Want to "trade up" to a TT but not sure what a 3/4 ton tow vehicle means

I think now that the thread has refocused itself the discussion should continue, I for one looked forward to continuing.

There is an interesting discussion on outbackers.com on a thread started by a hotshotter that hauls new RV's for a living. He stated that he is seeing more and more gas engine trucks with the new 6 spd auto trans being used for professional full time haulers. The reality is that the new trans allows the engine more economy and power by maximizing RPM's for a particular load and grade. The initial cost of the diesel as well as the increased maintenance and higher fuel is not offset by the increase in mileage of diesel vs gas.

Scott, since we are back OT... I was looking seriously at a Toyota Tundra as a second vehicle that could also be a tow vehicle. I was surprised to see a rating of over 10,000# on it. That seems plenty for a medium 5er, but what do I know. I was wondering your opinion as to whether this is a suitable tv? Thanks in advance.

Shan, we had an '05 Tundra and it was not the bigger version they have out now, but it was all we needed with our former TT. We never had a problem with it. All we did was change the oil, fill 'er up, and change the tires and belts. We traded down to a Tacoma when we got the MH because we just didn't need that much truck. It was a really great truck.

Scott, since we are back OT... I was looking seriously at a Toyota Tundra as a second vehicle that could also be a tow vehicle. I was surprised to see a rating of over 10,000# on it. That seems plenty for a medium 5er, but what do I know. I was wondering your opinion as to whether this is a suitable tv? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I have no experience or product knowledge for the Toyota, I live in the heart of GM country, its sacriligious to use the "T" word around here :lmao:

Double check the bed weight capacity of the Tundra. It may be rated to tow 10,000lbs, but it may not be rated high enough to handle the hitch weight of a 5er when it is hooked up.

Similar to what was posted earlier, the towing capacities that are coming out for the newest 1/2 tons are very high. It just seems odd when a 1/2 ton is basically rated the same as a 3/4 ton.

OP here. Another busy day at work followed by DD's Irish dance class, and what do I find? (A bunch of adults who ultimately manage to play well together in the sandbox, and who have some interesting viewpoints. Wish my family was more like that. Thank goodness we're not discussing politics.)

I'm a little confused about this, though - for those who have TTs, is the reason that you put stuff in the TV "trunk" (or bed or whatever) to avoid going over the maximum rating for your TV? What kind of "stuff" do you not put in the trailer? And why? Does this make a difference as to why you picked your specific TV?

Thanks for putting the discussion back on track as far as vehicles and not getting derailed. I chose this group for my info source, and I think it was a good choice.

--Pat

1. It's true that you will get a wide range of opinions and anytime you use the internet you are responsible to sort out the wheat from the caff which is true on DIS here also.

2. Well your 80% comment is interesting since we have already had a post on that and no one questioned it ... interesting:confused3

3. If you don't have "TIME" to carefully read my posts then maybe you shouldn't quote them, respond to them, or take issue with them nor judge me as being "holier than thou" and I am sorry for my lack of the ability to communicate with you which I don't have a problem with others. If you're going to "LEAP TO CONCLUSIONS" w/o consideration or actually reading "CAREFULLY" the post, I would suggest you not reply to that particular post.

Larry

whatever, go stay on the fort board, remember this side is beneath you.

as a former Nissan owner that "pulled" 9500lbs and dropped the transmission, take extra care.

OP here. Another busy day at work followed by DD's Irish dance class, and what do I find? (A bunch of adults who ultimately manage to play well together in the sandbox, and who have some interesting viewpoints. Wish my family was more like that. Thank goodness we're not discussing politics.)

I'm a little confused about this, though - for those who have TTs, is the reason that you put stuff in the TV "trunk" (or bed or whatever) to avoid going over the maximum rating for your TV? What kind of "stuff" do you not put in the trailer? And why? Does this make a difference as to why you picked your specific TV?

Thanks for putting the discussion back on track as far as vehicles and not getting derailed. I chose this group for my info source, and I think it was a good choice.

--Pat

Having the bed of my truck to put stuff in just makes it easier to haul stuff that you don't want in your TT. I have always drove 3/4 and 1 ton trucks since I was a teenager. So now I always buy 1 ton diesels so I can haul what I want, and my trailer can haul 4 thousand pounds of cargo. So I don't worry about overloading either. Some stuff when we go camping after 2 weeks its dirty so I would rather throw it in the bed of the truck then the trailer. Also my travel trailer is a toy hauler and it will hold both of my golf carts inside. But if I need more room inside the trailer I can put one in the bed of the truck.(another good reason for a long bed)

Some stuff I put in the bed of the truck. Coolers ,fire wood, propane fireplace, propane,tools, charcoal, those big out door mats for under the awning, bikes. There is more but that some of the stuff I have taken on trips at one time or another.

We use the bed of the truck mostly for bicycles and firewood. When we dry camp at our local state park, we also add an outdoor fireplace (campground doesn't have firepits) and extra water hoses (to reach faucets). When we camp with friends we usually add a cooler or two full of ice. This is mostly all big, bulky, and many times dirty stuff!

The floor plan limitations of a 5er (bedroom upstairs and bathroom IN the bedroom) were the limiting factors in out price range. In a perfect world I would be able to pull a 5th wheel while still using all of my bed and have a bathroom near the living area, unfortunately the REAL world gets in my way.

As others have said, I use the bed of the truck for bikes, firewood, my dutch oven, grill, cleaning supplies and bucket, leaf blower etc. I really wouldnt want most of that stuff in my trailer.... although some of the basement compartments on the 5ers are pretty spacious. Isnt it funny that with RV's everything has an "except if you do this" ;)

--Pat

We haul golf cart and ramps, jon boat & motor, big grill, firewood, bikes, elec. scooters, coolers, leveling planks and hitch wood box thingy. Tho not all at the same time. LOL

The floor plan limitations of a 5er (bedroom upstairs and bathroom IN the bedroom) were the limiting factors in out price range. In a perfect world I would be able to pull a 5th wheel while still using all of my bed and have a bathroom near the living area, unfortunately the REAL world gets in my way.

As others have said, I use the bed of the truck for bikes, firewood, my dutch oven, grill, cleaning supplies and bucket, leaf blower etc. I really wouldnt want most of that stuff in my trailer.... although some of the basement compartments on the 5ers are pretty spacious. Isnt it funny that with RV's everything has an "except if you do this" ;)

Scott -- we saw an incredible 5er on Saturday with a loft and bunkhouse as well as master bedroom setup that DD loved. It's price was also incredible -- $81k regular, $51k show special. No way, DD!! We didn't see the TT make that you have, but the configuration of the ones we liked are very very similar (I finally googled yours last night).

Does it make me less of a camper if I admit that my "grill" is a George Foreman, not a big gas grill, so putting it in the truck vs the camper wouldn't be a problem? Well, I do have a Thermos GrillnGo too, but it fits in the little bin under the MH right now. We usually buy firewood where we camp and the only bike we have is DD's, which is on a bike rack on the back of the MH right now. I can see putting that in the TV, because I'm pretty sure you can't put a bike rack on a trailer, but am I otherwise missing something here?

I'm a little confused by the cleaning supplies and hoses and stuff like that - do you mean like windex and stuff - don't they just go in the bathroom area? Wouldn't that blow out of the TV if you've got an open bed truck? Most of the rest of what you all take is way more than we use. Does that make me a slacker? :sad1: (please tell me I'm not a slacker)

I meant cleaning supplies for the truck and trailer, things like my wash brush and bucket, towels and stuff like that. I like my stuff to look nice and my wife only allows me to wash the truck once per vacation :)

The only way you could be "less of a camper" is if you stay in the cabins at FW, rumor has it that they arent really considered campers.

I meant cleaning supplies for the truck and trailer, things like my wash brush and bucket, towels and stuff like that. I like my stuff to look nice and my wife only allows me to wash the truck once per vacation :)

The only way you could be "less of a camper" is if you stay in the cabins at FW, rumor has it that they arent really considered campers.

A Harris poll of likely voters confirmed your suspicions.... 89% of those polled agreed that cabin people aren't campers.

Does it make me less of a camper if I admit that my "grill" is a George Foreman

Absolutely not!!! It's a George Foreman grill!!!

I'm pretty sure you can't put a bike rack on a trailer

Sure you can put a bike rack on a trailer. We had one on our 1987 Coachman TT. No problem at all!

IF I could convince DH to go back to a trailer vs. a motor home, it would probably be a 5'er. I love the lay-out's and room 5'er's offer over a TT. Also, I'm told that towing a 5'er is more stable than towing a TT. I know that when we had the Coachman, I HATED when any large vehicle went past me. It made the trailer sway, even though we had all the correct towing gear and stabilizer bars. Talk about "white knuckle fever"!!! YIKES!!

So glad this thread got back on track...Thanks Larry!:thumbsup2 (for putting the gator back in the swamp!;) )

:rotfl2:

Good luck OP with your choice! I think 5th wheels pull better than TT in all instances no matter the tow vehicle, but it is up to you to research where you choose and see what is best for your family!:)

I own an '07 Tundra with 10,200# towing capacity, but would not feel comfortable with a fifth wheel in that bed. It could certainly tow some of the smaller ones, but there is still a noticeable drop if I connect the trailer without weight distribution. I've loaded firewood in the back (fresh cut white oak) and it will do better than my '02 Tundra, but I would own a true 3/4 ton or 1 ton for a fifth wheel.

Don't get me wrong, it has the engine and braking capacity, but I think they keep the suspension soft for the smooth ride that most of us would want for a daily driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter