Two Resorts, 2 Use Years

keaster

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! We currently own AKL direct with a Feb UY and are in the process of buying an Aulani resale contract with a March UY.

What are the difficulties we may run into with having these two separate use years?

Thanks for any help!

You should plan to use them as two completely separate contracts for separate vacations. Combining points at 7 months requires transferring points which are not visible online, so you have to call to transfer and make the reservations.

I have 2 resorts and 2 use years. I have no issues in scheduling. For the most part, you use them as 2 separate items. But I have used both to schedule a longer stay. Just call member services and they will link them so you don't have to swap rooms.

Your only difficulty is if you need to use points from the other contract to add to a stay that you are trying to book greater than 7 months away.

You should plan to use them as two completely separate contracts for separate vacations. Combining points at 7 months requires transferring points which are not visible online, so you have to call to transfer and make the reservations.
Agreed. For others reading, this is usually a bad plan unless they are both full sized AND one plans to use them independently. Generally speaking one should only do this if there's a specific plan like we do a trip in March and want to stay near EPCOT so we have a Feb/March BWV/BCV contract and we do a trip Oct so we buy an Oct contract specifically for that purpose. Otherwise it's better to wait to get the appropriate contract. The other time it doesn't matter is when they wouldn't be combined anyway such as if the title is different AND it's a different home resort.

Agreed. For others reading, this is usually a bad plan unless they are both full sized AND one plans to use them independently. Generally speaking one should only do this if there's a specific plan like we do a trip in March and want to stay near EPCOT so we have a Feb/March BWV/BCV contract and we do a trip Oct so we buy an Oct contract specifically for that purpose. Otherwise it's better to wait to get the appropriate contract. The other time it doesn't matter is when they wouldn't be combined anyway such as if the title is different AND it's a different home resort.

I think that will be the main plan going forward to use each contract as it's own entity. There may be the odd time when we want to combine them for a bigger unit, but that's not something we are looking to doing at this time.

I think that will be the main plan going forward to use each contract as it's own entity. There may be the odd time when we want to combine them for a bigger unit, but that's not something we are looking to doing at this time.
Again, more for others reading since you are where you are, things often don't work out as planned up front. For most, esp those newer to DVC, how they use the points long term will be different than how they think they will. Whether it's plan for a studio and stay in larger units or end up with different resort preferences or even times of year are common variations from where one thinks it will be. While we can't control or anticipate every option or variable, the more flexible our ownerships are the better. Things like buying too small or too large a contract, multiple home resorts for smaller contracts, multiple master contracts including UY are often (almost always) a bad choice. Since the UY's in this case are a month apart I'm guessing you bought what was available rather than waiting. IMO it would have been better to wait in this situation unless there were a specific reason for 2 UY like multiple transfers/multiple wait lists or unless the Aulani contract is a subsidized one since at a month apart it clearly isn't targeting a time of year.

Again, more for others reading since you are where you are, things often don't work out as planned up front. For most, esp those newer to DVC, how they use the points long term will be different than how they think they will. Whether it's plan for a studio and stay in larger units or end up with different resort preferences or even times of year are common variations from where one thinks it will be. While we can't control or anticipate every option or variable, the more flexible our ownerships are the better. Things like buying too small or too large a contract, multiple home resorts for smaller contracts, multiple master contracts including UY are often (almost always) a bad choice. Since the UY's in this case are a month apart I'm guessing you bought what was available rather than waiting. IMO it would have been better to wait in this situation unless there were a specific reason for 2 UY like multiple transfers/multiple wait lists or unless the Aulani contract is a subsidized one since at a month apart it clearly isn't targeting a time of year.

Yes the contract is a subsidized one which is why we decided to go fo it! With it being only one month off from our AKL contract I figured I could keep the banking/borrowing deadlines pretty straight in my head :)

Yes the contract is a subsidized one which is why we decided to go fo it! With it being only one month off from our AKL contract I figured I could keep the banking/borrowing deadlines pretty straight in my head :)
In that most should have made the same choice. Congratulations.

In that most should have made the same choice. Congratulations.

Thank you! I was still a bit nervous going resale, but with the savings compared to direct prices and the subsidized dues it made sense for us.

We've done Aulani twice in March and had no problem booking at 7 months...however we want to try going at peak times like summer and Christmas and need that 11 month advantage. Plus we are able to purchase without financing.

Thank you! I was still a bit nervous going resale, but with the savings compared to direct prices and the subsidized dues it made sense for us.

We've done Aulani twice in March and had no problem booking at 7 months...however we want to try going at peak times like summer and Christmas and need that 11 month advantage. Plus we are able to purchase without financing.
It sounds like you made good choices overall, when you do, DVC can truly be a blessing. For HI I tend to prefer Marriott overall because it's cheaper, more flexible and has more choices but Aulani is a nice resort. I'm curious though, and for others reading, why were you nervous? I'd think that being sufficiently educated and investigating appropriately should alleviate most anxiety. Is it just your nature or do you feel you rushed into it somewhat? I'm guessing mostly the former since you've owned long enough to have made 2 trips to Aulani. At least you didn't let your anxiety inappropriately cost you a large sum of dollars as some do.

Thinking back to our first purchase in 1994, things have come a long way. I purchased DVC out of an ad I think it was from USA today. By all accounts I was likely the first resale buyer that wasn't a relative. That was before the internet, it was Prodigy and AOL back then. I remember on the old DVC Prodigy board there was this obnoxious owner from Jacksonville, FL who's answer to everything was "If you don't like it, sell". All I knew was how DVC sold, priced and did the dues so I assumed it'd be basically the same resale. So I insisted on the same structure for the dues as retail simply out of ignorance. Now I'd take the same stance but for far different reasons and with far more knowledge.

It sounds like you made good choices overall, when you do, DVC can truly be a blessing. For HI I tend to prefer Marriott overall because it's cheaper, more flexible and has more choices but Aulani is a nice resort. I'm curious though, and for others reading, why were you nervous? I'd think that being sufficiently educated and investigating appropriately should alleviate most anxiety. Is it just your nature or do you feel you rushed into it somewhat? I'm guessing mostly the former since you've owned long enough to have made 2 trips to Aulani. At least you didn't let your anxiety inappropriately cost you a large sum of dollars as some do.

Thinking back to our first purchase in 1994, things have come a long way. I purchased DVC out of an ad I think it was from USA today. By all accounts I was likely the first resale buyer that wasn't a relative. That was before the internet, it was Prodigy and AOL back then. I remember on the old DVC Prodigy board there was this obnoxious owner from Jacksonville, FL who's answer to everything was "If you don't like it, sell". All I knew was how DVC sold, priced and did the dues so I assumed it'd be basically the same resale. So I insisted on the same structure for the dues as retail simply out of ignorance. Now I'd take the same stance but for far different reasons and with far more knowledge.

It's definitely my nature to feel nervous about anything lol! I don't feel rushed as we have been hoping to add on eventually, but there's always that little nagging voice about buying resale and wondering if we will "lose" some kind of benefit even though the realistic part of my brain knows that benefits can be taken away anytime for anyone, regardles if you buy direct or resale!

We now own three UY (crazy I know), but the contracts were what we wanted and each UY has a good amount of points (350, 300, and 150), so we can use them on their own. It does mean that I end up borrowing from some while I have current points in another, but that is okay because I always end up needing what I have to book what I want...well, it should work out. We just added on the extra this year but so far, so good!!!!

It does mean that I end up borrowing from some while I have current points in another, but that is okay because I always end up needing what I have to book what I want...well, it should work out. We just added on the extra this year but so far, so good!!!!
And that's the issue, it makes things more complicated and increases the risk of losing points. But it's not that big of a deal for those that can track it, have sufficient sized contracts and don't have a high risk of late changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!