Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

UPDATE: RECEIVED FOLLOW UP CALL

I applied for this program yesterday for my son.

Facts:

-I used the first page of his most recent IEP.

-The IEP page I uploaded said nothing about his needs, just had the diagnosis of Autism and Speech Language Disorder

I received a call just now from "Universal Orlando." I had checked off the Universal Hollywood box, as that is where we have passes to (as locals). It came from a 407 area code.

The gentleman I spoke with said he wanted to discuss my son's needs in relation to the application I filed with IBCCES yesterday, for accommodations at Universal Hollywood. He asked me if we could record the conversation. He asked me to verify my name and address. He asked me "Is this request for accommodations due to a disability?" He then asked me to explain why my son needs accommodations with waiting in lines, without mentioning a diagnosis. This was very similar to the conversation you have in the parks, currently, at Guest Relations. I talked about my son's issues and difficulties with having to wait in extended lines all day long.

Once I was done, he thanked me for explaining the issues my son has and then asked me if I was familiar with the "old attraction assistance pass." I told him we had recently become annual passholders and had used it for the first time in March. He then told me "based on what you explained about your son, we would like to offer you something better." He then told me he would be granting us something called the Express Access Pass, which would give us immediate access to the express line for all rides, and entry through the exit for any rides that do not have Express Pass lines at them. He said this pass is "different and better than what we used to offer." He then asked if I was familiar with the designated "quiet areas" in the parks. I am not, so he told me about them, and then explained about the Rider Accessibility guide that can be found online which has more information.

He then explained the logistics of how this will work:

He issued us a Case Number. We are to use this case number on our visits over the next year. The case number lasts as long as the IBCCES pass is valid. When it expires, you have to renew the IBCCES card and have a new conversation over the phone to discuss accommodations again.

We take the case number to Guest Relations and present the digital IBCCES card and they will issue us the pass for the day, no more discussion required.

The pass is good for one day (for a one day ticket or annual pass). It is good for length of stay if you have a multi day pass. Since we have annual passes, we will have to visit Guest Relations each visit to obtain the pass, but it should take no time at all, since we will simply present the ID card and case number each time.

The case number is good at all Universal Parks for the year, so if we somehow decide to go to Universal Orlando, we can use it there as well.

Of note, I was told "if this pass doesn't work out for your or meet your son's needs adequately, you can return to Guest Relations and they can offer other options." So, I don't know if everyone will get this same type of pass, as it seems they have more than one option, which makes sense. Disney ALSO has more than one type of DAS, although they don't advertise that. I only know because my friends son has a much different version than the one most people get. There are levels.

Anyway, thought this information would clear some things up for everyone.

A local PED charges I think $40 to complete a form like for a sports or camp physical... BUT... only if the patient has been seen for a well-visit within the past 6 (or maybe 3?) months. If the most recent well-visit was longer ago they require an appointment. And since there is no acceptable office-visit code for "completing forms" the visit isn't covered by insurance.

I've never had to have any forms/documents from other specialties, even my own PCP, so I'm not sure of their fees or policies.

The charge is to cover the time to pull up a record and complete the form, which is a task that otherwise would not be done at that point in time. Pediatricians in particular can spend literally HOURS doing forms for kids sports and camps.
Exactly!

Most people are like "its one paper" ok but when the doctor is filling them out for 300 patients for sports seasons.....

Well, we do have to pay her $250 out of pocket every month. She doesn't take insurance.

I offered to pay for the letter we needed. She waved away that suggestion and said she would be happy to do it as part of his regular appointment paperwork.
Ahhhh. That's different. But ours would charge a fee regardless on top of the appointment fee. It's just their policy possibly because they don't have support staff to help. It's two psychiatrists and a receptionist, who is one of their wives.

Facts:

-The IEP page I uploaded said nothing about his needs, just had the diagnosis of Autism and Speech Language Disorder

I received a call just now from "Universal Orlando." I had checked off the Universal Hollywood box, as that is where we have passes to (as locals). It came from a 407 area code.

The gentleman I spoke with said he wanted to discuss my son's needs in relation to the application I filed with IBCCES yesterday, for accommodations at Universal Hollywood. He asked me if we could record the conversation. He asked me to verify my name and address. He asked me "Is this request for accommodations due to a disability?" He then asked me to explain why my son needs accommodations with waiting in lines, without mentioning a diagnosis. This was very similar to the conversation you have in the parks, currently, at Guest Relations. I talked about my son's issues and difficulties with having to wait in extended lines all day long.

Once I was done, he thanked me for explaining the issues my son has and then asked me if I was familiar with the "old attraction assistance pass." I told him we had recently become annual passholders and had used it for the first time in March. He then told me "based on what you explained about your son, we would like to offer you something better." He then told me he would be granting us something called the Express Access Pass, which would give us immediate access to the express line for all rides, and entry through the exit for any rides that do not have Express Pass lines at them. He said this pass is "different and better than what we used to offer." He then asked if I was familiar with the designated "quiet areas" in the parks. I am not, so he told me about them, and then explained about the Rider Accessibility guide that can be found online which has more information.

He issued us a Case Number. We are to use this case number on our visits over the next year. The case number lasts as long as the IBCCES pass is valid. When it expires, you have to renew the IBCCES card and have a new conversation over the phone to discuss accommodations again.

We take the case number to Guest Relations and present the digital IBCCES card and they will issue us the pass for the day, no more discussion required.

The pass is good for one day (for a one day ticket or annual pass). It is good for length of stay if you have a multi day pass. Since we have annual passes, we will have to visit Guest Relations each visit to obtain the pass, but it should take no time at all, since we will simply present the ID card and case number each time.

The case number is good at all Universal Parks for the year, so if we somehow decide to go to Universal Orlando, we can use it there as well.

Of note, I was told "if this pass doesn't work out for your or meet your son's needs adequately, you can return to Guest Relations and they can offer other options." So, I don't know if everyone will get this same type of pass, as it seems they have more than one option, which makes sense. Disney ALSO has more than one type of DAS, although they don't advertise that. I only know because my friends son has a much different version than the one most people get. There are levels.

I don’t want to talk to some random guy on the phone about my disabilities that feels super intrusive as well this whole system makes me very uncomfortable.

Exactly!

Most people are like "its one paper" ok but when the doctor is filling them out for 300 patients for sports seasons.....

I worked for a PCP years ago. The amount of papers that were never picked up was about 50%. Then they started charging. The amount of paperwork needing to be picked up shrunk. I think that’s a huge reason a lot of physicians charge.

I have to pay for paperwork at my DDs pediatrician.

I don’t want to talk to some random guy on the phone about my disabilities that feels super intrusive as well this whole system makes me very uncomfortable.

I found it easier to do it on the phone versus in person. The old way, you had to plead your case in person with a bunch of other people within earshot. Not sure how this is worse than that. I found this much more private and relaxed.

I'm sorry this system makes you uncomfortable. If it helps, I do not believe the Universal employee who called me had access to the information about my son's diagnosis. He also specifically mentioned not to tell him what it was. It seems pretty protective of the private information you share. It was the same question that Disney and Universal have been asking for years: "what are the difficulties this person faces with waiting in lines."

Ahhhh. That's different. But ours would charge a fee regardless on top of the appointment fee. It's just their policy possibly because they don't have support staff to help. It's two psychiatrists and a receptionist, who is one of their wives.

I'm not surprised. Most doctors charge a document fee. The pediatrician charges $10/page for any forms you need filled out.

I just input all my son's info and got a temporary card. I used a letter from his doctor from two years ago - it will be interesting if they try to call to verify because she retired last year. His current doctor won't be any help because he doesn't write these kind of letters.

UPDATE: RECEIVED FOLLOW UP CALL

Facts:

This is great news for your family. We did a split trip there and Disney in Easter and had no issues with obtaining the pass although it would been much better if I had known about these quiet areas they told you. We had express pass unlimited, early entry and the pass for the entire trip but still did not do many rides as DS was not comfortable.

We will have to wait a few more years before returning.

A local PED charges I think $40 to complete a form like for a sports or camp physical... BUT... only if the patient has been seen for a well-visit within the past 6 (or maybe 3?) months. If the most recent well-visit was longer ago they require an appointment. And since there is no acceptable office-visit code for "completing forms" the visit isn't covered by insurance.

I've never had to have any forms/documents from other specialties, even my own PCP, so I'm not sure of their fees or policies.

The charge is to cover the time to pull up a record and complete the form, which is a task that otherwise would not be done at that point in time. Pediatricians in particular can spend literally HOURS doing forms for kids sports and camps.
The 3-6 month well visit timeframe seems off. Providers can only bill insurance one well visit per year. When my kids see their pediatrician, we make the next year’s appointment, which has to be at least one year and one day out. So if they go on July 15, 2023, the earliest they could have another well visit is July 16, 2024. Anything else has to be coded as a sick visit.

Around here, it’s standard to fill out forms for free, but I understand why some places charge. I’m a nurse, and I fill out all the disability forms and write all the attestation notes, and then the doctor signs them. I’ve gotten pretty efficient at run of the mill FMLA forms, but some of the individual employers and insurance companies have weird forms that take forever to fill out. I stayed late at work yesterday doing this, and spent 15 minutes on hold and in the phone queue pressing different options to reach an actual human to get one company to resend a form that got cut off when it was faxed to us. It’s a fairly small office, so not too onerous, but when you add up all the time spent on paperwork and factor that into what you are paying nurses, filling out paperwork can be a significant cost to the practice. One of my doctors is firmly convinced that insurance companies make the process purposely complicated in hopes that some people just give up.

The 3-6 month well visit timeframe seems off. Providers can only bill insurance one well visit per year. … Anything else has to be coded as a sick visit.
Precisely why such a visit doesn’t get covered by insurance and ends up out-of-pocket.

I have lifelong issues with internalized ableism (and telling myself I'm "using my disability as an excuse"), so I'm personally a bit frustrated with this. I feel uncomfortable and a little silly asking my doctor for a note about an amusement park visit, though it's necessary for me to have a good time without health repercussions.
Thank you for sharing. Just the thought of going to my Dr asking for assistance for this is embarrassing the crap out of me for some reason. I’m going to keep reminding myself if my issues cause me to have an incident in line that would be dangerous and that’s a lot more important than being embarrassed asking for a Dr’s note.

Last edited:
One of my doctors is firmly convinced that insurance companies make the process purposely complicated in hopes that some people just give up.
The doctor who helped my dad with his Social Security disability paperwork said the same thing about those forms.

This process was super easy. My dad applied yesterday, using a form that his doctor recently filled out for his permanent parking permit as proof. It specified what his difficulties are, but not his specific diagnosis. He was approved instantly, with an expiration date a year out.

On the advice of someone who works in Universal Guest Services, he's going to call GS on Monday and speak with an accommodation coordinator. Since he already has his level of accommodations stored under a GC code number, they'll just switch that over to the new system. So if you're already in the system, you may want to do the same. Seems pretty simple so far.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything about requiring this pre-registration just to bring a service dog into the parks. Someone else also mentioned it's required for use of a wheelchair, but I don't see that either. Any help pointing me towards those details?
I only read the information on Google news....there it mentioned the service animal.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything about requiring this pre-registration just to bring a service dog into the parks. Someone else also mentioned it's required for use of a wheelchair, but I don't see that either. Any help pointing me towards those details?
I just did a Google search for this info since we'll need to get some documentation for DX and her chair if so. She does have an appointment with our rheumatologist in November before our next trip so we can get all we need then with plenty of time.

It looks like there is some general IAC information floating around that lists wheelchairs and service animals, even dietary needs, as accommodations that IBCCES registers/evaluates/etc. But I don't see anything on the Universal site that specifically states this. I am going to email Guest Services to see if I can get an answer and will report back. I expect it will take a while.

That’s absolutely not true. Dr’s notes can be requested even in a workplace situation where an employee needs specific accommodations and their condition is not readily apparent. In the Disney/universal realm, where expedited access to rides is only via a paid system, these institution‘s can ask for proof.
I don't feel that the 10 minutes less than stand by that Disney offers is that much of an accomadation. Even after waiting the amount of time, the DAS person still has to wait in the Lightning Lane and that is an additional wait that at times adds to mor time than Standby.

I don't feel that the 10 minutes less than stand by that Disney offers is that much of an accomadation. Even after waiting the amount of time, the DAS person still has to wait in the Lightning Lane and that is an additional wait that at times adds to mor time than Standby.
It’s not supposed to be a time accommodation, it’s a time in the actual line accommodation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter