Unpopular Opinions- Wish Edition

I'm disappointed it's super princess-y. I LOVE the Princesses but my 3yo son is gonna be bummed.

The Marvel and Frozen restaurant hold little appeal... :(

But, who am I kidding: we will still happily sail!

It's just a reflection of where Disney is as a company today. EVERYTHING must have an IP tied to it. I don't think you will ever see them do a non-IP restaurant like Enchanted Garden again. Same thing in the parks. We'll never see a Big Thunder Mountain, or Haunted Mansion (which is "IP" now, but wasn't when built) again. Every attraction going forward will tied to an IP.

It's just a reflection of where Disney is as a company today. EVERYTHING must have an IP tied to it. I don't think you will ever see them do a non-IP restaurant like Enchanted Garden again. Same thing in the parks. We'll never see a Big Thunder Mountain, or Haunted Mansion (which is "IP" now, but wasn't when built) again. Every attraction going forward will tied to an IP.
Yep. We hate it. I guess I *get it* but it's just so disappointing. Give me Disney magic without the characters constantly in my face!

And there isn't anything wrong with those of us who dislike some of the changes to talk about that here. That's what this thread is for- hence the title, "Unpopular Opinions - Wish Edition". This isn't a thread for the forced-positivity crowd.

100% agree. I'm not trying to be a "forced positivity" guy. I just think there is more good than bad so far. There is plenty I don't love too. I will miss the classic style of the rooms as these rooms seem closer in design to a room at Disney World than on a cruise but I'm sure I'll like them in person. I also wish there wasn't a Frozen dinner show. I'd be down for a Frozen themed restaurant but I don't see the need for all the dinner shows. I'm curious to see the direction the next two ships go in. I assume they'll be similar in style to the Wish but who really knows. They said this was the "castle on the sea" so maybe the next two go back to the more classic style? Even if they are copies of the Wish I do hope we get some variety with the dinner shows and don't get the same ones on the next two that are on the Wish.

My biggest gripe, being a big musicals fan, is Aladdin being here. I was really hoping for a new show.

I'm actually OK with the restaurants and overall theming. 1923 looks great - I heard "old Hollywood glamor" and immediately thought of Tower of Terror. I mean it would be even better if during the meal the lights went off, lightning cracked and simulated ghosts and screaming were added...but I digress. :rotfl: I enjoy Marvel and even Frozen for the most part. I don't want or need an entire recreation of the movie performed while I'm at dinner, but if it's just theming, I'm OK with it. Love the idea of the Star Wars lounge, just wish it was larger. And the adult area has already been mentioned, but that is a big negative for us.

Other things:

Too much Concierge...seems like more and more space is being taken away and given to people willing to pay more. For those that say DCL doesn't nickel & dime you, this is a more "discreet" way of doing just that.

Looking at the description of Inside Staterooms, it says they are all located in a "convenient proximity to nightclubs and restaurants." I could be completely off base, but this makes me think if you want an inside room, you will limited to areas around some of the noisiest locations on the ship.

3/4 day itineraries are not for us. It's 7 days or longer.

Would it be that hard to have the beds in the staterooms have the ability to separate? It seems like such a small thing and not everyone who travels together wants to sleep together. Just a gripe I've had since the 1st time we sailed!

And I know I'm in the minority here, but this would be a great excuse to introduce some kind of beverage package that included alcohol, coffee, milkshakes, etc. We just really love the convenience of having most everything paid for before we even step foot on the ship. I understand the family atmosphere, but the package could be done in a tasteful WDW Dining plan type of way.

I think people are being WAY too harsh here. Of course Disney was going to announce the big, flashy, new stuff based on their IP. Can you image if they announced the new WISH, same as the old Dream, just different colors! People would be complaining even more than they are now.

I don't see much of this as too different from the way things are now. We already have 4 ships with Animators Pallet. I'm glad they decided on all new restaurants. As far as the hesitation on "dinner theater", we already have "shows" today. Animators they do shows with Crush, or Mickey comes out and the servers all change shirt colors, they do a song parade around the room. It's not going to be Elsa singing for your entire 90 min meal...its going to be a "show" at some point during the meal.

I think the decor looks amazing. There are no 2 hotels at WDW that look exactly the same, I don't need the 3 new ships to have staterooms that look just like the old ships.

People her have complained very loudly about the lack of an Adult area. I admit I like that on the Dream/Fantasy but we haven't seen all the reveals yet. They may still do that with the space on Deck 4 or 5. Of course, on the old ships the "adult" pool was right in the middle of 2 elevator banks and kids had to walk thru that space all the time. The wish is an improvement there. I think Disney is making progress on moving adult themed areas on the new ship.

Lets give them time to reveal the entire ship before we bash it all.

As was previously stated and should be abundantly clear in the title of this thread - this is a place to talk about what we don't like. There are plenty of other threads where everyone can gush about how awesome it is and how we are all haters...this is not the place. We don't want to debate and we are all happy that others love it. We just want a little corner to be grouchy.

As was previously stated and should be abundantly clear in the title of this thread - this is a place to talk about what we don't like. There are plenty of other threads where everyone can gush about how awesome it is and how we are all haters...this is not the place. We don't want to debate and we are all happy that others love it. We just want a little corner to be grouchy.
There are plenty of people being grouchy in the other threads. I totally see your point but the complainers aren't keeping their opinions to this thread, so I offered a counterpoint here.

But I get it...I hope once more info comes out, even the naysayers will find something to love about the new ship. Its DCL! I'd rather be on any of those ships than...well, anywhere else I guess. LOL.

Carry on!

I really dislike the dinner show thing. I feel like that should be a separate type of restaurant like Palo where you have to make reservations specifically for it. I have autistic kids and one is very sensitive to loud noise like amplified singing and music in a small space. He cannot tolerate it at all, and to be honest, it sounds like a nightmare to me too. I don't like these meals being in the regular rotation. Let people opt in for that kind of thing. I mean, we will very likely skip dinner that night and would just do room service for the kids and my husband and I would book one of the adult restaurants for that night, but since you don't find out your dining rotation until you board, it makes it hard to plan around that.

This is really the only gripe I have right now about this ship. I mean, the Aqua Mouse name is also terrible. I mean, AquaDuck is at least "punny."

The naming of things has just gotten so uninspired lately. Like, the OBVIOUS answer here would have been Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Waterway.

I really dislike the dinner show thing. I feel like that should be a separate type of restaurant like Palo where you have to make reservations specifically for it. I have autistic kids and one is very sensitive to loud noise like amplified singing and music in a small space. He cannot tolerate it at all, and to be honest, it sounds like a nightmare to me too. I don't like these meals being in the regular rotation. Let people opt in for that kind of thing. I mean, we will very likely skip dinner that night and would just do room service for the kids and my husband and I would book one of the adult restaurants for that night, but since you don't find out your dining rotation until you board, it makes it hard to plan around that.

This is really the only gripe I have right now about this ship. I mean, the Aqua Mouse name is also terrible. I mean, AquaDuck is at least "punny."

The naming of things has just gotten so uninspired lately. Like, the OBVIOUS answer here would have been Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Waterway.
Agree with all of this. Both my son and I hate loud music during dinner, but he's still too young for Palo. And yeah, "Aqua Mouse" just makes me think of a wet rodent. At least ducks are supposed to go in the water. M & M's Runaway Waterway does have a much better ring to it.

Agree with the Aqua Mouse name being a bit off. It reminds me of when I was a child and we went to cottages that you really roughed it in. Oil lamps for lighting, a shared well where you pumped your water from. We would fill a pail from the well and take it to the cottage for drinking water. If you didn't put a lid on the pail at night you would definitely wake up to an 'aqua mouse' and it was never pretty. Not the most pleasant memory yet every time I have heard the name it takes me back. :eek:
I love the name Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Waterway.

yes i agree that this ship really seems focused on younger children, which I totally get from Disney perspective. Just wish it didnt seem to loose out on the old school Disney feel, lots yet to be unveiled so will see what my opinion will be later on but as of now while some areas are beautiful and Iam excited about there is still a fair bit Im not so excited about. The dining options are not what I would hope for. Pools seem small even though there are more , seems kind of a strange area . I was so totally prepared to be booking as soon as possible but now I may just book the Fantasy for our 2022 trip, will wait and see what pricing is like and go from there. Sad Im not as thrilled with it as I thought Id be.

yes i agree that this ship really seems focused on younger children, which I totally get from Disney perspective. Just wish it didnt seem to loose out on the old school Disney feel, lots yet to be unveiled so will see what my opinion will be later on but as of now while some areas are beautiful and Iam excited about there is still a fair bit Im not so excited about. The dining options are not what I would hope for. Pools seem small even though there are more , seems kind of a strange area . I was so totally prepared to be booking as soon as possible but now I may just book the Fantasy for our 2022 trip, will wait and see what pricing is like and go from there. Sad Im not as thrilled with it as I thought Id be.

Which doesn’t make sense. Parents are likely to be in their highest earning years when their kids are teens.

Im going to reiterate alot of what was said here already. I hope Im wrong with these observations:
  • Lack of apparent adult bar spaces - I hope we're proven wrong, but the deck map on the dcl website doesn't show many places where this could exist. Someone else said the Star Wars bar is going to be packed. I agree 100%.
  • Adult pool area is cramped/small - The area on the stern looks incredibly cramped. The area comparable to the fantasy adult sun deck (satellite falls) appears to now be a family area.
  • Dinner shows - I love themed dining. What I DON'T love is someone singing at me or expecting me to sing along while I'm trying to discuss the days events with my dinner guests. See my next comment:
  • Frozen - Nothing about this "franchise" is appealing. nothing. I dont get the overall fascination with it or Disney's efforts to constantly milk this cow, but this is awful. I literally will try to request dining rotations where I plan palo dinners on nights where I might be in this MDR.
  • Concierge overload - someone above nailed it. This is going to drive up prices for every room category.

Last edited:
Another thought - it doesn't look like there is a full ship running deck on any of the floorplans. While I'm not a runner, I know lots of people do enjoy doing that. I personally just like walking around them, it's a nice way to spend an afternoon or evening, plus you get lots of great views on days you are in port. The other Disney ships (as well as many other ships) have a mid-deck area where you can walk outside, usually under the lifeboats. Is that not a thing on this ship? Maybe on deck 4? It's not super clear, but if it on deck 4 it doesn't look very big on either side. Those decks are usually pretty quite and are just a nice place to sit and watch the world pass by, especially if you are waiting for dinner or another activity to start.

My husband was unhappy about the running/walking issue - it looks like it starts on deck 4 and then stairs go up to deck 5 at the front of the ship (maybe back also). That's not idea for runners. My thought is that this is a short haul cruise ship and they don't expect as many runners as you get on longer cruises with sea days.

I heard "old Hollywood glamor" and immediately thought of Tower of Terror. I mean it would be even better if during the meal the lights went off, lightning cracked and simulated ghosts and screaming were added...but I digress.

They could do this as a bar, have it like the one on the side of the celebrity ships and it just randomly drops every so often haha!

I think I was just expecting something new and different (other than restaurant themes), maybe I've just been spoilt by royal.
Like new activities such as more water slides or splash areas for older kids. Maybe even an outdoor play area for somewhere for younger to burn off steam without getting in the way of the sports court.

Maybe a family 'palo', so if families are celebrating something they can do something different for dinner, or a sushi/hibatchi restaurant (purely because izumi is my favourite haha).

Personally for me, like I said before, its just like the other ships but with different food and carpets.
I get that if it works, don't fix it. But for some it might become more of a 'done one, done them all' especially if prices keep going up. There's no incentive to try the different ships because they're all so similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter