Universal newbie needing advice

JoanneDisFan

DIS Veteran
We are thinking about taking our son to Universal for his 9th birthday in Sept. I look online and I'm getting totally overwhelmed by the website. I was thinking 3 days in the parks and staying on site. My son likes rollercoasters but expedition everest is about his max, so none of the super thrilling rides. I'm starting to think it's worth it to pay a travel agent to do all the foot work for me as this is all so new. Our goal for the vacation is to be able to go have a good time and relax, but on a budget. Any advice would be great.

Most don't book everything through the universal site as it indeed can be a bit confusing at times. Most book the pieces separately (hotel, Park tickets etc.). There aren't usually any savings when you book a "package" through universal's site and it can also can be a negative if you need to change anything. If you need to change a package there are usually fees associated with changing things. Whereas if you book the hotel and tickets separately, you can always cancel and re-book your hotel reservation with no change fees.

I usually book the hotel either through universal's site on its own, and then I buy tickets through Undercover Tourist as they are typically cheapest there.

As for advice, as you are going in September this is typically the slowest period in the year, so IMO you could get by fine without Express Passes (since you are on a budget) which means you could book on-site at one of the lower tiered resorts that don't include express pass, but still give you early access to the parks (like Cabana Bay, Aventura or the new Endless Summer resort).

Are you a FL resident? If so, I wouldn't necessarily pay for a travel agent.

All you really need to pick is which hotel you want in order to get unlimited free express pass and early entry (Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay Hotel, Royal Pacific Hotel), or decide you want to pick any of the other hotels, just for early entry within the park, but no express pass. Essentially decide what is within your budget and decide what you want to do within the parks.

Also, here is a website that suggestions when to come in 2019-2020: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/best-time-visit-universal-orlando/

I always recommend that if you can afford taking time off to always do weekdays, starting on Monday since it's the slowest days generally and do that during the off season times. So, if you're able to do that in Sept that's what I recommend.

If you can plan Disney, then Universal should be easy.
But if your really lost then maybe a travel agent, but you shouldn't have to pay for one... They get their commission from Universal.

I just booked our trip and unfortunately couldn't use our agent. Universal was offering a 2 day 3 Park Park to Park plus 3 day free promo. The only way I could get the 2 day 3 park park to park plus 3 day with EXPRESS PASS was to book it Universal directly.
We are a fam of 3 and while it would normally have been better to book a deluxe hotel for the Express Pass, in this case, because of the ticket promo, we booked Cabana Bay and came out $600 ahead. Our agent told us to book direct!
Call the Universal line and tell them what you want and ask for quotes at different hotels. They will automatically factor in all of the promos they have going on!

Book your hotel through Universal or Loews site.

Book your air or drive...…buy your park tickets from wherever you like.

Get familiar with the parks through the maps on the website....it is so easy...parks aren't huge and so easy to navigate.....

If you have EP, you have nothing to worry about regarding rides or lines.....

September is HHN season.....so Studios will close at 5pm on days that event takes place......you`ll see nothing scary in the parks through the day. Some of the larger structures will be visible, but they`re fine for kids to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter