VGC Resale Listings

Chause

Earning My Ears
Anyone have recent experience with buying VGC Resale? I've been visiting as many websites as possible for the last month (there are a lot) and signed up for as many notifications from brokers as I can. So far it's been a bit like hunting for a unicorn. Most brokers don't have a VGC listing, and those that do are all "sale pending". For those with experience, about how long were you hunting for a VGC contract before one came about?

I closed on my VGC in January (offer submitted in late November). Yes VGC are unicorns and I rarely see them in the alert emails. That’s because when they are posted on a site, they have multiple offers within hours. At $235 per point direct AND the fact it’s the smallest DVC resort (and the only one at DLR), they are hot commodities. I recommend instead of alerts, visit the resale sites 2-3 times a day.

Oh and in November it wasn’t as crazy as now. Took me a week or two to find the contract and points I was looking for. Closed at $149PP for 160 points then. A steal just a few months later.

They do come up fairly regularly we bought a few years ago but the agent kept us on their list and we got emails for a long time very so often with VGC points for sale.

I had almost the exact same experience as @nikerbokers in January (160 points at $150/point). I'm in the process of adding on right now which was much much different. I'm becoming more and more convinced that it was an act of divine intervention:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/recommendation-download-broker-apps.3679180/

I really wanted add ons for VGC but just couldn’t bring myself to pay $200 PP for VGC for a 50-60 point contract. I went with 100 points for Poly instead, same UY and $55 less per point. Thanks for sharing the link to your story- you scored for sure!!!

I really wanted add ons for VGC but just couldn’t bring myself to pay $200 PP for VGC for a 50-60 point contract. I went with 100 points for Poly instead, same UY and $55 less per point. Thanks for sharing the link to your story- you scored for sure!!!

Thanks! God bless Disney, they make you feel like you "won" when you agree to hand someone $20,000. :badpc:

I just tried to purchase a 200 point VGC contract [400-2017 (200 banked) and 200 going forward] listed for $155/point. Needless to say it was grabbed hours earlier. I will be mildly sad for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Me too Sheryl! It was a little higher than the point amount I was wanting, so im not completely bummed out it was taken. How long have you been looking? One downfall of being on the west coast, most listing post before I get up in the morning. And i'm not sure how dedicated I am to this to set up a 4:00am website/email check every day. But I suppose that is almost what it takes....

Me too Sheryl! It was a little higher than the point amount I was wanting, so im not completely bummed out it was taken. How long have you been looking? One downfall of being on the west coast, most listing post before I get up in the morning. And i'm not sure how dedicated I am to this to set up a 4:00am website/email check every day. But I suppose that is almost what it takes....
I've purchased one contract but I'm wanting another. There is just NOTHING out there right now that I've seen. I'm glad you're taking it well...that contract was a beaut! I'll be major league bummed for both of us! good luck!!

I just tried to purchase a 200 point VGC contract [400-2017 (200 banked) and 200 going forward] listed for $155/point. Needless to say it was grabbed hours earlier. I will be mildly sad for the rest of the day.

That was a nice contract! But I never have luck with Fidelity. They seem to be gone the moment it hits the website.

Can sellers split the point total for one contract into two smaller point totals for two contracts? Been searching for a VGC contract and one finally showed up on thursday, but its 325 points, higher than what I was really looking for. I know price is negotiable, but is the point total for the contract ever negotiable with the seller?

Can sellers split the point total for one contract into two smaller point totals for two contracts? Been searching for a VGC contract and one finally showed up on thursday, but its 325 points, higher than what I was really looking for. I know price is negotiable, but is the point total for the contract ever negotiable with the seller?

No. Resale contracts are as-is and cannot be subdivided.

Thanks Aurora, that’s what I had figured....but thought I’d ask because it wasn’t addressed anywhere on their FAQs. I'm trying to figure a way to make this work and was wondering if people ever secure larger contracts knowing they will only use a portion of the points, and then just rent the remainder? And if you have, how has that worked out? I have enough family and friends that are Disney geeks like myself to rent my points to without going to a broker for point rental, so that's a bonus. Even if I rented out half of the points, its a pretty good portion of the contract that's being paid for by someone else (sans monthly dues of course). Having 325 points each year after its paid off (again, sans monthly dues) seems like a good place to be, especially if a portion of those have been paid for by other people.My logic may be way off, if anyone has experience with this id appreciate the input.

The closest thing you could do, although it's probably a very bad idea, is find someone to "invest" in it with you. Since you can have up to four names on a deed, it could work. One of the big downsides though is that if your other investors run into financial problems (or if they flat out refuse to pay), you're on the hook for all the maintenance fees.

Your renting points idea is better. You'll find quite a few posts from people on this board that make it work. Besides the normal risks of the economy going south and renters drying up, an initial outlay of $198/point makes the economics more challenging. There's a lot of debate about this but to keep it simple you're currently looking at (including maintenance fees) a cost of $10.59/point per year in 2018 dollars. Brokers like David's pay $14/point.

VGC is my home resort and September is my use year. When I saw that contract I had a similar thought to yours, but I already have 160 points and am in ROFR on 100 more, so there's no way I could justify having that much tied up in one resort. If this is your first contract there I think it could make sense but I'd want to see the price $25-$30 per point lower.

If you really want it, just offer less. The worst he/she can say is no. It’s a huge contract missing full points until 2020. $198pp is high IMO. Maybe someone will pay it, but I think it is too high.

Thanks Aurora, that’s what I had figured....but thought I’d ask because it wasn’t addressed anywhere on their FAQs. I'm trying to figure a way to make this work and was wondering if people ever secure larger contracts knowing they will only use a portion of the points, and then just rent the remainder? And if you have, how has that worked out? I have enough family and friends that are Disney geeks like myself to rent my points to without going to a broker for point rental, so that's a bonus. Even if I rented out half of the points, its a pretty good portion of the contract that's being paid for by someone else (sans monthly dues of course). Having 325 points each year after its paid off (again, sans monthly dues) seems like a good place to be, especially if a portion of those have been paid for by other people.My logic may be way off, if anyone has experience with this id appreciate the input.

People have bought to rent but that was more when the price per point was under $100. Getting a few extra points even at a higher price isn't going to be a huge difference either but tying up an extra $32,000 in a contract that is double the number needed at that high price (plus if it's stripped until 2020? That's not good for $198/pt IMO) is starting to reduce the value of having VGC points. I'd just be patient and wait until something around the number that could personally be used came up.

Thanks! God bless Disney, they make you feel like you "won" when you agree to hand someone $20,000. :badpc:
No kidding! And with Disneyland ticket and annual pass prices so expensive I keep waiting for the slow down. Not happening thus far. Parks and hotels are packed year round. I'm not sure how the average young family is making it work.

I'm not sure how the average young family is making it work.

It's just a hunch, but my theory is that most of them aren't. One thing that's fascinating to me, putting aside the location factor, is that BWV and BLT have about the same resale price per point right now, even though BLT's right to use is 18 years longer. Logically it should lead to BLT having a noticeably higher resale price, but of course that isn't the case. My theory with BMV is that a lot of well off retiring/retired baby boomers are purchasing purely for location because for most of them the 18 extra years is inconsequential and they now have more disposable income and time. I have no idea but I wonder if a similar dynamic is at play for VGC? Location, location, location, with much less regard to price. That would seem to point to well off retirees or younger folks with a lot of disposable income (maybe no kids?) Of course a couple important differences are that VGC is the only DLR DVC resort and it's a very small one at that.

Last edited:
The Grand Californian Hotel price, July, 4 people, studio, partial view with parking and taxes is over $900 a night. Do not see DVC prices going down

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter