Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run: Going the Distance with Disney & My Dissertation (comments welcome!)

Enjoying reading along your training log (and other posts on the forum). Impressed at how you are at sticking to the no added sugars to drinks (much better than I), love the book per week challenge (are you on goodreads?), and am now trying to reframe how I refer to the 4 race challenge during MW.

Enjoying reading along your training log (and other posts on the forum). Impressed at how you are at sticking to the no added sugars to drinks (much better than I), love the book per week challenge (are you on goodreads?), and am now trying to reframe how I refer to the 4 race challenge during MW
Thank you! This comment made my day. :)

I still haven’t had any soda! And there have been times when I wanted it BADLY lol. Usually I’m just hungry or thirsty and eating or drinking something else curbs the craving. I do need to work on my added sugars elsewhere. One step at a time. With that said, it took a lot of failures with it to get where I am now.

I am on Goodreads! Are you? Let’s be reading friends!

I still haven’t found a better name for Dopey even though I’m now technically doing it without the official Challenge label. I like the idea of the Hercules challenge… or just referring to it as 48.6… hmmm. Thanks for listening to my perspective! I’m kind of scared to share it on Instagram because the people there are v. Dopey oriented lol.

Pitt Drift Trip Report
Tuesday, May 17: Ohiopyle, PA to Cumberland, MD

I woke up very early on this day. I can’t remember our scheduled wake up time but I think it was 5:30 am with plans to leave by 7 am or so. I was anxious because this day was almost twice as long in mileage as our previous two, and we had been taking the entire day to complete a simple 40 miles: how would we get to the host by 5 pm when doing 75? So, I woke up early and started packing up because I wanted to make sure we could get the day started as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I should have just slept in because the morning ended up being a lot of hurrying up and waiting. To get back to the trail, we would have to ride down the steep hill we had done the previous day. Some people were uncomfortable doing this because they didn’t have a lot of road riding experience. So, the plan was to drive them to the trailhead. Because we only had the van, that meant the people who were riding had to wait for the van to return (which took two trips) so we could pack the van with everyone’s belongings before leaving. I am happy that these riders had a safe option, but I was a little frustrated that I had felt like I needed to get up earlier when I really didn’t. Oh well. I had a goal to not ride the van this trip, and I also have experience with descents, so I opted to do the whole ride. When it was finally time to leave, I headed out with Katrina. We were last to leave before sweep (two people who are selected to be the back of the group the whole day to make sure everyone is safe). Before we got to the descent we had a few small hills to climb, and I had to walk a little. I needed to raise my bike seat to get more power from my legs, but I was afraid to do do because when I played with seat height pre-trip the clamp broke. Sweep this day were two of our strongest riders, but they were great at staying behind and not riding on our tails or making us feel bad for not being faster. The downhill once we got to it was a little scary, mostly because of the winding and steepness at parts. We took it slow, though, and it was fine. Once we got into town we saw a bunch of our group stopped for coffee, but we opted to keep riding with the long day ahead.

42D76C54-2792-4C05-A303-F54A7D331B5F.jpeg
(Image description: My bike leaning against a bench that says “May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. In memory of Kevin Steede.” Apparently this is a song. But I liked the message.)

Katrina was a great ride buddy. She is a vet, and I loved getting to know her better. Once on the trail, we’d have a gradual incline for about 53 miles followed by a 20 mile descent. I was still feeling pretty bad, and Katrina’s conversation helped distract me. She also helped make sure I kept eating and drinking. We made it about 15 miles before our first break, and at some point some other riders joined us. Groups would leap frog a lot and riders would change groups occasionally. We listened to some Disney tunes on the trail with a speaker, and that was the best I felt on the ride. Turns out I don’t need electrolytes, I just need Disney music! Ha. Highlights included the Moana soundtrack. I would normally not listen to music on a bike— and NEVER with headphones— but since we were on a quiet trail with a speaker it felt okay. Later we were told we weren’t allowed to listen even then, though. I understand why safety comes first, but that music sure was a mood booster!

Lunch was at a little park with a gazebo. I felt terrible but managed to eat leftover pasta and an orange. Once we got back on the trail we saw some dairy cows and stopped to take pictures. Finally we made it to the Eastern Continental Divide which marked the top of our gradual incline. A large group of us was all there, and we stopped to dance and take pictures. I’m sad that because I felt so bad I didn’t really enjoy the moment or take a lot of pictures. The view was really lovely.

EF35EA78-B10B-4637-ACB6-37CD45F119CB.jpeg
(Image description: A bean on a fork in front of pasta and fruit. I joked that this was my lone source of protein on the trip. That joke was not entirely inaccurate.)

E40758E3-5253-4DD9-86D8-AC9DDF3F2077.jpeg
(Image description: Grazing cows!)

2DF6994C-CCD7-4E95-A830-F66D2202858D.jpeg
(Image description: A group of us posing in front of a tunnel that says Eastern Continental Divide.)

BF2E2FE3-946E-4597-9C31-5B563D1873B4.jpeg
(Image description: The elevation profile of the GAP and Towpath.)

At some point we had made it into Maryland I think, but there weren’t any state welcome signs on the trail. There’s a lot of benefits to trail riding over road riding, but I did miss the state signs.

We still had 20 miles to go, but it didn’t feel too daunting since they were all downhill and we would be able to coast basically the entire way (see elevation picture above). Still, it would take us about an hour or so and wasn’t a break— riding downhill requires effort and attention. I was at the back of the pack at the beginning, but eventually I passed everyone and went at my own speed. Since I weigh more I go a little faster. I would then wait for the group to catch up at stop signs and such so we weren’t really separated. In addition to feeling terrible in general, my foot problems were starting to act up. Based on some pictures other people have of me, my form was REALLY bad. I can tell I was in pain. I was just ready to be done. And finally, I was. We made it to our host in Cumberland, which was a nice church. Since my group got in later, we would have to wait until after dinner to go get showers at a local Y. I changed clothes, though, and sat for dinner.

Since I felt so bad, one of our leaders gave me some Salt chews, and it was like I was a new person. I finally felt hungry instead of nauseous. I had been taking in electrolytes all day through Clif Bloks and my Tailwind (although one packet of Tailwind was probably not enough), but it seemed that I needed a more concentrated supplement. I know this for running, but I didn’t think it’d affect me as much on the bike. Lesson learned. I was just grateful to finally feel better.

ECF1BD82-E14D-45BB-9C21-39EDD32F4D88.jpeg
(Image description: My watch, which reads 75.77 miles.)

The only option for vegans at dinner, which was provided by our host, was fruit so I ate that and some leftover pasta. The vegetarians didn’t have much, either— just potato salad since the main dish was fried chicken. So, we ordered Mexican food to pick up when we went to shower. On my previous B&B trips, food delivery/ordering was not as prevalent, so this was a nice change. Idk how the vegans managed on my previous trips (I was an omnivore then). I knew going into the trip that I would probably have to provide a lot of my own food, and I was fine with it, but it was hard sometimes!

One of the leaders drove us to the Y in the van, and we showered. After, I ate my dinner— vegetable fajitas— and was so happy that I had an appetite for the food! Some boys also ordered a lot of pizza— we were all very hungry, even those who had a full dinner. I also drank my Tailwind recovery and hydrated. The next day was supposed to be our longest yet: over 90 miles. And I was feeling anxious about it.

Oh, and with today’s ride we officially finished the GAP Trail! Very cool.

Most people slept downstairs, but Katrina found us a lovely room upstairs. It was hotter, but we figured out the fan. It was quieter with less people sleeping, and I slept SO GOOD. This was my first night sleeping on the floor on my air mattress, and it served me well! I have the Nemo Tensor Wide, which I recommend for other side sleepers like me. I am grateful for the good night sleep since our wake up call was at 4:30 am with plans to get on the road by 6:30 am (can you guess how that would go?). According to my Garmin, I slept 5 hours and 48 minutes… but with 1 hour and 33 minutes of deep sleep. Which is a lot more than I normally get.

97EA6CFC-49EC-4055-9204-37750AB7D1B6.jpeg
(Image description: My sleeping spot for the night in front of some pretty stained glass. I loved it. Also, B&B pro tip: sleep near an outlet.)

2776FDA8-EB00-421D-B761-D79E2BDF1A88.jpeg
C0BD2C85-3505-4D92-9515-248F1D674A64.jpeg
(Image description: Some stats from the ride. 30 mph max speed! Zoom zoom. Definitely could have gone faster on that first descent but I am cautious after knowing about too many accidents.)

Total mileage: 75.77 miles.

Pitt Drift Trip Report
Wednesday, May 18: Cumberland, MD to Hagerstown, MD

Despite my deep sleep, 4:30 am came toooo soon. I woke up pretty easily and packed up quickly. I had prepped a lot the night before anticipating the wake up (filled up my water— and also stored it in the fridge which is a great hack— for especially hot days you could even freeze your water bladder). I was one of the first out to the van again, and I waited and packed everyone’s bags as they brought them with the help of my chore group. We had breakfast, and a local alum brought coffee but I skipped that. There was definitely anticipation for the long day ahead. During our route meeting, we decided sweep the same way we had been— standing in a circle with a foot in and spinning a bottle. The girl it landed on was newer to riding, and this would be her longest ride ever. I knew she was nervous about even finishing it, so I volunteered to sweep in her place. (Fun fact: I swept a 112 mile day on my cross-country trip in 2012!) I felt more confident with the distance and with playing the role of sweep/helping people. I also felt sooo much better after those salt tablets (and I took two more before the ride). After I volunteered, Walt also volunteered to sweep with me. This was cool because Walt was actually on my cross-country trip with me! A reunion sweep! I know he probably volunteered because of the same reasons I did, but it was nice that someone wanted to ride a bike with me all day.

F9F77D19-B4CC-4DA0-BA54-0E5AA3CDC90B.jpeg
(Image description: Our feet in a circle with the fate-deciding bottle in the middle. Can you guess which foot is mine? (It’s the foot with the moon/sun Sandler and socks with bikes. I am nothing if not high fashion.))

As sweep, we had to be last to leave the host. Finally it was time to go— I think around 7:30 am (why it took us so long in the mornings, I do not know), and we made our way to the new trail: the C&O Canal Towpath. While the GAP trail was a converted railway (I think), the C&O Canal Towpath was, well, a towpath. So, in many sections there were two small dirt/rocky tracks with grass in between them. It was very beautiful to ride, with the morning fog and the water on one (and sometimes both) side. But it was definitely bumpier terrain.

81C9855E-C6AC-4607-A322-E4813848AE17.jpeg
(Image description: Sign at the beginning of the C&O Towpath. Don’t be fooled by the bricks— that won’t last long.)

ADDE3BDC-B770-4B48-ABE9-EDD0FF4E0D23.jpeg
(Image description: This is what a lot of the C&O Towpath looks like— two dirt paths with grass in the middle. It doesn’t look that bad but it was a bit bumpy with rocks!)

Walt and I would ride until we caught up to a group resting, then we would wait for them to go on and continue riding. With the bumpy terrain, I didn’t mind the breaks. Because it was a 90 mile day, we would have two lunch breaks. The first one was in Paw Paw, West Virginia (still no state signs) at a little park. There were a lot of gnats at this park. I also knew that there would be an unpleasant detour after this park and wanted to spend minimal time there (but of course had to wait for people to leave first). I ate a PB&J and an orange (I’m pretty predictable), and I had some of a sugar-free Monster that one of the leaders got for us Sweep! The caffeine boost was great. I couldn’t finish it all, so I hid it in the van for second lunch.

After lunch was the dreaded detour. The Paw Paw Bridge was closed for construction, so bikers had to take a side trail that went up and down a very big hill for 1.5 miles. The hill was still trail, so it wasn’t as scary as the hill two days before, but it was too steep and technical to ride up which meant hike-a-bike! For all that I dreaded this, it wasn’t as bad as I anticipated. Maybe it was the caffeine, but it was probably because we brought the Disney tunes back out for the hike! I don’t know if Walt had it on a random station or what, but the songs were literally perfect. We had Moana’s How Far I’ll Go. We had the classic Go the Distance. We even had You’ve Got a Friend in Me which admittedly is not my favorite song but it literally has the lyrics “when the road looks rough ahead, and you’re mile and miles from your nice warm bed, you just remember what your old pal said, boy, you’ve got a friend in me.” So many Disney songs just work for endurance events, haha. We made it to the top and elected to walk our bikes back down. There were other riders around us who were riding it, but it didn’t feel safe to us— too steep and technical. We made it back to the trail, and the 1.5 mile detour took us about an hour, but I felt accomplished. Back on the bike!

801782FA-61A5-4D9E-8A4E-A912B2DC714B.jpeg
(Image description: Elevation profile of the day featuring the big hill aka hike-a-bike.)

0A540721-F581-4421-9F39-EA3AE41CC0F0.jpeg
(Image description: Selfie of me and Walt walking down the hill. Smiles 100% attributed to Disney music.)

Eventually, we caught up to two riders, one of whom was struggling. She decided that she would call the van to pick her up because she felt too bad, so we found a nice park that the van could access and waited with her under a shady tree. It was pretty hot outside. Since we were sweep, we had to wait with her, but I was grateful for the break and chance to take my shoes off. I think we waited around 30-40 minutes. Once the van came, I stole another sip of my Monster, and we continued on our way.

There was a dilemma ahead. At one point, the Maryland Rail Trail runs mostly parallel to the Towpath. The Rail Trail is a wonderfully smooth paved road, and the Towpath’s bumpiness was getting to us. The rider who didn’t get in the van was still riding with sweep, and she was struggling a bit too. We knew that some riders had taken the paved path even though they shouldn’t have since it wasn’t on the cue sheet. This causes a dilemma because if riders are on different paths, sweep can’t make sure everyone is okay. However, it was too late for that so we opted to take the paved path and to make sure everyone had checked in at lunch 2 so nobody was missed from the towpath. The paved path was much needed. I forget how many miles we had on it— maybe 14 or so?— but it was a welcome respite for our hands and butts. I tried playing a riddle game to occupy the rider who was struggling, but I don’t think it worked. Eventually, we made it to lunch #2! And there was apple pie! And my Monster!

The rider we were with elected to stop at lunch #2, so Walt & I ate fairly quickly and then went on our way. We were starting to cut it close on time, and we still had 30ish miles to go. As I said in the previous day’s report, I had a personal goal on this trip to not get in the van. On my previous trips, I would use the van a lot— sometimes for I think valid reasons (one time I literally lost my glasses and then ran out of contacts when they kept drying up so I couldn’t see for three days until we got to a mail stop where I had contacts delivered) but sometimes I think I could have pushed myself harder. So, that was my goal. And I knew that I might have to surrender that goal on this day when I volunteered to sweep but I really didn’t want to. As we made our way out of second lunch, I learned that I would definitely be surrendering the goal— there was a group of riders who elected to stop at the end of the trail on our cue sheet and be vanned the last 7 miles into town. Due to time, Walt and I would have to van with them. I made peace with this because at least I would have done all of the C&O miles— the road riding to the host was just extra (and I would learn later that the route on the road was not good and somewhat dangerous). Walt and I booked it, and it felt like we were flying (really we were going like 14.5 mph, but this was a lot faster than the 11 we had been doing a lot of the day). Then… the whammies began. First we had to stop because I got a message that one rider had gotten separated and gone too far, so we worked to figure out how to help her get back to trail where the group was waiting for the van. We resolved that and went back to flying. And then… I got a flat!!! Nooo. I was prepared to deal with the flat and Walt helped me change it while I updated our leader, but she told us we wouldn’t have time to get to the end of the trail (which was only like 7 miles away at this point) because the van was almost there. We were right by a road, so the van would come get us. I was pretty disheartened. We made it 78 miles, which is not insignificant, but I did not want to get in the van. I had no choice, though, and felt comforted at least that it was not because I had given up. Had I been allowed, I could have finished the day. And sweep is an important job, and I was happy to volunteer to do it so some newer riders wouldn’t feel an extra pressure on such a big day. The reason we weren’t allowed to continue was because traffic gets worse later in the day and there was some road riding, which was already pretty bad, and because our host had dinner and a presentation for the group at 6:30 pm.

695DE3FC-71BE-4A82-8A07-0571C23367FF.jpeg
(Image description: Selfie of me holding my flat tube.)

The van came and we did some maneuvering to get everyone and their bikes to fit. And we drove to the host. Womp womp.

9BDABD16-2025-4C25-9B8B-2746D916D0EA.jpeg
(Image description: A peacock on the side of the road! Very cool.)

The host, though, made up for it all. We were staying at a shelter which is like B&B host Heaven. Once we got there the presentation had already started, so we sat down to listen in. We got to hear from two women who works for the local Habitat for Humanity, who we’d be volunteering with the next day, and from a woman who worked at the shelter. I was sad to have missed some of their talk because it was so interesting. The whole point of this trip is to raise awareness around affordable housing issues, and sometimes that gets forgotten in the excitement of biking all day. So I like to soak up any opportunity we have to work directly with the cause. During and after the talk they fed us, but it was not vegan so I ordered Indian food through DoorDash. And that Indian food, once it arrived, was amazing!

E4F40CAD-B1EC-4ECC-BD79-E4E50FB4721D.jpeg
(Image description: My delicious, albeit not the most photogenic, Indian food feat. vegetable korma and garlic naan.)

Reasons a shelter (which we had all go ourselves as it’s only fully operational in the winter) is B&B host Heaven: we had a full kitchen. We had BEDS. We had lots and lots of showers and bathrooms (including one completely private one). And… we had LAUNDRY! Having laundry at the host is pretty unheard of in B&B, and it was so so nice and made our lives a lot easier.

5BD6F7F1-A9C9-4922-833C-42388F52A1AA.jpeg
(Image description: My bed in the shelter. There are some motivational quotes on the wall— “Did you think to pray?” and “Worry ends where faith in God begins.” I am spiritual but not religious… but sometimes I find these types of quotes condescending given my struggles with mental illness.)

A few people contemplated going out because we had a later curfew on a build day eve and it had been a rider’s birthday the previous day. I thought about going out but decided against it. It had been a long day and I had a lot of chores to do with laundry, still needed a shower, etc. I had also started my period despite my attempts to manipulate my birth control so I wouldn’t, so I was not feeling super. I found a sheet for the bed which was great because I don’t have a full sleeping bag, I have a quilt (which is a lighter option for backpacking). Build day eves are also nice because you don’t have to get all your bike stuff ready for the next day. So, I chilled, Katrina finished our laundry (and folded mine! So nice!), and went to bed. Once again I was in a side room with less people. I had hopes that I would read but it didn’t happen. Tooooo tired.

9C0BB28E-6347-4BA4-9F9E-C557A10CD727.jpeg
(Image description: My watch with final mileage for the day. 77.57. Still salty I couldn’t finish those last miles!)

PittDrift Trip Report
Thursday, May 19: Build Day in Hagerstown, MD!

We got to sleep in until like 7:30 am, which was lovely. For this build day, we would be working with the local Habitat for Humanity and our group would be split in half: 11 of us would be going to the ReStore (like a thrift store for home goods) and 11 to a build site. I opted to go to the ReStore because it’s always an adventure there! One time my job was to take a hammer and break the glass on a bunch of picture frames.

D6FD7F24-CF25-425C-AB0E-93117F6DAB40.jpeg
(Image description: A brick wall with various racial justice related art on it that we passed on our walk to the Restore.)

D4F87A99-9885-4E14-92D1-2F972CCD2308.jpeg
(Image description: The store entrance to the ReStore.)

We walked to the ReStore which was nice because we got to see a little bit of the town. At the store, we learned that our main task of the day would be piecing together various outdoor furniture sets that had fallen apart in transport so they couldn’t be sold by Home Depot or wherever. We would make sure that each box had all of the components and try to put together as many full sets as possible. I worked on gazebo sets with Natalie, Nicole (my honorary sisters), and Charlotte. We were a hard working dream team who would definitely form an alliance and win Survivor if ever given the opportunity, we decided. The work was pretty difficult— mainly because we were out in the hot sun. The hardest part, though, was putting together boxes out of scraps of cardboard. We had to problem solve a lot, and it felt productive. I think we put together 4 or 5 gazebo sets by the end of the day, which the store was selling for $350 each! Glad to help them make some money.

B31EF437-927A-42E6-ABD0-502AA221FA2D.jpeg
(Image description: Problem solving with my team. This was the easiest box to deal with because it was relatively all together. Some were literally just scraps of cardboard.)

6986D451-C5EB-4ED8-840D-C5D50D3ADCE5.jpeg
(Image description: Charlotte gave us bike “tattoos” during one of our breaks from the heat. Fun fact: I’m getting a version of this as a real tattoo next week— after the trip she designed a bike on a computer so it is obviously much cleaner than this lol.)

5BA212B2-0E17-4B89-932A-3CAA7952862B.jpeg
(Image description: Us posing with a completed box. We needed a way to wrap all the way around so we created a makeshift stand from trash cans. Geniuses, I tell you.)

We had a lunch break, and I was glad I had brought a clif bar and half an orange from breakfast because lunch was pizza. Womp womp. It is a little ironic that vegans get a bad reputation for talking about being vegan a lot because omnivores talk about non-vegan food ALL THE TIME. The majority of our conversation at lunch was about pizza and ice cream. I felt uncomfortable… both because I am against dairy practices but also because it was just awkward to sit there and listen to it and not be involved in the conversation while eating my sad, insufficient lunch. Oh well. I was proud of myself for sticking to my values even when it was really hard and I was really hungry.

76E7727F-8724-4142-A2C0-A107DA6C939E.jpeg
(Image description: Me helping a teammate stretch out her lower back. I had a lot of opportunities this trip to teach yoga and it was cool to work with people one-on-one and give adjustments. It helped me see that I really learned a lot in my YTT last year.)

Once we finished the boxes, our next task was to unload a semi-truck full of donations. This involved a lot of heavy lifting. I can’t believe those guys do this most days, and without our help. They must be so strong! With our big group, we got it done quickly enough, and I could tell the workers were grateful for our help.

6E42180F-9AA6-435B-8D5A-68E4F89D253E.jpeg
(Image description: The ReStore Team
together after a hard day of work.)

9870AA71-B205-4BA6-ACF1-4959ABB30D17.jpeg
(Image description: Portrait photo of me.)

We finished the day around 4:30, but I couldn’t leave the ReStore without making a purchase. They were selling brand new Manduka Pro Lite Yoga Mats for $30! Those mats are usually $99, so I definitely bought one (and so did Walt, who also got his yoga teacher certification last fall). We got the volunteer discount, which made them even cheaper at $25! What a steal.

After the build day, we walked back to the host and stopped at a convenience store. I got a lot of snacks and proceeded to eat a huge bag of potato chips. The salt was sooo good after the hot day! Even though we weren’t biking, build days are definitely not a rest.

A group at the other build site was able to get a local restaurant to donate dinner to us for that evening. We call this Donation Magic. It was a Mexican restaurant, and they gave us some vegan options! Delicious. I have been really into Mexican food since the trip. During dinner, we also got to hear from a woman who works at the local Salvation Army and the woman who will be getting the house the other build group helped build today. Both have experienced homelessness in their lives, and it was great to hear their stories and about their advocacy work. They wanted everyone to know that anyone can become homeless and that many of the stereotypes about this population of people are both wrong and harmful.

After dinner, Walt and I did a 1-hour Peloton yoga class on our new yoga mats! The class was low key hard but felt really good. Then I showered in my PRIVATE BATHROOM (true luxury), did a last bit of laundry with some clothes I had missed, and prepped for the next day of riding. There’s a lot of prep work for something as simple as riding a bike: filling up my water and putting it in the fridge, charging bike lights, making sure my bag can be packed as easily as possible in the AM, etc.

E3E9B087-A3B4-414C-89BB-CA19A58125C3.jpeg
(Image description: Walt and I doing downward facing dog on our new yoga mats!)

Wait.. What?! Why????
I don’t know actually lol 😆 it was fun though.
I'm not much of a biker but your recap has me thinking about how I could do more for local communities when I travel. So cool that you did this!
Thank you! It’s a great way to see the country too and just get to know people. It helps remind me that everything is not all doom and gloom. There’s similar running-focused adventures out there ;)

Ohio Games Sprint Triathlon Report
750 yard swim, 13 mile bike, 5k run

I interrupt my Pitt Drift trip report (2 days left!) to bring you my triathlon report.

Swim: 26:35 (30/34)
T1: 3:28
Bike: 52:47 (16/34)
T2: 2:25
Run: 45:10 (31/34)
Overall: 2:10:27 (28/34)

Previous PR: 2:13:54 (July 2017)
I’ve had a few faster “sprint” distance triathlons but either they weren’t true sprints (one was 500 yard swim, 15 mile bike, 5k run) or they had a pool swim which to me isn’t comparable.

Training:
I have been working with a local tri coach. The workouts he tells me to do aren’t really individualized— he gives them to a group of us— and I have been following them for the most part. Last week I missed a few workouts because the heat index was in the 100s and we lost power for a few days so I was dealing with keeping my dogs cool and everything else that entailed. I had obviously trained the most for the bike coming off my trip. We have been doing weekly track workouts that kick my butt. I did a long brick workout and a few pool swims.
I did an easy shakeout workout the day before which I have never done before a race. I biked 20 minutes and immediately ran 20 minutes afterward. It felt good.

Pre-Race:
This race was kind of weird. There were a lot of different distances and some of the events had already started by the time I got there. Usually races will close the transition area when the first event starts but they did not here. This was nice because it meant I didn’t have to get there super early to just wait around for an hour but it also meant people were running through transition while others were setting up. Just weird.
I met my coach and we picked out a spot together. We got our bags and our bodies marked. They gave us the medal in our goodie bag, and we joked that we could go home now. This is the second race I’ve been to that has done this. I’m not a fan. We warmed up a little— I did a few sun salutations— and I tried to go to the bathroom but there was only one porta potty and the line was too long. I decided to hold it, put on my wetsuit, and headed down to the swim. Usually I am pretty vigilant about reviewing a course beforehand, but I was not at all for this race. The fact that I didn’t even walk down to the beach until minutes before the start was very unlike me. It was just weird vibes— I don’t know how to explain it. My coach remarked that he felt similarly.

The only other notable thing is that I wore a new tri suit for the first time. It is a one piece. The zipper in the front was annoying, so I put leukotape on that spot which immediately fixed the problem. Overall, I really liked the suit and feel of a one piece, although I wish there had been more compression in the legs.

461C38FA-A2C4-48EE-872A-8EC616970061.jpeg
(Image description: My transition area. I have everything on an Ariel towel. It’s nice to bring the Disney magic to triathlons, and I need all the Ariel swimming vibes I can get.)

Swim:
Race distance: 750 yards
Race time: 26:35
Watch distance: 823 yards
Watch time: 24:13

Wetsuit legal. The swim was a group start, meaning everyone gets in the water at once then goes. First the sprint men went and then the women. I prefer a time trial start, where a few people get in the water every few second. I positioned myself near the back because I am slow and don’t like to be swam over. The course was a clockwise rectangle. The first part went toward the sun, and I couldn’t see the buoy at some points due to the glare. I need better tinted goggles. The swim was uneventful and despite being passed by people doing multiple laps for the longer races, I was never really touched or anything. The last stretch was close to the shore and the water was too shallow. I kept hitting the bottom with my arm which was annoying. And there was a dude literally walking the swim right next to me which was funny but also weird.
The distance discrepancy between my watch and the race is because I am bad at swimming in a straight line. The time is because we didn’t cross the timing mat until we entered T1, which was at the top of a hill. Running up a hill after swimming is not fun.

T1:
Uneventful. I usually bring a bottle of water to rinse my feet off if needed but they were fine. Got onto the bike relatively quickly. I was far away from the bike exit so I had to run with my bike for a bit.

Bike:
Race distance: 13 miles
Race time: 52:47
Watch distance: 14 miles
Watch time: 52:38

This was the best part of the race for me. I love getting on my bike. It’s the only time I ever pass people. This was probably my strongest triathlon bike ever which makes sense since I have been training a lot for it. The course had a few rolling hills but nothing terrible. I was going very fast my last 4 miles (in the 17 mph average range), which is probably because there was less climbing. Maybe it was also a tailwind, but I also just felt really strong. The roads were open to traffic but police were directing intersections. At one of the last ones, though, we had to wait behind a car which was annoying. I had been going so fast! During the bike I ate a few clif bloks and drank some Tailwind.
My watch said the course was an entire mile longer than it should have been. I was very pleased to see that I got in the top 50% of women in the sprint bike.

D29D8A25-7EA7-4B95-915C-5D1DAE021749.jpeg
(Image description: Bike elevation map. 393 feet gain total.)

08FF8F5C-065E-429A-B0B2-021E57E13C41.jpeg
(Image description: Bike splits. Average speed for first 10 miles was about 15.5. For last 4 miles it was 17.4.)

T2:
I clicked my watch button too fast and it skipped over T2 and went straight to the run. So I’ll just trust the race times over my watch times. An uneventful transition. I was a rebel and opted not to put my bib on because it is annoying and I don’t care about pictures (triathlons use an ankle timer). I forgot to put my hat on.

Run:
Race distance: 3.1 miles
Race time: 45:10
Watch distance: 3.25 miles
Watch time: ? messed up bc of T2 click

My legs felt like jello after getting off the bike. My knees also hurt a little from the climbing. I had set my watch to do 60:45 run/walk intervals. Almost immediately I saw my coach. He had finished the entire race before I started the run lol. His run mile time was like in the 6 minute mile range. He got second overall. He told me what to expect for the course and told me to do 3:1 intervals plus walk a hill I’d encounter. I tried this for one interval but got confused because of my watch alerts not lining up so I just stuck with what I had. I wish that Garmin would let you change intervals mid-workout. I need to get one of those GymBoss timers so I can do this. I felt okay on the run. I probably could have pushed myself harder. I was hurting (mostly my upper back— usually my lower back hurts so that was different) but not really out of breath. The course was an out and back and there were a lot of people since people doing longer distances had a few loops. I carried my handheld because I didn’t know what the water stop situation would be. I didn’t need it. There were 4 stops. I took Gatorade at most of the stops and in the last half I also poured water on my head because it was getting hot. We got to run near a dam for part of the course. I was feeling blah but tried to remind myself that I was getting to enjoy some pretty views and that helped my mental state. A lot of super fit dudes told me to keep it up/almost there/etc. which is probably because I am fat but whatever. I’ll take the encouragement during a race. Once I got toward the end, I ran the last few minutes to finish. My coach was waiting for me at the end.

My splits were 13:52, 14:47, 14:22, 13:31. This makes sense because of the hill. I kept up my intervals besides that.

(Side note: my fastest mile during MW was 14:27 at mile 2. I know it’s not the same because that was a HM and this is a triathlon 5K but it feels like I am getting faster.)

BA1DD0E9-EFB5-4243-AF0B-84F507446EAB.jpeg
(Image description: Running elevation map. Total ascent 121 feet.)

C87999A5-6E50-4DDA-81B9-CB4E44893519.jpeg
(Image description: Me running through the finish line.)

Post-Race:
I ate a bag of chips. My coach got his medal. I took a selfie. And left. It was Father’s Day and DH and I had a kayak reservation with my SS.

668222E1-8506-497E-9C90-700BC7A1EFB6.jpeg
(Image description: Selfie of me holding medal.)

Overall thoughts:
I am still very slow but am getting faster than I used to be which is good. I also am able to hold the running intervals consistently the entire 5k, where in the past I would usually end up walking the last mile or two. I am proud of my bike time and looking forward to doing another sprint on July 31– hopefully improving my swim spotting so I don’t go too off track and also getting a little faster on the run. I am nervous for my Olympic race at the end of August… mostly because of the swim and run (1500 yards, 10k run). It will be in downtown Chicago though which I LOVE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter