• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Unpopular Opinions- Wish Edition

I'm on the west coast, also. I agree the pickings are slim, but it's due to the much smaller itinerary possibilities here. I'd love to see DCL here doing Hawaii, South Pacific, and other westerly cruises, as well as Pacific coastal. Maybe even South America, but that probably wouldn't attract DCL's primary clientele.
Then you and I get the ship to ourselves 😉 I think they could do the current Hawaii and Mexico itineraries year round, maybe package them with Disneyland, and maintain Alaska in the summer. Expanding the western destinations to South America, especially when it's winter in North America, would be AWESOME but I'm not holding my breath for that. It's all just wishful thinking for now, no pun intended.

Back to the original thread topic, you all have brought up things about Wish that I hadn't considered but that are definitely giving me pause. Villains dining instead of Marvel? 🤯 That would be brilliant! Holding off is sounding like a better idea by the minute. I already have a Med+Greece cruise booked for summer 2022 (that I've been trying to take for years!) so Wish can wait.

I'm not a big Frozen fan and have no interest in Marvel. I also am not a big fan of the dining show concept, as I'd rather just eat in peace. So the Frozen and Avengers themed dining rooms don't appeal to me at all. One thing I loved about the first four ships was that the "Disney" aspect was subtle. While it was obvious you were on a Disney ship it wasn't just in your face all the time. I don't think there is anything subtle about the Wish. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Disney geek. I love the parks and we are DVC owners, but when I cruise I just want to relax. I don't need to hear Elsa sing Let it Go for the millionth time or have superheroes interrupt my dinner.

I'm still holding out hope that some of the undefined spaces will end up appealing to adults, but for right now this ship seems to be aimed squarely at families with young kids, and that's perfectly fine. I'm sure it will be a huge hit with their target market. I just don't see our family (all adults) clambering to get onboard.

You got it exactly - this is full frontal Disney all the time. And our family is also not the target audience - which is fine. We will give the Wish a try, but we prefer the Fantasy and the longer itineraries. (11-night southern was our very favorite.)

I'll join the not loving the Marvel restaurant group. I really dislike all things Marvel, and Star Wars for that matter. I can easily skip the Star Wars bar but I hate to miss out on a MDR. :(

Also, while I'm sure the Frozen dinner show will be well done, we are not fans of shows while dining. We want to eat and get out to do more things. We don't like interactive, getting put on the spot stuff. For example we try not to make eye contact with Crush. :teeth: Just leave us alone and let us eat. I feel this will slow down the meal and could be uncomfortable. Hard to say without experiencing it. Not sure I'd like the menu either but again, I'd have to see it.

And as noted in the OP, I am concerned about possible lack of adult pool/deck space as this is where I spend most days.

Really, as beautiful as I feel the ship is, I'm not rushing out to book it any time soon.

Ditto on not enthusiastic about Marvel MDR. Tiana's is too loud and interactive for me. I just want to have a very nice meal in an elegant setting. Pirate Night is our night for Palo or Remy. Looks like Marvel MDR will be our excuse for Palo or the other new restaurant.

For me, I groaned when I saw the Frozen restaurant. I think the show will probably be great, but the current Frozen menu on the Wonder is tied for my least favorite. If they recycle that, I’m going to be very disappointed.

First thing I thought of was Norway, fresh salmon, and a great seafood restaurant.

Not excited about the Marvel dining room.

Marvel I find to be a very odd theme and they have it in the kids area too. Sure cool but I don't find it to be as all encompassing as other potential options.

I am good with the Star Wars Lounge and would have preferred a Marvel style area instead of it being a restaurant.

Nothing I've seen in regards to the Wish has excited me---or even interested me yet. I have zero enthusiasm for the restaurants and bars they showed us in particular.

I found the news about the Magic doing the UK only cruises much more interesting, despite not being a UK resident. :)

I think we will probably sail once on the Wish to experience it, but I wasn’t super excited with the reveal. Can’t imagine going to see the Aladdin show, because we don’t see it now. I do like the idea of the infinity pool in the adult pool area, but it doesn’t look like that area is very large. I am interested to see more of the coming plans in the future and I’m looking forward to seeing what interesting touches Disney ads. But, at this point I don’t see it surpassing the Magic as our favorite ship.

Have you had the Frozen menu? I love fish and salmon, but it’s not well executed.

Seafood is my go to order at most restaurants. I love it and probably order it 90% of the time we eat out. After a few DCL cruises though, I finally just gave up. It's usually way overcooked for my taste, no matter how I order it. However, I do remember one time we enjoyed it on the Magic.

They had a tuna entree and both my husband I ordered it rare. We got push back from our server as to whether we really meant rare. We did. Then the head server came over. Are you sure you actually want rare tuna? Yes, we did. Then ... someone from the kitchen came out and asked again. Are you sure you want rare tuna? Yep, we did! Finally the dish came out. It wasn't really what we considered rare, but it was fairly close. By that point we had begun to second guess ourselves thinking how crappy must the tuna be if no one wants to serve it rare? It's not as if that's an odd request for a tuna steak. But we survived and it was actually very tasty :flower1: . But since then, we've just avoided seafood on DCL.

Last edited:
Seafood is my go to order at most restaurants. I love it and probably order it 90% of the time we eat out. After a few DCL cruises, though I finally just gave up. It's usually way overcooked for my taste, no matter how I order it. However, I do remember one time we enjoyed it on the Magic.

They had a tuna entree and both my husband I ordered it rare. We got push back from our server as to whether we really meant rare. We did. Then the head server came over. Are you sure you actually want rare tuna? Yes, we did. Then ... someone from the kitchen came out and asked again. Are you sure you want rare tuna? Yep, we did! Finally the dish came out. It wasn't really what we considered rare, but it was fairly close. By that point we had begun to second guess ourselves thinking how crappy must the tuna be if no one wants to serve it rare? It's not as if that's an odd request for a tuna steak. But we survived and it was actually very tasty :flower1: . But since then, we've just avoided seafood on DCL.

Food is cooked for so many people in the typical meals that the biggest problem is usually over cooking. For fish I'd recommend one of the adults only restaurants. Since fewer people go to them, the food is usually better cooked. That has been my experience.

For the typical dining experience, we asked the server what to eat. And whatever they recommended, we ate. We didn't have a bad meal this way.

After the parents have pulled out their remaining hair listening to the Let It Go, they'll need a nice break.

I don’t disagree, but it won’t be much of a break hearing the kids gripe about how the restaurant is boring.

The theme seems like something for an adults-only restaurant, not an MDR.

I don’t disagree, but it won’t be much of a break hearing the kids gripe about how the restaurant is boring.

The theme seems like something for an adults-only restaurant, not an MDR.
I have a suspicion that those screens and drawings will do something. Maybe less intrusive than a full show, but still some sort of entertainment. Maybe it will be like the early part of the color change show on the Magic and Wonder.

I really don't like the idea of the TV at the end of the bed. That's such a tight area anyway, I will be constantly running into it with my shoulder. Also, I wonder how easy it is to see from the couch. We really like to see the sea outside our room and maybe have a movie on while doing stuff in the room, talking, getting ready. People will be constantly walking in front of it.

I really like the 1923 dining room. Our son finds them all boring, except Animator's Palate. The others are OK. It's not like the dining rooms, except Animator's Palate, on Fantasy are my cup of tea either. A little too gaudy, fancy, and princessy. I like the color scheme in the atrium though. It seems a little more modern without so many colors. I could do without the bling though. I think most cruise ships seem pretty overdone and gaudy though. I think my style tends more toward the decor in the Viking ships and maybe the newest Celebrity ships or maybe a really classic ship like QE2.

I think the Star Wars bar could be cool. I'm glad it's not overly done like Oga's. I think Remy looks nice. I am surprised they kept the same names though. I think they may have finally gotten the adult area out of the path of everyone that needs to get to the other end of the ship on the deck.

I have a suspicion that those screens and drawings will do something. Maybe less intrusive than a full show, but still some sort of entertainment. Maybe it will be like the early part of the color change show on the Magic and Wonder.

Yeah, I expect they will, as some sort of AP-ish legacy.

That said, the concept art just looked a little staid for kids. A “celebration of Hollywood at its most glamorous” might appeal to adults (me, included), but I’m not sure how many kids will dig it.

Have you had the Frozen menu? I love fish and salmon, but it’s not well executed.

Oh I don't expect it to be like the parks but maybe I am wrong. I thought all the food we had was very well done on the Fantasy so I would expect the same here.

May I will be wrong though but its not what came to my mind I wasn't think of duplication of anything simply the theme pointing to specific type of food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter