Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

I don't feel that the 10 minutes less than stand by that Disney offers is that much of an accomadation.
The accommodation offered by DAS is the ability to spend most of that wait outside the actual queue. It’s not intended to be less time overall. However I do agree that the time in the LL before riding is often more than 10 minutes. It’s the trade-off for avoiding the standby queue which is problematic for many.

I don't feel that the 10 minutes less than stand by that Disney offers is that much of an accomadation. Even after waiting the amount of time, the DAS person still has to wait in the Lightning Lane and that is an additional wait that at times adds to mor time than Standby.
The 10 minutes started because the system was not on MDE and guests had to walk to the attraction, get a return time, then come back.

Now that we get times on MDE they probably could actually eliminate that but I think they should keep it because now we are at a point where the LL often have additional wait times due to DAS, G+ usage. That helps level the wait time with SB.

If Universal is now giving out the Express Access Pass and that is equivalent (or better) to their Universal Express Unlimited pass (may even be better because the normal passes exclude the most popular rides) then the dollar value of the accommodation is $100-400 per person in the party per day. That creates a HUGE incentive for even more families to request the pass, even if that means stretching the truth about their needs.

But does ADA require equal accommodation if greater is offered? I honestly don’t know. Just thinking of HA parking - one must apply for the hangtag to use the closest spots or spots with the extra load/unload space. There is no other “equal” without that tag other than regular parking spots available to all.
Yes, ADA requires equal accommodation without any proof, even if greater is offered with proof. Imagine a blind person being told that because they are blind they would have no access to the attractions without providing proof they are blind. This would be a clear cut violation of ADA. Same goes for wheelchair users, etc.

The difference here is a wheelchair user can use a regular parking spot, but let's say there are stairs into the entrance. Now there is a ramp on the side, but someone comes out and now says you have to show proof you are disabled to in the form of a doctor's note to use the ramp. That would be completely unreasonable and stupid, the ramp is there and usable. Yet that is essentially what this policy is doing.

I don't feel that the 10 minutes less than stand by that Disney offers is that much of an accomadation. Even after waiting the amount of time, the DAS person still has to wait in the Lightning Lane and that is an additional wait that at times adds to mor time than Standby.
Well in order for me to use the lightening lane I have to pay for it. And almost always I do have to wait for the return time because I can’t choose the return time and it could easily be 3 hours in the future. And if it’s a very popular ride I can’t even get a return time at all. So to say the DAS is not a benefit that is equal to or greater than the paid service is disingenuous.

I am glad that the people that need it get to use it and not have to pay for it. I am happy to pay for the use of it because using the lightening lane is far better than using the stand by lane. To say this is not a true accommodation makes no sense to me.

If Universal is now giving out the Express Access Pass and that is equivalent (or better) to their Universal Express Unlimited pass (may even be better because the normal passes exclude the most popular rides) then the dollar value of the accommodation is $100-400 per person in the party per day. That creates a HUGE incentive for even more families to request the pass, even if that means stretching the truth about their needs.
Even if you have to pay for a doctor’s note, it’s still a fraction of the cost of the pass and the pass is good for a whole year.

I've been going to multiple doctors in the US for decades, and I've never heard of a doctor not charging a fee for documentation.
My DS's doctor has filling out a variety of forms every year and often at 6 mos marks for over 20 years and has never charged us. I imagine it really depends on the doctor, the practice, the types of forms etc. and the timing of when you ask for them.

My other kids their doctor would fill out their school sports forms free if done at their physical.

The difference here is a wheelchair user can use a regular parking spot
Maybe some if they have ability to walk. If they need to safely transfer from the vehicle to their chair the only option is providing proof to obtain a hangtag allowing use of the reserved spots. No other alternative offered without proof.

Your other examples aren’t exactly realistic. At this point, Universal’s website does not indicate this process is required for any and all disabilities, it appears to be for those needing to avoid the standby queue — and the accommodation offered (to a PP) is like the Express Pass which has a monetary value.

I don't know that I understand why they are now seeming to give out something even better than they were. And yes it will be a huge incentive for families to push the limits. Sadly there are still ways to find drs and such that will agree to a statement that they need the pass. Yes some could risk getting in trouble but it happens all the time for other request.

Even if you have to pay for a doctor’s note, it’s still a fraction of the cost of the pass and the pass is good for a whole year.
The cost is somewhat irrelevant if you CANNOT experience the parks without reasonable accommodation. Without the DAS, we cannot do Disney. So it becomes one of many decision pricing points.

In any event, as soon as we saw this news (we are Uni AP holders with 2 trips planned), we reached out to my DAS holder's doctor (who was the one who told us about the pass and pretty much said we needed it or the parks wouldn't work for us anymore). Her doctor is on maternity leave, so her "stand-in" responded via MyChart the same day. We have regular 6 month appointments required/recommended; and so at the next appointment in 2 weeks the letter will be provided.

The problem we saw was that for the initial online registration, our specific condition is not one of the "choices" so not sure how that will work?

The cost is somewhat irrelevant if you CANNOT experience the parks without reasonable accommodation. Without the DAS, we cannot do Disney. So it becomes one of many decision pricing points.
I’m not questioning the need for accommodation. My point (from above) was about creating incentives that will likely cause more people to ask for the pass worth $100-400/pp/per day, even if it costs a little more upfront to produce a note.

Most people who get the pass will probably receive the regular access pass. The poster who got Express Access more than likely has a more complicated issue.

I’m not questioning the need for accommodation. My point (from above) was about creating incentives that will likely cause more people to ask for the pass worth $100-400/pp/per day, even if it costs a little more upfront to produce a note.
Same issue Disney had when they allowed the two "pre-booked" attractions. Sigh. You would have thought they would have/should have learned from Disney's mess.

I've been going to multiple doctors in the US for decades, and I've never heard of a doctor not charging a fee for documentation.
Mine doesn’t. Dropped off my kid’s camp physical on my way to work, and had a PDF of it in my inbox by mid morning. Granted the form is very simple, and it’s mostly a printout of the immunization record which is all computerized anyway, but not only didn’t I have to pay, I didn’t even have to pick it up!

I’m an oncology nurse, and we never charge for filling out disability paperwork, even though it’s quite time consuming. When my mom was in an unaffiliated hospital, the resident filled out my FMLA super fast and for free so I could stay with her and not worry about work.

Precisely why such a visit doesn’t get covered by insurance and ends up out-of-pocket.
But I really question a practice that would mandate a well visit at 6 months, as there’s no medical necessity for it. The OOP cost of another office visit with a provider is wildly out of line with the cost of the amount of work for a nurse to fill out a basic camp physical. In that case, since insurance can’t be billed, it’s fair to charge a fee, but not hundreds of dollars for a superfluous office visit. I’d be looking for a new provider because that’s shady.

Maybe some if they have ability to walk. If they need to safely transfer from the vehicle to their chair the only option is providing proof to obtain a hangtag allowing use of the reserved spots. No other alternative offered without proof.

Your other examples aren’t exactly realistic. At this point, Universal’s website does not indicate this process is required for any and all disabilities, it appears to be for those needing to avoid the standby queue — and the accommodation offered (to a PP) is like the Express Pass which has a monetary value.
My points aren't unrealistic, as that is how they are treated at Six Flags, if you need ANY assistance, including just bypassing stairs, you have to have the card. I doubt Universal will be any different.

In addition, we also know from history that requiring proof actually created more abuse. Back in the 90s, Disneyland used to require proof and there were times of places near by that would provide a "legitimate doctor's note" for $5 to $10 and you didn't even have to get out of your car. Now imagine is there is a dollar value attached to these accomodations like them working like the express pass, who can honestly tell me this won't come back with a vengeance? The difference is you will need to get the note online in advance.

If they only get the regular access pass, then this policy definitely violates ADA as that is equal access with no monetary value.
Most people who get the pass will probably receive the regular access pass. The poster who got Express Access more than likely has a more complicated issue.

In any event, as soon as we saw this news (we are Uni AP holders with 2 trips planned), we reached out to my DAS holder's doctor (who was the one who told us about the pass and pretty much said we needed it or the parks wouldn't work for us anymore). Her doctor is on maternity leave, so her "stand-in" responded via MyChart the same day. We have regular 6 month appointments required/recommended; and so at the next appointment in 2 weeks the letter will be provided.

The problem we saw was that for the initial online registration, our specific condition is not one of the "choices" so not sure how that will work?
The cost isn't irrelevant, it makes equal access impossible, as now you are requiring those with disabilities to pay more. Now if Universal followed Disneyland Tokyo's (I think it was Tokyo) and provided a discount off admission with proof, then that would be a different story as that can make up for the added cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter