Tron Lightcycle Run coming to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be a bit pessimistic, to be fair. That is a total of 10 additions, most of which I agree are quite cool. However, we are giving up a lot of family options for this. We are simply trading one thing for another. Here is what we've lost to get those additions:
1) Backlot tour (two different types of family safe experiences)
2) Lights, Motor, Action (whole family)
3) Great Movie Ride (whole family)
4) Universe of Energy (given that it was way past time)
5) Star Tours (rumored, to be fair)
6) They still have to put something in the theatre in MK
7) Innoventions East
8) Innoventions West
9) Animation Courtyard
10) Honey I shrunk the Kids play area
11) Backlot Tour Express Restaurant
12) Osbourne Holiday Lights
13) Sounds Dangerous/Who Wants to be a Millionaire

We are trading one attraction for another instead of actually building up the family aspect of the non-MK parks. If you really want to spread the crowds around, you have to be able to absorb them in the parks and have reasons to want to go there. It also can't take four years to build Ratatouille. You have two ride pavilions built in EPCOT that are being used for storage, there are several country sites as well as a fully functional huge building in EPCOT that aren't used most of the year, one ride was cut from the construction of Avatar, there is a pad site in SWL, a ride was cut from TSL prior to construction, Animal Kingdom has at least four expansion pad sites, and DHS could have thought ahead in their new parking lot entrance and expansion to create more space for 2-3 more attractions (in a park the desperately needs capacity) and none of these were address. All of these would increase capacities in these parks and help spread the crowds around. Instead, we are simply replacing one thing with another (and some of that needed to happen years to decades ago), and capacity is not addressed at all. WE have the same capacity now that we did 20 years ago (arguably less in some of the parks) but almost 25% more people coming into MK (4-5 million people) and the same number attending all of the other parks. They have not enticed any significant number of new people into any of their other parks. Some of the new things will help, but they don't have the capacity to absorb these people on the new rides or in the rest of the park (see Pandora in AK, cool addition but can't absorb the people).

Jeez, George...

None of that stuff is "extreme"...by any stretch.

I don't get the kinda sulky comments about "not enough family stuff"...really don't. They haven't really done a thing on any front for 20 years...are we saying soarin is like somekinda steel swaying monstrosity in the wind in Sandusky, Ohio?

All these things they're proposing are pretty tame...watch the video of tron...everyone in decent health should be able to handle this.

Why is it that all things must be suitable for a 7 year old that's scared of the muppets (kids are so fraidy cat now)...or somebody who's north of 400 in an ecv?

I mean...I like the family rides - if done well - as much as the next guy. But shouldn't those that can kick back and have fun on anything be rewarded too?

Ehhh...dragons was kinda a clunky design and not exceptionally smooth for a B&M...I'm ok with it leaving.

What? From you? DC is still the best ride at US/IOA IMO. Rather loose J Park (any other ride actually including all HP rides), and certainly the theatre next to DA.

WDW has never lost anything close to this.

What? From you? DC is still the best ride at US/IOA IMO. Rather loose J Park, and certainly the theatre next to DA.

WDW has never lost anything close to this.

I'm a huge B&M fan...huge. And hulk is the best ride in all of Orlando for pure mechanics...kraken is second.

But dueling dragons I thought was limited because of the "dueling" aspect of it...I felt it limited it and made it a more clunky version of a Batman.

Now, if you're talking Montu or Alpengeist? Probably my favorite rides ever...along with the John miller woodies I grew up on.

I'm a huge B&M fan...huge. And hulk is the best ride in all of Orlando for pure mechanics...kraken is second.

But dueling dragons I thought was limited because of the "dueling" aspect of it...I felt it limited it and made it a more clunky version of a Batman.

Now, if you're talking Montu or Alpengeist? Probably my favorite rides ever...along with the John miller woodies I grew up on.

My point is TOT gets a rumored reskin and all hell brakes loose. Or Cranium Command goes away. This is like loosing EE or RNR.

My point is TOT gets a rumored reskin and all hell brakes loose. Or Cranium Command goes away. This is like loosing EE or RNR.

Universal is replacing it with something ...not mothballing it or putting on a theme that doesn't fit.

It served their purpose...now they are upping the ante.

If this is a pooh bear playground...then I'll criticize them. They've earned the benefit of the doubt more than the rats down the street.

Universal is replacing it with something ...not mothballing it or putting on a theme that doesn't fit.

It served their purpose...now they are upping the ante.

If this is a pooh bear playground...then I'll criticize them. They've earned the benefit of the doubt more than the rats down the street.

Then EE, TOT and RNR have served their purpose as well. Yes changing it is great news, maybe to something even better. But loosing a top 5 attraction, maybe top 3 is a bit extreme.

Ain't nothing on a coaster at Universal or Disney that matches the sheer joy of your butt floating out of your seat on the double-dip on the Jack Rabbit. Especially if you're in the back row.

The only ride to ever make my stomach feel like that...first ever rollercoaster...

Though I like the Racer or the T-Bolt for pure fun...

American treasures...everybody should experience them.

Then EE, TOT and RNR have served their purpose as well. Yes changing it is great news, maybe to something even better. But loosing a top 5 attraction, maybe top 3 is a bit extreme.

They're not putting in be our guest...they're being removed for a major attraction/experience.

Though I hope it's for a non-simulator...you know...cause they've done that...and now others have got the "bright idea"...cough...to do the same thing.

They're not putting in be our guest...they're being removed for a major attraction/experience.

Though I hope it's for a non-simulator...you know...cause they've done that...and now others have got the "bright idea"...cough...to do the same thing.

Universal has specifically stated it will be a highly themed coaster, not a simulator. So that's good news.

Universal has specifically stated it will be a highly themed coaster, not a simulator. So that's good news.

And what flew completely past the tower when you go out of your way to make some kind of pixie pounder defense of Disney's laziness...ehhh?

You're crazy if FoP isn't considered a thrill ride. It may not be a gravity ride, but it sure has the ability to make people nauseous, it is incredibly thrilling and it has a height limit. You likely wouldn't take your 3-yr old on it or your pregnant wife. Two star wars rides are intended as D/E ticket, Tron is E-ticket. TSL you might have a point, but that land almost looks like a cheap carnival area at this point. We'll have to wait and see what it really looks like when finished. I could be wrong there. So, seven new attractions starting this year and more than half are geared towards thrill seekers. Have you seen the wait for Peter Pan? How about we create some fun attractions for younger visitors with the characters and stories they love and enjoy?

Then color me crazy. Images flashing around on a screen does not constitute a thrill ride for me. You could argue Mickey's Philharmagic is a thrill ride too by that. And I think the height requirement is due to the nutty way they designed the seats.

Then color me crazy. Images flashing around on a screen does not constitute a thrill ride for me. You could argue Mickey's Philharmagic is a thrill ride too by that. And I think the height requirement is due to the nutty way they designed the seats.

Me too...save me a seat.

I'm looking forward to trying the flight of the wounded dragon...or whatever it is...no doubt. If I fit...i'm rather tall...

But...and this point isn't going away...I honor the da Vinci code and agree that Isaac newton was right to study motion. No Better way to excite the mind to think it's moving like...you know...moving.

Why do I bring this up? Star Wars...millennium falcon on a stick better be 1000x a better experience than star tours...

I'm not comparing age of parks. I'm simply saying that US is replacing a ride that is only 18 years old. It is hard to say what would happen if they were larger but US could also just keep DC in place as is and not change anything.
I think it's just a difference in opinion then. Age of parks to me is important when comparing age of rides at least in the way that you had framed your comment.

IOA opened May 28th, 1999 and is the exact date that DC located inside IOA opened as well. So a ride that has only been open 18 years is actually part of the original opening of IOA.

My point about the land aspect is thinking would Universal be even a tiny bit more like WDW in keeping rides for long long times if they had more space for expansions like WDW has. I'm intrigued on what they will or won't do once they eventually do a another theme park (which will eventually come but maybe not anytime soon in the foreseeable future). Will they focus a lot on the new park and just let the two existing ones stay more stagnant.

I think it's just a difference in opinion then. Age of parks to me is important when comparing age of rides at least in the way that you had framed your comment.

IOA opened May 28th, 1999 and is the exact date that DC located inside IOA opened as well. So a ride that has only been open 18 years is actually part of the original opening of IOA.

My point about the land aspect is thinking would Universal be even a tiny bit more like WDW in keeping rides for long long times if they had more space for expansions like WDW has. I'm intrigued on what they will or won't do once they eventually do a another theme park (which will eventually come but maybe not anytime soon in the foreseeable future). Will they focus a lot on the new park and just let the two existing ones stay more stagnant.

I actually like that they are willing to pull a 20 yr ride out.

One of the pitfalls disney falls into at times is trying to make EVERYTHING a classic...

Some things are...small world, pirates, etc...

Some need to go and don't have a 30 year service life.

Like we are 16 years into "new" imagination...it's disgusting. It makes the whole park look bad.

They rethemed two coaster over at IOA to get potter up because the IP was a sure hit. They chose speed over caution.

Now that they built the second section and have added a lot of other things on their properties...they're going back and eliminating one of those stopgaps...

I hate to see coasters go...but this makes sense.

I actually like that they are willing to pull a 20 yr ride out.

One of the pitfalls disney falls into at times is trying to make EVERYTHING a classic...

Some things are...small world, pirates, etc...

Some need to go and don't have a 30 year service life.

Like we are 16 years into "new" imagination...it's disgusting. It makes the whole park look bad.

They rethemed two coaster over at IOA to get potter up because the IP was a sure hit. They chose speed over caution.

Now that they built the second section and have added a lot of other things on their properties...they're going back and eliminating one of those stopgaps...

I hate to see coasters go...but this makes sense.

Yep. And US knows the amount of area DC takes up. It quite a chunk. They could probably add 3 attractions in that space over time. Just think of what Disney could do with the Speedway area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter