be differences between Anaheim and RCID (or whatever they're calling it now) in the local laws that restrict allowable activities within the state laws.

Personally to me the bubble is totally worth it. Even with the stupid insane prices, but I don't cut out dinners and stuff like that. If you had to... I would really think long and hard on that. I have also stayed at the Westin (Marriott property) down on the corner of Katella and Disneyland Drive. I'll walk up Disneyland drive, cross the road at Pixar Place/Grand Cal and then head into Downtown Disney like anyone would if they were staying at Pixar Place. It's approx 1,850 feet before you're into the normal path Pixar Place guests would take, and thus entering the Disney bubble. Two intersections you'll need to cross (personally I cross Katella and then usually walk up the Grand Cal side of the road and then cross at Paradise Way since that seems to have a little less traffic than Katella). The Westin is a gorgeous new (~3 years?) hotel... honestly nicer than Disneyland Hotel... and shockingly is often like $350 before tax a night. You can also use points here (I think I've seen it as low at 40k/night). Personally the amount of "activity" on Disneyland Drive has been MUCH less than what I've heard on Harbor. That said, there was a homeless person sleeping DIRECTLY outside the Westin one one when I was staying there... I'm sure the Westin loves that. But walking up Disneyland drive I saw no one yelling their agenda, homeless/drug user, etc. Just some Disney goers making their way to or from the park. I usually stay here on the day I arrive since I get there late in the day (~7pm) and then depart the next day by 3 or 4pm to drive up to Universal Studios, then at the end of my trip I swing up to Universal Studios again, so sandwiching my Disney time, and I'll stay at the Westin again when I drive back to Disney since the next day I'll depart late in the day (~5pm) out of SNA. Those two times the Disneyland Hotel and $600+ minimum a night isn't worth it. BUT, then I'm at Disney mid trip for four days in a row, Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian for sure.

(The Westin also is **amazing** if you're an America Express Platinum holder. Not only can you use Amex points but you also get the fine hotels and resorts benefits and this location offers daily breakfast for two, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, wifi, and a $100 food and beverage credit. You also get a room upgrade when available and noon check in if available. I've only stayed there once before but was upgraded to a premium room on a high floor with fantastic theme park views. This year since I'm staying twice, once at the beginning and once at the end of my trip I'll get two $100 food and bev credits and I'll certainly make use of the late checkout both times since at the start of my trip I'll depart the Anaheim area around 3pm to head up to Universal Hilton for Halloween Horror nights and then at the end of my trip I'll leave at about 3pm to head to SNA for my late flight home. I'm very curious if I'll get lucky either, or both times, on getting an upgrade. The Westin also will trigger the Platinum's $200 hotel credit, and earn 5x MR points. Two nights at the Westin, a Fri-Sat and then Sat-Sun later in the week is running me $830 after tax while one Disneyland Hotel night is running me $787 after tax. If I factor in my $200 Amex credit the Westin drops to $630 for the two nights...)
You sure make the Westin sound amazing--I even tried to book it for our December trip! But they don't have rooms that sleep five. One benefit to on-site for some of us is that all the room sleep 5. (Although I recognize we could get a hotel on Harbor that sleeps five for less than on-site.)

You sure make the Westin sound amazing--I even tried to book it for our December trip! But they don't have rooms that sleep five. One benefit to on-site for some of us is that all the room sleep 5. (Although I recognize we could get a hotel on Harbor that sleeps five for less than on-site.)
I was shocked at the Westin... if it wasn't the pull of the Disney bubble, I would stay there every single time. I've seen the price spike at times, but it's crazy there are any dates that are in the low to mid $300s for a standard room (and it really helps with my Amex perks)

The Grand Californian definitely has a nice Disney bubble feel! If your budget allows it, I would stay there.

We used to stay at the Hyatt House, which is a 10-15 minute walk. We have small kids and like to take a mid-day break. We never felt unsafe walking back to our hotel, but were definitely transported out of the magic. On one walk back for our mid-day break we passed by someone who had overdosed and was being revived by paramedics on the sidewalk in front of the Tropicana (very close to Disneyland and in the prime offsite hotel area). This is unfortunately a part a of life, but one we would just rather not deal with on a Disney vacation. Offsite does have some nice advantages like quick access to several stores like CVS and Riteaid, which is great for grabbing things you forgot!

And I’m more sorry that you can’t form sustained, educated opinions. It’s acceptable to say the concept is foreign and different and outside your comfort zone. It’s not acceptable to declare it unsafe.

As I mentioned earlier, imagine if somebody TOLD OTHERS that they felt unsafe around you, because they didn’t care for your physical appearance. Ignorant “opinions” are best kept to themselves
In the end, all your “passion” and anger just push people like me to spend our travel dollars somewhere else, so you win, that’s 10,000 I won’t contribute to your tax base this year, other States welcome our money.

Last edited:

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest