VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I am staying at BRV for the first time in May. Do I check in at the main lodge or is there a separate lobby/check in for BRV? This will be a one night stay added on to the beginning of my trip. I do not plan to do a park on arrival day. What are the best things at the lodge that I should be sure to check out?

I stayed at the main lodge 25+ years ago for my honeymoon. We did a couple different tours offered from the lobby. One was architecture/details and one was about the restaurants and had food samples. Do they still do these?
You check in at the main hotel lobby, although BRV does have its own small (and cozy!) lobby.

The pools at the resort are very nice and we are big fans of Geyser Point. The lobby itself is worth more than a quick glance; it is stunning! Also, we enjoy using the watercraft to go to the parks (although you have no plans to do so); it’s a nice change from the bus. There is still at least one tour offered, although I don’t know how often it is offered. I’m sure a CM can help you out there.

I stayed at the main lodge 25+ years ago for my honeymoon. We did a couple different tours offered from the lobby. One was architecture/details and one was about the restaurants and had food samples. Do they still do these?
When you're there, check the monthly resort recreation calendar posted in the lobby. This is the one for March 2024, and the architectural tour is still offered: https://www.disboards.com/threads/monthly-resort-recreation-calendars.3871996/post-65352470

I am staying at BRV for the first time in May. Do I check in at the main lodge or is there a separate lobby/check in for BRV? This will be a one night stay added on to the beginning of my trip. I do not plan to do a park on arrival day. What are the best things at the lodge that I should be sure to check out?

Check in online in advance and you won't have to go to a desk anywhere!

You check in at the main hotel lobby, although BRV does have its own small (and cozy!) lobby.

The pools at the resort are very nice and we are big fans of Geyser Point. The lobby itself is worth more than a quick glance; it is stunning! Also, we enjoy using the watercraft to go to the parks (although you have no plans to do so); it’s a nice change from the bus. There is still at least one tour offered, although I don’t know how often it is offered. I’m sure a CM can help you out there.
Thank you! I do plan to catch the boat to MK when I check out. Hopefully it will work out to take a tour to truly appreciate the details.

There's a 150 in my use year that I was very tempted by. But then I did the math and for the amount of trips/length/room type/etc. that we take...it would be too many points for us. Probably for the best that I'm being logical about it. But dang...I want some more points. Ha!

There's a 150 in my use year that I was very tempted by. But then I did the math and for the amount of trips/length/room type/etc. that we take...it would be too many points for us. Probably for the best that I'm being logical about it. But dang...I want some more points. Ha!
Every time I think about adding on, I make myself look over the dues chart. . .which promptly snaps me back into reality. pirate:

Every time I think about adding on, I make myself look over the dues chart. . .which promptly snaps me back into reality. pirate:
And I look at my age and the expiration of VWL contracts and I'm amazed at how much value the points have with only 17 years of use left in them! At this point, I could still sell my contracts and more than recover my investment cost.

But I'm good with riding the contracts out until they expire (if I make it that long myself). With grandkids, 17 more years ought to be just about right.

And I look at my age and the expiration of VWL contracts and I'm amazed at how much value the points have with only 17 years of use left in them! At this point, I could still sell my contracts and more than recover my investment cost.

But I'm good with riding the contracts out until they expire (if I make it that long myself). With grandkids, 17 more years ought to be just about right.
Only 17 years left? ☹️. I was just telling myself it was 19 earlier today…clearly my math skills are degrading with age…🤣. But I agree, I could sell for more than I bought in for. Crazy! 250/point for new contracts from Disney?🤮🤮

Only 17 years left? ☹️. I was just telling myself it was 19 earlier today…clearly my math skills are degrading with age…🤣. But I agree, I could sell for more than I bought in for. Crazy! 250/point for new contracts from Disney?🤮🤮
Technically the contracts don’t expire until early in 2042, but I think of them really expiring 12/31/2041 since I have no idea how Disney will handle all the points that have to be used those last couple of years. One tip I read that makes a ton of sense is to make sure you are in a borrowing mode the last few years. Banking points up against a hard expiration deadline could end up being very painful.

I thought I read that the deeds expire in January 2042. So I think that means that 2041 points are the last ones we get. I hope they have a way of letting people use those 2041 points past January 2042 though...otherwise December UY people will be stuck.

I thought I read that the deeds expire in January 2042. So I think that means that 2041 points are the last ones we get. I hope they have a way of letting people use those 2041 points past January 2042 though...otherwise December UY people will be stuck.
The deeds expire on January 31, 2042. Speculation is that DVC might modify banking, borrowing, and home resort window for owners of those resorts, but until announcements are made, it’s all a guess.

So, we've all heard of Throwback Thursday, but how about Wayback Wednesday?

As part of the history of our Groupies thread, we've preserved the links to the origination of said thread on Page 1. If you recall, in the past there were length limits on threads, so when a group such as ours reached the end of that limit, they had to start a new link. Before I took over the page in 2014, there were 8 other versions of our thread. Since I began honchoing the home page, no restrictions to page length; thus, we've become the most viewed and visited DVC Resort thread on the DIS! Amazing. Why? Because we're family. Okay, I don't get invited to your weddings, bar mitzvahs, or quinceaneras, but I appreciate reading of your families, of your trips to Disney, and even the sadder news because I know that means we have created a space where we feel welcome.

So, what does all this have to do with Wayback Wednesday? Below, I've copied the opening lines from the OP of the first iteration of this thread--diznyfanatic. At the time, it was called "The VWL Groupies and Trivia Thread" and was dated 22 November 2006. . .nearly 18 years ago! The OP went on to list some people who had scheduled visits, and most names I didn't recognize; however, there were a few who still post with us today, among them being bobbiwoz, WildernessDad, and to a lesser extent of late, Muushka. Here are those initial words:

"After voting for VWL in the recent poll, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where VWL fans can get together and discuss our VWL Home. The first thing I would like to know is where can I get some of that beautiful, relaxing, majestic music that plays in the lobby? Also, is anyone else reminded of VWL when they hear the music playing in Soarin'? :-)"

Expect more blasts from the past in the coming weeks and months! Have a great Easter weekend, Groupies! pirate:

Last edited:
So, we've all heard of Throwback Thursday, but how about Wayback Wednesday?

Expect more blasts from the past in the coming weeks and months! Have a great Easter weekend, Groupies! pirate:

Sleepy...nice callback on those days almost 18 years ago. At that time (2006) I had been on the DISBoards for five years but I still wasn't comfortable with giving vacation details publicly much less showing my ugly mug in a picture! So I did have a vacation planned for 2007 but wasn't sharing the details at that point. Even a Groupie meet during a trip was a little dicey to me...actually meeting people who I only knew from the Internet?

As the years have progressed, it has all changed of course. After dozens of WDW Groupie meets I am happy to include so many people as friends who share this common passion for Wilderness Lodge in general, and VWL in particular.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter